Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

mojesius wrote: »
    I listened to the solicitor's interview on Marian Finucane and Joe Duffy's interrogation of the Brazilian inspector just now. I could only stomach 6mins of JD. The way he spoke to the inspector was outrageous. Radio 1 obviously got the memo in from Pat's 'key media contacts' and have rallied behind the Hickey banner.

I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the same way as the siteserv [redacted] revelations not so long ago, aul Dinny shut the media up good and fast. Seems to be heading in that direction.

They can go on as much of a media offensive as they want here (and it certainly is offensive). It's not going to affect the process that's taking place in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

That solicitor interview is shocking "it could happen to any of us" lol
    The establishment money racket can't even use its own media wing properly

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

ahlookit wrote: »
    They can go on as much of a media offensive as they want here (and it certainly is offensive). It's not going to affect the process that's taking place in Brazil.

And that's the beauty of it.the squealing little piggies will soon realize they were only big fish in a small pond after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Would you ever get real!! No one knows more than Pat Hickey. Wonder how the guys on the executive committee feel about his part in implicating them. Guess they were not too happy to have been called in for questioning by the Rio police. John Delaney is also distancing himself from Hickey's statement. I note that O'Brien, Hickey's No. 1 vice-president, fairly hot-tailed it out of Rio!! Wouldn't you think he would have stuck around to help his pal? After all, I imagine he would know much more than Ross!!

Get real? Would you ever fcuk off with yourself. Ross was like a rat slinking off a sinking ship and nobody in our media has even questioned his actions in the run up to the arrest. He went to a foreign country demanding a meeting with the Head of an Organisation about to be accused of a serious crime in Brazil. The likes of you prefer to ignore this as you're probably one of the muppets who voted for Ross in the last election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

That won't stop them from trying, though.
    I saw elsewhere that Ms. James etc have engaged the services of the PR guru, Paul Allen. Looks like she might need it after that dismal performance on MF yesterday. It appears that the comments in the Indo re that interview have been removed!

Ms.James's statement in the interview was that she was passionate about human rights. She must feel very conflicted so, as the person whom she was defending had no qualms about engaging with totalitarian regimes in Eastern Europe. Hickey awarded the European Games to Azerbaijan where journalists have been thrown in jail for the 'crime' of criticising their leader.

Edit: Correction re Marian Finucane article in the Indo. Not just the comments, but the whole article has been removed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Have the Irish media asked the family solicitor why Hickey's wife lied to police and pretended that Pat had already left the country, if he had done nothing wrong?

They should also be asking how on earth she has the neck to be demanding meetings with TD's and the Taoiseach considering he willingness to pervert the course of justice in another country. The disgraced cunt should be in hiding and counting herself lucky that she's not in prison herself.

This country sickens me at times. Hickey is one of the most prominent figures in world sports administration. Regularly jetting all over the world, attending countless events in any given year. He claims to be out running in the park every day. And now he's in a spot of bother the media portray him as a decrepit frail old-timer who doesn't have the mental wherewithal to survive a couple of weeks in prison.

And lots of people buy into that narrative too. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

buried wrote: »
    That solicitor interview is shocking "it could happen to any of us" lol
    The establishment money racket can't even use its own media wing properly

That seems to be the line with a lot of Hickey's defenders. Heard it on Newstalk the other day also. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That won't stop them from trying, though.
    I saw elsewhere that Ms. James etc have engaged the services of the PR guru, Paul Allen. Looks like she might need it after that dismal performance on MF yesterday. It appears that the comments in the Indo re that interview have been removed!

Is Max Clifford not available:D I sense a sixth ring here.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Most likely a British Citizen also.

He's got two Irish passports. Nothing unusual about that... Someone did the digging on that the other day on this thread and outlined valid reasons for that....lots of travel, Visa applications, etc

He could also have a French passport as his wife is French, that would entitle him to one AFAIK. Of course some of his dictator friends could have given him passports in the last few years too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Willie O'Brien was at the official reception for the athletes at Áras an Uachtaráin yesterday. Along with Shane Ross and Patrick O'Donovan. None of the boxers were there.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0828/812468-olympics-aras-an-uachtarain

(Worth clicking into the article for the photo alone - Annalise Murphy absolutely towers over Michael D :))

From Michael D's speech:
    "Issues of doping, alas never far from the Olympic story in recent years, questionable decision-making by referees and judges during the games, and the controversy around the administration of our sports all deserve serious analysis and fearless responses here at home and internationally.

"Each of these issues, if not adequately addressed, has the potential to undermine public confidence in our athletes, in our sporting administration and in the fairness of international sporting competition itself," he said.

A man of his age would most likely qualify for a UK passport which is why I mentioned it.

Ah...because his parents would have been born under British rule? Hadn't thought of that.

By the way, did you know he's 71? It hasn't been mentioned much 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ah...because his parents would have been born under British rule? Hadn't thought of that.

By the way, did you know he's 71? It hasn't been mentioned much 😉

Citizens of the republic born up to 1949 are entitled to a British passport I think, which would include him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Why do people keep saying he was naked when arrested. You'd think his knob was hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying he was naked when arrested. You'd think his knob was hanging out.

I've never watched the video because I was afraid this was the case. Didn't want see a 71 year old tadger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've never watched the video because I was afraid this was the case. Didn't want see a 71 year old tadger.

He peeks around the door and you see his head and one shoulder, then wanders into a bathroom (blocked by policemen so you don't see anything) and comes out wearing a dressing gown. All very G rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Thoie wrote: »
    He peeks around the door and you see his head and one shoulder, then wanders into a bathroom (blocked by policemen so you don't see anything) and comes out wearing a dressing gown. All very G rated.

Legend has it that he wheels his balls around in wheel barrow. He probably had his tool tucked into his sock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

His solicitor said that any one of us could have ended up in his situation. Sorry but no, we are not all corrupt money grabbing parasites. Most solicitors also have that greed driven mentality, so maybe he assumes that everyone else is the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

If he is innocent of everything well I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong but this has a strong smell of Sepp Blatter of FIFA about it. If he was lining his own pockets out of sheer greed he deserves to be fcuked into the main population of the prison. I am sure he was on a nice salary, expenses and a pension. Greed is a terrible thing, especially when caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Lol, over at the journal there's a new article up 'Why your employer should invest in your education'. Written by none other than director of the communications clinic.

Comments on all Rio articles are still disabled. I guess with the involvement of the CC, the golden circle are trying to wheel out the reinforcements as part of their new distraction strategy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Lol, over at the journal there's a new article up 'Why your employer should invest in your education'. Written by none other than director of the communications clinic.

Comments on all Rio articles are still disabled. I guess with the involvement of the CC, the golden circle are trying fo wheel our the big guns in their new dictractuon tactics 😂

I'm sure it's more to do with the fact that the Journal has been served legal papers about the matter. They certainly haven't been friends to Pat Hickey the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'm sure it's more to do with the fact that the Journal has been served legal papers about the matter. They certainly haven't been friends to Pat Hickey the last few weeks.

The thing is though, from the moment the story broke, comments were disabled. Are the IOC now issuing legal threats preemptively before anyone has even commented? I guess this site must be low in the pecking order to have escaped Mr. Burns team of 10 high priced lawyers so far. :)

I just thought it ironic though that the likes of the CC are putting filler garbage articles up on that site, considering their involvement with the IOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The thing is though, from the moment the story broke, comments were disabled. Are the IOC now issuing legal threats preemptively before anyone has even commented? I guess this site must be low in the pecking order to have escaped Mr. Burns team of 10 high priced lawyers so far. :)

I just thought it ironic though that the likes of the CC are putting filler garbage articles up on that site, considering their involvement with the IOC.
    Your dyslexia is very specific. ;)

Broadsheet are leaving comments open too. Here's their transcript from Marian yesterday. Love the headline

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/27/anyones-godfather/#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Broadsheet are leaving comments open too. Here's their transcript from Marian yesterday. Love the headline

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/27/anyones-godfather/#comments

Only a couple of sentences in, came to the bit about the "miracle baby" and already my gob is well and truly smacked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Throw away the key. He would be no loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I'm still waiting for any kind of response to this, how can any online news site, especially muck filled site like journal.ie with its troll filled anonymous users be held accountable for comments? The accounts are all verified through Twitter and Facebook, are they not just as liable? Where is this piece of law that holds them accountable? The journal picks and chooses on what to leave open for comments depending on who or what is being commented upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Excuse my ignorance but... what's the point of hiring an Irish lawyer in Ireland when the case is happening in Brazil? What does Hickey's family hope the Irish lawyer will do, when she clearly has no knowledge of Brazilian law at all?

Going by that interview with Marian Finucane, Anne Marie James is only embarrassing herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm still waiting for any kind of response to this, how can any online news site, especially muck filled site like journal.ie with its troll filled anonymous users be held accountable for comments? The accounts are all verified through Twitter and Facebook, are they not just as liable? Where is this piece of law that holds them accountable? The journal picks and chooses on what to leave open for comments depending on who or what is being commented upon.
    Twitter and Facebook are only verifying the accounts. The Journal is publishing the comments.

Advertisement