Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should motorbikes be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Where did I say that exactly, it's legal and safe to filter but should be done carefully, I don't condone trying it in fast moving traffic. I overtake as you're supposed to do.

But a glance is simply not goid enough, you're supposed to look properly and be sure.

It's the ones who assume a glance is ok be asue nothing's happened up to this that worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    It's very simple. A two wheeled vehicle which even at low speeds and legal speeds can be lethally dangerous because the rider has no protection from collision with other vehicles or structures or from contact with the road surface.

But what is your point exactly?

Your not being forced to ride one and they are of no major inconvenience to your daily life.

You say they should be banned and this will reduce road deaths, grand, but whats the end game here? Are you aiming for zero road deaths? Because you'll have to ban everything to achieve that any time soon.

I really don't know whats wrong with a lot of people here, its always about blaming somebody else, "its the car drives fault", "bikers are dangerous", "I'm a safe driver". Load of ****e, how many car drivers here claiming to be safe would actually pass an advanced driving test, or even know what roadcraft is? Bikers as well for that matter, and then how many actually behave like that on a daily basis?

Maybe a better soloution would be if we all put some time and effort into improving our own driving and let everybody else worry about themselves instead of accusing them of being **** drivers. But no, lets play the blame game instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

tu2j2 wrote: »
    Lies!!!!

I've fallen off a bike at speed and suffered no injuries what so ever. Helmet jacket and pants ruined though.

On both sides, I'd wager :p

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

I'm not talking about road craft as such although motorcycles by their sheer design encourage recklessness such as weaving through traffic.
    High powered motorbikes by their very nature allow motorcyclists to perform these lethally dangerous moves.

Bike envy is a serious, debilitating condition. It makes you foam at the mouth and talk utter bollox on message boards... but it isn't too late. You don't have to suffer in silence. There is help available!
    There is a Harley rider in Cork, he's known locally as the sheep whisperer. He allows people in a similar position to you to sit on his bike and make motorcycle noises. This treatment has proved to be beneficial in the vast majority of cases.
    Let me know if you'd like his contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Slanty wrote: »
    My glance has gotten me accident free all my life, why won't you stop worrying about my driving ability and answer my question?

You agree it's safe to drive down the white stripe of a motorway under and over taking cars?

Well there is never a reason to under take a car unless the car is in the wrong lane :/
    With the exception of two lanes of slow moving traffic but then you are not really going to do much damage to motorbike or car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Did you read the OP? I think I have clearly stated why.

I said if a motorbike was invented today it would not be allowed on the road.

I think I have already explained the danger of motorcycles compared to other vehicles.

A number of posters on this thread have simply resorted to abuse rather than present an argument.

Very telling.

You have a motorbike driving down the road at 100mph and you have a car or a van or even an artic truck driving at high speed down the road.

Who in the event of an accident will cause more damage and most likely death?

It won't be the biker apart from himself!

So is the bike more dangerous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You have a motorbike driving down the road at 100mph and you have a car or a van or even an artic truck driving at high speed down the road.

Who in the even of an accident will cause more damage and most likely death?

It won't be the biker apart from himself!

So is the bike more dangerous?

A tree falls in the forest...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Well there is never a reason to under take a car unless the car is in the wrong lane :/
    With the exception of two lanes of slow moving traffic but then you are not really going to do much damage to motorbike or car

I have no issue at all with slow moving traffic and filtering through that. No harm can be done and that's the advantage of a bike.

It's the motorway, if you drive down the middle of two lanes you are overtaking the car in the slow lane and undertaking the car in the fast lane. Doesn't mean either car shouldn't be their.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bladespin wrote: »
    But a glance is simply not goid enough, you're supposed to look properly and be sure.

It's the ones who assume a glance is ok be asue nothing's happened up to this that worry me.
    What's a proper amount of time? I'm kind of surprised to see this coming from a biker, bikers spend tiny fractions of a second making thousands of decisions, they live on glaces.

A glance can be more than enough depending on the situation, if you spend more than 1 second looking at something in traffic, you're basically just waiting for traffic. 1 second is enough for your brain to take in the light, process it and make a decision and still have time to spare. If you think about how long it takes you to go through a corner on a bike it's over in a fraction of a second, if your brain wasn't able to make a decision based on a glace you'd crash into the first corner you came to.

ScumLord wrote:
    What's a proper amount of time? I'm kind of surprised to see this coming from a biker, bikers spend tiny fractions of a second making thousands of decisions, they live on glaces.

I don't, if I'm potentially risking my life (or someone elses) I take a proper look, doesn't matter how quick you are as long as you're sure you haven't missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Your Face wrote: »
    A tree falls in the forest...

True but does the tree look to see any oncoming or stationary obstacles in its path?

A biker does but a car driver probably has no idea a biker is behind or beside them as they are not aware of their surroundings or are on the phone or fixing their makeup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

True but does the tree look to see any oncoming or stationary obstacles in its path?

A biker does but a car driver probably has no idea a biker is behind or beside them as they are not aware of their surroundings or are on the phone or fixing their makeup

I dont think trees can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm not a poor driver. I look and I drive safely and I avoid accidents.
    The size of these vehicles and their speed mean drivers of large vehicles cannot see them in time when there are head on collisions in moving traffic
    or side on collisions at junctions when drivers of cars and other vehicles pull out into the path of a motorcycle which results in the bike plowing into the side with the driver going under the wheels or being launched into the air for sometimes hundreds of yards and dismembered after their body tumbles and rubs along the roadway.

So one minute youre not a poor driver but another minute you have difficulty seeing motorbikes.

I think you need to get your eyes checked before you end up saying to a Garda "He came out of no-where" after youve knocked a biker down.

If you have difficulty seeing motorbikes it either means your eyesight is fcuked or you didnt look properly. As I said before the laws of physics are not suspended, they have to come out of somewhere.

Thats what the RSA ad is all about, it is even entitled "Take another look". It is aimed directly at people like you but instead of taking the message on board here you are arguing against the message and trying to lay the blame for your own poor driving onto motorbikes for having the temerity to drive anything that isnt a car.

Its not motorbikers who need to be put off the road, its motorists like yourself. Thankfully you are in the minority and most motorists give respect to bikers and their vulnerabilities instead of trying to justify knocking them off and potentially killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So one minute youre not a poor driver but another minute you have difficulty seeing motorbikes.

I think you need to get your eyes checked before you end up saying to a Garda "He came out of no-where" after youve knocked a biker down.

If you have difficulty seeing motorbikes it either means your eyesight is fcuked or you didnt look properly. As I said before the laws of physics are not suspended, they have to come out of somewhere.

Thats what the RSA ad is all about, it is even entitled "Take another look". It is aimed directly at people like you but instead of taking the message on board here you are arguing against the message and trying to lay the blame for your own poor driving onto motorbikes for having the temerity to drive anything that isnt a car.

Its not motorbikers who need to be put off the road, its motorists like yourself. Thankfully you are in the minority and most motorists give respect to bikers and their vulnerabilities instead of trying to justify knocking them off and potentially killing them.

I agree with everything but the highlighted part. I think most people are exactly like the OP. They only care about themselves, and have absolutely no consideration for other people. They think the whole world revolves around them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

McGixxer wrote: »
    I agree with everything but the highlighted part. I think most people are exactly like the OP. They only care about themselves, and have absolutely no consideration for other people. They think the whole world revolves around them.

I'm trying to reply properly to agree with you but it's difficult posting on boards when I'm driving on the motorway eating an ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

faceman wrote: »
    I'm trying to reply properly to agree with you but it's difficult posting on boards when I'm driving on the motorway eating an ice cream

Honestly, these "qwerty" keypads are the worst thing about these new smart phone. They make typing out messages really diffic

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

bladespin wrote: »
    Pedestrians too, they tend not to come off too well when they interact with motor vehicles, should they be banned from the road too?

Pedestrians who do not wear reflective armbands or bibs and do not walk facing against traffic should be fined. That's worthy of another thread.

Where did you get that idea? Where is this coming from?

I wrote the OP because motorcycles are so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yes, they should be banned. Or banned from residential areas at least. You should have to park in a designated bike parking spot and that spot should be at least a half a mile from the nearest inhabited abode. So you won't wake up your neighbours revving the stupid thing and they don't have to listen to you for ten minutes after you've driven off.

Anyone who owns a motorbike is an inconsiderate git. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

BronsonTB wrote: »
    No they should NOT be banned! (As much as they have already tried to)

in return I think every car driver should be made drive a bike for a 3 month period as part of getting there licence.

Would greatly improve car driver awareness & appreciation....

Have the careless bike driver banned maybe...but not all bikers act like that!!

Punishing all would be very unfair.....

Have you ever tried to get a bike test & insure a bike?

TBH haven't read the whole tread but this makes perfect sense (3 months maybe too long, possibly ). I would also apply this to pushbikes too and getting a car license.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

I watch out for motorcyclists all the time. I drive carefully and look out for hazards. Even being careful it is still difficult to see motorcylists in busy moving traffic especially when they are weaving through vehicles like in a Tom Cruise movie. You know this. I know this. We all know this. That's a simple fact. I merely pointed out the inherent danger of motorcycles and get abuse and personal attacks and no coherent replies. I haven't seen one serious comment or intelligent reply that has taken my argument apart.

We all know motorbikes are dangerous. We all know motorcylists die or are injured disproportionally.

Why have a needless hazard? Ban them.

Basic logic.

Bike envy is a serious, debilitating condition. It makes you foam at the mouth and talk utter bollox on message boards... but it isn't too late. You don't have to suffer in silence. There is help available!
    There is a Harley rider in Cork, he's known locally as the sheep whisperer. He allows people in a similar position to you to sit on his bike and make motorcycle noises. This treatment has proved to be beneficial in the vast majority of cases.
    Let me know if you'd like his contact details.

You haven't an intelligent argument do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Get to **** would you!

rjpf1980 wrote:
    Pedestrians who do not wear reflective armbands or bibs and do not walk facing against traffic should be fined. That's worthy of another thread.

Yes, but the onus is on the driver to gave enough awareness so as not to endanger them, no matter how diffucult they are to see.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Most of the hate car drivers have for bikers is caused by jealousy.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Most of the hate car drivers have for bikers is caused by jealousy.

Jealousy? Explain.

jjpep wrote: »
    TBH haven't read the whole tread but this makes perfect sense (3 months maybe too long, possibly ). I would also apply this to pushbikes too and getting a car license.

Why not just ban motorcycles and spare car drivers the bother?

rjpf1980 wrote:
    You haven't an intelligent argument do you?

It's a recognised psycosis; symptoms include bitterness towards other road users, dillusion, irrational posts and penis envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Motorcyclists are without a doubt far better at what they do than the average car driver, cos they have to be.
    OP must have a small willy!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Jealousy? Explain.

Bikes are an amazing way to travel. Closest thing to flying without leaving the ground or doing drugs.

You can glide by a line of traffic and dramatically reduce your journey time.

Even a bog standard motorbike has more performance than any car the average person will ever be able to afford.

They're to cheap to tax and insure. Even the big bikes have decent fuel economy.

You don't even have to break the speed limit, taking a bike through a series of corners and getting it leaned over is the most fun part.

Advertisement