Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

anna080 wrote: »
    How have they earned it? By telling me to part with mine?

I amended my previous post. They are doing it because it's part of the service they offer - advertising. Spot the difference.

And I am sure you would if... But you didn't. You just told others what to do. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's the story with tax and vat on all these payments to be made on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

meeeeh wrote: »
    I amended my previous post. They are doing it because it's part of the service they offer - advertising. Spot the difference.

I have no issue with them being advertisers or "influencers" or whatever the hell they refer to themselves as. It's the hypocrisy I don't like. It's akin to me giving a speech on the effects of global warming and then flying home on my fuel guzzling private jet. It's asking and expecting something of the general public that you're not willing to participate in yourself.
    Now, I'm not saying that these bloggers didn't privately donate €4, maybe they did. Who knows. I just find it tacky that they accepted payment for a quick mention on snapchat.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So who here donated to the Childline? And no I didn't (I don't want to create an impression I did).

Yes, on Sunday. I donate regularly to children and animal charities.
    https://s18.postimg.org/438r6kojt/image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Not one blogger/snapchatter (that I follow) had AD on their snaps about this. I've been following a good lot since the snapchat craze started, and i'm sure there were some who took the money. It just annoys me, some went into such great details and spoke about the charity openly and you could see it wasn't just a quick paycheque (unless they are amazing at faking it :P ) . Others just posted a picture of their personalised box.

I don't know. I love snapchat/bloggers, but this whole thing just "disappointed" me. In my own personal opinion it was wrong. I usually take it all with a pinch of salt, but felt it needed to be addressed.

Also I was the original poster about it, was not looking for a fight/rant etc. Just sharing my disappointment.

Also this new thing about 99.99% of snapchatters not saying where their item of clothing is from. Literally everybody now says... "go to my insta or facebook for the link". Must not be making much money anymore if they need the money from the affiliated links. There were one or two who always did it, but now it seems to be everywhere. Even one business owner blogger did it the other day. Kinda cringey. Again, in my opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Also this new thing about 99.99% of snapchatters not saying where their item of clothing is from. Literally everybody now says... "go to my insta or facebook for the link". Must not be making much money anymore if they need the money from the affiliated links. There were one or two who always did it, but now it seems to be everywhere. Even one business owner blogger did it the other day. Kinda cringey. Again, in my opinion :)
    This has been the situation for a while. They started off trying to be super friendly and helpful: "I've made things so much easier for you with links xoxo!"
    But other bloggers have copped on that one or two of the more high profile bloggers must be raking it in, at least one has been sent on a get together abroad because of it. So they are all linking now.

I don't actually mind affiliate links. If someone shows a top, and I really like it and would like to buy it, I don't see the problem if they get a small commission as I would not have seen and bought the top had they not shown it on their social media. What is bugging me is that many bloggers will only show brand/products that they can get affiliate links for. How many of them are showing clothes from Dunnes, Penneys, small boutiques?
    In fairness some of the people I follow on snapchat, in particular local ones to my area will do a few snaps like "I was in Oasis on my lunch break [from my real job] and they have these lovely things in store at the min". I actually bought a lovely Savida top from Dunnes because a local blogger showed it on her snapchat. Likewise with some of my Penneys purchases, I've seen them on others snapchats.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I don't really get what the issue here is re the child line piece. It is how this charity operates and has operate for years. I would find it odd to take payment for a brief mention but this is actually the business element and not charity per se.

Do people also believe that the annual children gig is attended by bands for free too? Or recently I watched on Ireland am a number of well known faces discuss, be sure they were paid.

If they didn't advertise there wouldnt be as many donations. It obviously works .

I think the issue is disclosing but it is a grey area. People disclose and are then lambasted as being greedy. Don't disclose and you are dishonest. Advise that you turned down payment and you are a saint or a sinner that you have outed everyone who took payment. Can't win

Charities have to spend to make money. I'm sure there are plenty of charities out there that make no money due to the fact they dont spend money. It really is and should be run like a business at the end of the day

frogstar wrote: »
    I don't really get what the issue here is re the child line piece. It is how this charity operates and has operate for years. I would find it odd to take payment for a brief mention but this is actually the business element and not charity per se.

Do people also believe that the annual children gig is attended by bands for free too? Or recently I watched on Ireland am a number of well known faces discuss, be sure they were paid.

If they didn't advertise there wouldnt be as many donations. It obviously works .

I think the issue is disclosing but it is a grey area. People disclose and are then lambasted as being greedy. Don't disclose and you are dishonest. Advise that you turned down payment and you are a saint or a sinner that you have outed everyone who took payment. Can't win

Charities have to spend to make money. I'm sure there are plenty of charities out there that make no money due to the fact they dont spend money. It really is and should be run like a business at the end of the day

Im not sure you're right about bands always accepting payment for the concerts. I remember Westlife used to donate their fees for every gig. And you're comparison is futile. How can you compare a successful band, taking time out of their busy schedule to perform some songs to an ordinary joe soap (because that's what bloggers are) taking payment for a ten second snapchat about a struggling charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I've really gone off the Snapchat thing lately and unfollowed quite a few. It seems none of them can pay for anything these days out of their own pocket and if it's not sent to them they'll just come out and ask for it on Snapchat. One I unfollowed when she snapped her new IPhone she got from Vodafone. I've no huge issue with them getting beauty products etc for free to review but surely she could just go and buy a phone like the rest of us. Then recently another blogger, who I would have generally liked, broke her phone and asked on Snapchat if anyone from The Carphone Warehouse was watching could they send her a phone. Seriously, stop sounding so cheap and buy your own phone. Then there was the one who was going on a free holiday and her snaps became an endless series of showing off all the stuff that got sent to her for her holiday. After what seemed like endless snaps of stuff sent by Mothercare for her little boy for the holiday I unfollowed her too. There is a local blogger in the Mid-West I follow but she is starting to get annoying now too, her snaps are becoming full of her plugging businesses that give her freebies without her ever disclosing that they are in fact freebies. From make up and hair to hotel rooms and eyelash extensions.

It's become no different to sitting infront of the tv and watching endless ads. The whole influencer thing is likely to become a victim of it's own success and just implode when people get sick of it and the content no longer resembles what it was back when you first started to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I think if an influencer isn't being honest I just unfollow them. I am tired of seeing some declaring sponsored content and others not bothering to do so - the Cheerios/Childline example is only the most recent and very obvious example of this. Fair play to those who stated that they waived or donated their fee. The ones who made no reference to sponsorship may have also waived/donated their fee - however I just assumed they didn't as nothing was said.
    The ASAI will no doubt see more complaints about this sort of practice. The advertisers/brands will ultimately be damaged by association with this type of practice. The only way it will change is if adverisers/brands insist on the declaration of sponsored content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The ASAI are absolutely useless and I believe this is the reason why we don't see #ad when we should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

While personally I wouldn't take the payment, it's up to the individual what they decide to do. Out of the 6/7 posts I saw on the childline snaps only 1 had #ad so would love to know what the other people did!? At least she was honest.

I've really gone off the Snapchat thing lately and unfollowed quite a few. It seems none of them can pay for anything these days out of their own pocket and if it's not sent to them they'll just come out and ask for it on Snapchat. One I unfollowed when she snapped her new IPhone she got from Vodafone. I've no huge issue with them getting beauty products etc for free to review but surely she could just go and buy a phone like the rest of us. Then recently another blogger, who I would have generally liked, broke her phone and asked on Snapchat if anyone from The Carphone Warehouse was watching could they send her a phone. Seriously, stop sounding so cheap and buy your own phone. Then there was the one who was going on a free holiday and her snaps became an endless series of showing off all the stuff that got sent to her for her holiday. After what seemed like endless snaps of stuff sent by Mothercare for her little boy for the holiday I unfollowed her too. There is a local blogger in the Mid-West I follow but she is starting to get annoying now too, her snaps are becoming full of her plugging businesses that give her freebies without her ever disclosing that they are in fact freebies. From make up and hair to hotel rooms and eyelash extensions.

It's become no different to sitting infront of the tv and watching endless ads. The whole influencer thing is likely to become a victim of it's own success and just implode when people get sick of it and the content no longer resembles what it was back when you first started to follow them.
    I agree, I've unfollowed quite a few for this type of thing. Some have changed their content significantly - and not for the better. If a TV or radio presenter was to behave in this way on their show there would be complaints made and upheld against the advertiser. As I see it bloggers/influencers are currently regulating themselves which is unacceptable IMO.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    The ASAI are absolutely useless and I believe this is the reason why we don't see #ad when we should be.
    Completely agree. They just don't seem to be giving social media/blog sponsorship the attention it deserves.

The ASAI website states that they "acknowledge all complaints in writing"

Be interesting to see what the reply is to a complaint in relation to the bloggers / influencers.

I'd say its a nightmare and almost impossible to investigate as snaps disappear after 24 hours. It is just a clever and sly way really.

Be interesting to see what the reply is to a complaint in relation to the bloggers / influencers.

I'd say its a nightmare and almost impossible to investigate as snaps disappear after 24 hours. It is just a clever and sly way really.

I've complained twice. Once about a blogger who was obviously being paid by a tea brand and I was told that because I'm a blogger myself (I've about 10 posts!) that I had a vested interest in it and they wouldn't be able to withhold my identity.

Which is ironic that they did a background check on me but didn't bother to look at the blogger I was complaining about.

Very true. A likely situation will be providing recordings/screenshots to support a complaint - I'm guessing that some advertisers are hoping this is too much trouble for someone to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I've complained twice. Once about a blogger who was obviously being paid by a tea brand and I was told that because I'm a blogger myself (I've about 10 posts!) that I had a vested interest in it and they wouldn't be able to withhold my identity.

Which is ironic that they did a background check on me but didn't bother to look at the blogger I was complaining about.

So nothing happened? That's crazy! good on you for trying tho!

idunno78 wrote: »
    So nothing happened? That's crazy! good on you for trying tho!

Nope nothing at all. I'm only a tiny blogger but I was afraid of the blogger in question going on a rant on snapchat and naming me and ruining my blog for me.

That's awful, fair play to you for complaining though. I think the ASAI have a very black and white approach to this and while they have made amendments to the guidelines for sponsored posts they don't seem to be as clued in as they could be.

• Advertisement

Bloggers are funny like that, they make a big song and dance about how they can say what they like on their own platform but when you get your own platform and disagree with them or call them out for something they are happy enough peddling while they remained unchallenged, they get very defensive and accuse you of XYZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

One blogger seemed to have been gifted a new hoover today......no # on multiple snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

One blogger seemed to have been gifted a new hoover today......no # on multiple snaps

There's no onus on bloggers to disclose if something is given as a gift; it's when payment is given that the guidelines require the inclusion of a hashtag. Some bloggers let people know if an item is free, others don't, but it's not mandatory.

On the question above re tax and VAT, freelance payments – as in, payments for snaps, Instagram posts etc – are freelance payments. It's all income, and all subject to tax. Most bloggers I know have accountants who do their taxes for them.

And when it comes to bloggers "taking a few seconds to put up a snap", that's not what brands are paying for. They're paying for the time, effort and skill – whether or not you agree with the use of that word – that it takes to build up a following. If they were just after the few seconds of their time, sure why wouldn't they ask their neighbour to post about it? You're paying for all the work someone has put in to get to that point.

It would be like comparing your wedding band with the Rolling Stones. It takes the same amount of time and effort for each one to perform, but they're not going to be charging the same amount now are they?

onthemitch wrote: »
    There's no onus on bloggers to disclose if something is given as a gift; it's when payment is given that the guidelines require the inclusion of a hashtag. Some bloggers let people know if an item is free, others don't, but it's not mandatory.

On the question above re tax and VAT, freelance payments – as in, payments for snaps, Instagram posts etc – are freelance payments. It's all income, and all subject to tax. Most bloggers I know have accountants who do their taxes for them.

And when it comes to bloggers "taking a few seconds to put up a snap", that's not what brands are paying for. They're paying for the time, effort and skill – whether or not you agree with the use of that word – that it takes to build up a following. If they were just after the few seconds of their time, sure why wouldn't they ask their neighbour to post about it? You're paying for all the work someone has put in to get to that point.

It would be like comparing your wedding band with the Rolling Stones. It takes the same amount of time and effort for each one to perform, but they're not going to be charging the same amount now are they?

So should people have used the #AD for the childline Ads??? I didn't see any #? As you said it was an AD and they are being paid for all the work they put into their snaps. We all agree it was an Ad for the charity which some were paid for, so they would need to declare that to the tax man yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

So should people have used the #AD for the childline Ads??? I didn't see any #? As you said it was an AD and they are being paid for all the work they put into their snaps. We all agree it was an Ad for the charity which some were paid for, so they would need to declare that to the tax man yes?

I was referring to your example about someone getting a new hoover. Generally speaking, if there is no #ad, it means that no money has changed hands – sometimes one person is paid to talk about something while another person is not (it happens all the time with fashion, beauty, events etc; one person might have a commercial agreement while another person is just talking about it because they like it). So for my part, I'd assume that any snaps that don't contain #ad don't involve payment.

As for the tax man, it's the same as any sole trader. If you get paid, you add it to your income and it's taxable – but like I said, if there's no #ad, no money changed hands, ergo, no taxable income...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

Just saw on FB that <snip> is touting sona vitamins now when she was promoting another brand alive multivitamins just last year. Pics and all, though her fee must have been less last year cause she didn't do as much promo on the alive vitamins (the company must be raging!) for
    Absolutely gas.
    I looked at her snapchat and there she is yesterday showing what's in her make up bag.. her make up along with some sona tablets. So funny!
    I remember a few months ago she was doing posts about how careful she is about working with brands and how she'll only promote something (paid for) if She really believes in it.
    Her credibility is completely gone for me anyway.

https://m.facebook.com/SonaNutrition/photos/a.10150554130275357.652660.484367585356/10157610525915357/?type=3&comment_id=10157622559935357&notif_t=like&notif_id=1477208757662450&ref=m_notif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

loulou87 wrote: »
    Just saw on FB that <snip> is touting sona vitamins now when she was promoting another brand alive multivitamins just last year. Pics and all, though her fee must have been less last year cause she didn't do as much promo on the alive vitamins (the company must be raging!) for
    Absolutely gas.
    I looked at her snapchat and there she is yesterday showing what's in her make up bag.. her make up along with some sona tablets. So funny!
    I remember a few months ago she was doing posts about how careful she is about working with brands and how she'll only promote something (paid for) if She really believes in it.

https://m.facebook.com/SonaNutrition/photos/a.10150554130275357.652660.484367585356/10157610525915357/?type=3&comment_id=10157622559935357&notif_t=like&notif_id=1477208757662450&ref=m_notif

There was no #ad on the snap when she pulled them out of her make up bag either even tho she is being paid to promote them. There was also the Bourjois mascara shown too that she is promoting, but no #ad on that snap either. Have noticed that she isn't consistent with # her ads. Her Facebook post on Sona only said she had "teamed up with" the brand but didn't specify it was an ad. I find myself sceptical of her because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

I feel the same too

2 months ago she spoke/blogged about 'one of my favourite brands' I've been following her for years and I've never heard her mention this brand but all of a sudden, when money is involved, its her favourite.

I noticed the mascara thing too. Over the last year or so, all her makeup recommendations have been high end. When she started talking about this one I though 'great, a dupe for a high end mascara' It was only 2 days later that she said 'I've been working with' I lost interest.

Also, lately her fashion blogs come with a disclaimer 'Please note, <snip> may receive commission on sales via the links above' So her fashion advice has now become an advertisement.

I've never seen #ad on any of her snaps

loulou87 wrote: »
    Absolutely gas.

She is everywhere at the minute. It's complete over saturation. Book, butter ad, vitamins, jeans. Come on like it's absolutely ridiculous.

This morning she was quite narky when she got loads of snaps asking her about her son's toy storage. Her reply was "if you'd have bought my book you'd know I did a whole section on storage". Sorry but not everyone who follows you is obligated to buy your book. Thought her response was fairly catty. She never used to be like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

anna080 wrote: »
    She is everywhere at the minute. It's complete over saturation. Book, butter ad, vitamins, jeans. Come on like it's absolutely ridiculous.

This morning she was quite narky when she got loads of snaps asking her about her son's toy storage. Her reply was "if you'd have bought my book you'd know I did a whole section on storage". Sorry but not everyone who follows you is obligated to buy your book. Thought her response was fairly catty. She never used to be like that.

I looked back over her snaps and didn't see any narkyness.
    She said lots of people were asking about the storage unit. Then she was flicking through her book. Did she delete a snap somewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement