Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

no, but having fun in AH is what AH is about :D:D

Relax my friend :eek:

Actually no. You don't get to set the rules. I am making the point that this man has not been proven guilty of anything. If that ruins your fun, grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Not going to accuse him of guilty . BBC have this up

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450

"Police say Mr Hickey, who also heads the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), tried to escape when they came for him.

They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently. "

Panic much . and then to take ill

Also The recommending of John Delaney that is just shocking.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He wasn't arrested in Ireland. And are you saying that you know better than the Brazilian authorities?

No. I am saying he has not been proven guilty of any crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is AH, high horses not allowed here. :D

Not even this one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not a fiddlers indeed. Of course we can learn about focusing money on certain events such as cycling or rowing if getting more medals is our aim. We won't hear about Laura Trott or her partner again for another 4 years at least so they are of no benefit to Irish people.

No benefit, no need, not a fiddlers ...

Well I for one think the cycling races @ the Velodrome were fantastic. Trott, Kenny, Wiggins & Co certainly gave me feel good winning feeling! but then, that's just me.

Maybe some of our cyclists should travel over to Manchester and train there for the next Olympics. Some of that winners gold might rub off on prospective Irish 2020 Olympic cyclists?

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    Not going to accuse him of guilty . BBC have this up

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450

"Police say Mr Hickey, who also heads the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), tried to escape when they came for him.

They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently. "

Panic much . and then to take ill

Also The recommending of John Delaney that is just shocking.

He's over 70 years old. He is getting arrested in Brazil. You expect him to be grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

According to BBC World. News...

"The head of the European Olympic Committees, Patrick Hickey, has been arrested in Rio over illegal Olympic ticket sales, Brazilian media report.

Mr Hickey, 71, is suspected of illegally passing on tickets for the Games to be sold on at extortionate prices, the reports say.
    His arrest comes days after a man was caught in Rio with 800 illegal tickets.

Police say Mr Hickey, who also heads the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), tried to escape when they came for him.

They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently.

After he was arrested he was taken ill and received medical attention, reports say.
    Brazilian media believe Mr Hickey's arrest is related to that of fellow Irishman Kevin James Mallon on the day of the opening ceremony."

Some strange goings on,if you are to believe the half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is that how they are chosen? Hand picked by the one leaving the job?

Hickey has been in situ as President of the OCI since 1989 so it is not often the job comes up. He has made the position into his own little fiefdom.

He is already on record of giving his job to John Delaney, without an open process to select the best person for the job. Given the mess Delaney has made of the FAI that person certainly is not him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

LorMal wrote: »
    Furthermore, there is zero evidence to date that Pat Hickey was involved in anything corrupt.

His son was staying in the hotel room next to his, presumably on a free holiday on the OCI's (ie taxpayer) tab. There's some corruption right there before even getting into the whole ticket thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

this man has not been proven guilty of anything. If that ruins your fun, grow up.

Neither was Charlie Haughey
    Didn't make him innocent though.
    Some of us have been waiting decades to this fcuker , who once described himself as untouchable get his comeuppance.
    A great day for Irish Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In my mind the biggest laugh here is that it is the Brazilians that are exposing this.

The Brazilians have contributed more corruption, to FIFA anyway, than most countries put together.

Never forget the guy that supported and was the predecessor of old Sepp Blatter was none other than Rio's own Joao Havelange.
    The guy who with his son in law were accused of taking $41 million in bribes.

Anyway here is hoping Pat gets well soon so he can move to a nice Brazilian jail cell. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very possibly - as part of an investigation. You don't know, I don't know. Not every Irish person who has been arrested abroad is guilty (as we know all too well)
    To be fair, if he was 100% in the mire on this one, one would have expected him to feign a very serious illness and fly home rather than risk getting picked up by the Brazilian authorities. So it may just be a routine arrest as part of the inquiry.

sabat wrote: »
    His son was staying in the hotel room next to his, presumably on a free holiday on the OCI's (ie taxpayer) tab. There's some corruption right there before even getting into the whole ticket thing.

'Presumably' doesn't cut it. The hotel room was being paid for by the IOC, not the OCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

sabat wrote: »

Would that be the son who Romario (btw smash he is a famous ex Brazilian footballer and now politican), asked questions about in 2012 about how come his company was getting tickets from IOC for olympics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Actually no. You don't get to set the rules. I am making the point that this man has not been proven guilty of anything. If that ruins your fun, grow up.

Can I point you in the direction of politics cafe? They have a more serious tone than AH.

Relax my friend, have a laugh, I promise it wont hurt ya. :D:D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

smash wrote: »
    Right. So he's suspected of illegally passing on tickets then. Why the hell didn't Breaking News say that?

You understand what 'breaking news' means right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    According to Brazilian newspaper Estadao, Hickey, also President of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), was arrested this morning at his hotel here in Rio.

The 71-year-old was also reportedly taken to hospital after being taken ill at the time he got arrested.

A sudden attack of the Angela Kearns, caught rapid syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Not a fiddlers indeed. Of course we can learn about focusing money on certain events such as cycling or rowing if getting more medals is our aim. We won't hear about Laura Trott or her partner again for another 4 years at least so they are of no benefit to Irish people.

No benefit to Irish people?

They are a group of our neighbours who displayed a masterclass in discipline, training, ambition, fitness and success at the highest level. I found watching it inspirational.

I would hope that some Irish people a lot younger than me would aspire to be the best they can be by relating to these people. Sure Jason Kenny has the head of an Irish fella!

Having said all that, the corruption which is clear to see in a lot of areas is sickening and will surely have the opposite effect to what I have just described above..

Alive1 wrote: »
    Neither was Charlie Haughey
    Didn't make him innocent though.
    Some of us have been waiting decades to this fcuker , who once described himself as untouchable get his comeuppance.
    A great day for Irish Sport.

Charlie Haughey's guilt does not make Pat hickey guilty. I am not even suggesting he is innocent - I am stating that nothing has been proven yet and it is only fair not to hang him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I am sure Mr Hickey will be pleased to have the opportunity to clear up this mess once and for all. While there is no question of any wrong doing on his part, the IOC's, or its relationship with THG, a clear the air exchange of views should be productive as a means of putting this matter to rest. It is unfortunate that this process will interrupt Pat Hickey's work on behalf of Ireland and its athletes while the games are still in progress. This is unfortunate for the athletes and teams there, but hopefully they will be unaffected by this distraction and still give their all in their events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

This fact alone is why the Irish Olympic "family" should be ashamed. The guy is like Sepp Blatter, a little Buddha, second rate demi god looking after those he needs to keep onside.

And his replacment is John Delaney! Yep Vice president of the OCI! To be honest the issues faced by the OCI are pretty much the same for nearly every international Olympic committee and not unique to Ireland.

Considering the contracts Rio/Brazil sign to host the Olympics it is highly surprising he was arrested! However it might have something to do with distracting from the comments of one Mr Conolan last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

LordSutch wrote: »
    No benefit, no need, not a fiddlers ...

Well I for one think the cycling races @ the Velodrome were fantastic. Trott, Kenny, Wiggins & Co certainly gave me feel good winning feeling! but then, that's just me.

Maybe some of our cyclists should travel over to Manchester and train there for the next Olympics.

Various athletes go to various countries to train. If it benefitted an athlete of course go wherever like many go to USA including Brits.

the O Donovan brother and their performance will be an inspiration to Irish people as will Thomas Barr and Annalise Murphy. They are after all Irish and will be an encouragement to fellow Irish athletes.

Can I point you in the direction of politics cafe? They have a more serious tone than AH.

Relax my friend, have a laugh, I promise it wont hurt ya. :D:D

If you ask them nicely, I am sure Boards will make you a Mod. In the meantime, stop modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You understand what 'breaking news' means right?

Well going by the article as it was linked in the OP with its complete lack of detail it would be considered clickbate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

The bould Pat Hickey is very cliquey
    Renowned for being a right arselickey
    This morning as he had a quickie
    The cops burst in while he held his mickey
    His shlt it did then go all bricky
    So he went and tried to fake a sickie
    For Teflon Pat this problem's tricky
    These charges could prove awful sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Irishman rotting in Brazilian Jail..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Don't worry about Delaney taking over the OCI. There is only a €70000 honorarium available....Oh I forgot....there are perks too.....though it is difficult to imagine greater perks than currently at FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

If you ask them nicely, I am sure Boards will make you a Mod. In the meantime, stop modding.

Now you are getting it, a little humor, well done my friend, you are getting the spirit of AH :D:D:D:D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RayM wrote: »
    What is it about bosses of sporting organisations? So many of them are dodgy, mediocre middle-aged/elderly men with a massive excess of confidence and little else. Absolutely delighted to hear this.
    All involved in giving each other backhanders and doing "favours" for each other.

http://www.the42.ie/pat-hickey-john-delaney-ioc-olympics-fai-2912926-Aug2016/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I am sure Mr Hickey will be pleased to have the opportunity to clear up this mess once and for all. While there is no question of any wrong doing on his part, the IOC's, or its relationship with THG, a clear the air exchange of views should be productive as a means of putting this matter to rest. It is unfortunate that this process will interrupt Pat Hickey's work on behalf of Ireland and its athletes while the games are still in progress. This is unfortunate for the athletes and teams there, but hopefully they will be unaffected by this distraction and still give their all in their events.

Who is left to compete apart from Barr? I doubt Hickey's work will have any impact whatsoever on Barr's preparation or performance.

He essentially told Shane Ross to F-off and mind his own business. He'll regret that.

Advertisement