Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    The fact is that the UFC edited that Rogan hype video.

Therefore, they gave it the nod and probably guided what he should say.

I've a feeling tensions are still high, Conor didn't shake Danas hand yesterday either.

But none of that really matters when he turns up and delivers the goods. $$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Let's just read that again. Conor stepped up two weight classes and beat Nate Diaz. The impressiveness of that will only grow over time.

I imagine in about 30 years when they have all left the sport, the likes of Conor & Nate would happily share a pint together. There has to be respect there regardless of what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You know what I want at some stage. He can probably fit it in between him rematching Aldo and fighting Alvarez.
    Conor v Cowboy just so he can fold him in half. Cerrone loves talking **** about him but McGregor breaks him and stops it before the first round is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Does anybody remember what the betting odds were for a decision victory for McGregor? I'm delighted for McGregor but I feel sick that I changed my mind and went for a third round KO instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    Seanachai wrote: »
    Does anybody remember what the betting odds were for a decision victory for McGregor? I'm delighted for McGregor but I feel sick that I changed my mind and went for a third round KO instead.

Since after timing is allowed here, I'd be interested to know if anyone put any money down on McGregor for decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    I've a feeling tensions are still high, Conor didn't shake Danas hand yesterday either.

Yeah, for sure, and I thought Dana was out of order saying publicly that Conor needs to start respecting people's time at the presser. Just tell us he is late and deal with him in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

McGregor via Submission
    I don't think it's anywhere near Lawlor vs Condit or Wonderboy vs McDonald.

Ditto. Lawler Condit for me.

What a great fight last night though. Had McGregor 48-47 but would not have been surprised with it going the other way either. Conor can train all the rounds in the world; cycle for as long as he wants but that war has last night would have done far more for his conditioning imo. I think those criticising his Cardio are being harsh. It'll come on leaps and bounds from that experience last night. His performance in the 4th showed unreal heart as I thought it was slipping away from him.
    Personally want to see the Aldo rematch and Khabib to get his shot at 155. Interesting few weeks ahead to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Subcomandate Marcos the hate runs deep in you.

Conor dropped Nate 3 times in that fight. 3 clean shots dropped him. He wasn't dropped himself at any stage.

In Round 3, McGregor landed some seriously clean counter shots, reversed a clinch, stuffed every takedown attempt.

In Round 2 he dropped Nate and was in complete control until the last bit of the round.

Round 1 was indisputable and if you're in this 10-8 business when it suits you then that was a 10-8 to Conor. He absolutely made a fool of Nate in Round 1, destroyed his legs, dropped him at will and was clinical.

The truth is every media outlet picked Nate pre-fight. Every media outlet scored the actual fight 3-2 to Conor.

The fighters who are on Twitter saying Nate won are the same ones who are pals with Nate.

As for Rogan - Conor wants nothing more to do with him. He made that clear at both the weigh in and post-fight. Rogan was completely unprofessional in that first fight, shrieking like a girl when his friend Nate won.

You can tell he wants nothing more to do with him. Grabbed the mic off him both times.

Anyway, all you haters and Diaz fans can cry all you want. The Media and Fight Metric and the knockdowns all show Conor won that fight.

And what's better - the judges said he won too.

End of.

Is Diaz a bit of a freak the way he keeps coming back? Are others in that weight division a bit more like that?

Do people feel Conor would knock out most with punches he was getting in on Diaz?

I just couldn't believe the way Diaz kept coming back after some really, really clean connections from Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Having watched the whole thing just there, surely Diaz was the deserving winner? He seemed to have put up much more of a fight, whereas McGregor was on the defence majority of the time from what I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Delighted for Conor, was a fantastic fight.

I'm pretty disappointed in Diaz's attitude afterwards, "I'm not making excuses, but" and then a stream of excuses.
    This is probably the only time I can remember Conor actually praising his opponent after the fight and commenting on how good Diaz was.

Seems to me that Diaz has taken so many hits to the head he's turned into a bit of a Ralph Wiggum.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    Let's just read that again. Conor stepped up two weight classes and beat Nate Diaz. The impressiveness of that will only grow over time.

I imagine in about 30 years when they have all left the sport, the likes of Conor & Nate would happily share a pint together. There has to be respect there regardless of what went on.

Not to mention the fact that he's a freckled Irish red head fighting in mad fecking heat. 37 degrees it was in Vegas today at one point. We don't talk about that all that much as McGregor and Kavanagh don't, but it's defiantly a factor they have to contend with. I know they went out early specifically to acclimatize but that doesn't mean it's not an advantage for any opponent who doesn't need to acclimatize as it surely must.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not to mention the fact that he's a freckled Irish red head fighting in mad fecking heat. 37 degrees it was in Vegas today at one point. We don't talk about that all that much as McGregor and Kavanagh don't, but it's defiantly a factor they have to contend with. I know they went out early specifically to acclimatize but that doesn't mean it's not an advantage for any opponent who doesn't need to acclimatize as it surely must.

ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Having watched the whole thing just there, surely Diaz was the deserving winner? He seemed to have put up much more of a fight, whereas McGregor was on the defence majority of the time from what I saw

Never saw the fight yet
    But from a business point of view
    Which is what the ufc is
    It would be bad for business
    For fiaz to get ghe win.

I never saw the fight yet but
    Mcgregor said he would knock him out on 2
    Didnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Fairweather fan here - any place online to legally watch a recording of the fight?

Have been looking on youtube without success so far this morning. I did find one promising UFC 202 McGregor vs Diaz youtube video in HD..... but it was the first fight! Feel a bit silly after that. Anyways, is it possible to watch last night's fight this morning legally without paying?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Heat_Wave wrote: »

Score each round, McGregor clearly wins 1,2 and 4. Diaz wins 3 and 5, its not that hard. McGregor had Diaz Down three times and successfully defended Diaz everytime he tried to take him down bar in the last 15 seconds

Having just watched the fight what round do you think is controversial?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

section4 wrote: »
    Never saw the fight yet
    But from a business point of view
    Which is what the ufc is
    It would be bad for business
    For fiaz to get ghe win.

I never saw the fight yet but
    Mcgregor said he would knock him out on 2
    Didnt happen

I won't get at you for comments without watching but it doesn't matter if it would be bad for business because Diaz didn't win the fight on merit anyway. It was extremely close and I like Diaz but 2/3 Judges gave it to Conor and the 3rd said draw meanwhile around 95% of media outlets did the same as far as I can tell. Conor also knocked him down 3 times while Nate could only get him with one successful takedown.

Watch the fight it was a great bout.

McGregor via Submission
    ah here.

You can 'ah here' all you like :p

Seriously though, seen him at a Q&A just after the Mendes fight and he spoke a lot about how rough it was fighting in the heat and specifically how 'thick' the air was. Remember also him saying how he couldn' wait to get home as he was struggling to even train in it and that as soon as he stepped off the plane in Dublin he was delighted to be able to breath 'fresh air' again.

Has to be an advantage to any fighter that is used to those temps and grown up with them is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    **** what a fight.....my heart was racing from the off stomach in knots, thought McGregors early leg work set the tone for victory he butchered Diaz's leading leg and was more precise in his striking he followed the blueprint for beating Nate Diaz to a tee.....but he gassed again end of the 2nd, was pacing round the room expecting the same outcome (he can't fight at this weight again) ......luckily the early worked paid off and Diaz gassed also by the 3rd........pure heart kept them both standing for 5 rounds, hats off to both

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Not going to wade through the raft of posts on here, just to say two things

Fair play to Conor, hung on there for a long time, he has plenty of heart and two, he lost that fight.

Poor decision but not exactly a shocker ( I am not saying it was a screw job in any way, I can understand how the judges saw it the way they did I just saw it slightly different, I had it 3/2 to Diaz)

Great performance from both men.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What three rounds did you give to Diaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

adcakes, alanceltic, Alf Veedersane, ardinn, Braonain, burkey85, cournioni, DavidLyons_, Dermwex, djPSB, Dozyart, dubrov, J Mysterio, Jofspring, jousting with chairs, killwill, laugh, MarkY91, Mister Jingles, Papav3r, paulieeye, positivenote, prettyboy81, Royal Irish, RyanDrive, Seanachai, SuperSean11, Swashbuckler, The Prince of Cumberland, Tubbs4, Tyson Lannister, Useful.Idiot

Take a bow folks. You called it.

I'm new to watching MMA so my correct pick or opinion doesn't count but I'm pretty sure I'm not just a "mcgregor fan boy". He introduced me to the sport and I love watching it now.

End of the 3rd round I thought it was game over whether he was TKOd or made it to the 4th or not. I personally think a draw was the deserving result.

Diaz is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Not going to wade through the raft of posts on here, just to say two things

Fair play to Conor, hung on there for a long time, he has plenty of heart and two, he lost that fight.

Poor decision but not exactly a shocker ( I am not saying it was a screw job in any way, I can understand how the judges saw it the way they did I just saw it slightly different, I had it 3/2 to Diaz)

Great performance from both men.
    No, he didn't lose the fight. How many times do we have to say this? 1st and 4th rounds were clear wins for McGregor, 3rd was a clear win for Diaz. Round 2 was McGregor picking Diaz off for 3:30 then Diaz finishing strong. But McGregor knocked him down in that round, and that's a huge thing, so 2nd round McGregor. Round 5 was extremely close but Diaz being in control of the clinch and taking down McGregor gave him the 5th. So, McGregor won 48-47. Fair result, no poor decision at all. 95% of Journos agree (4 gave a draw while on one had Diaz winning).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,088 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I gave 1 and 4 to Conor and 2 and 3 to Nate. To be honest I thought he won the last too.I guess with the knockdowns you could give the first 10-8 to Conor. It was tight but I thought Diaz looked very close to finishing him throughout 2 and 3 and Conor never really looked like finishing him after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Those 2 second round knock downs. It certainly looked like Conor could have finished him if he wanted to.

McGregor via Submission
    That was a warriors battle.
    Collapsed into bed after it ended.
    McG was relentless.
    The leg kicks and 3 knock downs.
    I did think McG was gonna get choked out again, but he kept coming back.

Well deserved McG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I slept it out! :mad:

I've just watched it for the second time now. Smart performance and a good win.

He clearly took round 1 and 2 - Diaz left his flurry against the cage too late in the 2nd plus he missed 90% of what he threw (McG did duck out very nicely). I'm not overly convinced in all of those knockdowns, it nearly looked like the excuse Diaz wanted so he could take it to the ground. McG wisely did not RSVP the invitations.

3rd round was even up until the last 50 seconds (McG caught him with a couple of nice lefts in the middle of the round). Diaz could (and probably should) have ended it in that last minute. He landed more in these few flurries than in the previous round but McG did duck under a few of his biggest swings. In hindsight, Diaz needed to end it here. No way was it a 10-8 though.

I though Kavo was clever after the 3rd. He told McG that he'd lost 2 in a row now and maybe that helped inspire that 4th round. I don't know whether Diaz might have punched himself out a bit in the 4th but his punching appeared to become a lot slower. McG didn't need to defend many of his punches, he simply slipped his head to the side on multiple occasions and returned with landing shots. McG was never in danger and took the round.

5th was a bit weird. Nobody was in any real danger until the very end and that was too late. I had it as a Diaz round before the takedown so that was a bit meh. I had it as 48-47. . . .mrsTeal thinks I'm some kind of expert now because (2 of) the judges agreed with my wisdom - I didn't have the heart to tell her it was fairly obvious :D

Conor's cardio did not appear to be good (although he found something extra in the 4th). The only real danger he was in was due to fatigue. Is it all down to the added weight?

Anyway, quality night (morning for me :D) of fights. Respect to Rumble. Beautiful combo from Cowboy. The lad with the "gob's gift" (yup, it looks like a "b" not a "d") tattoo looks interesting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Thought Diaz won last 3 rounds myself, far tougher fighter, iunfortunately or fortunately he doesnt have the astute attacking skills Conor has, if he had Conor would be gone by the first roundAnyway, i guess fair play to Conor, up the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Thought Diaz won last 3 rounds myself, far tougher fighter, iunfortunately or fortunately he doesnt have the astute attacking skills Conor has, if he had Conor would be gone by the first roundAnyway, i guess fair play to Conor, up the Irish
    On what basis would you give the 4th round to Diaz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

A lot of people saying this and I can't get my head around it. The 4th round was a clear win to McGregor. Bossed Diaz in the exchanges, connected more and was way better at avoiding Diaz's punches. Clear McGregor round.

Advertisement