Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drinking coffee while driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Posters basically seem to be saying one of two things:

1) I'm a great driver, I do this and anyone who thinks I shouldn't is an idiot.

2) I'm a great driver, I don't do this and anyone who does is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The dangers of drinking anything in a car is greatly exaggerated.
    I wouldn't try drinking some big mad cocktail with sparklers and stuff, but yeah.

Anybody fit to be driving in the first place is capable of the spacial awareness to grasp a cup, lift it from cup holder and bring to mouth for sip without taking their eye off the road.

Comparing it to typing out a whatsapp on a modern smartphone is nanny state codology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

McGixxer wrote: »
    Then perhaps, as suggested, you should read a thesaurus, and if it's interfering with your having your breakfast whilst driving, just skip straight to 'intentionally'.

I will thanks.. I'll check out closed minded on the way to that too, just for you !

Why would I be eating breakfast at 4 p.m., silly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

I will thanks.. I'll check out closed minded on the way to that too, just for you !

Why would I be eating breakfast at 4 p.m., silly?!
    Look up 'inconsiderate' and 'reckless' while you're there ;)

Look up 'inconsiderate' and 'reckless' while you're there ;)
    Ah now, you're not that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

And don't forget 'confabulation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Maybe it's possible that you are not a confident driver and therefore feel it unsafe to swig from a coffee while driving? Does the same go for water? Would you actually feel the need to pull over to take a drink?

I think people lacking such confidence in their driving shouldn't project their own limitations on competent drivers.

I think you're on to something here. It's the same argument used by people who complain about people "speeding" on motorways when in fact it's them who are doing 10-30 km/h below the limit because they're not capable/comfortable doing anything more.

If you can't drink from a cup of coffee AND drive safely at the same time then you shouldn't be on the road.. FFS driving is all about the ability to multitask! Watch and anticipate the traffic, watch out for pedestrians or cyclists, keep an eye on your mirrors, judge when safe to change lanes, watch your speed and adjust appropriately for the conditions etc - all of these (should!) happen every few seconds while you still maintain control over the car.

But the amount of people who can't do these things is astounding.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Soooo… should adding another and unnecessary task be sensible?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Soooo… should adding another and unnecessary task be sensible?

If someone isn't capable of drinking from a cup while driving a car then they just shouldn't have a drink - but don't assume that everyone else is bound by the same limitations.

If someone isn't capable of drinking from a cup while driving a car then they just shouldn't have a drink - but don't assume that everyone else is bound by the same limitations.

And updating your bookface status. Surely anyone who can drive can type 'hashtag grrrr traffic jam frowney face" whilst driving, right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I used to get a small bottle of Lucozade and a packet of crisps for the drive back to Dublin from Galway. I'm not sure when I realised that it wasn't altogether safe to be sucking back a fizzy sweet drink while going 120km/h; maybe when someone cut in and I spent the rest of the trip with sticky wet thighs and a sticky driving wheel.

Almost as astounding as the amount of people who do these things and think it in no way affects their concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

If hot coffee spilt on you it could cause you to lose control of the car. Bottled water is not the same. TBH regardless of how fantastic a driver everyone thinks they are it takes a split second lapse of concentration or distraction at high speed to crash. Anything that takes your eyes or mind off the road is dangerous.

Almost as astounding as the amount of people who do these things and think it in no way affects their concentration.
    screamer wrote: »
    If hot coffee spilt on you it could cause you to lose control of the car. Bottled water is not the same. TBH regardless of how fantastic a driver everyone thinks they are it takes a split second lapse of concentration or distraction at high speed to crash. Anything that takes your eyes or mind off the road is dangerous.

I assume you have auto wipers, predictive auto indicators, automatic gearbox, auto lights etc. If taking a sip of a drink is such a dangerous and arduous task for you?

And updating your bookface status. Surely anyone who can drive can type 'hashtag grrrr traffic jam frowney face" whilst driving, right? :rolleyes:

Ah yes.. messing with Facebook on a small shaking phone is COMPLETELY comparable to picking up and sipping from a cup/bottle without even looking down :rolleyes:

Think of the children!!! *sigh*

Ah yes.. messing with Facebook on a small shaking phone is COMPLETELY comparable to picking up and sipping from a cup/bottle without even looking down :rolleyes:

Think of the children!!! *sigh*
    Another straw man attack. Where did I saw it was "COMPLETELY comparable"? *sigh*

clintmj03-740x431.jpg

Another straw man attack. Where did I saw it was "COMPLETELY comparable"? *sigh*

Did you or did you not compare taking a drink from a cup/bottle to updating your Facebook status?

Stop digging mate! :pac:

Did you or did you not compare taking a drink from a cup/bottle to updating your Facebook status?

Stop digging mate! :pac:
    No, I didn't, but if you'd like to show me where you think I did, I will be happy to explain it to you in words you can understand, mate?

No, I didn't, but if you'd like to show me where you think I did, I will be happy to explain it to you in words you can understand, mate?

Go have another read of post 101 above.

But regardless... if you aren't comfortable drinking from a cup/bottle when driving then don't... but as I said already, don't assume that everyone else is incapable of doing so safely as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

No lack of confidence here. I've been driving for 40 years, and raced cars on track for many of those years.

If you're one of those people who doesn't care whether or not you kill someone, then work away, but don't try to twist my concerns into something else.

No, what I am is observant. I regularly see how taking 'a swig' of coffee can affect someone's driving.

Nice to see the good old "f*ck you Jack, I'm OK" attitude is still alive and well.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I think it's harsh to assume I am happy to kill someone.

I disagree that it is dangerous. It is relative to competency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

screamer wrote: »

Better get onto the EU and have them ban clocks, your speedo and other dials, as well as the radio. And don't forget those rear view and wing mirrors. Lethal that they are.

As a great man once said, 'Coffee doesn't kill people, people kill people'.

This craic is ruining threads all over the place.

1) Say/imply/equate/associate.
    2) "oh but I didn't say exactly that" fnar fnar I'm sooo clever
    3) feign complete misunderstanding/miscomprehension when anyone class you out on 2)

Go have another read of post 101 above.

I have no problem remembering what I wrote, and in no way does it state or suggest that drinking coffee is "COMPLETELY comparable" to updating your bookface status.
    But regardless... if you aren't comfortable drinking from a cup/bottle when driving then don't... but as I said already, don't assume that everyone else is incapable of doing so safely as well.

Nobody is capable of doing this 'safely'. Driving is inherently dangerous, and adding any distraction to the equation is adding to the danger. Is this really so hard for you to comprehend? Do you honestly believe that drinking coffee, whilst driving, doesn't distract (or have the ability to distract) the driver... really?
    GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I think it's harsh to assume I am happy to kill someone.

I think it's harsh to assume I'm not a confident driver... touché

This craic is ruining threads all over the place.

1) Say/imply/equate/associate.
    2) "oh but I didn't say exactly that" fnar fnar I'm sooo clever
    3) feign complete misunderstanding/miscomprehension when anyone class you out on 2)
    I can see why the truth might ruin threads for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

As a great man once said, 'Coffee doesn't kill people, people kill people'.

BAN ASSAULT BEVERAGES.
    The only people who should have access to liquid that hot in cups that size is the military :mad:

I have no problem remembering what I wrote, and in no way does it state or suggest that drinking coffee is "COMPLETELY comparable" to updating your bookface status.

I feel like I'm back in English class, but I'm the teacher. OK, let's spell it out..

- You compared updating your Facebook status on a mobile phone while driving to taking a drink from a cup/bottle...agreed?

I responded that the two are in no way comparable (COMPLETELY being capitalised for emphasis as to how ridiculous the notion is)
    Nobody is capable of doing this 'safely'. Driving is inherently dangerous, and adding any distraction to the equation is adding to the danger. Is this really so hard for you to comprehend? Do you honestly believe that drinking coffee, whilst driving, doesn't distract (or have the ability to distract) the driver... really?

YOU may not be capable of taking a drink while driving safely, fine.

Others may not be capable of doing this either.. I'll agree with this given the muppetry I witness every day on the roads, BUT... you cannot assume that everyone else has the same issues with spatial awareness (I can pick up, drink from and return a cup to the holder without looking) or multi-tasking (as I said earlier, a key requirement of driving anyway) that you are suggesting. That's just not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

if you were driving with due care and ATTENTION you would have noticed the Garda car!

Next time check your mirrors before taking a swig of coffee :D

• Advertisement

I can see why the truth might ruin threads for you ;)

2/10

Advertisement