Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pocketrocket1

I don't even mind if they get the floors free, just tell us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

anna080 wrote: »
    Another thing seems to be, "anyone know where I can get nice flooring done cheap?" "Anyone know the best place to buy nice lamps".. Que a few days later said blogger giving us a tour around some random furniture shop showing us every nook and cranny of the store and every product in it. Totally transparent.

It's essentially begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Have just unfollowed one of my favourite bloggers as she is now a walking advertisement with affiliate links, expensive ones too!

Pity cos she was one of the normal ones

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

frogstar wrote: »
    Have just unfollowed one of my favourite bloggers as she is now a walking advertisement with affiliate links, expensive ones too!

Pity cos she was one of the normal ones

I'm guessing this is about me, and it is a pity that this is the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak) – although, if it isn't about me, I'm just totally self-obsessed...

TBH I find this slightly confusing – it's not as if I've cut down on the other content I was ever putting out. In fact, I'm now putting out more content than before, posting to my blog more regularly than in the last couple of months. Yes, I've also added in affiliate links – as a way to make a little extra cash, if people happen to click through them and buy from my recommendations. To me, affiliate links feel like one of the least offensive ways to make money, because they're so un-intrusive: you don't have to click on them!

And as for the expensive ones bit, I like expensive stuff – so sue me! I (personally) would rather spend €1,000 on a bag than on 100 cheap T-shirts, but that's a personal preference, and I do share a whole range of links and products.

I try so hard to stay on the right side of this. I always declare when something is sponsored, or paid for; I've turned down money from brands to post pictures of their products on my Instagram, in the style of "yum! I love this protein bar!" If I'm doing collaborations, I try to make them interesting, and find a way to combine an advertisement with a blog post, social media post or YouTube video that I would like to make anyway.

Yes, I now do affiliate links, but I don't think it means I've changed in any essential way, or that I'm "selling out"... It's just another way of adding to what (little) money there is in blogging, if you're not in the 100K followers league.

You just can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time, but I do think it's a bit unfair to be axed for affiliate links – which basically make zero difference to the people using them, but can help pay the bills of a person whose content you enjoy following! (That's a general "a person", not just me.)

Something I've noticed is that once someone starts using affiliate links there seems to be an awful lot more of outfit inspo type posts than previously. That kinda gives the impression that bloggers are just posting as many of these links as possible to cash in. It appears a lot more contrived. And posting very expensive items compounds that belief for me because most people either can't or don't want to spend €'000 on one item but the blogger posts it anyway because they'll get a reward (or payment, not sure of the correct term) for people just clicking on it, even if no one buys that particular item.

• Advertisement

Something I've noticed is that once someone starts using affiliate links there seems to be an awful lot more of outfit inspo type posts than previously. That kinda gives the impression that bloggers are just posting as many of these links as possible to cash in. It appears a lot more contrived. And posting very expensive items compounds that belief for me because most people either can't or don't want to spend €'000 on one item but the blogger posts it anyway because they'll get a reward (or payment, not sure of the correct term) for people just clicking on it, even if no one buys that particular item.

That's a misconception; affiliate links don't work in terms of clicks, you ONLY make money if someone buys something through following your link. So there's no advantage to doing it "for clicks", if you get me!

onthemitch wrote: »
    That's a misconception; affiliate links don't work in terms of clicks, you ONLY make money if someone buys something through following your link. So there's no advantage to doing it "for clicks", if you get me!

Really, that's interesting, I did think clicking through was enough. Also I had the impression that you didn't have to buy the item for there to be a reward. Even buying something else of the same site once you've clicked through or coming back a week later doesn't result in the blogger making money? Does it have to be that specific item?

Really, that's interesting, I did think clicking through was enough. Also I had the impression that you didn't have to buy the item for there to be a reward. Even buying something else of the same site once you've clicked through or coming back a week later doesn't result in the blogger making money? Does it have to be that specific item?

I'm actually not 100% sure about this one – I *think* the answer is yes, so if you buy something ELSE from that site within 30 days of clicking through my link (for example), I get a %... but I'm not sure it always works!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

For me, it's things like "liketoknowit" that gets my back up. If I am following you on a certain platform, I shouldn't have to/want to/ need to sign up to any other organisation in order to see where your bag/runners/jacket is from. People follow blogs/instagram to see outfit inspiration and see what they're fav bloggers are doing/wearing. I should not have to subscribe to another separate platform as well as this. Honestly I think liketoknowit is such a piece of bs marketing I absolutely hate it.

Hi R,

Yes you are correct it was you (and a few others too)

TBH, this is a complete cliche too but it's not you, it's me. I've noticed that I've been sucked into all these marketing ploys and have realised that I don't need these things (nor does my bank bank balance!)

Have been watching a few blogs recently on Consumerism and it really opened my mind

Though I do enjoy most of your other content , somethings I don't agree with but still enjoy so will still dip in and out of your site. Just not into the push selling as much as I find it hard to see the difference between genuine recommendations and affiliates/collaborations where I personally feel it's not so genuine

No, look, it totally makes sense – I guess I'm trying to find a balance too, torn between going "well THAT person is putting up 100 affiliate links a day so why can't I" and like, why am I encouraging people to buy all this stuff... when ultimately I think it would be better for the world if they didn't. (I mean, that's my internal debate around my own purchasing decisions too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

onthemitch wrote: »
    No, look, it totally makes sense – I guess I'm trying to find a balance too, torn between going "well THAT person is putting up 100 affiliate links a day so why can't I" and like, why am I encouraging people to buy all this stuff... when ultimately I think it would be better for the world if they didn't. (I mean, that's my internal debate around my own purchasing decisions too!)

And that's where you'll suck me right back in because you completely understand and dont B itch about feedback (but do on other things :) )

And that's where you'll suck me right back in because you completely understand and dont B itch about feedback (but do on other things :) )

Nah look, my initial reaction is to be like, ERMAHGERDICANDONOTHINGRIGHT – but I get how annoying these different things can be, because I may blog but I also read a tonne of blogs and follow a tonne of people on Instagram and I probably get annoyed by the very same things!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

A few of the Dublin bloggers received flowers maybe last week or week before all of the same florist. Maybe the cork ones saw and decided to do the same? None of them used #ad either. So maybe were just sent them! A surprise delivery of flowers might be all it takes to show them!? (Although if their addresses need to be got it's not much of a surprise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Something I've noticed is that once someone starts using affiliate links there seems to be an awful lot more of outfit inspo type posts than previously. That kinda gives the impression that bloggers are just posting as many of these links as possible to cash in. It appears a lot more contrived....
    I've just noticed the very same thing this morning. I use Bloglovin' and get an email each morning with blog posts I'm subscribed to. 2 bloggers both had blog posts up in relation Black Friday - one had notes about what stores were doing discounts and a few discount codes, she did have a few links to items she was liking. But the other blogger just had about 20 pics of outfits with links, no details as to retailers, % discounts on offer, nothing.
    Edit to add: both are full time bloggers btw

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts containing names deleted.
    I don't snip the name now, if you mention a blogger by name or initial I will just delete the entire post

I'm not sure how to make things clearer, is the title not enough?

biko wrote: »
    Posts containing names deleted.
    I don't snip the name now, if you mention a blogger by name or initial I will just delete the entire post

I'm not sure how to make things clearer, is the title not enough?

The blogger referred to herself by name, thus so did the subsequent posts. Nobody "named" her, she named herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I have removed her post too with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

(My deleted post; minus the offensive blogger name. I have addressed her as her boards.ie name now.)

Recently, I've noticed one blogger wearing Penneys items during very high-profile events/appearances. Items that hadn't made it in store yet and caused near-riots when they were released. Looking over her instagram, at no point does it say that this is an ad for Penneys. Clearly this lady is getting paid an amount to advertise on their behalf. I have NO ISSUE with her being paid; after all, she's shifting clothes for them as she's very popular, but TELL US. We're not idiots. It's insulting.

Another Cork blogger yesterday "randomly" got a delivery of flowers for her baby girl. She then plugged the florists. Again, no #ad. Obviously it's less clear there whether she was compensated or not but living in Cork, I've heard her pricelist for posts through a business who approached her, and I'd be surprised if she did it for free. I could just be too cynical though! Not sure why I should use a certain florist because they sent someone else free flowers, but that's beside the point!

Onthemitch, I enjoy your content a lot. I think the amount of affiliate links you post is small change when compared to a lot of bloggers. But that's never bothered me either. It's no skin off my nose if it makes them money. Though there are one or two that I would deliberately not click through on affiliate links for if I wanted to buy something!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

Ok I am sick of reading these type of posts repeatedly. I just want to point out that the people I am assuming you are referring to are not "Bloggers" they are social influencers so let’s not get the term mixed up!

Bloggers actually produce content whether it’s in the form of a blog/vlog and they produce it themselves. The minute they stop doing that (or in most cases, never actual create content to begin with) they are referred to as a social influencer.

Regardless of your feelings, people follow them, buy based on their recommendations and to put it simply if you are just going to come on here and moan about no #ad or the lack of transparency, yet not report it to the ASAI then I just dont understand. If you are not going to do something about what you perceive as deceptive beahviour then hit the unfollow button and go and search for actual bloggers who produce content, are transparent and that you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

evey3624 wrote: »

Regardless of your feelings, people follow them, buy based on their recommendations and to put it simply if you are just going to come on here and moan about no #ad or the lack of transparency, yet not report it to the ASAI then I just dont understand. If you are not going to do something about what you perceive as deceptive beahviour then report, hit the unfollow button and go and search for actual bloggers who produce content, are transparent and that you enjoy.

I've said this before. The ASAI are absolutely spineless when it comes to bloggers/social influencers. The only way to stop this behaviour is to not follow them.

• Advertisement

Ok I am sick of reading these type of posts repeatedly. I just want to point out that the people I am assuming you are referring to are not "Bloggers" they are social influencers so let’s not get the term mixed up!

Bloggers actually produce content whether it’s in the form of a blog/vlog and they produce it themselves. The minute they stop doing that (or in most cases, never actual create content to begin with) they are referred to as a social influencer.

Regardless of your feelings, people follow them, buy based on their recommendations and to put it simply if you are just going to come on here and moan about no #ad or the lack of transparency, yet not report it to the ASAI then I just dont understand. If you are not going to do something about what you perceive as deceptive beahviour then hit the unfollow button and go and search for actual bloggers who produce content, are transparent and that you enjoy.

Omg guys, unfollow and report!! Why didn't we think of this before!! (Rolls eyes) Thank you for coming along and pointing out the alarmingly obvious.
    If you've actually read this thread you'll find that most of us have unfollowed most of them and reported those that warrant reporting, unfortunatly reporting seems to be futile (especially when it's snapchat, as the posts are gone after 24hrs)
    Regardless of us following or not, these issues still exist and this is a discussion board to, you know, discuss the issue. Saying unfollow them is like saying if you don't want to hear about Syria then don't buy a newspaper (a gross exaggeration I'm aware) but the issue still exists, regardless of us following or not.
    If you don't like these repeated posts then why don't you just, you know, unfollow and report.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

anna080 wrote: »
    Omg guys, unfollow and report!! Why didn't we think of this before!! (Rolls eyes) Thank you for coming along and pointing out the alarmingly obvious.
    If you've actually read this thread you'll find that most of us have unfollowed most of them and reported those that warrant reporting, unfortunatly reporting seems to be futile (especially when it's snapchat, as the posts are gone after 24hrs)
    Regardless of us following or not, these issues still exist and this is a discussion board to, you know, discuss the issue. Saying unfollow them is like saying if you don't want to hear about Syria then don't buy a newspaper (a gross exaggeration I'm aware) but the issue still exists, regardless of us following or not.
    If you don't like these repeated posts then why don't you just, you know, unfollow and report.

Anna if you unfollowed how are you still so much in the know?? And how many times have you reported an issue or how do you actually know if anyone else has reported....you dont! And sorry with snapchat there are ways and means to record these snaps, so if you felt that strongly about something you would persist until something was done! Also how do you know that these people have not been approached…its not like they are going to come on and say I was reported, found out and fined?

Yes I have read the thread otherwise I wouldn’t comment. So if the thread was " lets unite and tackle the issue of social influencers not using #ad" then that’s a discussion. At the moment it is a lets moan about and point out what they have done today! Am I wrong?

Also to equate this "issue" with the like of Syria is beyond a gross exaggeration. Ultimately what is happening in Syria is completely out of your control, however, this one is not!

And yes I will unfollow the thread if it is just moaning about social influencers/bloggers and guess what...I will get over it and not think about it again as reporting will be futile as the thread is already monitored daily they are obviously ok with the content if names are not mentioned.
    See then its out of my control, there is no need for me to discuss it to death when there are actual more important things to worry about!

Anna if you unfollowed how are you still so much in the know?? And how many times have you reported an issue or how do you actually know if anyone else has reported....you dont! And sorry with snapchat there are ways and means to record these snaps, so if you felt that strongly about something you would persist until something was done! Also how do you know that these people have not been approached…its not like they are going to come on and say I was reported, found out and fined?

Yes I have read the thread otherwise I wouldn’t comment. So if the thread was " lets unite and tackle the issue of social influencers not using #ad" then that’s a discussion. At the moment it is a lets moan about and point out what they have done today! Am I wrong?

Also to equate this "issue" with the like of Syria is beyond a gross exaggeration. Ultimately what is happening in Syria is completely out of your control, however, this one is not!

And yes I will unfollow the thread if it is just moaning about social influencers/bloggers and guess what...I will get over it and not think about it again as reporting will be futile as the thread is already monitored daily they are obviously ok with the content if names are not mentioned.
    See then its out of my control, there is no need for me to discuss it to death when there are actual more important things to worry about!

The issues I've detailed are just general blogging issues, theyre not directed at anyone in particular. And it's clear that they have not been reported because apparently they still continue to do it. They're obviously not fussed. And it pretty much is out of our control when many people have complained and still nothing has been done.

Ok I am sick of reading these type of posts repeatedly. I just want to point out that the people I am assuming you are referring to are not "Bloggers" they are social influencers so let’s not get the term mixed up! .......

Maybe it's time to take your own advice and stop reading them.....

I could be wrong, but did a poster here not say they did complain to the group in charge of these laws and they didn't do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

idunno78 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but did a poster here not say they did complain to the group in charge of these laws and they didn't do anything?

There is not one case report (upheld/rejected) which documents an investigation by the ASAI into bloggers/social influencers. There are reports stemming from investigations into complaints re competitions/promotions etc on social media, but all the respondents are sizeable companies.

It seems like complaints made against bloggers/SMIs do not get investigated as the ASAI doesn't have regulations/guidelines in place to deal with social media based businesses. They can't issue sanctions if they don't issue clear guidelines in the first place. If a complaint was to be made about a blogger's company and the advertising of their make up/fashion product, then it would be investigated because they have clear guidelines regarding product promotion.

Interestingly enough, I saw that an unnamed company were trying to piggy back on the illness of a blogger today. I really like the honesty of said blogger, and fully believe that her sharing of personal details is done to help others rather than for self promotion/pity/attention etc. If blogger had obliged the PR company by promoting their product as a 'cure', 'aid' etc for the illness they (the product provider & PR company) would be looking for trouble with the ASAI for providing what is essentially unsubstantiated medical claims. Based on above comments re ASAI, the blogger would be grand! She could claim it magically makes you a happy, skinny bronzed goddess who will live forever but all consequences of ASAI sanctions would be the responsibility of the company/PR co.

On a separate note, I'm pretty familiar with gift tax rules/requirements to disclose gifts (material or cash) but something that struck me is that a lot of bloggers receive a lot of gifts/hotel stays and other benefits via specific PR companies. Does routing a gift/cash payment for promotion through a PR company offset the VAT liability for the donor? On the other side of it, if blogger A (BA) receives payments/gift via a PR company (PR1) from 10 different companies in a year totalling €5k, do they have to disclose it as a total gift of €5k or can they not acknowledge it because individually no gift exceeded the threshold for tax liability from one specific donor.

Sorry....that's a bit heavy! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pocketrocket1

So i have emailed the asai because this week the cork blogger ( delete if I am not allowed say this) has posted stuff on snapchat without #ad a number of times. this was done with jewellery, food, clothes, makeup!!! all in the one week! The same content was then posted on Facebook with a hashtag. She has also put up blog posts on her blog without disclosing that she was paid to promote the content on her blog even thought there is a # on the Facebook post.

Another blogger did the same with a fertility quiz with the vHI no # on snapchat and yet # on facebok. Lets see if the ASAI have teeth now when it is so brazen what is happening. Im sick of the whole thing. It's a pity because I like these girls and it not only makes them look like they would sell anything for a few bob but it just brings the tone of the whole thing down for other bloggers

So i have emailed the asai because this week the cork blogger ( delete if I am not allowed say this) has posted stuff on snapchat without #ad a number of times. this was done with jewellery, food, clothes, makeup!!! all in the one week! The same content was then posted on Facebook with a hashtag. She has also put up blog posts on her blog without disclosing that she was paid to promote the content on her blog even thought there is a # on the Facebook post.

Another blogger did the same with a fertility quiz with the vHI no # on snapchat and yet # on facebok. Lets see if the ASAI have teeth now when it is so brazen what is happening. Im sick of the whole thing. It's a pity because I like these girls and it not only makes them look like they would sell anything for a few bob but it just brings the tone of the whole thing down for other bloggers

Fair play to you! Keep us updated? Would like to know how this goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I think maybe in above cases #ad is just being used incorrectly/without necessity on facebook. If clothes/make up products are given to the blogger it's unlikely they are also receiving a cash payment.

• Advertisement

Pocket rocket I've actually just now noticed the above. A blogger posted a Facebook post about the blog post they have done showing there favourite products and how there gonna do an unboxing on snapchat later. Out of curiosity I clicked on blogpost and at bottom it has that it sponsored! Is this against regulations and could the ASAI be mailed about it? I did actually write on FB post asking so will see what happens there first!!

1 hour later and post is still the same. Also snaps are gone up two with #ad and rest without. So I've emailed ASAI asking them is this ok - to have some posts with and some without. I don't usually do things like that but kinda have to agree with a poster above! Maybe if we emailed them then eventually something would be done and rules followed! Maybe!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement