Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drinking coffee while driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Am i the only one who has never drank or eaten anything while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ofcork wrote: »

Well... *takes a sip of coffee* I'd have to say that it's unusual alright *opens a packet of crisps, changes lanes*

Posted from my S6 Edge+ , live from the M50

I'm kidding btw!! :p

But in all seriousness... if you do long runs or are out on the road a lot you very quickly start eating/drinking on the go. When I used to do IT support between multiple sites I lived out of garages and the car some days.

Nowadays I have a very early start at weekends and a very late return so I'd regularly grab a coffee on the way out first before I hit the 160km motorway trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ofcork wrote: »
    Nope, I don't either. At least I can sell my car with a guarantee the cup holders have never been used :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I gave up buying coffee as it was costing a fortune and adding time to my day plus spilling it was a pain too. I know the UK cops took a HGV driver to court for eating and apple while driving. They also took another driver to court for sneezing as he covered his mouth but that got thrown out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

tuxy wrote: »
    I think we all know about the driving lane / overtaking lane by now. Took decades to get peoples head around this. But is this the correct term for the lane to the right of a climbing lane?

So the Left Lane is always a Climbing Lane ? :rolleyes:

Might take a few more decades for some people to figure out this multi-lane system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    tuxy wrote:
    I think we all know about the driving lane / overtaking lane by now. Took decades to get peoples head around this. But is this the correct term for the lane to the right of a climbing lane?
    So the Left Lane is always a Climbing Lane ? :rolleyes:

Might take a few more decades for some people to figure out this multi-lane system.

I believe tuxy is referring to locations where a climbing lane is provided as opposed to all left lanes, and in answer to his question the DTTAS refer to the lane/s next to a climbing lane as "passing lanes".

...and I believe he is (wrongly) calling all left-hand lanes "The Climbing Lane" . This is simply because nobody mentioned an uphill section or climbing lane prior to his post.

edit; if not then he is waayyy off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I used to pour cans of coke into a whiskey glass I had in the car and drink from it. The reactions were priceless. And the coke tasted great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    ...and I believe he is (wrongly) calling all right-hand lanes "The Climbing Lane" . Simply because nobody mentioned an uphill section or climbing lane prior to his post.

Did he mention all right-hand lanes were climbing lanes?

He asked in the post quoted was the lane to the right of a climbing lane an overtaking lane suggesting he knows a climbing lane is on the left.

I took his post as a simple question regarding the name of a lane next to a climbing lane rather than suggesting anything.

Sorry GM. a quick edit changed that.

• Advertisement

I used to pour cans of coke into a whiskey glass I had in the car and drink from it. The reactions were priceless. And the coke tasted great.

Years ago knew a guy who did exactly the opposite.
    Only affected his reactions though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GM228 wrote: »
    Did he mention all right-hand lanes were climbing lanes?

He asked in the post quoted was the lane to the right of a climbing lane an overtaking lane suggesting he knows a climbing lane is on the left.

I took his post as a simple question regarding the name of a lane next to a climbing lane rather than suggesting anything.

Thanks GM228 that's exactly what I was asking. I was trying to figure out the lane setup from the OPs post as he said the Garda was in the fast lane. I know the naming convention for multi carriage roads (driving and overtaking) so I know that's not the type of road he was on.
    I was unfamiliar with the naming conventions of a climbing lane so was inquiring could this be the fast lane the OP refereed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know the naming convention for multi carriage roads (driving and overtaking) so I know that's not the type of road he was on.

People often use "fast lane" to refer to the overtaking lane. even though its not the technically correct name, it's a bit pompous to assume somebody doing so couldn't possibly be referring to a regular driving and overtaking lane set-up.

FYI a third lane in a dual carriageway isn't always a climbing lane. And the driving and overtaking nomenclature is obsolete in a lot of situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

He pulled me in just after the Coachmans roundabout at the Ulster bank hidden atm just before the Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mellor wrote: »
    People often use "fast lane" to refer to the overtaking lane. even though its not the technically correct name, it's a bit pompous to assume somebody doing so couldn't possibly be referring to a regular driving and overtaking lane set-up.

Yes but it's generally only people who think driving the majority of their trip in the right lane will get them there faster that make this mistake. I think it's a bit rude to assume the OP is one of these people. And I wouldn't say people make the mistake often anymore, thankfully lane discipline in Ireland has improved drastically.
    Mellor wrote: »
    FYI a third lane in a dual carriageway isn't always a climbing lane. And the driving and overtaking nomenclature is obsolete in a lot of situations.

Who said anything about a dual carriageway? I was trying to figure out if the incident may have occurred on a single carriageway road with a climbing lane. I did not know the correct names for the lanes in that layout but thanks to some kind posters I now do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes but it's generally only people who think driving the majority of their trip in the right lane will get them there faster that make this mistake. I think it's a bit rude to assume the OP is one of these people.
    I disagree, I'd say it comes up all the time in vernacular language. Again you are assuming that everyone who uses the technically incorrect name doesn't know how to actually use the lanes. That's a bit arrogant tbh.

I assumed he was refer to standard two lane road. And made no assumptions about anything else.
    Who said anything about a dual carriageway? I was trying to figure out if the incident may have occurred on a single carriageway road with a climbing lane. I did not know the correct names for the lanes in that layout but thanks to some kind posters I now do.

You did.
    Or to be specific you mentioned multi-carriageways. Obviously triple and quad carraigeways are possible, but not sure if any exist in ireland outside of roads merging and diverging.

You said that the OP couldn't possibly be referring to a driving/overtaking lanes.
    The OP has confirmed the location now, and it appears to be a two lane dual carriageway. So your assertion that it's wasn't an arrangement like that was evidently wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

only a matter of time before it is a penalty point offence

EVERYTHING now seems to be a penalty point offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    only a matter of time before it is a penalty point offence

EVERYTHING now seems to be a penalty point offence

giphy.gif

Driving ten year old cars without special dispensation to be a penalty point offence in 5 years if insurance companies get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I like to dig in deep, root out a massive snot and wolf it down.

Is that illegal? Sometimes I need to use both hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I like to dig in deep, root out a massive snot and wolf it down.

Is that illegal? Sometimes I need to use both hands

Fine if you keep it in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

I get the feeling that everyone who thinks drinking coffee whilst driving is OK, also believes it's OK to use a mobile phone whilst driving? And it's OK to update your bookface status whilst driving, to "Just ran over a pedestrian... srsly, lol".

I've no idea whether it's illegal or it isn't, but it certainly should be illegal. It should be classed the same as using a mobile phone whilst driving, which should be treated as seriously as drinking and driving.

When the country has attitudes like this, and most people don't see a problem with driving without consideration for the safety of others, is it any wonder people get away scot-free when they use their car to kill someone, and the judge says "Ah poor Sarah really needed that coffee. Sure it was only a biker anyway."

It's unbelievable that people think this is acceptable behaviour whilst driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

McGixxer wrote: »
    I get the feeling that everyone who thinks drinking coffee whilst driving is OK, also believes it's OK to use a mobile phone whilst driving? And it's OK to update your bookface status whilst driving, to "Just ran over a pedestrian... srsly, lol".

I've no idea whether it's illegal or it isn't, but it certainly should be illegal. It should be classed the same as using a mobile phone whilst driving, which should be treated as seriously as drinking and driving.

When the country has attitudes like this, and most people don't see a problem with driving without consideration for the safety of others, is it any wonder people get away scot-free when they use their car to kill someone, and the judge says "Ah poor Sarah really needed that coffee. Sure it was only a biker anyway."

It's unbelievable that people think this is acceptable behaviour whilst driving.

Maybe it's possible that you are not a confident driver and therefore feel it unsafe to swig from a coffee while driving? Does the same go for water? Would you actually feel the need to pull over to take a drink?

I think people lacking such confidence in their driving shouldn't project their own limitations on competent drivers. It is a bit like the eejit that does something stupid while on drugs and gets them banned for the rest of us :-D

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Maybe it's possible that you are not a confident driver and therefore feel it unsafe to swig from a coffee while driving? Does the same go for water? Would you actually feel the need to pull over to take a drink?

I think people lacking such confidence in their driving shouldn't project their own limitations on competent drivers. It is a bit like the eejit that does something stupid while on drugs and gets them banned for the rest of us :-D
    No lack of confidence here. I've been driving for 40 years, and raced cars on track for many of those years.

If you're one of those people who doesn't care whether or not you kill someone, then work away, but don't try to twist my concerns into something else.

No, what I am is observant. I regularly see how taking 'a swig' of coffee can affect someone's driving.

Nice to see the good old "f*ck you Jack, I'm OK" attitude is still alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

People have lost the ability to wait.

It would be a nice pause to buy your coffee and sit in the car and drink it, and when you're finished, get out and throw the takeaway cup into a bin, and set off driving, refreshed and thirst-quenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

No lack of confidence here. I've been driving for 40 years, and raced cars on track for many of those years.

If you're one of those people who doesn't care whether or not you kill someone, then work away, but don't try to twist my concerns into something else.

No, what I am is observant. I regularly see how taking 'a swig' of coffee can affect someone's driving.

Nice to see the good old "f*ck you Jack, I'm OK" attitude is still alive and well.

Holy crap. So now, drinking a coffee is now being equated to intentionally going out to kill or harm someone. Will you get real!! I drink coffee while driving, I never take my eyes off the road. Nor do I go out intending to get in a crash or, God forbid, hurt anyone. That's slightly overboard of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Chuchote wrote: »
    People have lost the ability to wait.

It would be a nice pause to buy your coffee and sit in the car and drink it, and when you're finished, get out and throw the takeaway cup into a bin, and set off driving, refreshed and thirst-quenched.

Ideally somebody would bring you the cup and take it away again, minimise the risk to yourself of doing anything other than sitting while drinking like. Seat belt on of course. IR thermometer just in case. :cool:

Holy crap. So now, drinking a coffee is now being equated to intentionally going out to kill or harm someone. Will you get real!! I drink coffee while driving, I never take my eyes off the road. Nor do I go out intending to get in a crash or, God forbid, hurt anyone. That's slightly overboard of you!

Intentionally? Where did I say intentionally?
    I think what you need to do is read a thesaurus whilst drinking your coffee and keeping your eyes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Intentionally? Where did I say intentionally?
    I think what you need to do is read a thesaurus whilst drinking your coffee and keeping your eyes on the road.

Intentionally was my wording, not yours, so don't be getting carried away. You say stuff like 'when people use their car to kill someone' or 'you're one of those people who doesn't care whether or not you kill someone', to me it sounds like these people intentionally go out to harm people in their cars. My interpretation of it, not yours.

And while I'm reading my thesaurus, perhaps you'd like to get down off your high horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The dangers of drinking anything in a car is greatly exaggerated.

• Advertisement

Intentionally was my wording, not yours, so don't be getting carried away. You say stuff like 'when people use their car to kill someone' or 'you're one of those people who doesn't care whether or not you kill someone', to me it sounds like these people intentionally go out to harm people in their cars. My interpretation of it, not yours.
    Then perhaps, as suggested, you should read a thesaurus, and if it's interfering with your having your breakfast whilst driving, just skip straight to 'intentionally'.

Advertisement