Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should motorbikes be banned?

Options
  • 09-08-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

There are numerous ads on TV asking us to be careful about motorcyclists.

I've had enough of this nonsense.

Motorcyclists are the most reckless and dangerous road users. In cities and towns and on motorways and rural roads they speed and weave through traffic and are a hazard to themselves other drivers and pedestrians.

Disproportionately motorcyclists die or are victims of accidents.

The reason is obvious. The motorcycle if it were invented today would not be allowed on the road. There is no protection for a driver whatsoever even at low speeds or legal speeds. A helmet or padded jacket or jumpsuit is rather flimsy when it comes in contact to the road or a collision with another vehicle. I have relatives who work with the emergency services and the stories they have told me would horrify. Motorcyclists literally get dismembered in high speed accidents.

Cars and other vehicles with the introduction of crumple zones protective structures within the car body and frontal and side air bags and of course seat belts have made crashes much more survivable.

There is literally no way to make lethal motorcycles safer.

Ban them and ban them now.

If people want to commit suicide that's fine. But motorcyclists endanger themselves and society.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How are they a danger to society exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Have you never seen Marlon Brando in the Wild one?!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No, they shouldn't be banned.
    I'd however like to see a law that banned them from weaving in between queuing traffic in order for them to skip the que!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That's a lot of anger for a few TV ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I don't mind motorbikes but the test for the licence should include more hours lessons and the age raised to 25.

The other day an idiot with 2red lights in place of the headlights came towards me. He was overtaking 5 cars on bad bends. People like that shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement

No, they shouldn't be banned.
    I'd however like to see a law that banned them from weaving in between queuing traffic in order for them to skip the que!

I'd like to see a law like that for cars, too, while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rjpf1980 wrote: »

Motorcyclists are the most reckless and dangerous road users. In cities and towns and on motorways and rural roads they speed and weave through traffic and are a hazard to themselves other drivers and pedestrians.

The reason is obvious. The motorcycle if it were invented today would not be allowed on the road. There is no protection for a driver whatsoever even at low speeds or legal speeds. A helmet or padded jacket or jumpsuit is rather flimsy when it comes in contact to the road or a collision with another vehicle. I have relatives who work with the emergency services and the stories they have told me would horrify. Motorcyclists literally get dismembered in high speed accidents.

Cars and other vehicles with the introduction of crumple zones protective structures within the car body and frontal and side air bags and of course seat belts have made crashes much more survivable.

If people want to commit suicide that's fine. But motorcyclists endanger themselves and society.

Thoughts?

I'm not a biker, but have great respect and time for most. So what about all the drivers who fail to check blind spots, and double check before turning into a main road and end up with a motorbike and rider in the side of their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I walked passed a Honda 50 one day, I was terrified. It looked so menacing.

Ban them immediately.
    Put the lunatic drivers in big steel cars where they will be much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All the safety measures in your new car only help you up to a certain speed. Once your doing over 100kph, any sudden deceleration will turn the inside of your skull to mush, the car can protect the rest of your body but it's not going to do you any good if you're brain dead.

Motorcyclists just don't operate under the assumption they're safe like motorists do. I think there's a dangerous assumption in Ireland that driving slow is the same thing as driving safe. At least motorcyclists are aware of what they're doing, they're not the most dangerous things on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hopefully we will never see the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm both a biker and a car driver. I've been involved in two collisions as a biker and both times the car driver was deemed at fault. I was not weaving/speeding or doing anything dangerous at the time.

Ban cars instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

No they should NOT be banned! (As much as they have already tried to)

in return I think every car driver should be made drive a bike for a 3 month period as part of getting there licence.

Would greatly improve car driver awareness & appreciation....

Have the careless bike driver banned maybe...but not all bikers act like that!!

Punishing all would be very unfair.....

Have you ever tried to get a bike test & insure a bike?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd like to see a law like that for cars, too, while we're at it.

How long do you reckon youd last without getting pulled in if a gard saw you in a car going between 2 cars that are level with each other on a 2 lane motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

faceman wrote: »
    I'm both a biker and a car driver. I've been involved in two collisions as a biker and both times the car driver was deemed at fault. I was not weaving/speeding or doing anything am dangerous at the time.

Ban cars instead

Same here.........and as a bonus, car drivers in both instances were uninsured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Simply ban sh*t road users. A vehicle is a vehicle, they all have their pros and cons. But incompetent road users offer nothing except a hazard to themselves and other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

would ya gowan outta dat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's too many ads for tampons. We should ban periods!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

rjpf1980 wrote: »

Thoughts?

Let's ban walking instead :rolleyes:

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/
    Of the 166 fatalities, there were 76 Drivers killed, 27 Passengers, 32 Pedestrians, 22 Motorcyclists and 9 Pedal Cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

smash wrote: »

Ban them full stop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Banning motorcycles wouldnt result in the average motorist in Ireland all of a sudden being a good driver.

Ban the L driver first (not the person but the possibility) as there is no way to check every single car with an L on it breaking the rules or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its all the work of rowdy teens.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smash wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the children?!

How long do you reckon youd last without getting pulled in if a gard saw you in a car going between 2 cars that are level with each other on a 2 lane motorway?

Considering that the only times I've seen cars do that they were directly following a police car or ambulance, they don't appear to care all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Ban them full stop.

Full stops banned

You are now banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Crumple zones me hole, the body can only take so many g's before your toast. Cars should be absolute death traps take explode in fiery Hollywood explosions with the merest tip. No abs, power steering etc. and all cars rwd.
    In a few years through natural selection road safety would be greatly increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 the_yes_man

that would solve most of life's problems wouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

YES! Roads should be restricted to cars only, other strange forms of transport only confuse and upset me.

Only today I had to apply my brake to slow down for a biker, now my leg hurts. If it was only cars on the road, what a joy that would be! All those extra cars on the road would only make them safer as speeds reduce to zero.

ScumLord wrote: »
    All the safety measures in your new car only help you up to a certain speed. Once your doing over 100kph, any sudden deceleration will turn the inside of your skull to mush, the car can protect the rest of your body but it's not going to do you any good if you're brain dead.

Motorcyclists just don't operate under the assumption they're safe like motorists do. I think there's a dangerous assumption in Ireland that driving slow is the same thing as driving safe. At least motorcyclists are aware of what they're doing, they're not the most dangerous things on our roads.

do you know how fast formula one cars crash at? hint...its over 100km/hr
    how many drivers have died while driving a formula one car in the last 20 years, another hint, less than 10 Id say, how many f1 drivers have crashed at speeds over 100 km/hr in the same
    period? alot more than 10, what does that tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You're around x10 safer on a motorbike than 'any pedal bicycle' at lower speeds of 15-30+ with a proper helmet, full leathers, boots, gloves and very powerful brakes.

One thing you won't see a m'biker doing is chatting away on the phone with one hand in control of the vehicle, which is commonplace in cars.

Safety issues still need major improvements, ABS is becoming commonplace, some folks have D30 inserts and even airbags are starting to appear.

http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54cb0b95a5898_-_safermoto-1.jpg

Shear thickening fluids (STFs), auxetic materials and Dyneema are the next generation of materials that will help save lives for anyone involved in impact risks and even sports.

• Advertisement

flatface wrote: »
    YES! Roads should be restricted to cars only, other strange forms of transport only confuse and upset me.

Only today I had to apply my brake to slow down for a biker, now my leg hurts. If it was only cars on the road, what a joy that would be! All those extra cars on the road would only make them safer as speeds reduce to zero.
    on the other hand there would be more parking accidents

Advertisement