Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭blackcard

On the one hand, I would be amazed if there were not a number of organisations involved in selling tickets for above value prices. Where there is a chance to make a lot of money easily , it is not surprising if people act corruptly. On the other hand, I will suspend my opinion on Pat Hickey until I see the evidence and his response. I would hate to have a jury comprised of some After Hours contributors where you are convicted without trial

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

ya, give the guy the benefit of the doubt

but then again if he had nothing to hide, why get the wife to lie about his whereabouts??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Beasty wrote: »
    That race from last Saturday?

How much????

2000e each. Cash only so no charge backs possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its independent from the government, it may receive funding from them but has no real connection afaik

Hence why I said quango type, rather than a state quango.

But what does it do? Every four years it gives out tracksuits and other sports clothes to athletes and that appears to be it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Nice first class ticket with BA Seat 02E, no 68F for him
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/

Even if he is released without any charges, the seized phone will have yielded valuable insights.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

but then again if he had nothing to hide, why get the wife to lie about his whereabouts??
    Suspicious I agree, still not enough to convict him on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mansize wrote: »

hhmmm! i wonder who leaked that??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

I bit unfair I think. She was asked, I assume, if he was there. She said he wasn't. Turns out she was telling the truth.

You can hardly blame her if Pat told her he was going home and then simply went to the next room to hide out with the son. I mean, you could argue that leaving his plane tickets, passport and all his clothes behind may have been a pointer but I assume that after years of marriage she trusts him completely.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Disgraceful if true given what others have gone through to for the chance to represent Ireland at the games

I agree completely.

Link for reference: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/9595161/Rory-McIlroy-offered-chance-to-carry-flag-at-2016-Rio-Olympics-if-he-pledges-allegiance-to-Ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Did you really think the President of the OCI (and executive member of the IOC) would be travelling at the back of the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

blackcard wrote: »
    I would hate to have a jury comprised of some After Hours contributors where you are convicted without trial

he committed his crimes in Brazil

nothing to do with the bent legal system over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LordSutch wrote: »
    No benefit, no need, not a fiddlers ...

Well I for one think the cycling races @ the Velodrome were fantastic. Trott, Kenny, Wiggins & Co certainly gave me feel good winning feeling! but then, that's just me.

Maybe some of our cyclists should travel over to Manchester and train there for the next Olympics. Some of that winners gold might rub off on prospective Irish 2020 Olympic cyclists?

Good for you .

Seeing as I'm not british I didn't really care one way or the other if they won or not just like everyone else who isn't british didn't care whether they won or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Even if he is released without any charges, the seized phone will have yielded valuable insights.

IOC members - a distinguished group that includes royalty (Prince Albert II of Monaco, Henri the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark) and successful business executives also enjoy generous perks. When on IOC business, members fly first-class, stay in luxury hotels, and also get cash per diems: $450 per day for regular IOC members, $900 per day for the IOC's executive committee.

These rates also apply to the Games themselves, which means in Rio, some IOC members will get paid more to watch the Olympics ($7650, depending on travel schedules) than many athletes will get paid to compete in the Olympics.

Bob Balk is a former Paralympic canoe athlete who attended the 2012 London Games as an IOC volunteer and also received per diem money. He recently recalled his amazement when he learned how much money he and other volunteers were getting to attend the Olympics.

Every morning, Balk said, a crowd of IOC members and volunteers gathered in a hotel room in London to collect their daily spending money.

"They had a $100-bill-counting machine, and people were standing in line to get their stacks of hundred-dollar bills," Balk said. "It was crazy."

The athletes are the very bottom of a trickle-down system, and there's just not much left for us.

Balk, like other IOC members and volunteers, had his flight and hotel bills covered, a car service to get around London, and free meals. When Balk got home, he still had $10,000 in per diem cash, he said, which he just deposited in the bank.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11688583

First class tickets for Pat, paid by the IOC

Hotels paid for.

$900 daily rate even though flights and hotels are paid for.

What do our athletes get?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

he committed his crimes in Brazil

nothing to do with the bent legal system over here

Was you said was beyond idiotic. Bent legal system here in Ireland. How so?

The poster that you replied to referred to the composition of a jury in an Irish case.

There is nothing bent about how a jury is made up in Ireland. The jury decides the facts of the case and who to believe. The jury is a selection of 12 members of the society.

How is it bent?

Moreover, until he is convicted in Brazil, if ever, he has not committed a crime in Brazil

Some people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hotel per day roughly 550e per day... this is gubu g brooks terrority here now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

elastico wrote: »
    First class tickets for Pat, paid by the IOC

Guy on the Last Word reckons that's funded by the tax payers contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

the Irish media must be having orgasms over how the Brazilian police just throw everything out in the open they are so used to the Garda no comment file being prepared kind of responses they must not no themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Aramicon

Mad stuff altogether... this Olympics is filling pages for all the wrong reasons. It does seem fairly choreographed having the arrest recorded, and having those photos so quickly, but maybe the press in Brazil works a little differently. I suppose this has been coming for a few days. Is it strange that they would have been in the hotel at all knowing that arrests had been made.

Anyways- Is this the basic idea of what went down?

> Tickets are allocated by the Olympics to national federations (OCI)

> National federation gives tickets to official authorised ticket re-seller (ATR), a private company (Pro 10), to handle the sales. Do Pro 10 pay a predefined price here for tickets or do they get paid a fixed amount for the re-selling of tickets?

> Some portion of the tickets are not sold in the normal way and are retained and brought to Rio before the Olympics begin. Is there no way to track who tickets were sold to, surely they can be tracked? Do OCI forget about the tickets after handing the process off to Pro 10?

> These unsold tickets are given to an employee of another company (THG), a corporate hospitality agency based in the UK but with an Irish office, who offers them for sale at high prices.

It would take a fair amount of communication between those involved (OCI-Pro 10-THG); there should be a communications trail, and some manner of money trail at the end of it.

It's hard to know what credibility statements from any of these three parties would have until a full investigation is carried out.

It would also be a huge blunder if it turned out that none or little of this actually happened, so they must have gathered some serious evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

LorMal wrote: »
    If you ask them nicely, I am sure Boards will make you a Mod. In the meantime, stop modding.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

secman wrote: »
    Brazilian guard: Senhor phicky, you have won Telefonica call
    Pat: obligado gardo, call Senhor Shano Ross
    Brazilian guard: hokay
    Brazilian guard to irish consulate: oh he is not dspeak, he is in box ! Hokay
    Hickey : bollocks, fcked now...where's those minority sports heads when you need the favours pulled in, hello hello hello .......

https://db.tt/atPKnkPi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

sjb25 wrote: »
    the Irish media must be having orgasms over how the Brazilian police just throw everything out in the open they are so used to the Garda no comment file being prepared kind of responses they must not no themselves

The Guards do that for a very good reason. I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. Don't get me wrong, couldn't happen to a nicer person and I have no doubt he is up to his oxters in dodgy dealings, but there is something very fishy about the way the Brazilians are carrying the whole thing out. It stinks to high heaven of diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems to be very fair to everyone involved.
    An allegation is turned into a charge very quickly.
    Fair on the accused and those affected it would seem to me. Get on with it and clear it up as speedily as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Poor Malachy Clerkin and Ian O'Doherty have had to go and have a nice lie down in a darkened room. They were having way too much fun on the Twitter machine earlier.

Interesting but not conclusive of anything is that Putin and Hickey have both been Presidents of their respective Judo associations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

To be honest I'd say the Irish media are also bricking themselves that they'll report something that will get them sued for libel down the line.

Hickey may be subject to Brazilian law but the Irish media still have to obey Irish libel laws and they're very stringent. And Hickey and his cohorts will sue if there are any grounds whatsoever, no doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

.... Brazilian police just throw everything out in the open they are so used to the Garda no comment file being prepared kind of responses they must not no themselves
    Sometimes they don't even bother with irritating formalities like a fair trial!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33757212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Guards do that for a very good reason. I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. Don't get me wrong, couldn't happen to a nicer person and I have no doubt he is up to his oxters in dodgy dealings, but there is something very fishy about the way the Brazilians are carrying the whole thing out. It stinks to high heaven of diversion.

Diversion from what? Brush up on Hickey and you'll have no surprises about what he's alleged to have done.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Diversion from what? Brush up on Hickey and you'll have no surprises about what he's alleged to have done.

Someone squealed here I reckon.

• Advertisement

Hickey is getting consular assistance no doubt.

Ibrahim Halawa got that too didn't he.

Advertisement