Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Has anyone else been completely ignoring this story? I kind of feel like reading up on it now but if someone can explain it in one sentence that would be great!
    Pat tried to put Shane back in his box but ended up in a box himself.

Letree wrote: »
    McIlroy didn't go because he didn't want to represent ireland and have to stand under a tricolour.
    The sponsorship was a big part of it too. Perhaps also Mcilory doesnt identify himself as irish or british but northern irish or ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have some mens 100m final tickets at hugely inflated prices if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Keplar240B wrote: »
    unpaid Irish mercenaries sacked Rio in 1828

I'd never read about that, despite my love of Latin American history. Fascinating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Has anyone else been completely ignoring this story? I kind of feel like reading up on it now but if someone can explain it in one sentence that would be great!

Head of Olympic Council of Ireland gets arrested and charged for touting Irelands allocation of tickets at hugely inflated prices presumably for personal gain and effectively running a cartel whilst stating that he is answerable to nobody, including our elected Minister for Sport.

Think that's it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

brazilian police have been busy....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37108746

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ebbsy wrote: »
    I have some mens 100m final tickets at hugely inflated prices if anyone is interested.
    That race from last Saturday?

How much????

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Naked Head of Olympic Council of Ireland gets arrested and charged for touting Irelands allocation of tickets at hugely inflated prices for personal gain and effectively running a cartel whilst stating that he is answerable to nobody, including our elected Minister for Sport.

Think that's it...

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's exactly it. Everyone knows it goes on yet we just moan at home and do fcuk all about it. Not to derail but the water charges protests were the first bit of fight against corruption we know that exists from Irish people. Its endemic in our society.

Finally we are becoming more aware and less tolerant.

Hopefully, the sneaking regard for the cute hoor might be on the way out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Head of Olympic Council of Ireland gets arrested and charged for touting Irelands allocation of tickets at hugely inflated prices for personal gain and effectively running a cartel whilst stating that he is answerable to nobody, including our elected Minister for Sport.

Think that's it...

There would have to be a statutory basis to any claims from Ross that the IOC was accountable to him. The fact that Hickey effectively told him to **** off and got away with it confirms that Ross had no legal basis to make the demands he did.

An arrest does not mean a conviction: there is a ways to travel yet with this case. If the Brazilians are trying to deflect from the shambolic nature of the games so far they have failed. The arrest with video available of it looks staged and aides questions about the purpose of the arrest.

Hickey has been an arrogant prick for a long time: it remains to be established if he was also corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Obviously pricing the tickets too much as there are constantly **** all people in the stadiums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

I'm sure pat hickeys bank accounts must be in a very healthy balance if this was a ongoing get rich scheme at every Olympics over the years!!

Head of Olympic Council of Ireland gets arrested and charged for touting Irelands allocation of tickets at hugely inflated prices presumably for personal gain and effectively running a cartel whilst stating that he is answerable to nobody, including our elected Minister for Sport.

Think that's it...

Ow wow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Letree wrote: »
    McIlroy didn't go because he didn't want to represent ireland and have to stand under a tricolour.

Hickey iirc tried to sway him to play for Ireland by offering him the chance carry said tricolor into the opening ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

ebbsy wrote: »

Feeling better pat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,851 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can someone clarify for me how they were selling tickets at inflated prices when there's nobody at the events?

On another note, like the death of Nell in the Old Curiosity Shop, you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh...

Hickey iirc tried to sway him to play for Ireland by offering him the chance carry said tricolor into the opening ceremony

Disgraceful if true given what others have gone through to for the chance to represent Ireland at the games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Can someone clarify for me how they were selling tickets at inflated prices when there's nobody at the events?

On another note, like the death of Nell in the Old Curiosity Shop, you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh...

Sold out opening ceremony. This has been explained about 3976 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Weren't a good few of the tickets for things like the opening / closing ceremonies and 100m final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,536 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is it that OCI actually do? It seems the athletes are already covered by each sports federation so apart from getting the gear and organising tickets! what to they actually do?

It seems to be to be just another quango type organisation which does little but reduce the actual funds available to the athletes

• Advertisement

Sorry, can you point to where it was explained in this thread? Must have missed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The tickets were for the opening ceremony - which were highly sought after.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is it that OCI actually do? It seems the athletes are already covered by each sports federation so apart from getting the gear and organising tickets! what to they actually do?

Overarching body. The International Olympic Council will not deal with multiple individual organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/765917514392014848

Say nuttin' Pat!

Put Ross back in his box

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

People buy the tickets = People get influence.

The tickets were for the opening ceremony - which were highly sought after.

Should have told them theyd see Gisele better on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It seems to be to be just another quango type organisation which does little but reduce the actual funds available to the athletes

Ask the International Olympics Committee. I am sure they are white as the driven snow and will supply all the information you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

So no one got to use those tickets
    For Olympics opening ceremony,that's a shame and a waste of those prime tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

Brazilian guard: Senhor phicky, you have won Telefonica call
    Pat: obligado gardo, call Senhor Shano Ross
    Brazilian guard: hokay
    Brazilian guard to irish consulate: oh he is not dspeak, he is in box ! Hokay
    Hickey : bollocks, fcked now...where's those minority sports heads when you need the favours pulled in, hello hello hello .......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pat Hickey implicated in Olympic ticket touting controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its independent from the government, it may receive funding from them but has no real connection afaik

Advertisement