Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you fix RTE 2 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I have noticed from next weeks listings that a good few RTE One shows that aren't exactly youth oriented are bring repeated on RTE 2 in the evening 7.30=9pm slot Nevin Maguire, The Zoo, dragons den, The shelbourne, firefighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have noticed from next weeks listings that a good few RTE One shows that aren't exactly youth oriented are bring repeated on RTE 2 in the evening 7.30=9pm slot Nevin Maguire, The Zoo, dragons den, The shelbourne, firefighters.

been the case on an off for the past few months.

Maybe they should bring back James Bond movies on Wednesday evenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    been the case on an off for the past few months.

As Elmo says it has been the case for a while and do appear in the top 20 rte2 programming

brick man wrote: »
    As Elmo says it has been the case for a while and do appear in the top 20 rte2 programming

I guess American sitcoms and whatever else Bill Malone had on that slot just weren't bringing in the viewers. They need to get rid of those tacky idents asap imo

• Advertisement

I guess American sitcoms and whatever else Bill Malone had on that slot just weren't bringing in the viewers. They need to get rid of those tacky idents asap imo

I haven't seen any of these shows in the top 20. Though 7 to 9 is the soap hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

Elmo wrote: »
    Withdrawn but remains pending !

To refuse the then minister would have had to make a decision, he didn't
    imagne the crying on rte tv and radio if any minister made this decision

Week ending 18/12/16 dragons den got 82000 viewers over 15 on rte 2 number 8 on their top 20 programmes I have seen over the weeks others popping up . Info via medialive

brick man wrote: »
    Week ending 18/12/16 dragons den got 82000 viewers over 15 on rte 2 number 8 on their top 20 programmes I have seen over the weeks others popping up . Info via medialive

Thanks have to say I gave up looking at RTE2s figures.

flutered wrote: »
    imagne the crying on rte tv and radio if any minister made this decision

So basically rather than making any decision the ministers decide not to make a decision for fear of making people at RTE annoyed? in essence no decision means ... NO.

RTE brought a small proposal to Minister Rabbitte to move RTEjr off RTE2 over 4 years ago and it remains withdrawn but pending. what kind of governance is that?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    Thanks have to say I gave up looking at RTE2s figures.

I wonder since Bill Malone left as controller of RTE2 are they refocusing it to a 15 to 44 age group even the xmas schedule is totally different to last year less blockbuster films than last year

I think they should consider showing hollyoaks on rte 2, It would be a better fit than friends reruns imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

From next week they are swapping Neighbours and The Simpsons AGAIN, this is at least the third time they have tried this but they always end up swapping them back after about 3 months

It's crazy when you think about the giant ratings podge and rodge used to get in the mid 00s , now nothing but live sport does the business for them

It's crazy when you think about the giant ratings podge and rodge used to get in the mid 00s , now nothing but live sport does the business for them

RTÉ 2 was a lot better from 2000 to about 2008, just repeats now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

RTE 2 is shown Soccer Republic at 11:30pm on Monday nights.

For those unfamiliar, its a League of Ireland highlights show which isn't cheap to make. They have to send cameras to various grounds around the country, employ commentators plus a studio panel of Peter Collins and 1 or 2 pundits, as well as all the usual studio background staff.

Regardless of your views on the national league, this is a monumental waste of money. Either put the programme on when kids/supporters i.e its target audience can see it or just don't bother with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

RTE 2 is shown Soccer Republic at 11:30pm on Monday nights.

I record the show and watch it when it suits me.
    I've no problem with the time it's on, as we know most of the results as most games have been played the previous Friday.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I've no problem with the time it's on, as we know most of the results as most games have been played the previous Friday.

So it'd make no difference to you or RTÉ if it aired at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would make more sense to run it directly after Against The Head.

Elmo wrote:
    So it'd make no difference to you or RTÉ if it aired at 7pm.

Yes that's correct, being a shift worker I record all programmes I find of interest.

However if I was at home at 7pm, I'd probably find someone else in the house wanting the TV at that time.

The fact that LOI has moved to mostly Friday night football will always be a factor that we would never have a proper highlight show,
    if the games had stayed on Sunday's afternoons we could of had a proper highlight show to watch that evening, with many supporters fresh in the mind for the game, and following the results of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Yes, but, if they put it on around Monday 8pm (since they seem to have given up on comedy ala 2000-2008) the kids might watch it

Fair play and all that but I suspect you`re a fan of the league anyway.
    The whole point of a highlights show was to get new fans, which would mostly be kids.
    Who wont be up at 11:30 on a Monday night.

RTÉ could air League Sunday, soccer republic and against the head at 7 Monday, Wednesday and Thursday taking into account champions league on Tuesday.

They could repeat each at 8 on News Now.

They could repeat each The following Saturday morning on RTÉ One or late nights on RTÉ2

RTÉ2 could also air both The works presents... and other voice in prime time.

First run - Prime Time
    Repeats - late nights / news now / daytime

The whole point of a highlights show was to get new fans, which would mostly be kids. Who wont be up at 11:30 on a Monday night.

Granted yes, kids cant watch the show at 11:30pm
    And yes if it could be on at 7 or 8pm would be better for promoting the league, However I dont know how it will be with viewing figures at this prime time.

The same happens with Scottish football with highlights at approx 11pm Sunday or Monday on BBC Scotland.

If it was possibly to repeat Soccer Republic on a Saturday morning at 11am could be a better time for kids also.

Granted yes, kids cant watch the show at 11:30pm
    And yes if it could be on at 7 or 8pm would be better for promoting the league, However I dont know how it will be with viewing figures at this prime time.

The same happens with Scottish football with highlights at approx 11pm Sunday or Monday on BBC Scotland.

If it was possibly to repeat Soccer Republic on a Saturday morning at 11am could be a better time for kids also.

RTÉ 2 had a 4.6% share of the audience none of their Prime Time programmes get high audiences and they are a public service broadcaster so if their audience is low it may as well be with a new Irish show than a repeat of the Big Bang theory.

RTÉ 2 was a lot better from 2000 to about 2008, just repeats now.

I think the N2 era was a golden age for the channel, I think the idents and lack of unique identity of the channel was very poor after the 04 rebrand even tho the channel was still very successful from 2004=2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I bought two Saorview boxes and wish I hadn't bothered. There is literally nothing worth watching. It's not just RTE2 that's the problem.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Elmo wrote:
    RTÉ 2 had a 4.6% share of the audience none of their Prime Time programmes get high audiences and they are a public service broadcaster so if their audience is low it may as well be with a new Irish show than a repeat of the Big Bang theory.

It not up to RTE to promote LOI, If RTE run soccer Republic at 7 or 8pm and find that its viewing numbers are halved at that time, well that may also affect RTE's advertising funding.
    Yes for the popularity of the league it would be great, but it may not suit the bean counters in RTE.

It not up to RTE to promote LOI, If RTE run soccer Republic at 7 or 8pm and find that its viewing numbers are halved at that time, well that may also affect RTE's advertising funding.
    Yes for the popularity of the league it would be great, but it may not suit the bean counters in RTE.

So RTÉ2 is losing audiences with repeats but putting new Irish programming on during prime time (Other Voice) could diminish their advertising revenue further though there is no proof of this happening and in any case a 4.6% share might be defended with the use of public service broadcasts such as supporting LoI and Other Voices. They'd save money axing both shows.

• Advertisement

So RTÉ2 is losing audiences with repeats but putting new Irish programming on during prime time (Other Voice) could diminish their advertising revenue further though there is no proof of this happening and in any case a 4.6% share might be defended with the use of public service broadcasts such as supporting LoI and Other Voices. They'd save money axing both shows.

They wouldn't save money axing live LOI. A condition of showing the senior international teams games is they also show LOI games. Both come as a package so they`d lose a hell of a lot.
    As for Other Voices, its good to showcase some non main stream acts, particularly Irish ones.
    Far more arguments for holding on to both programmes than for getting rid of them .

Advertisement