Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Leg kicks only make sense against people who are heavy on their front leg, or if you're Edson Barboza* or RDA or Jose Aldo and you can actually get a TKO or completely different debilitate your opponent from them there's no point trying to make them a "thing". A handy tool in the right situation, but very few people are going to build their entire game plan around them.
    Edson Barboza is a freak though, nobody kicks legs like that fecker.

*Called him hector the first time before catching myself, and then realised he's Brazilian, not Spanish.
    Being tired is hard, yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    Leg kicks only make sense against people who are heavy on their front leg, or if you're Edison Barbosa or RDA or Jose Aldo and you can actually get a TKO or completely different debilitate your opponent from them there's no point trying to make them a "thing". A handy tool in the right situation, but very few people are going to build their entire game plan around them.

Edison Barbosa is a freak though, nobody kicks legs like that fecker.

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that he should use them again every opponent.

Just that they would be useful against a fair few opponents.

I'm pretty sure he was only kidding anyway.

Fair dues to two devoted warriors, that was a fight. Like possibly a lot of you, I thought Conor was all but gone at some point in the 3rd. The camera in his corner after that round didn't portray a promising picture, it seemed like even JK thought he was sending Conor out to be finished off early in the 4th.

He was gassed, then he wasn't, amazing. Yes, he was tired even when he got that second wind, but his movement was still quick when he needed it to be. Never mind his offence - Late on in the fight, Diaz was swinging some swift, powerful elbows and punches and Conor was still ducking and dodging like something out of The Matrix. His takedown defence was in all honesty, something I didn't think he had in him, not 15 minutes into a brutal fight with someone of the size and ability of Diaz.

Yep, I thought Conor was heading for the gallows as he stood up for the 4th round. 5 minutes later though when they both went out for the final round, I thought "Whatever happens now, these men are absolute champions."

Big respect to Diaz, the man can take an absolute hammering and all it seems to do is make him come at you stronger. He's gas too, even in defeat he's there flexing the arm :pac:

The 'friendship' between the two at the end was a nice touch, wherever Dana managed to download the cheat codes for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that he should use them again every opponent.

Just that they would be useful against a fair few opponents.

I'm pretty sure he was only kidding anyway.

Oh I know. Just highlighting that leg kicks, unless you're a freak like Barboza, should be kept for situations where they are most needed, such as when fighting someone who has a heavy lead leg.

The same tactic against someone like say Cowboy, with a light lead leg and who checks well, would be futile. Unless you're Edson Barboza...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Interesting stats.

More total strikes, more significant strikes, infinitely more octagon control.

God forbid you would have to give McGregor credit for anything.

Get over it. He won.

#rabbitpunchesdontcount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    I'd pay good money to see footage of Nick Diaz watching that fight.

McGregor via Submission
    The butthurt is insanely strong among the Mcgregor haters in this thread.

McGregor via Submission
    Worth noting that very few of the people who chose McG by decision in the poll are regular posters in the MMA forum. Just goes to show, what the fark do we know!!!??

:):) :0

• Registered Users Posts: 39,160 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    When Conor was running away in the fight I have to admit I felt really bad for him and found myself willing him to survive. I fully expect to regret that over the coming weeks.

It's contagious. Deep down you're team McGregor. You know it.
    Im aware. Which is why I'd give 1 and 4 to Conor, 3(which I'd call as 10-8) and 5 to Nate, and 2 as debatable, but I'd give to Nate because besides the knockdown Conor was on the back foot throughout.
    That's desparate stuff mate. Nate landed some good punches late in the 2nd but the the round was all Conor for 3 and a half minutes, with or without the knockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission

'I'm not trying to make excuses, but....'

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    adcakes, alanceltic, Alf Veedersane, ardinn, Braonain, burkey85, cournioni, DavidLyons_, Dermwex, djPSB, Dozyart, dubrov, J Mysterio, Jofspring, jousting with chairs, killwill, laugh, MarkY91, Mister Jingles, Papav3r, paulieeye, positivenote, prettyboy81, Royal Irish, RyanDrive, Seanachai, SuperSean11, Swashbuckler, The Prince of Cumberland, Tubbs4, Tyson Lannister, Useful.Idiot

Take a bow folks. You called it.

McGregor via Submission
    https://twitter.com/KarynBryant/status/767253450417541120

No breaks, just a sore shin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

John_D80 wrote: »
    The butthurt is insanely strong among the Mcgregor haters in this thread.

It's worse on Instagram mate. Diaz lovers claiming it's fixed and Diaz should've won. Dunno what fight they were watchin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    Subcomandate Marcos the hate runs deep in you.

Conor dropped Nate 3 times in that fight. 3 clean shots dropped him. He wasn't dropped himself at any stage.

In Round 3, McGregor landed some seriously clean counter shots, reversed a clinch, stuffed every takedown attempt.

In Round 2 he dropped Nate and was in complete control until the last bit of the round.

Round 1 was indisputable and if you're in this 10-8 business when it suits you then that was a 10-8 to Conor. He absolutely made a fool of Nate in Round 1, destroyed his legs, dropped him at will and was clinical.

The truth is every media outlet picked Nate pre-fight. Every media outlet scored the actual fight 3-2 to Conor.

The fighters who are on Twitter saying Nate won are the same ones who are pals with Nate.

As for Rogan - Conor wants nothing more to do with him. He made that clear at both the weigh in and post-fight. Rogan was completely unprofessional in that first fight, shrieking like a girl when his friend Nate won.

You can tell he wants nothing more to do with him. Grabbed the mic off him both times.

Anyway, all you haters and Diaz fans can cry all you want. The Media and Fight Metric and the knockdowns all show Conor won that fight.

And what's better - the judges said he won too.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    It's worse on Instagram mate. Diaz lovers claiming it's fixed and Diaz should've won. Dunno what fight they were watchin

have a flick through the AH thread if you want a good laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Diaz via Decision
    Worth noting that very few of the people who chose McG by decision in the poll are regular posters in the MMA forum. Just goes to show, what the fark do we know!!!??

Very true. And those posters who did call it correct were called out by a daily regular poster on here too.It just goes to show that MMA can be extraordinarily unpredictable and that posters who speak with authority and knowledge can get it wrong.

I got it very wrong myself by voting for a Diaz submission. For a bit in the 3rd that looked possible, McG looked goosed in his corner and even JKs language suggested he thought the game was up. I have still no idea how Conor came back from that, he put in a Herculean shift from there one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

wonderfullife spot on there (even if some journos had it a draw and one gave it to Diaz). Either way, it was an amazing fight. Conor needed the win more but either way, neither guy comes out of that looking anything less than a million bucks. Props to both guys, absolute warriors.

McGregor via Submission
    For anyone that missed the streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Diaz via Decision

Very true. And those posters who did call it correct were called out by a daily regular poster on here too.It just goes to show that MMA can be extraordinarily unpredictable and that posters who speak with authority and knowledge can get it wrong.

I got it very wrong myself by voting for a Diaz submission. For a bit in the 3rd that looked possible, McG looked goosed in his corner and even JKs language suggested he thought the game was up. But Conors takedown defence was unbelievable, Nate just couldnt get him down on the mat.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Subcomandate Marcos the hate runs deep in you.

Conor dropped Nate 3 times in that fight. 3 clean shots dropped him. He wasn't dropped himself at any stage.

In Round 3, McGregor landed some seriously clean counter shots, reversed a clinch, stuffed every takedown attempt.

In Round 2 he dropped Nate and was in complete control until the last bit of the round.

Round 1 was indisputable and if you're in this 10-8 business when it suits you then that was a 10-8 to Conor. He absolutely made a fool of Nate in Round 1, destroyed his legs, dropped him at will and was clinical.

The truth is every media outlet picked Nate pre-fight. Every media outlet scored the actual fight 3-2 to Conor.

The fighters who are on Twitter saying Nate won are the same ones who are pals with Nate.

As for Rogan - Conor wants nothing more to do with him. He made that clear at both the weigh in and post-fight. Rogan was completely unprofessional in that first fight, shrieking like a girl when his friend Nate won.

You can tell he wants nothing more to do with him. Grabbed the mic off him both times.

Anyway, all you haters and Diaz fans can cry all you want. The Media and Fight Metric and the knockdowns all show Conor won that fight.

And what's better - the judges said he won too.

End of.

What I found strange about Rogan is that he is usually an advocate of tapping -> No shame when you know you're caught. Obviously a RNC doesn't cause long term injury, but still.

In the promo cut, he was slating Conor and shaming him for tapping. It's weird. I feel like the UFC edited that promo with anticipation that Conor was going to lose and were trying to big up Nate.

Can't blame them, I thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I've lost so much respect for Aldo since he lost to McGregor. Such a poor loser and really puts a downer on one of the greatest title reigns in UFC history. Can't see anything other than McGregor knocking him out again if he goes back down. Aldo isn't improving whereas Conor is. Sure, he may have gassed at the end of round 2/all of round 3 but looked like a beast tonight. Hope he does go down and do Aldo again just to shut him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

McGregor via Submission
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I've lost so much respect for Aldo since he lost to McGregor. Such a poor loser and really puts a downer on one of the greatest title reigns in UFC history. Can't see anything other than McGregor knocking him out again if he goes back down. Aldo isn't improving whereas Conor is. Sure, he may have gassed at the end of round 2/all of round 3 but looked like a beast tonight. Hope he does go down and do Aldo again just to shut him up.

Agree. That dog fight tonight is going to do Conor the power of good heading into an Aldo fight. If it happens, that is. I hope it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Deadst4r wrote: »
    In the promo cut, he was slating Conor

I thought that was very strange, never seen Rogan doing that in other promos

He's spoken highly of Conor before, didnt know they had any beef

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

"sh1ts about to hit the fan" is something he's said in two of the post fight pressers he's done since the fight and also something along the lines of "maybe my next fight is not even in this sport". Mayweather tweeted "Lets get down to business" immediately after the fight. This could very well be the sh1t thats about to hit the fan.

McGregor via Submission
    I thought that was very strange, never seen Rogan doing that in other promos

He's spoken highly of Conor before, didnt know they had any beef

I like Rogan and for sure he has bigged up Conor a lot over the years but when he lost he just started to poke holes in his success, and not while playing the devil's advocate or anything, just straight up pops and during the whole 200 thing he kept saying that Conor was out of his league and lost a pissing contest. On another podcast he started joking about him being a prized leprechaun too. He was just joking from memory, and in and of it self it was nothing, but cap that off with his comments in Bad Blood / the recent promo and it might all have ruffled some feathers.

Nick Diaz hates Rogan so that's one thing that himself and Conor can agree on at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Diaz via Submission
    Amazing fight, can't believe it went five rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well we just saw why no 145er can live with Conor.
    I thought Mendes would be tough for him.
    Thought Aldo would beat him.
    When in fact They never stood a chance.

Thought Diaz would beat him again.
    I thought he was a goner coming out for round 3.

On the edge of my seat the whole time.
    Unbelievable fight.

I will never doubt that man again.

Advertisement