Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should motorbikes be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't know about motorbikes,

but jetski's definitely should, vast majority who ride them are @ssholes

motorbikes on water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    Motor vehicles will eventually become entirely automated and there should be no reason why vehicles should be allowed to exceed the speed limits. Vehicles should all have black boxes too. The technology is already available. Use it. When all vehicles are automated the existence of motorbikes will unsustainable. Road deaths would plummet.

There is no logical counter argument.

Automated self drive cars were, like a lot of things, the stuff of fantasy and science fiction eventually becoming a reality.

Well when it does become the norm and you are sitting in your nondescript same as everyone car reading your paper, I will remember to give you a little wave as I go past you on something like this..
    Bikes are here to stay....Get over it.

Bike of the Future

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jelone

Positive, many other nations have banned the motorcycles, they make noises and [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pollution, and they are driving too fast on road.[/font]

jelone wrote: »
    Positive, many other nations have banned the motorcycles, they make noises and [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pollution, and they are driving too fast on road.[/font]

Kindly list all those countries that have a complete ban on motorcycles.

K.Flyer wrote: »

Uk, France and some Asian countries like Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

K.Flyer wrote: »

Call it a hunch but you wont get a logical reply to that :rolleyes:

You mean the same Vietnam where motorcycle ownership outnumbers car ownership by a ratio of 10:1?

Also neither France nor the UK has a ban on motorcycles

That made me laugh out loud, :D

So you are saying that you believe that there is now a complete national ban on motorbikes in France and the U.K. :D:D
    Granted Vietnam have a notion on banning motorbikes in its capital city Hanoi by 2025, but not a complete country wide ban.

VinLieger wrote: »

You mean the same Vietnam where motorcycle ownership outnumbers car ownership by a ratio of 10:1?

Also neither France nor the UK has a ban on motorcycles
    How did you know that Vietnamese got so many motorcycles? They might have large numbers of bicycles. And i saw news said that Vietnam government banned motorcycles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Motorbike-in-Vietnam

in the UK there are 22 motorbikes per 1000 motorists

https://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Motorcycles-in-France

France has more bikes per head of population than any european county

You need more Coffee

• Advertisement

How did you know that Vietnamese got so many motorcycles? They might have large numbers of bicycles. And i saw news said that Vietnam government banned motorcycles.

Its called research, you might try doing some next time before just posting the first thing that comes into your head

http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Vietnam/sub5_9f/entry-3464.html#chapter-3

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

faceman wrote: »
    Was the left lane empty?

No, it was a busy Friday afternoon. Traffic was heavy, but moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

XR3i wrote: »
    yes motorbikes should be banned,

however i'm looking for a bike myself thats fit for a 90 mile commute, on bad and good road,

i thnk it's time for a harley

While your at it buy a convertible XR3i and go to Peter Marks for a haircut!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are motorcyclists dying disproportionally because they have no protection when hitting objects being struck by vehicles or when they hit the road?

Yes or no?...

Yes. Yes they are. We are all dying disproportionately because we have no protection when hitting objects, being struck by vehicles or when we hit the road. And I for one look forward to being replaced by humanoid Cylons who are much tougher. Once they've exterminated us there will be a significant drop in road-deaths, among others.
    Motor vehicles will eventually become entirely automated and there should be no reason why vehicles should be allowed to exceed the speed limits. Vehicles should all have black boxes too. The technology is already available. Use it. When all vehicles are automated the existence of motorbikes will unsustainable. Road deaths would plummet.

You don't like driving very much, do you?? :pac:

Christ that sounds horrible, what a bland joyless future to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Are motorcyclists dying disproportionally because they have no protection when hitting objects being struck by vehicles or when they hit the road?

Yes or no?

If yes that makes motorbikes ridiculously dangerous doesn't it?

Surely if these machines were banned - nobody seriously denies they aren't driven recklessly - immediately a significant minority of road deaths would eliminated?

You can't argue with that logic can you?

I am still waiting for an intelligent posters who doesn't just resort to abuse.

What percentage of the total deaths on our roads are bikers.... :o

Also:
    >Significant
    >Minority
    There's a certain sense a-tingling. I'm off to watch Rick Astley...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Um, having ridden a motorcycle in both I can assure you they are not banned in either of these.

Back to the home planet please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

inforfun wrote: »
    Banning motorcycles wouldnt result in the average motorist in Ireland all of a sudden being a good driver.

Ban the L driver first (not the person but the possibility) as there is no way to check every single car with an L on it breaking the rules or not.

How do you suggest people learn to be good drivers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

368100 wrote:
    How do you suggest people learn to be good drivers then?

It's been said already but time on something more 'vunerable' (like a motorcycle) certainly would help with awareness of other road users.

Might be impractical but regular retests would also improve standards drastically.

What's the thoughts around an "NCT" for bikes?
    Though in fairness I've not seen many poorly maintened ones, but at the same time bringing poor examples up to speed couldnt be too difficult..

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    It's been said already but time on something more 'vunerable' (like a motorcycle) certainly would help with awareness of other road users.

Might be impractical but regular retests would also improve standards drastically.

I have been flamed in the passed for suggesting some form of assessment when renewing a 10 year driving licence, irrespective of category.
    Some people are out there on the road having gotten their licences 40 - 50 years ago, how up to date are they on the rules of the road?
    While some will keep themselves updated others will just carry on regardless.

I know if you have been off the two wheels for a while you may be asked to do an assessment in order to get insurance quotes, not a bad idea imo, but it should be applied across all categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm guessing you didn't see the Top Gear Vietnam Special then? It'll come around on Dave again before long, I won't spoil it for you. :p

And no, motorbikes are not going to be banned in Vietnam, but there are long-term plans to ban them from downtown Hanoi in favour of a Metro system (research).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Though in fairness I've not seen many poorly maintened ones, but at the same time bringing poor examples up to speed couldnt be too difficult..

Not going to happen. There were plans for this, but thankfully it was pushed back to the next decade and it's pretty much dead.

Not enough bike mechanics around the country to even implement it. Bikes have never been that popular in this country compared to the UK or the continent. Good luck finding a biker willing to hand their bike over to a NCT cage mechanic. Will probably end up being dropped.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Not going to happen. There were plans for this, but thankfully it was pushed back to the next decade and it's pretty much dead.

Not enough bike mechanics around the country to even implement it. Bikes have never been that popular in this country compared to the UK or the continent. Good luck finding a biker willing to hand their bike over to a NCT cage mechanic. Will probably end up being dropped.

Scuse you I've only ever dropped half the bikes I've handled :o
    One of which was born of a series of events resulting in me squeezing what I thought was the brake, but had momentarily forgotten was in fact the clutch :o:o

I like bikes though..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Christ that sounds horrible, what a bland joyless future to look forward to.
    Driving will be purely recreational once it happens. I'm not opposed to that as long as there's some place to use the recreational cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It is a day like today I wish I still had my bike.
    Head up to the mountain roads and enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Microdot

There are numerous ads on TV asking us to be careful about motorcyclists.

I've had enough of this nonsense.

Motorcyclists are the most reckless and dangerous road users. In cities and towns and on motorways and rural roads they speed and weave through traffic and are a hazard to themselves other drivers and pedestrians.

Disproportionately motorcyclists die or are victims of accidents.

The reason is obvious. The motorcycle if it were invented today would not be allowed on the road. There is no protection for a driver whatsoever even at low speeds or legal speeds. A helmet or padded jacket or jumpsuit is rather flimsy when it comes in contact to the road or a collision with another vehicle. I have relatives who work with the emergency services and the stories they have told me would horrify. Motorcyclists literally get dismembered in high speed accidents.

Cars and other vehicles with the introduction of crumple zones protective structures within the car body and frontal and side air bags and of course seat belts have made crashes much more survivable.

There is literally no way to make lethal motorcycles safer.

Ban them and ban them now.

If people want to commit suicide that's fine. But motorcyclists endanger themselves and society.

Thoughts?

Will never happen, there is a whole industry that use motorcycles.
    No, they shouldn't be banned.
    I'd however like to see a law that banned them from weaving in between queuing traffic in order for them to skip the que!
    The whole idea of a motorcycle is to be ahead of traffic its not skipping the queue. Its called filtering through traffic which is legal.

Hmm.. You're talking out of your arse. I own three motorbikes in Vietnam.

Edit: Might as well reply to the topic.. No, they shouldn't be banned. The lads who are a menace do it for the thrill and they'll just be in cars instead and going a lot faster to get the same rush. I don't like speeding and to be honest, have gone off bikes in the last year. I'd have one at home for the convenience and cost but I'd be tipping around like a granny.. The thoughts of going 60+ mph on a bike in a country where people aren't actively looking for you like here is terrifying.

Seeing how they treat cars in the nct centres, there is no ****ing way I'd let them have my bike! How many of the guys in the nct even have a bike licence or any actual knowledge of motorcycles anyway.
    No need for it anyway, I don't have a link to it but the last time a bike nct was mentioned I read that around 0.2% of bike accidents were due to mechanical problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Pic says it all

Advertisement