Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd love to jump back to amd if they had a flagship GPU at a sensible price (700-800)

Sensible price? The price of a entire PC is not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sensible price? The price of a entire PC is not sensible.

It might be sensible to him though.

I couldn't justify that sort of money for a GPU but if you earn 100k+ €700 is nothing. Or if you don't drink or smoke you'd have a few euro extra lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It might be sensible to him though.

I couldn't justify that sort of money for a GPU but if you earn 100k+ €700 is nothing. Or if you don't drink or smoke you'd have a few euro extra lying around.

I don't earn any great amount of money but my mortgage is low, and I don't drink a lot, I spend money on things I like, so computers, mountain bikes, holidays etc. Saying that, 800 is the limit for a single component like a GPU. And the majority of the time I'm able to sell on my current GPU to offset the cost. I'm an enthusiast and I play at 4k, so I need high end hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,360 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has anyone installed win 10 1903 yet on AMD?
    I also updated my chipset

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-may-2019-update-brings-amd-performance-boost

just ran 3DMark and my score on Firestrike went from 17753 to 18902

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Skerries wrote: »

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-may-2019-update-brings-amd-performance-boost

I updated on Wednesday to get GamePass Ultimate. Will run 3D Mark tomorrow and see if my scores increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

B550 boards won't arrive until 2020 apparently according to this:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/256547/asmedia-sourced-amd-b550-a520-chipset-motherboards-arrive-in-2020

This was also saying the X570 boards are to be quite expensive, although some of the prices they list don't suggest they'll be that different to the X470 boards. The more standard boards anyway, the "extreme" stuff was always crazy expensive.

https://www.techpowerup.com/256443/alleged-asus-amd-x570-motherboard-price-list-paints-a-horror-story

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

X590 boards on the way as well with more PCIe lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd imagine they are going to be silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That seems like a really weird move to me.

The CPU only has so many lanes. What are they going to do, multiplex more into the chipset? You'll still be bandwidth limited. And that's not mentioning the fact that by doing this they'd make Threadripper 3000 even more niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Can only imagine how much the x590 boards will cost,if the rumoured x570 boards are 60% more expensive than equivalent x470 at launch..

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »

The CPU only has so many lanes. What are they going to do, multiplex more into the chipset? You'll still be bandwidth limited. And that's not mentioning the fact that by doing this they'd make Threadripper 3000 even more niche.
    Trolling Intel & their Z390 is the 1st thing that comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Inviere

So I'll be building a new rig for someone for Christmas, and was planning a Zen 2 build. I don't fancy the extra cost of the Z570's, and can't wait until next year for the B550's, so Z470 seems the only option for a 'sensible-performance' build this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    So I'll be building a new rig for someone for Christmas, and was planning a Zen 2 build. I don't fancy the extra cost of the Z570's, and can't wait until next year for the B550's, so Z470 seems the only option for a 'sensible-performance' build this year?

B450 is fine too, as long as you're staying under 8 core you should be grand if the VRM doesn't suck.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    B450 is fine too, as long as you're staying under 8 core you should be grand if the VRM doesn't suck.

I'd be looking at between the 3700X and the 3800X, so figured a Z level board would be needed no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

X not Z. Just thought I would point that out.

No it's not Intel so a b board can overclock as well as a X. But X has more features like Lanes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Serephucus wrote: »

Threadripper will still have more lanes and up the twice the amount of cores. Don't think it will disrupt that market too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Threadripper will still have more lanes and up the twice the amount of cores. Don't think it will disrupt that market too much.

I know. I'm very keenly eyeing a Threadripper 3000 upgrade myself. ;) I just think it's a really narrow market. EPCY isn't that much more expensive, and there are workstation boards for Threadripper that are comparable to EPYC as well.

Maybe it won't disrupt things too much, we'll have to see. From specs though, it does seem like there's going to be a lot of overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

will56 wrote: »
    329USD is what AMD have said for the 3700X. Based on that, €350 is probably a good best case figure for us over here.

Although in the short term, I would expect a bit of a shortage and elevated prices until the supply increases. I'd say it'll be quite a while before we see the 3700X for €350.

Time will tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

z0oT wrote: »
    329USD is what AMD have said for the 3700X. Based on that, €350 is probably a good best case figure for us over here.

Although in the short term, I would expect a bit of a shortage and elevated prices until the supply increases. I'd say it'll be quite a while before we see the 3700X for €350.

Time will tell though.

Might we worth holding tight until Cyber Monday end of year to see the better deals/bundles ?

• Advertisement

will56 wrote: »
    Might we worth holding tight until Cyber Monday end of year to see the better deals/bundles ?
    Certainly could be.

I think I'm holding tight for a B550 ITX motherboard. I remember seeing that we might have to wait until 2020 for those.

I don't particularly like the idea of a chipset fan, and I don't think PCIe 4.0 will matter for a long time to come, but I'm guessing the PCIe 4.0 will still be on all the lanes connected to the CPU at least on the B550 stuff.

That should be fine for a GPU & an NVMe SSD which is what most will want anyway.

Skerries wrote: »

It seems to have effect on apps that only really scale to 1 CCX on current gen Ryzen.

z0oT wrote: »
    Certainly could be.

I think I'm holding tight for a B550 ITX motherboard. I remember seeing that we might have to wait until 2020 for those.

I don't particularly like the idea of a chipset fan, and I don't think PCIe 4.0 will matter for a long time to come, but I'm guessing the PCIe 4.0 will still be on all the lanes connected to the CPU at least on the B550 stuff.

That should be fine for a GPU & an NVMe SSD which is what most will want anyway.
    You could also just get MSI B450I-Gaming Plus AC or ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming, they're rated highly suitable for overclocked 8-cores.

The MSI has better VRM but the ASUS has dual-M2.

You could also just get MSI B450I-Gaming Plus AC or ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming, they're rated highly suitable for overclocked 8-cores.

The MSI has better VRM but the ASUS has dual-M2.
    Definitely an option yes. I have a Ryzen 3 2200G in my server too so no issues flashing a new B450 board if I have to.

I actually didn't think the PCIe lanes connected to the CPU would actually run at 4.0 speeds if you put a Zen 2 into a B450, but it doesn't seem that'll be true, at least in the case of Gigabyte boards...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html

Not sure if there's been any word from ASRock, Asus or MSI yet.

Are we expecting Zen 1.5 prices to drop any further, once Zen 2 hits shelves? Am mulling between a Ryzen 2600 and 2700 (for an Unraid build, not a gaming rig) and am not sure if buying now is a great idea?

Inviere wrote: »
    Are we expecting Zen 1.5 prices to drop any further, once Zen 2 hits shelves? Am mulling between a Ryzen 2600 and 2700 (for an Unraid build, not a gaming rig) and am not sure if buying now is a great idea?

I'm surprised Zen 1 is still in stock anywhere tbh.

Both older generations have probably been out of production for a few weeks/months at this stage, if you see a big drop (30-50) you might want to buy.

Good spot - I'd say €130 is about as lot as they're going to go before getting hard to find? Any crystal ball readings on the 2700, it's still over €200...

I'm surprised Zen 1 is still in stock anywhere tbh.

Both older generations have probably been out of production for a few weeks/months at this stage, if you see a big drop (30-50) you might want to buy.

I think Zen 1 is still being produced and I would take a guess that they can sell at those prices and still turn a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've seen the 1700 for as little as £130, for a general productivity/editing machine, that's pretty insane value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Advertisement