Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    He must be a hardened criminal to deserve being placed in a maximum security prison. 71 year old man. They probably believe he is planning a break out like Chapo did in Mexico.:D

No just treated like anyone else. Granted the very thought that they would be treated the same as everyone else one day must send shivers down the spine of the connected in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How would you propose he get to Ireland?
    The last time entered Ireland a simple "howya" and a flash of the passport did the job. I got the wave before he even seen the ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

No just treated like anyone else. Granted the very thought that they would be treated the same as everyone else one day must send shivers down the spine of the connected in Ireland.

Is everyone in Ireland treated like a criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Even if he gets out of Brazil, nobody is going to extradite over touted tickets. You have to have committed a serious offence to get extradited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Were the press lying or are or you ?

So you believe everything you read in the press then ? As you said yourself - stupid and gullible

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    So you believe everything you read in the press then ? As you said yourself - stupid and gullible

Which is it, was the press lying about original details or are you ?

( Keep panicing, keep avoiding the questions, and thanks for the confirmation I'm on the money )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Isn't one of the execs of The Communcations Clinic also a non exec on the board of RTE?

If so, then a conflict of interest asises with regard to their objectivity dealing with this story.

Would also explain the behaviour of the little gurrier from ballyer during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    He must be a hardened criminal to deserve being placed in a maximum security prison, 71 year old man. I mean they must believe he is planning a break out like Chapo did in Mexico.:D

He's in a sovereign state, with different laws.
    I'm tired of the bleating that goes on about paddies when they get into trouble in a foreign land. Obey the laws and you should be fine. Works for the vast majority of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hickey hid from police, his wife to lied to the police and claimed he left the country, then he pulled a sickie, despite the hospital giving him the all clear, he also hid on the floor of the police car when being transported by the police in an attempt to hide the events from the media. Then when the police finally got to question him he was both uncooperative and evasive. Are these really the actions, that have all been glossed over in recent days, to be expected from a respectable innocent president of the an Olympic council ? Do the appointed PR company employees that are trying to pump the media and social media with green jersey, age and health excuses galore really think the Irish public are that stupid and gullible ?

Haven't you noticed, prime example being the last election, yes they do think we're that stupid.

Which is it, was the press lying about original details or are you ?

( Keep panicing, keep avoiding the questions, and thanks for the confirmation I'm on the money )

Doesn't have to be either , things are not always as black and white as you seem to think . Me - I am happy to wait for the trial and conviction before I hang anyone.

And Hickey being an obnoxious arrogant twat is not a crime - at least not yet.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Haven't you noticed, prime example being the last election, yes they do think we're that stupid.

The problem there is that the establishment ensures that all the candidates are equally crap, so the only other choice is not to vote.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The problem there is that the establishment ensures that all the candidates are equally crap, so the only other choice is not to vote.

Always vote

Me - I am happy to wait for the trial and conviction before I hang anyone.

And Hickey being an obnoxious arrogant twat is not a crime - at least not yet.

Hickey is innocent until proven guilty in a Brazilian court of law. I never said otherwise so your attempts to pretend that I have fail.

Hickey hid from police, his wife to lied to the police and claimed he left the country, then he pulled a sickie, despite the hospital giving him the all clear, he also hid on the floor of the police car when being transported by the police in an attempt to hide the events from the media.

Are these the normal actions of an innocent decent citizen, never mind a President of the OCI ?

Tell us how you would behave as President of the OCI if the police in Brazil came knocking on your hotel door. Would you hide under the bed in another room ? get your partner to lie to the police ? Hide on the floor of the police car from the media ? And then refuse to co-operate with the Police investigation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Tell us how you would behave as President of the OCI if the police in Brazil came knocking on your hotel door. Would you hide under the bed in another room ? get your partner to lie to the police ? Hide on the floor of the police car from the media ? And then refuse to co-operate with the Police investigation ?
    Am I innocent or guilty?

Am I innocent or guilty?

That's for the police and courts to decide when you are arrested and tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is it true that Hickey had two passports?

The media & political establishment need to butt out of this and let the Brazilian legal process run its course.

That's for the police and courts to decide when you are arrested.

I don't know how I'd react unless I know if I'm innocent or guilty. If I was guilty, the first thing I'd do would be to wipe all my devices while the cops are checking with the hotel to see if I have any other rooms booked.

But either way, I'd do what my lawyer told me.

Is it true that Hickey had two passports?

Yes , apparently not that uncommon .

I don't know how I'd react unless I know if I'm innocent or guilty. If I was guilty, the first thing I'd do would be to wipe all my devices while the cops are checking with the hotel to see if I have any other rooms booked.

But either way, I'd do what my lawyer told me.

Would that include you partner lying to the police, and hiding from them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes , apparently not that uncommon .

I didn't think it was legal to have two passports. I'll live and learn.

Would that include you partner lying to the police, and hiding from them ?
    Well I'd need her to buy me some time to wipe those devices. Sickness and health and all that malarkey...

Well I'd need her to buy me some time to wipe those devices. Sickness and health and all that malarkey...

So you would ?
    You think its funny that the President of our OCI behaves like that ?

Standard equipment for Hickey types.

So you would ?

Delaney is smarter than Hickey, look at how he deals with dissent in his role in the FAI - hires thugs to rough up supporters for carrying banners crirical of him - AGM full of privare security where no questions are allowed to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One for business and one for pleasure, supposedly, though in the life of the IOC high roller the two are almost indivisible.

So you would ?
    That's why I asked if I was innocent or guilty.

What she did was pointless and didn't change a thing. My point was that I would at least have used the time bought to cover my tracks if I was guilty.

The cops didn't think much of it either. She was free to leave Brazil and they didn't take her passport. In fact it was her that turned in Hickey's second passport.

If all she's guilty of is loyalty to her husband, well that's really not unuexpected is it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you travel a lot and need to send your passport off for visas it's standard to be allowed a 2nd passport. In addition there are some countries that do not appreciate seeing passports stamped in the likes of Israel, again meaning you can easily get a 2nd to allow you to present a "clean" one

Beasty wrote: »
    If you travel a lot and need to send your passport off for visas it's standard to be allowed a 2nd passport. In addition there are some countries that do not appreciate seeing passports stamped in the likes of Israel, again meaning you can easily get a 2nd to allow you to present a "clean" one
    The new credit card passport for use in the EU is great for that. Although not much use of you travel regularly outside the EU, for most people it deals with the problem of visa delays.

Very quick service too. Three to four days.

• Advertisement

That's why I asked if I was innocent or guilty.

As was explained to you the police and the courts will decide that when you are arrested and tried.
    What she did was pointless and didn't change a thing.

Only because the Police didn't believe her lies.
    My point was that I would at least have used the time bought to cover my tracks if I was guilty.

I wouldn't doubt it.

So tell us how would you do that if you only had time to hide naked under the bed of the room next door ?
    The cops didn't think much of it either. She was free to leave Brazil and they didn't take her passport. In fact it was her that turned in Hickey's second passport.

If all she's guilty of is loyalty to her husband, well that's really not unuexpected is it?

So you think it's ok to lie to the police and attempt to evade them ?

Advertisement