Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

There's a lot of complaints about the treatment of Pat Hickey and how his rights were infringed and all that .
    The point of the matter is that we are constantly trying to foist our "ideal" values and methods of justice on ciubtries that are autonomous relating to this
    If I was to stand in the middle of Lagos in Nigeria
    shouting to get rid of their present president why would I be surprised if I got the butt of a rifle into the face ?

Their laws their ways .Respect them . Simple

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Isn't one of the execs of The Communcations Clinic also a non exec on the board of RTE?

If so, then a conflict of interest asises with regard to their objectivity dealing with this story.

Would also explain the behaviour of the little gurrier from ballyer during the week.

Small world eh ?

Here's a few other cosy connections the PR employees would rather you didn't know . . .

Rehab Director/Consultant - Frank Flannery
    Olympics PR company -Frank Flannery's Insight PR

Rehab counsel - Siobhan Phelan
    Olympics counsel - Siophan Phelan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

There's a lot of complaints about the treatment of Pat Hickey and how his rights were infringed and all that .
    The point of the matter is that we are constantly trying to foist our "ideal" values and methods of justice on ciubtries that are autonomous relating to this
    If I was to stand in the middle of Lagos in Niferia shouting to get rid of their present president why would I be surprised if I got the butt of a fiddle into the face ?

Their laws their ways .Respect them . Simple

The media establishment have the same hypocritical viewpoint when mentioning Irish illegals and always describing them as 'undocumented'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

As was explained to you the police and the courts will decide that when you are arrested and tried.
    Do you think I need a court to tell me if I've something to hide? :D
    I wouldn't doubt it.

So tell us how would you do that if you only had time to hide naked under the bed of the room next door ?
    From what I understand, he had a bit more time than that. They decided to search the hotel and in the process asked if there were any other rooms booked under his name. That's what they said at the time.
    So you think it's ok to lie to the police and attempt to evade them ?
    No, lying is bad, you should go straight to hell. :D
    Did I say it was ok? No I think I said it was understandable and not unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

As was explained to you the police and the courts will decide that when you are arrested and tried.

Well, no. You may be innocent or guilty regardless of the court decision.
    Hickey likely knows whether he is guilty or not. The court decision will depend on the evidence they can muster, the case made by the prosecution, the skill of the defense, and what Hickey can get away with through denials, lies, etc that he might or might not choose to try to get away with if he thinks it will help him get off even if he is nonetheless guilty.

• Advertisement

Do you think I need a court to tell me if I've something to hide?

I'm pretty confident you wouldn't.
    No, lying is bad, you should go straight to hell. :D
    Did I say it was ok? No I think I said it was understandable and not unexpected.

You think it funny that the wife of the President of the OCI lies to police about his whereabouts as he tried to hide from them during the Olympics ?

Why would it be understanable and expected that during the Olympics the wife of the President of the OCI would lie to the Police about his whereabouts, and that he would attempt to run from the police ?

You think it funny that the wife of the President of the OCI lies to police about his whereabouts as he tried to hide from them during the Olympics ?

Why would it be understanable and expected that the wife of the President of the OCI would lie to the Police about his whereabouts, and that he would attempt to run from the police ?
    I said not unexpected. That actually is not the same as expected strangely enough.

But yeah, I think it's funny that you're getting so worked up about it.

I said not unexpected. That actually is not the same as expected strangely enough.

But yeah, I think it's funny that you're getting so worked up about it.

The only one worked up here is you.
    Why would it be understandable and not unexpected that the wife of the President of the OCI would lie to the police about his whereabouts and that he would hide from the police in another room in an attempt to evade them ?

I see Kevin Mallon is being let out on bail. Bit of a delay because apparently the prison service haven't paid their ankle tag supplier so they didn't have any for him. His lawyers were pushing for hiim to be released anyway and the judge has given the green light.

Curfew at 8pm, not to leave the area and all the usual restrictions.

The only one worked up here is you.
    Why would it be understandable and not unexpected that the wife of the President of the OCI would lie to the police about his whereabouts and that he would hide from the police in another room in an attempt to evade them ?
    Nope. You asked the question first. It's clearly eating at you. Actually I think you've asked the same question before on this thread and somebody asked if your missus had shopped you to the cops in the past.

Clearly carrying baggage there mate :D

Edit: Oh, and I see you've sneakily added a couple of extra bits to the question to imply I've somehow agreed with them too. Good luck with that :D

• Advertisement

Actually I think you've asked the same question before on this thread and somebody asked if your missus had shopped you to the cops in the past.

If that's true post where I was asked that.
    Clearly carrying baggage there mate :D

Nope, just enjoy watching you try to evade the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Small world eh ?

Here's a few other cosy connections the PR employees would rather you didn't know . . .

Rehab Director/Consultant - Frank Flannery
    Olympics PR company -Frank Flannery's Insight PR

Rehab counsel - Siobhan Phelan
    Olympics counsel - Siophan Phelan

You won't see anyone in shock.

Rte is painting the poor old man picture. His poor worried family.
    I say let Brazil give him the justice he'd never see over here. Perhaps he'll even run into the Shawshank sisters.

I think someone should tell Giacomo that Hickeys wife may have lied. He hasn't mentioned it yet...

You won't see anyone in shock.

Rte is painting the poor old man picture. His poor worried family.
    I say let Brazil give him the justice he'd never see over here. Perhaps he'll even run into the Shawshank sisters.

Funny how he wasn't too old sick and feeble to run the OCI and agree multi-million deals on their behalf, put a minister of the Irish government and elected public representative 'back in his box' for asking too many questions on behalf of the Irish public and head up a closed enquiry into his own ticket dealings.

I think someone should tell Giacomo that Hickeys wife may have lied. He hasn't mentioned it yet...

Would you prefer we forget he hid from the Police as well and tried to evade their questioning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Slithery ould bollix won't get away with that codology in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Brazilian press was reporting today (7h ago) that Mallon's freeing was delayed by a shortage of ankle monitors (afaik they were only adopted recently), and it's up to the judge to decide whether he can go anyway without the anklet. There's one very recent article that at first glance appears to say that he's been freed without it, but the wording is ambiguous and I think it's actually just Mallon's solicitor saying he should be freed anyway.

Ricardo Sidi says Mallon has rented an apartment in Brazil with the help of his solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Time now for the Irish press to act. There's no point of return here. He's bang to rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Haven't you noticed, prime example being the last election, yes they do think we're that stupid.

To be fair they are right, the majority of this country are ****ing eejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why are they making a sad attempt at little old man persecuted in the films.... He answered the door naked did he not. Where is his HR abuse ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The media establishment have the same hypocritical viewpoint when mentioning Irish illegals and always describing them as 'undocumented'.

British migrants or immigrants are referred to by the UK media as "ex pats". They also tend to gloss over their huge diaspora that was caused by harsh economic circumstances in working class Britian in the past.

Most countries have blind spots when referring to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Sunday times reports government put Hickey on rugby world cup bid board last month...now trying to get him off it...

http://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST/status/769653197388603392

Meanwhile in John delaney watch....

http://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST/status/769662825379880964

Will John go to Lansdowne on Wednesday???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Ah here.... Hickey solicitor in Dublin today :

She told RTÉ Radio 1’s Marian Finucane programme: “To be treated and humiliated in the fashion that he has been and then for the drip feed of information to come from the Brazilian police where they had the audacity to use Liveline to try and explain things - and yet he is gagged.

So the Rio policeman woke up the other morning and decided to ring Joe Duffy to get patronized by that arrogant oaf?

RTE really are pulling out all the stops for Pat

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pat-hickey-subjected-to-hatefest-due-to-rio-ticketing-claims-1.2770766

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ahlookit wrote: »

She told RTÉ Radio 1’s Marian Finucane programme: “To be treated and humiliated in the fashion that he has been and then for the drip feed of information to come from the Brazilian police where they had the audacity to use Liveline to try and explain things - and yet he is gagged.

So the Rio policeman woke up the other morning and decided to ring Joe Duffy to get patronized by that arrogant oaf?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pat-hickey-subjected-to-hatefest-due-to-rio-ticketing-claims-1.2770766

Has she tried telling pat to put the police back in their box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Why do they keep saying he is 'gagged'? There are plenty of people, family, employers, legal counsel who can speak/release a statement on his behalf.

His family seem to think the Irish media and government are part of Hickeys arsenal.
    It seems to be annoying them that the Brazilian police are letting us know they are not holding PH for ****s and giggles and that he actually has a case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

That tool Duffy has probably guaranteed Hickey a custodial sentence with his rant on lifeline. Did he honestly think that criticism of the Brazilian judiciary would help Hickey? They'll show no mercy to Hickey as a nice little **** you to Joe and Rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Some cheek of them demanding to meet a minister and ask the government to interfere with the Brazillian justice system.
    The IOC would ban any country where politicians negatively interfered with their affairs...but it is ok for politicians to interfere to try to get one of their own released from prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Discussing Hickey on Newstalk now, surprise of surprises! Fionnán Sheehan, Eamon Gilmore, Fiona O'loughlin (FF). Doing a job on Shane Ross!!

Didn't catch the name of the host this morning - but it is NOT Shane Coleman!!

Host is pretty good. :)

Edit: Eoin Ó Neachtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Winterlong wrote: »
    Some cheek of them demanding to meet a minister and ask the government to interfere with the Brazillian justice system.
    The IOC would ban any country where politicians negatively interfered with their affairs...but it is ok for politicians to interfere to try to get one of their own released from prison?

Honestly don't get what they think any Irish govt minister or officials can achieve anyway (not that they should) but if they did do they really think the Brazilians will do fcuk all they will more likely have this reaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Winterlong wrote: »

Very good point re politicians interfering. After all, didn't Hickey say that Ireland was not his constituency?

I could not get over the gall of that James woman, but I guess she was paid to come out trying to paint PH as someone akin to St. Francis of Assisi. She cannot understand the 'hatefest' for Hickey here in Ireland, especially as he is so 'highly regarded' abroad.

She was well able to spin, also. Made it sound that PH was more than willing to cooperate with Shane Ross when our Sports Minister went over to Rio to ask PH to put an independent person on the investigation team. According to her, PH went to his 'superior' to seek his approval for that. A very different version from Shane Ross's!!

Who can forget the Minister's frustration at PH's refusal to cooperate as Hickey sought to put Ross 'back in his box'?? Determined to seek a place for an independent person on the OCI investigation, Shane Ross sought a meeting with the head of the IOC, who could not understand Hickey's position. Hickey was put into a situation whereby he had to agree to having an independent person on the investigation team. He still was prevaricating, though, as he said he would need to contact the board of the OCI and would give a definite answer the following morning. And we all know what happened the following morning!!!!! Who could forget Shane Ross's tweet: 'Panic here In Rio'!!

I thought it was very remiss of Marian Finucane
    not to point out the true situation to Ms. James instead of allowing her to waffle on. It was really hard to listen to!! :(

Advertisement