Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I actually think the 3000 series CPU's are going to perform really, really well which is evident from board manufacturers bringing out premium motherboards this time round as they would have had Zen 2 samples right from early engineering samples to samples giving to them in the past month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Give it a few months and more budget orientated motherboards will hit the market. It's common to do this, to make the best profit margin by offering premium-style products to early adopters. People sitting on the bench then will get enticed with the lower budget tier offerings etc.

Give it a few months and more budget orientated motherboards will hit the market. It's common to do this, to make the best profit margin by offering premium-style products to early adopters. People sitting on the bench then will get enticed with the lower budget tier offerings etc.

Why didn't they do it with Zen 1 and Zen+?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Ryzen wasn't a proven platform. They had to release attractively priced components to entice adoption. Now that the platform is proven, they can move to a more... profitable model.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Considering the pricing of the boards and cpu's I'll probably be going for an 8 core part for now.

Tempted to snap up 32gb of ddr4 now while it's cheap. It's only €160 for 32gb of that Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz. Not the fastest but at that price you can't go wrong. I have a feeling it's going to go up after Ryzen release.

Those things are gonna sell like hot cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Double Height, double capacity. I'm not sure if they are compatible with every motherboard or if you can use 4 of them. I just remember watching a video from steve on Gamers Nexus about them. I also did not read through the link below. I just googled and posted the first link.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13399/double-height-double-capacity-zadak-ddr4-32gb

edit: Just reading through the article and 64GB is the max a mainstream desktop can do.

you can buy normal 32gb Udimm's but they are rare and not very fast. I think 16gb dimms will be around for a while.

https://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/memory/samsung-32gb-ddr4-pc4-21300-2666mhz-288-pin-dimm-1-2v-cl-19-desktop-ram-memory-module/

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Im planning on going the 3700x route myself,im currently using 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 2400mhz memory.would it be an idea now to bite the bullet on 32gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram now do you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm keeping an eye on prices. If they climb by, say, 15. June I'll buy, else I can wait til July payday.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Im planning on going the 3700x route myself,im currently using 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 2400mhz memory.would it be an idea now to bite the bullet on 32gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram now do you guys reckon?

Wait for reviews and give it a week or two, its very possible with the new design and cache, Ryzen 2 might not require "fast" memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I have a 16GB kit of 3200 C16 Dark Pro lying around... should suffice.

Gibbo of OcUK was bigging up Ryzen 2's RAM overclocks on their forums - made 4000 sound easy with good RAM, but he's a salesman first and foremost I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Wait for reviews and give it a week or two, its very possible with the new design and cache, Ryzen 2 might not require "fast" memory.
    I've my eye on this kit to upgrade from the 32gb kit:
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/64GB-G-Skill-RipJaws-V-schwarz-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Quad-Kit_1017417.html
    but going to wait until we see reviews. Would be a waste buying fast ram if its not needed.

It will still be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

deceit wrote: »
    I've my eye on this kit to upgrade from the 32gb kit:
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/64GB-G-Skill-RipJaws-V-schwarz-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Quad-Kit_1017417.html
    but going to wait until we see reviews. Would be a waste buying fast ram if its not needed.

I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use all 4 dimm slots because it impacts performance.

Now I can't remember if that was for Intel or AMD, or where I read it but it might be worth looking into.

It doesn't impact performance it(well kind of) What gets impacted is Memory speed and timings are looser. You can get faster RAM speed and timings with just 2 sockets populated.

Memory overclocking is also much harder with 4 DIMMs compared to 2.

One of the reasons the Asus ROG Corsshair VIII Impact is a DTX with 2 RAM slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Samsung have agreed to put "RDNA" licenced architecture into smartphones.

https://m.gsmarena.com/amd_and_samsung_announce_strategic_partnership_-news-37377.php

Anandtech see it as most likely patent coverage though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14483/samsung-and-amd-announce-multiyear-strategic-graphics-ip-licensing-deal-for-slsi-mobile-gpus

There must be something good in this that goes beyond what we've seen as AMD has struggled to get radeon into laptops on a performance per watt basis, never mind smartphones. Mind you samsung can't get design wins for their own chips in their own phones for the same reason so maybe they're not good judges!

Still, good expansion for AMD and anything that might improve competition in gpu is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Decent announcements from AMD just now. CPU's and GPU's look great value for money and all available next month (besides the 16c/32t cpu which will be in september).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Really good showing, with Ryzen in particular.

Decent announcements from AMD just now. CPU's and GPU's look great value for money and all available next month (besides the 16c/32t cpu which will be in september).

Is it a great showing with the gpus though?

Roughly matching the lower end 20 series in performance and price a year later without the extra cores that the 20 series has.

Nvidia is about to release faster variants of the 20 series at lower prices.

I can understand the premium pricing on Ryzen. They have earned it. They haven't earned the trust in their gpu division to price 250mm gpus at around €500.

I'll be just going for the updated 2060 or 2070 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

BloodBath wrote: »
    Is it a great showing with the gpus though?

Roughly matching the lower end 20 series in performance and price a year later without the extra cores that the 20 series has.

Nvidia is about to release faster variants of the 20 series at lower prices.

I can understand the premium pricing on Ryzen. They have earned it. They haven't earned the trust in their gpu division to price 250mm gpus at around €500.

I'll be just going for the updated 2060 or 2070 instead.

Seems to be the general consensus online as well.
    People were hoping for either better performance or lower prices.

• Advertisement

The 5700 xt is cheaper and faster than the 2070 that's not lower end, that's damned good value for money. Nobody expected something the that could outperform a RTX Titan for $500 so why would people not be happy with what we got? Who really cares about the extra cores on Nvidia cards, they're effectively useless for the next 2-3 years anyway. Raytracing is not ready for mainstream high fps and won't be anytime soon. DLSS is also a bit of a busted flush.

Will wait for benchmarks to be sure of course but overall it's pretty disappointing so far.

These are Polaris level gpu's in terms of size and memory priced at nearly double that of Polaris.

The 2070 die size is 445mm squared. The top Navi is 250mm. Die size is completely relevant to cost price. They use the same memory. There is no way they should be in the same price ball park. Yields must be low or something. Otherwise this is terrible marketing.

Is it faster? They said 15% faster in 1 game that favors AMD as it uses Vulkan.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

Good showing on the 16 core CPU, cheaper than I would have thought and same TDP as my 2700x wow.

I want to upgrade my 780ti to something that can handle UW 1440p.

I was waiting for the 5700 but it's more expensive than I would have thought so I'm a bit disappointed on that. Was eyeing spending 300 or so, but I might as well get a second hand pascal card. I'm totally out of the loop on GPUs so no idea if a 5700 be that much of an uplift from a 780ti

finlaycm wrote: »
    Good showing on the 16 core CPU, cheaper than I would have thought and same TDP as my 2700x wow.

I want to upgrade my 780ti to something that can handle UW 1440p.

I was waiting for the 5700 but it's more expensive than I would have thought so I'm a bit disappointed on that. Was eyeing spending 300 or so, but I might as well get a second hand pascal card. I'm totally out of the loop on GPUs so no idea if a 5700 be that much of an uplift from a 780ti

It would be a massive uplift. Your current card is 6 almost 6 years old. Any half decent Pascal or Polaris card will be a huge upgrade. Even a second hand 6gb 1060 or 8gb RX570 would be worthwhile upgrades for you right now.

If you don't want to spend more than 300 your best bet right now would be along the lines of a Vega 56, gtx 1070 or gtx 1660, all can be got for decent prices at the minute.

Or spend a little extra in a month's time (wait for benchmarks) for whatevers best between the 2060 and 5700.

will56 wrote: »
    Seems to be the general consensus online as well.
    People were hoping for either better performance or lower prices.

People can hope what they want, AMD is sadly in the position that even if they did release a 2080ti killer, people would just sit back and wait for the 2080ti to drop in price.

Right now, AMD can sell a smaller chip with what I assume is a better profit margin against Nvidias RTX lineup and compete(allegedly) because Nvidia is priced so damm high for what they are. So why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

People can hope what they want, AMD is sadly in the position that even if they did release a 2080ti killer, people would just sit back and wait for the 2080ti to drop in price.

Right now, AMD can sell a smaller chip with what I assume is a better profit margin against Nvidias RTX lineup and compete(allegedly) because Nvidia is priced so damm high for what they are. So why not?

I'd love to jump back to amd if they had a flagship GPU at a sensible price (700-800)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd love to jump back to amd if they had a flagship GPU at a sensible price (700-800)

Is the Radeon VII not around €750?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is the Radeon VII not around €750?

yes but it only trades blows with a 1080ti if that, i have a 1080ti so it would be a pointless sidegrade. As a point of interest i bought my 1080ti around 2.5 years ago for around 800, the vii, a card that has just around that level of performance released in 2019 is basically the same price. Not a nvidia shill either, their just as guilty for making the gpu space useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

AMD's strategy for the last two generations has been to target the mid-range first and bring something to the high end at a later date.

There'll likely be higher end stuff than the RX 5700XT that'll target the GTX 2080 & 2080Ti.

Although I kind of agree with some of the negative sentiment above as Nvidia aren't standing still. But I wouldn't rule out myself getting a RX 5700XT as an upgrade to my GTX 1070 in the future assuming reviews of it are good.

Advertisement