Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drinking coffee while driving

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rolllo wrote: »
    I reckon they should be stricter on it - not saying you were driving dangerously OP, but there's plenty who are, hands off the wheel and eyes off the road while they get a good mouthful of a breakfast roll. I've seen people with bowls of cereal up on the wheel more than once and open cups of steaming hot drinks. A lad even crashed into the back of my sister's car once because he was too busy eating an ice-cream cone.

And people argue against the smoking ban in cars.......
    There's also the risk of driving one handed to consider.

You don't get banned from driving if you've only one arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The RSA say on there TV ad on long journeys drink a coffee and take a nap. I always thought coffee keeps you awake so the nap should be first

Caffeine takes 15/20 minutes to kick in, so nap after, wake up more alert. Rocket science?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A lad even crashed into the back of my sister's car once because he was too busy eating an ice-cream cone.

I have an alternative theory about what distracts male drivers during ice cream weather! Far more distracting than a 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Chuchote wrote: »
    Speaking as the cyclist whose life depends on your having two hands on the wheel and full attention on the road, I'd rather you weren't having your breakfast instead of concentrating on operating heavy machinery.

I think the Farming Forum is where you can complain about it.

We drive cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

OP - what speed were you doing? I presume this was on a motorway?
    Technically it is driving without due care. If going at such a speed, you could not admit you were in full control of your vehicle if you have one hand holding a coffee. What if you were to experience a tyre blowout?
    I'm sure if you were stuck in traffic etc..., leniency would be shown.

To those who say cars have cup holders so it must be fine - you can still have a coffee in your car and drink from it at appropriate times. Sipping while overtaking etc... is not one of those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm fecked then so. I do like a cup of coffee on long journeys.

Usually when cruising though. Wouldn't use it on the twisty bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chuchote wrote: »
    Speaking as the cyclist whose life depends on your having two hands on the wheel and full attention on the road, I'd rather you weren't having your breakfast instead of concentrating on operating heavy machinery.

I'd love if some of the cycling cohort had some common sense and didn't cycle on the N11 during rush hour including mosy-ing across off ramps. Its legal, yes, is it sane? No.

Drinking and eating while driving are perfectly legal, with the caveat of not driving dangerously. Could you imagine the outcry if smoking in cars was banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd love if some of the cycling cohort had some common sense and didn't cycle on the N11 during rush hour including mosy-ing across off ramps. Its legal, yes, is it sane? No.

Drinking and eating while driving are perfectly legal, with the caveat of not driving dangerously. Could you imagine the outcry if smoking in cars was banned?

Two things. As you said, it's not illegal to cycle on the N11, the only thing that can make it dangerous is some of the motorists. Lets remove them from the N11.

Secondly, smoking in cars is banned if you have kids in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And people argue against the smoking ban in cars.......

You don't get banned from driving if you've only one arm.

But try drinking a coffee chancing your (only) arm and I'd say you might garner attention from a passing Garda...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

There must have been a problem with the manner your driving possibly causedo by distraction whilst drinking your coffee. Drinking the coffee is NOT the offence. It's an element in the manner of your driving. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

wonski wrote: »
    I think the Farming Forum is where you can complain about it.

We drive cars :D

Look at the weight of your car. It's heavy machinery, even if you don't think so. If you really don't think so, perhaps jack it up, place your foot under the tyre of the front or back wheel and let the jack down. You may change your opinion of what's heavy and what's light ;)

There is no cycling cohort, but there are reckless people everywhere. I wouldn't personally cycle on the N11; I don't trust driver safety enough, and there is no protected, separated cycle lane there, and drivers often illegally drive on the hard shoulder.

I would ban smoking when driving. Holding something that's on fire when you're in charge of heavy machinery is not safe.

Yay! Common sense debate over whether snacking/sipping should be verboten in cars becomes cyclist waawaa fest.
    Any issues I've had as a cyclist with bad drivers was due to them being ignorant useless d!ckheads, not because they happened to be decent drivers having snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Ban driving and drink more coffee:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You probably caught his attention somehow, then when your license and insurance etc checked out, he felt the need to spout some nonsense. Cars have cupholders for a reason.

So there you have it :rolleyes: I wonder would it hold a bottle of beer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have an alternative theory about what distracts male drivers during ice cream weather! Far more distracting than a 99.

Two 99's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

When I used to smoke years ago I dropped my father to an event in kilternan in the Dublin mountains. On the way home I lit up a smoke and then came to a red traffic light. A stolen car ( Micra)came up behind me and rear ended me and drove off, found burnt out a few minutes later as I reported it in local Garda station, I had the reg and all, thought I was great.
    Anyway, the cigarette dropped out of my mouth with the impact (mild enough impact to be honest ) and I never, ever found it. No idea where it went I was terrified the carpet/upholstery would catch fire.

Still baffled to this day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Drinking a coffee or water doesn't sound so bad, but where do you draw the line?

Tuning the radio? Smoking, Eating? Shaving (electric)? Applying makeup?

Texting is obviously a no no, as is non hands free use of a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bmwguy wrote: »
    When I used to smoke years ago I dropped my father to an event in kilternan in the Dublin mountains. On the way home I lit up a smoke and then came to a red traffic light. A stolen car ( Micra)came up behind me and rear ended me and drove off, found burnt out a few minutes later as I reported it in local Garda station, I had the reg and all, thought I was great.
    Anyway, the cigarette dropped out of my mouth with the impact (mild enough impact to be honest ) and I never, ever found it. No idea where it went I was terrified the carpet/upholstery would catch fire.

You wouldn't have that problem if it was a cup of coffee you were holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bmwguy wrote: »

Maybe it landed in the micra and caused it to explode down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

The RSA say on there TV ad on long journeys drink a coffee and take a nap. I always thought coffee keeps you awake so the nap should be first

Going totally off topic here, but if you actually drink a coffee and then immediately take a 15 or 30 minute nap, you will be even more alert as it takes some time for the caffeine to have it's full affect on you.

• Advertisement

Isn't it about time anyway that these bloody car manufacturers thought about adding a hands free cup to the list of extras??

Isn't it about time anyway that these bloody car manufacturers thought about adding a hands free cup to the list of extras??

575540aab85c0708244390.jpg

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I've actually thought about hanging a hydration pack off the back of the seat but probably trying to find the hose would be more distracting than reaching for a cup

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've actually thought about hanging a hydration pack off the back of the seat but probably trying to find the hose would be more distracting than reaching for a cup

HTB1uDb8IXXXXXbJXFXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

But coffee dehydrates you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

But coffee dehydrates you!

An urban myth dating from 1928 which has been proven to be simply that - a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

OP were you driving like this, was that the problem?

https://digestivebiscuits.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/img_7119.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Mellor wrote: »
    Maybe it landed in the micra and caused it to explode down the road.

Maybe! But I think the 2 scumbags driving it had a lot to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

WRC and Dakar make use of these. I fitted one when I was driving across America with the exotic rallys. Actually really handy.

Advertisement