Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drinking coffee while driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Whatever about a coffee cup, there's a lot more hardship involved with taking a drink from a bottle, you need one hand to hold the bottle, another to open it, that's where the knees come in handy ;)

The knees are for food. Spaghetti or noodles should be OK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

McGixxer wrote: »
    It's obviously impossible to eliminate all distractions, but adding to them should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

I read somewhere that coffee is also the worst thing (apart from alcohol) that you can drink if you're driving for more than half an hour, because (according to the report), as the effect of the caffeine wears off (20-30 mins), you become even more distracted than if you'd drank nothing.

So I can't have a coffee before leaving the house because it will wear off?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's obviously impossible to eliminate all distractions, but adding to them should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

I read somewhere that coffee is also the worst thing (apart from alcohol) that you can drink if you're driving for more than half an hour, because (according to the report), as the effect of the caffeine wears off (20-30 mins), you become even more distracted than if you'd drank nothing.
    Do you have a link to that report?
    I can imagine some people don't tolerate caffeine well, but to suggest everyone suffers a comedown in half an hour feels very wrong.
    Any studies I've read shows caffeine has a positive effect on performance (sports, tasks etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So the conclusions at the end of today is that from now on cars will have no entertainment systems, a blank dash, no rear view or wing mirrors, and single occupancy only. Certainly no drinks holders.

The alternative is that millions of innocent puritanical motorists are killed on a daily basis.

That's the time it takes to kick in :)

If that was true coffee would be useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I can't have a coffee before leaving the house because it will wear off?

He better tell the RSA the bad news too...
    The RSA have the following advice for tired drivers:

Stop, park in a safe place and take a nap for 15 minutes (set your mobile phone alarm). This is the most important tactic.
    To really make the most of the break, take a caffeine drink before the nap (150mg of caffeine e.g. 2 cups of coffee). After the nap, the caffeine should have started to take effect.
    Then get some fresh air and stretch your legs for a few minutes.
    By following all of the above advice you should be able to drive for another hour or so.

I get the feeling that the poster in question though will just keep digging rather than admit the fact that drinking a coffee in the car is not the same as using a mobile, drunk driving, or whatever other comparison he'll make (and then deny when called out on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Autosport wrote: »
    Why would you take a drink/sip when the gardai are behind/passing you? That's asking for trouble and yes I drink beverages when I drive as like some other motorists I can multitask

Why would you NOT? Unless there was salt and lemon involved?

The rest is just a general rant, not aimed at you autosport.

Do people think points should be handed out for scratching an itch? Maybe we should pull over if we feel an itch coming on. Or not drive at all for fear of an itch? Or a wasp in the car? That's it. We should just call an uber/hailo if we need to go somewhere as long as we bring something to scratch the taximans itch, swat the insect etc just in case like.

We should probably sue all those manufacturers that make the dash make a "bong" sound to alert us to important info on the dash, because nobody fit to be out driving could possibly do anything beyond staring out the windscreen like a bug eyed non blinking looon. ;-)

Full PPE at all times, everywhere, people!

Holy fvck this is worse than the dash cam thread where people lost their lives over a car about to turn positioning one wheel slightly over the line on a really wide road.

Jesus the ayatollahs of the RSA will be banning music/talk in cars next..... wait a minute, didn't a recent RSA sh!tefest suggest that silent passengers were a sign of bad drivers???? Having epic bantz was a sure sign of an awesome driver?

Would you rather meet Tim SippetySip Horton on the road, or Bridie and sheila turned sideways having great gas, gesticulating away, shur shtop and then I said to Maura....

Real life isn't perfect. It's fuzzy. It's analog. It's shades of grey. If you can't deal with that, if you can't apply some common fvking sense and just get on with it... it's you that needs to stop driving, not the person sipping their petrol station coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that report?
    I can imagine some people don't tolerate caffeine well, but to suggest everyone suffers a comedown in half an hour feels very wrong.
    Any studies I've read shows caffeine has a positive effect on performance (sports, tasks etc)

It's on Google. Have a look next time you're driving ;)

Real life isn't perfect. It's fuzzy. It's analog. It's shades of grey. If you can't deal with that, if you can't apply some common fvking sense and just get on with it... it's you that needs to stop driving, not the person sipping their petrol station coffee.

No, it's you who needs to stop driving, because you're a fvking sh1t driver and think otherwise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No, it's you who needs to stop driving, because you're a fvking sh1t driver and think otherwise :)

When are you back to school?

• Advertisement

Close the thread, I found a solution:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/eating-driving-80-car-accidents-study-shows-article-1.427796

Ban on eating and coffee would reduce accidents rate by 80%.

80% is a lot.

Change the contract with gosafe, turn them into free burritos and coffee on the side of the road and save lives at the same time.

Speed no longer kills. Burrito does. So does coffee.

When are you back to school?
    Never go into a battle of wits unarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I had a 99 today while driving.
    Before that I drank a bottle of water... while driving.
    I regularly drink coffee , eat burgers and do god knows what while I'm driving.

Where do I hand my licence back ?

(20yrs ticket free, crash free, lots of high speed driving)

It's on Google. Have a look next time you're driving ;)
    So you made it up. Thought so.

But by all means continue to make up ridiculous accusations. It's really helping your point.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I had a 99 today while driving.
    Before that I drank a bottle of water... while driving.
    I regularly drink coffee , eat burgers and do god knows what while I'm driving.

Where do I hand my licence back ?

(20yrs ticket free, crash free, lots of high speed driving)

Don't hand it back, rip it up and try very hard to understand why you're a danger to other road users. But I doubt you will, because you're a typical, inconsiderate driver, who couldn't care less if they kill someone, as a direct consequence of your reckless behaviour.
    So you made it up. Thought so.

But by all means continue to make up ridiculous accusations. It's really helping your point.

Typical response I'd expect from someone with an IQ comparable to that of a gherkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

You think I should apologise to you because you decided to jump on the bandwagon and try to belittle me, and I responded accordingly?
    You'd be right in assuming I won't be affording you the same courtesy.

It is, and I've been riding bikes for 40 years. I've been driving cars for the same length.
    No, I'm not easily distracted, as my life depends on it. Unfortunately, my life also depends on car drivers not getting distracted, and you're kidding yourself if you think drinking coffee whilst driving doesn't or can't distract you. What if you dropped the cup of hot coffee into your lap, would that not distract you, or are you like all the other special people on here, who have special hands and have never dropped anything in their life?

I wasn't jumping on any bandwagon. You're post caught my attention and I replied, I would hate to think that you felt I was trying to belittle you. I am once again sorry.

I'm not going to debate any more. It is clear that you are stuck on your opinion. Which is fine. The shouty aggressive tone is unnecessary if you have logical and coherent points by the way.

Typical response I'd expect from someone with an IQ comparable to that of a gherkin.
    Are you even old enough to drive?

Resorting to childish name calling, insults does really add credibility to your argument. It certainly doesn't imply you've any call to question other posters' IQ. You are clearly struggling to grasp any scenario other than the extreme. By your logic we should never have passengers in the car because it's possible that a passenger could be a distraction.

Are you even old enough to drive?

Resorting to childish name calling, insults does really add credibility to your argument. It certainly doesn't imply you've any call to question other posters' IQ. You are clearly struggling to grasp any scenario other than the extreme. By your logic we should never have passengers in the car because it's possible that a passenger could be a distraction.
    Are you really that far detached from reality that you've lost all sense of self-awareness?

It's you who can only see in black and white.
    "I haven't killed anyone yet, therefore what I'm doing is safe"
    My only option now is showing you to be the fool you quite obviously are, because you're obviously so devoid of any sense of self-awareness, it's pointless attempting to hold a rational conversation with you.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I wasn't jumping on any bandwagon. You're post caught my attention and I replied, I would hate to think that you felt I was trying to belittle you. I am once again sorry.

I'm not going to debate any more. It is clear that you are stuck on your opinion. Which is fine. The shouty aggressive tone is unnecessary if you have logical and coherent points by the way.

When you've been hit by a car driver who was too busy doing things that didn't involve him looking where he was going, it tends to form an opinion that car drivers should be concentrating on driving, rather than drinking coffee, or whatever their distraction of choice is.
    I get 'shouty' when people refuse to accept that distractions cause 'accidents'... although they aren't 'accidents', they're the result of reckless driving.

Where did I say anything that remotely suggested that.

Can eating/drink when driving be dangerous? Of course. I've never suggested otherwise. You've failed to show how drinking a coffee when stopped (at the lights, heavy traffic, etc) puts lives at risk.

My only option now is showing you to be the fool you quite obviously are, because you're obviously so devoid of any sense of self-awareness, it's pointless attempting to hold a rational conversation with you.
    So your only option is to expose me for a fool, and to do that you refuse to hold a rational rational conversation.
    You're just backing up my idea that you are post extreme hyperbole, and refuse to actually back up anything you are challenged on. Reducing somebody's position to the absurd is one of the biggest signs of a weak argument.

• Advertisement

Where did I say anything that remotely suggested that.

Can eating/drink when driving be dangerous? Of course. I've never suggested otherwise. You've failed to show how drinking a coffee when stopped (at the lights, heavy traffic, etc) puts lives at risk.

We're not discussing drinking coffee whilst stopped. Please read the thread title and subsequent replies. We're talking about drinking coffee whilst driving.
    Please stop trying to move the goalposts.

We're not discussing drinking coffee whilst stopped. Please read the thread title and subsequent replies. We're talking about drinking coffee whilst driving.
    Please stop trying to move the goalposts.

When somebody is in the driver's seat, at the lights, with the engine running they are driving a car.

As you concede the above is a different scenario, and not dangerous. It proves that not all situations are equal. Ergo, there's a huge difference between some downing half a bottle of lucozade while changing lanes on the motorway, and sipping a coffee or another drink at a suitable time. Suitable being the operative word.

Can logic applies to passengers, just because passengers can be a distraction (there was a road safety ad highlight this a few years back), doesn't mean that passengers are always a distraction.

Can logic applies to passengers, just because passengers can be a distraction (there was a road safety ad highlight this a few years back), doesn't mean that passengers are always a distraction.
    Coffee isn't a distraction if it's left in the cup holder, but drinking it whilst you're driving is a distraction. There are no grey areas, unless we class sitting at lights as driving.

Can eating/drink when driving be dangerous? Of course. I've never suggested otherwise.

So why do so many people think it's OK to endanger the lives of others by eating/drinking whilst driving? Is it OK because they didn't kill anyone yet? Should they be allowed to do it because not many people are killed in Ireland by people drinking coffee? Where do we draw the line?

If you have time to Google it, have a look for recent articles relating to crashes caused by distractions. Studies suggest that mobile phone use is possibly not as dangerous as some other, everyday distractions, such as drinking coffee.

So why do so many people think it's OK to endanger the lives of others by eating/drinking whilst driving? Is it OK because they didn't kill anyone yet?
    Just because it can be a distraction (as I said above) doesn't mean it is always a distraction. Why do you keep trying to group them together?
    Downing a bottle of coke with your head back and eyes off the road is clearly dangerous.
    Sipping from a coffee cup while you focus on driving is not remotely the same.
    If you have time to Google it, have a look for recent articles relating to crashes caused by distractions. Studies suggest that mobile phone use is possibly not as dangerous as some other, everyday distractions, such as drinking coffee.

I've already read the reports
    https://safestart.com/news/top-10-causes-distracted-driving-and-what-they-all-have-common

Eating/Drinking is one of the lowest on par with the car radio (do you feel radios should be banned?)

Passengers are a rated higher.Mobile phone use higher again.
    But the biggest distraction, higher than everything else combined, is drivers simply getting distracted themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

'There is none so blind, as those who will not see'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Are you really that far detached from reality that you've lost all sense of self-awareness?

It's funny, you attack others as you believe they are picking you up incorrectly, yet you find it ok to totally misquote other posters and then personally insult them. You're a gas man. It's a wonder you're such a 'safe' driver when you seem unable to see past your own personal space.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Should having kids in the car be banned? Now they are a fairly big distraction. Maybe they should walk behind the car? No wait you'd be driving slowly and checking them in the mirror. Maybe call a taxi for the kids and drive behind them? No wait, sure the taxi driver could be one of these dangerous drivers who drinks coffee in the car. Feck, can't leave them home alone. Might as well sell the car so as we can't leave the house in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McG is complaining about meeting us maniacs with our coffees in hand on the road, yet his refusal to admit when he's wrong/been called out on some nonsense comparison are the type I personally hate encountering.

Even when they make a mistake on the road (happens to us all) they refuse to just acknowledge it and apologise and instead plow on regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I wouldn't like to have any of the posters here advocating for me in a court.

Advertisement