Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you fix RTE 2 ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Elmo wrote: »
    Withdrawn but remains pending !

To refuse the then minister would have had to make a decision, he didn't

Minister not making a decision? is that the same minister that never makes a decision, but comments on all other decisions or is there more than one Shane Ross? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

most of which are already on Free to air UK channels.

If something is already on UK FTA channels or not is irrelevant. It should have no bearing on if RTÉ should show it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

lertsnim wrote: »
    If something is already on UK FTA channels or not is irrelevant. It should have no bearing on if RTÉ should show it or not.

The main point is that it's on in the middle of the night. But I think the point that it's also on E4 should certainly stand.

But I think the point that it's also on E4 should certainly stand.

Why should it?

Why should it?

Because if they have major budget issues, shows that 99% of the country already have access to should be the first to go. It would be far better for them, and the country, to invest the money in home produced shows, or better still, cut it from the budget altogether. You really think we'd miss Brooklyn Nine Nine at 2:20am if it was cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why should it?

Because if they have major budget issues, shows that 99% of the country already have access to should be the first to go. It would be far better for them, and the country, to invest the money in home produced shows, or better still, cut it from the budget altogether. You really think we'd miss Brooklyn Nine Nine at 2:20am if it was cut?

I don't think it should matter if other broadcasters have programmes that RTÉ also have, however I agree that late night new episodes of programmes is daft when money could be spent elsewhere.

I don't think it should matter if other broadcasters have programmes that RTÉ also have, however I agree that late night new episodes of programmes is daft when money could be spent elsewhere.

It shouldn't matter no, but my 2 main problems were that A)other stations bid for these and B)RTE outbid them to then chuck em on the graveyard slot

C)its already on free to air only strengthens my point. but forget that if you wanna be pedantic.

It shouldn't matter no, but my 2 main problems were that A)other stations bid for these and B)RTE outbid them to then chuck em on the graveyard slot

C)its already on free to air only strengthens my point. but forget that if you wanna be pedantic.

A) no other Irish broadcasters bid for these shows
    B) TV3 have a major contract with ITV, other ITV & Channel 5 distributors, both of which are FTA, while TG4 spend little on imports.
    C) Not everyone has FTA satellite, or PAY TV... if you want to forget them

A) no other Irish broadcasters bid for these shows
    B) TV3 have a major contract with ITV, other ITV & Channel 5 distributors, both of which are FTA, while TG4 spend little on imports.
    C) Not everyone has FTA satellite, or PAY TV... if you want to forget them

Hold on, so you're saying the executive from TV3 or Tg4 was lying? Fair enough..... Do yourself and lertsnim work for RTE?

Seems a very strange argument to take hold of, defending the right of RTE to waste our hard earned on shows that next to nobody is watching or wants to watch or can't watch elsewhere.

If ye do work for them, congrats on helping bleed the country.

Here's one of the old stories - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/tv-now-the-future-of-irish-television-1.438061

, chief exec of TV3 with the direct quote
    McREDMOND ACCUSES RTÉ of buying “tons and tons” of US acquisitions, spending €25 million a year on the likes of Mad Men– “which they put on at 11.30 at night”, plus “a load of stuff they don’t play out at all”, simply to keep TV3 out of the market. “We would go after things like Hawaii Five-0, Pan Am, The Good Wife, and time and time again, we’d turn up at the door of a studio and be told, ‘Oh no, we’ve a deal with RTÉ.’ That’s not what RTÉ should be doing . . . But most of all – and this is what most exercises me – it’s that they’ve completely messed up the commercial market.”

• Advertisement

Hold on, so you're saying the executive from TV3 or Tg4 was lying? Fair enough..... Do yourself and lertsnim work for RTE?

Seems a very strange argument to take hold of, defending the right of RTE to waste our hard earned on shows that next to nobody is watching or wants to watch or can't watch elsewhere.

If ye do work for them, congrats on helping bleed the country.

Here's one of the old stories - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/tv-now-the-future-of-irish-television-1.438061

, chief exec of TV3 with the direct quote

I questioned this at the time of that, I looked into it, an executive at RTÉ told me that RTÉ rarely compete with TV3 for rights to US programming. You have to remember that TV3 are probably spending about as much as RTÉ on imports TV3 choose ITV and Channel 5 programming to import, this is historical from the ITV side, since ITV owned TV3 and be3 at one stage.

The only time TV3 took an interest was way back with Sex and The City when TV3 bought it along with TV of the week movies, RTÉ didn't want the movies, TV3 in its early years had a direct link to Fireworks Distributors through CanWest, their parent company.

I don't know if I trust a man who bought TV3 at 265million and sold it for 80million, while letting go of their top programming, and leading to 2 years of massive losses at the channel.

TV3 could have easily bought any of the HBO and the CW dramas that TG4 took. Also in the early years of TV3 RTÉ had first preference on EastEnders, they choose not to use it, until they lost Coronation Street.

Also have no problem agreeing RTÉ are overspending and are also scheduling the shows badly.

So essentially you've got some personal interest in this or are strangely defensive of RTE. You're defending the indefensible saying they're spending money wisely on shows like Brooklyn Nine Nine and showing it at 2:20am on a midweek night.

You then call the chief executive of a rival company a liar. Sure ya, I think I'll believe the Irish Times and the chief exec over "elmo on boards".

Very very strange.

So essentially you've got some personal interest in this or are strangely defensive of RTE. You're defending the indefensible saying they're spending money wisely on shows like Brooklyn Nine Nine and showing it at 2:20am on a midweek night.

You then call the chief executive of a rival company a liar. Sure ya, I think I'll believe the Irish Times and the chief exec over "elmo on boards".

Very very strange.

No, I have no personal interest in this other than my own interest in Irish TV.

I am not defending RTÉ stance on airing programs in mid-night slots, I have said on several occasions said that RTÉ One air 20% repeats during prime time and RTÉ2 air 45% during the same hours while also airing new programming after mid-night, I have said all of this is ridiculous time and time again. And I have said that it is a waste of money.

I am not calling Mr. McRedmond a liar but he is playing to an audience and he is a good PR man, about the only thing he is good at.

It seems strange to me that he said this when he was buying in all of ITV schedule and Big movies for TV3 from US studios, TV3 clearly were spending their money on non-American programming, how does he explain TG4 ability to buy Vampire Diaries, OZ, Carnival, Breaking Bad, The Wire, One 3 Hill, Mr Robot and so on over the years, surely TV3 could have out maneuvered TG4.

Also Channel 6 seemed to have no problem buying in both New and Old American shows, I think they even made a deal on Season 1 of Jail Break with RTÉ.

It also strange to think that when TV3 "dropped" those same ITV shows that RTÉ didn't go in and buy them up.

I am not defending RTÉ stance on airing programs in mid-night slots, I have said on several occasions said that RTÉ One air 20% repeats during prime time and RTÉ2 air 45% during the same hours while also airing new programming after mid-night, I have said all of this is ridiculous time and time again. And I have said that it is a waste of money.

That's good enough for me, agreed!

Do yourself and lertsnim work for RTE?

I've been rumbled. I'm the director general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

The rebrand in 2014? From RTE Two to RTE2 was complety pointless. The ass indents look complely out of place now with reruns of john credon on the shannon, dragons den and faulty towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

The rebrand in 2014? From RTE Two to RTE2 was complety pointless. The ass indents look complely out of place now with reruns of john credon on the shannon, dragons den and faulty towers.

Yes I totally agree really look out of place now

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

It would be good if RTE could do a deal with Discovery to acquire some programs like what Quest shows on Freeview in the UK. I'd say these type of programs would rate fairly well as the nature documentaries rate well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

zeebre12 wrote: »
    It would be good if RTE could do a deal with Discovery to acquire some programs like what Quest shows on Freeview in the UK. I'd say these type of programs would rate fairly well as the nature documentaries rate well.
    My parents watch a lot of quest.
    I think it would be well received on terrestrial TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Where does Fawlty Towers fall into their age group that they're trying to attract? Awful scheduling going on over Christmas at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hire Al Porter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Its been pretty clear for the last year that they have givin up the ghost again on the 15/34 market and i bet a repeat of faulty towers will get a lot more viewers than a repeat of the big bang theory or friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the problem is that most people have sky or freeview. those that don't have the internet to watch.
    most of rte s programmes are reruns off of other channels. why would you watch rte when you can watch newer episodes or episodes in order on other channels.

there is nothing on rte to entice you to tune in. all the films are ancient or one demographic (harry potter, marvel comics, fantastic 4 etc)

where are the comedy nights like the past. comedy now is just rerun 3-4 year old bought in cheap US shows that everyone has seen 10 times

Advertisement