Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    I looked back over her snaps and didn't see any narkyness.
    She said lots of people were asking about the storage unit. Then she was flicking through her book. Did she delete a snap somewhere?

Yes it does appear she has deleted that particular snap oddly. I didn't think it sounded catty, I thought she was joking but I guess there must be a reason she deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    I looked back over her snaps and didn't see any narkyness.
    She said lots of people were asking about the storage unit. Then she was flicking through her book. Did she delete a snap somewhere?

Yes she has since deleted it. I thought she sounded a bit passive aggressive myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I also went back to have a look and I couldn't figure out where she was being catty but it's obvious now that she had deleted it! Either she read this post or someone told her she sounded a bit bitchy and to delete it!

I think it definitely looks bad that this time last year she was splashed everywhere promoting a different vitamin brand and this year jumping on to another brand. That definitely doesn't give me confidence in the products she is promoting.

scarbouro wrote: »
    I also went back to have a look and I couldn't figure out where she was being catty but it's obvious now that she had deleted it! Either she read this post or someone told her she sounded a bit bitchy and to delete it!

I think it definitely looks bad that this time last year she was splashed everywhere promoting a different vitamin brand and this year jumping on to another brand. That definitely doesn't give me confidence in the products she is promoting.

Maybe catty was the wrong word for me to use. She wasn't being narky or anything and she has smiley face emojis on the screen as she was saying it, but there was definetly something off about the way she said it. Maybe it's because she's usually so laid back and would have never said anything like that before. I believe her exact sentence was, "lots of you asking about the toy storage but if you'd have bought my book then you'd know I did a whole section on toy storage". She then deleted that and instead flicked through the book with the storage pages.

It just grinds my gears when bloggers do things like that. Not every follower is obligated to, can afford to, or even wants to buy your book just because they happen to follow you on snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

scarbouro wrote: »

Would it give you confidence otherwise? What exactly does qualify her as authority on vitamins?

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Would it give you confidence otherwise? What exactly does qualify her as authority on vitamins?

It shows her as being inconsistent and is clearly just promoting what ever she is being paid to advertise. I'd more than likely think, "sure this time last year she was promoting different vitamins, next year it'll be something else". If she had managed to stick with something for a consistent amount of time and was loyal to the product, I'd have more confidence that she actually uses and likes the product, and isn't just peddling any old mush for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

While the blogger in question above is one of my favourites, it really is worth bearing in mind that she earned her living before blogging as a model. She still does some modelling and promotional work so it should hardly be surprising or offending that we see her promoting products - only difference now is that she has a blog and social media.
    I've seen other bloggers mention that brand of vitamins in the past week so there was obviously a press drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wouldn't be buying vitamins just on recommendation of a blogger. It doesn't matter if she is recommending one or ten brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    While the blogger in question above is one of my favourites, it really is worth bearing in mind that she earned her living before blogging as a model. She still does some modelling and promotional work so it should hardly be surprising or offending that we see her promoting products - only difference now is that she has a blog and social media.
    I've seen other bloggers mention that brand of vitamins in the past week so there was obviously a press drop.

She wasn't just putting her face to it. She was saying last year how she was taking the alive ones and giving them to Ollie her son too and how amazing they are. And how she gives the men's one to Brian. Clearly she wasn't.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I wouldn't be buying vitamins just on recommendation of a blogger. It doesn't matter if she is recommending one or ten brands.

Good for you. But if she brought out a line of toilet roll some of her followers would jump to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

onthemitch wrote: »
    There's no onus on bloggers to disclose if something is given as a gift; it's when payment is given that the guidelines require the inclusion of a hashtag. Some bloggers let people know if an item is free, others don't, but it's not mandatory.

On the question above re tax and VAT, freelance payments – as in, payments for snaps, Instagram posts etc – are freelance payments. It's all income, and all subject to tax. Most bloggers I know have accountants who do their taxes for them.

And when it comes to bloggers "taking a few seconds to put up a snap", that's not what brands are paying for. They're paying for the time, effort and skill – whether or not you agree with the use of that word – that it takes to build up a following. If they were just after the few seconds of their time, sure why wouldn't they ask their neighbour to post about it? You're paying for all the work someone has put in to get to that point.

It would be like comparing your wedding band with the Rolling Stones. It takes the same amount of time and effort for each one to perform, but they're not going to be charging the same amount now are they?

It's certainly commendable that you're being open, honest and willing to address things here but I'm sorry, the idea of getting payment from telling people to donate is just something that doesn't sit right with me.

No one is denying that it takes time and effort, etc, to build up a following. I understand that bills have to be paid but if you're The Rolling Stones of the blogging world (to use your own comparison), surely other sponsored/ ad opportunities will come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I just find lately that most bloggers and celebs (I follow charlotte and holly from Geordie shore don't judge!) have their snaps like an infomercial now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

anna080 wrote: »
    Good for you. But if she brought out a line of toilet roll some of her followers would jump to buy it.

Exactly this. Some of the fan-girling that goes on over this particular blogger (and others) creeps me out. It makes me feel so uncomfortable about the whole blogger/"influencer" culture

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

loulou87 wrote: »
    She wasn't just putting her face to it. She was saying last year how she was taking the alive ones and giving them to Ollie her son too and how amazing they are. And how she gives the men's one to Brian. Clearly she wasn't.

I don't usually get involved in these blogger threads although always read with interest. To be clear I've no loyalty to any blogger nor have I bought anything on the recommendation of any blogger.
    That said, just because a person is using one product now doesn't mean that they didn't use a different product in the past. Surely we've all done that - I know this time last year I was wearing and raving about one mascara and this year I'm wearing and raving about a different one entirely.

forumuser wrote: »
    I don't usually get involved in these blogger threads although always read with interest. To be clear I've no loyalty to any blogger nor have I bought anything on the recommendation of any blogger.
    That said, just because a person is using one product now doesn't mean that they didn't use a different product in the past. Surely we've all done that - I know this time last year I was wearing and raving about one mascara and this year I'm wearing and raving about a different one entirely.

Grand. But where there's a vested interest in a product there is also a great responsibility given the power of your influence. Nobody cares if I am using a different mascara today than I was this time last year. "Influencers" have power, and they have a responsibility to respectfully manage that power to a certain extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

That may be so, however she is definitely being paid to promote the Sona range. It's something people/followers should be made aware of and then they can choose to disregard that information if they so wish. I have seen her #ad one snap when promoting the brand but others where she has not added the #. Maybe she genuinely really does think they're great and would use them anyway or maybe she wouldn't. Either way, when she's plugging them on her social media she should be making it clear it's a business arrangement and allow followers to decide how that information impacts on them. To many it won't matter, they trust her and will take her recommendation on board regardless. Others may question her motives but either way they should have the full picture.

You can't compare yourself and a top blogger as being the same! These people are paid to promote and be the face of a company. Tbh we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't something that she had already put her face to a year ago! She is obviously going to work with many different brands along the way but to deliver a speech about how good x vitamins are last year and how her whole family are benefiting from taking them, to saying the same speech this year about another vitamin company...

Anyone else hear the blonde blogger with the one child admit to slagging off someone who she accuses of criticising her career and is now imitating it? She didn't name any names but she said "if you're gonna try and do it then at least do it better".. Thought her gloating and relishing was bit tacky to be honest. Have no clue who she was on about either but she admitted to being in a group chat with others having a right laugh about the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anna, that's off-topic and pure gossip.
    Please leave that at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I've come to fashion and beauty blogging via snapchat, so you'll have to indulge me but what gives with people describing themselves as 'fashion blogger' when all they have is a facebook page and a disclaimer that they're 'available for events'?
    Twice in recent days, a Munster-based blogger's page has popped up on my Facebook feed as somebody I should check out. But the link to her blog leads to a holding page, and her Facebook page seems to consist of photos of herself and the odd competition.
    Is that all you need to be a blogger these days?
    Just a smart phone and enough of a brass neck to hit up retailers for competition prizes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

Haha and yet they are the ones that seem to have the biggest followers. Sure why wouldnt they when they spend no time writing or reviewing anything they use etc.

I blog and this is the only thing that really irritates me, you are not a blogger if you do not blog...simple as. However, this is what obviously interests people as they continue to grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I guess this comes under ad?

Is there a difference do ye think in a blogger getting something as a PR sample to do with what they want (giveaway, reviews, nothing). Or being giving something (that's not normally something that would be reviewed) to give a positive review on ie a hotel stay or similar. Like should they have to say 'i was givin this to review/promote' .

Hopefully I've got my question out proper finding it hard to explain what I mean!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Technically they only have to declare if they were paid.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Technically they only have to declare if they were paid.

Yea I know that but like if there specifically asked for a good review I think that should also come into it. Even not as ad but disclaimed some other way! Some bloggers do but majority don't! PR samples I don't think would be under that! Didn't think this until yday when saw something a blogger had up! It should all just be regulated more!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

idunno78 wrote: »
    I guess this comes under ad?

Is there a difference do ye think in a blogger getting something as a PR sample to do with what they want (giveaway, reviews, nothing). Or being giving something (that's not normally something that would be reviewed) to give a positive review on ie a hotel stay or similar. Like should they have to say 'i was givin this to review/promote' .

Hopefully I've got my question out proper finding it hard to explain what I mean!!

Yeah they only need to say AD if money exchanges hands apparently.
    Things have become very transparent recently though in my opinion. Easy to spot these fake reviews.
    If I booked a hotel in Cork i'm pretty sure I wouldn't get personalized christmas stockings in my hotel suite and gifts under the tree.... :P too funny

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Yeah they only need to say AD if money exchanges hands apparently.
    Things have become very transparent recently though in my opinion. Easy to spot these fake reviews.
    If I booked a hotel in Cork i'm pretty sure I wouldn't get personalized christmas stockings in my hotel suite and gifts under the tree.... :P too funny

You prob guessed but that what sparked this I. My head! It just gives a false sence to people! No way would any other person that booked that hotel last minute get all those things, such a nice room or even a Xmas tree in it! I'm sure there are people that will book it because of that and be so disappointed that they get none of those things! i just think something like that should be made more obvious what it is! Fair enough if it was booked last minute but with all them personalised things I don't think so!

Might not be #ad but maybe it should be #giftedreview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I was thinking the same. Last minute decision to go away, yeah right!

So last minute there was time for personalised robes, stockings, jewellery to be delivered. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Now fair play to her for getting the room (free i presume) but as you say if I or anyone else went to book, there is no way those perks would be thrown in.

I've also noticed other influencers talk about cafes/restaurants that are quite obviously ads as well

Not to mention the latest jeans reviews by snapchatters who are friends with the owner. Like OmG they are the best jeans ever...

I believe nothing is genuine anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

While I know it's not #ad, but I'm getting a little fed up of bloggers who only blog about things they have been sent (all above board declaring press samples featured) but don't appear to put their own hand in their pocket and buy a product/service which they later blog about. One blogger I recently unfollowed only seems to blog about products she was sent or hotels/ spas/ beauty places she was a guest of, I don't recall at any stage this year her doing a blog post of something she has actually paid for herself. I guess a lot more products are sent out to bloggers to review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I get the point that they are the new form of advertising etc. And the rules for #ad, but sometimes I feel like even though they are being truthful, would they have the same opinion if they had to pay for it. I know my standards for something free would not be near as high if I had to pay for it.

• Advertisement

That snapchat story of the blogger in the hotel yesterday was beyond ridiculous. Last minute my eye! I think it makes the hotel look completely stupid, falling over these people like they're God's! As mentioned, no other guest would be given all of that free stuff for booking the room so why is this blogger giving a room tour and showing all these expensive gifts dotted around the suite that the hotel has laid on. It gives a very false impression of the type of stay you're going to get if you choose this hotel. It must be lovely to have all these free stays/products ect. but I don't believe a word of what comes out of their mouths when they never actually shell out a penny for a single thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement