Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you fix RTE 2 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

syklops wrote: »
    This comment makes my head hurt.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You do realise that RTE2 have rights to a good lot of sports events that cover a lot of Irish interest. Where would you put that if RTE2 was closed down? RTE One? RTE Player only? You think the older viewers on RTE One will be happy with not seeing the Nine O'Clock News until a much later time on certain nights while instead seeing mega rich footballers kicking a football around the pitch.

One thing I would suggest for RTE One & RTE2 is to stop showing Euronews in the later hours of the night & only have it on NN. RTE2 could have similar signed RTE programmes like what is scheduled with RTE One copied onto RTE2 late at night to make sure it fills the schedule until when RTEjr begins at 7am the next day. If RTEjr is taken off RTE2; I would prefer it being turned to a seperate RTEjr/TRTE channel which would show RTEjr from 7am to 12pm & TRTE from 12p to 6pm factoring in the TwoTube programme in the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This comment makes my head hurt.

If you aren't going to expand on that then thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Stop buying in US shows only to be showing them first time at crazy times like 12am, 1am etc while you are repeating sheite like Republic Of Telly in the prime time slots the same evenings, talk about blowing money.
    If they switched them around and put the US shows in primetime and moved the Irish shows to crazy times or not show them at all, people would complain too the "home grown" programming was being ignored in favour of US imports. You can't win, though I agree, showing rather popular US shows at midnight or after is ludicrous.

Some ideas...

- Move all young kids programming to RTÉ Junior
    - Use the morning hours for UK/US imports & game shows
    - Use the afternoon hours for documentaries / sitcoms followed by TRTÉ
    - Revamp the early evening & night schedules to have proper blocks of programmes, i.e. comedy night, nature night, movie night etc.
    - Give the channel a decent bloody look. The current one is beyond awful.
    - Have an alternative news programme / bulletins that's more relaxed over the formal stuffyness of RTÉ ONE's news broadcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The last thing we need is more news or current affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Elmo wrote: »
    Why?

RTE One +1 is RTE One but 1 hour later. Its not a different channel.

Was that not obvious to anyone else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think what was meant that using a full channel as a +1 channel is a waste and would be better served as something else. RTE's plan originally was to use this as an archive channel using much of the massive archive RTE has built up over the last 50 years. They were going to call it RTE plus or RTE three.

The point looks to have flown miles over your head. My point was RTÉ One +1 shouldn't exist and it should be RTÉ Three.

Take some nurofen for your hurt head.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The point looks to have flown miles over your head. My point was RTÉ One +1 shouldn't exist and it should be RTÉ Three.

Take some nurofen for your hurt head.

Do you know how much money it costs to run a +1 channel? Not a lot. Considering the thread is about how to fix RTE2, why are we introducing a whole new channel into the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

sell it off and privatise it. Is there anything on RTE2 that has anything to do with it being 'National Broadcaster'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

1 thing that bothers me about RTÉ2 is that they don't have their shows starting at consistent times. This was most obvious to me when they showed Brooklyn-99's last season, it started at 20:05 (I think, it was 5 past the hour anyway), which is a balls for recording purposes - the last 5 minutes could end up clashing with something else. :mad:

Do you know how much money it costs to run a +1 channel? Not a lot. Considering the thread is about how to fix RTE2, why are we introducing a whole new channel into the mix?

Oh dear. Let's forget that you misunderstood my post and continue on with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Simple, sports.

There is massive interest from Irish viewers in a number of sports and yet RTE2 has regressed regressed and regressed. That they were unable to strike a deal with say , the lOI for some decent amount of coverage is absolutely laughable

TheDoc wrote: »
    Simple, sports.

There is massive interest from Irish viewers in a number of sports and yet RTE2 has regressed regressed and regressed. That they were unable to strike a deal with say , the lOI for some decent amount of coverage is absolutely laughable

And they have moved The Sunday Game to RTÉ One this year.

And they have moved The Sunday Game to RTÉ One this year.

Only live coverage. Analysis show remains on 2.

Elmo wrote: »
    Only live coverage. Analysis show remains on 2.

Well yes, that's what I meant.

Oh dear. Let's forget that you misunderstood my post and continue on with the thread.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

could they not change rte2 into a channel like e4 which I like and watch a good bit. They need to stop with the reality type programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Their schedule can be so stagnant. The 5.30-7 one must be the same over the past 10/15 years. They haven't tried out anything different apart from Neighbours, Home And Away and The Simpsons. Does Neighbours even do anything for them?

Get talking to channel 5 and see if they can speed up being behind the aus transmissions of H&A. Think there's a few weeks delay due to C5 having first broadcast rights.

Certain US Shows need to be shown as soon as they're shown in the US. Maybe it's to do with other channels having first rights - but programmes like The Walking Dead would get better audiences shown a day after instead of 8 months later.

Long gone are the big ratings of Lost and Desperate Housewives, but these shows performed well when broadcast close enough to the US Showings.

There's very little live music, no live stand up comedies, nothing about movies previews and cars. These could be things that maybe their target audience would like.

Sport rights will be tricky over the next few years, with Sky, Virgin and Eir taking an interest in all of them. Losing 6 Nations for 3 years is a huge loss.

Yes, another problem is with the start times. Most don't seem to happen until nearly 5 minutes past the start time. This can lead to recording clashes or the end of programmes being cut off. Honestly, it's been going on for years.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Sport rights will be tricky over the next few years, with Sky, Virgin and Eir taking an interest in all of them. Losing 6 Nations for 3 years is a huge loss.

I think Eir have really shot themselves in the foot as far as local sport is concerned by not being available on Virgin, I also think that move rules out Eir providing an FTA channel.

It will be interesting to see if TV3 do take more sporting rights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

pad e wrote: »
    Yes, another problem is with the start times. Most don't seem to happen until nearly 5 minutes past the start time. This can lead to recording clashes or the end of programmes being cut off. Honestly, it's been going on for years.

They're not allowed sell enough advertising minutes to fill out an hour for most US programmes. RTE sells an average of 6 minutes of adverts per hour, a US "hour" is now about 42 minutes for most network shows. They'd have to run 12 minutes of promos to give you that clock face schedule you want. That'd just cause other complaints.

icdg wrote: »
    They're not allowed sell enough advertising minutes to fill out an hour for most US programmes. RTE sells an average of 6 minutes of adverts per hour, a US "hour" is now about 42 minutes for most network shows. They'd have to run 12 minutes of promos to give you that clock face schedule you want. That'd just cause other complaints.

6 on average with a max of 9 per hour. Which really negates any effect RTÉ would have on the ad market if it replaced RTÉjr with a slot that can sell ads.

They could run NewsFeed year round rather than taking a break for the summer months.

They'd have to run 12 minutes of promos to give you that clock face schedule you want. That'd just cause other complaints.

I hardly think it's unreasonable to have a programme that's listed to start at 7pm actually start at 7pm, not 7:05pm. Most other broadcasters can manage to do it, so why not RTÉ? If they have to show a few extra promos in each ad break then I don't see the problem with that. If it means the first 5 minutes of a recording doesn't have to be fast forwarded until you actually get to the start of the programme then I'm all for it.

Good to see them use rte news now for Rio extra coverage, not at a TV but I assume they are still using the tickers and graphics that surround RTÉ NN

No they aren't - in a surprising move they've removed them. A huge but transparent RTE News Now DOG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

No they aren't - in a surprising move they've removed them. A huge but transparent RTE News Now DOG though.

Thank goodness for BBC's eight Olympics channels in HD. Leaves RTÉ in the ha'penny place

It will be the last Summer Olympics the BBC will be offering such a service, because of the Eurosport deal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BailMeOut wrote: »
    sell it off and privatise it.
    And end up with another quality station like TV3 or UTV ?

RTE2 shows foreign films that would never appear on either of them.
    Is there anything on RTE2 that has anything to do with it being 'National Broadcaster'.
    Considering that one of the original aims was show imported programs for parts of the country that couldn't get UK TV that's hardly surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Rte2 show foreign films ? They used to have a token one per week after midnight but i think they stopped that about 7 years ago.

Advertisement