Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you fix RTE 2 ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No, it's not - UEFA now sell the European Qualifiers rights and couldn't care less whether RTÉ show the League of Ireland or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

icdg wrote: »
    No, it's not - UEFA now sell the European Qualifiers rights and couldn't care less whether RTÉ show the League of Ireland or not.

Nope, the FAI choose their domestic broadcaster. The FAI get a set share of the UEFA TV rights. I believe that's where your confusion is arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am not suggesting that RTÉ2 ax either Other Voices or Soccer Republic (or their future replacements).

I am saying that it makes no sense to broadcast both shows after 11pm when so much of RTÉ2's prime time schedule is taken up with repeats.

While it may not be within RTÉ2's remit to promote LoI, it is with in its remit to at the very least support Irish sport and at the very most support and promote RTÉ produced programmes.

If the audience share is to remain at 5% or lower then RTÉ2 must make in roads to provide a public service, rather than to ape 3e, be3, e4, sky1 and so on.

There is no reason for RTE2 to repeat a programme during prime time 6pm to 11pm. (note this is between both home produced and imports, if RTE2 dropped the Australian soaps they would still have enough programming to support no repeats on RTÉ2 from 6 to 11)

RTE2's sport review/news programmes should repeat on RTÉ News Now.

The question is how would you improve RTÉ2? The channel needs a drastic overhaul. The re-brand of the channel as RTÉ TWO from N2 failed, much of the overhaul of both the N2 and Network 2 era's reflected the changes in audience (satellite and cable). RTÉ2 and RTÉ TWO both failed to see future changes (on demand). RTÉ TWO was help by the N2 for its first few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Elmo wrote: »
    I am not suggesting that RTÉ2 ax either Other Voices or Soccer Republic (or their future replacements).

I am saying that it makes no sense to broadcast both shows after 11pm when so much of RTÉ2's prime time schedule is taken up with repeats.

While it may not be within RTÉ2's remit to promote LoI, it is with in its remit to at the very least support Irish sport and at the very most support and promote RTÉ produced programmes.

If the audience share is to remain at 5% or lower then RTÉ2 must make in roads to provide a public service, rather than to ape 3e, be3, e4, sky1 and so on.

There is no reason for RTE2 to repeat a programme during prime time 6pm to 11pm. (note this is between both home produced and imports, if RTE2 dropped the Australian soaps they would still have enough programming to support no repeats on RTÉ2 from 6 to 11)

RTE2's sport review/news programmes should repeat on RTÉ News Now.

The question is how would you improve RTÉ2? The channel needs a drastic overhaul. The re-brand of the channel as RTÉ TWO from N2 failed, much of the overhaul of both the N2 and Network 2 era's reflected the changes in audience (satellite and cable). RTÉ2 and RTÉ TWO both failed to see future changes (on demand). RTÉ TWO was help by the N2 for its first few years.

I completely agree with you on the first point.
    However, as a state broadcaster it is smack in the middle of RTE`s remit to promote Irish music and marginal sport. In fact as the state broadcaster and recipients of public money through state grants and the TV license fee they have an obligation to provide public service programing.

In fact as the state broadcaster and recipients of public money through state grants and the TV license fee they have an obligation to provide public service programing.

The question is at what time? Take for example the sound and vision fund.

All programming supported by the sound and vision fund must air between 6pm and 11pm on TV. (Children's TV is during between 3pm and 7pm or during peak for children.)

On radio this was original during peak hours 7am to 7pm but with much lobbying from radio stations it was moved up to 8pm and afaik the BAI wanted to push it to 9pm and further out for Children's and Irish Language programming on Radio. Though the BAI wouldn't insist that Irish TV channels carry subtitles during foreign produced programming, they would not be genre specific!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Also, there seems little point in showing Soccer Republic 48 hrs after most fans would know the result! They may not want to compete with the Late Late, but 10 p.m. on Friday would seem the ideal slot for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Nope, the FAI choose their domestic broadcaster. The FAI get a set share of the UEFA TV rights. I believe that's where your confusion is arising.

Nope, all changed back in 2013, all European qualifier media rights are now centralised and UEFA selects the broadcaster with the national association receiving a percentage from the centralised pool.

The first centralised agreement covered the Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 qualifiers with the FAI receiving an estimated €10m per annum over the 4 years of the agreement. RTÉ won the TV rights to Ireland's home and away qualifiers for 2016 and 2018 via the EBU. RTÉ and 29 other national broadcasters were part of an umbrella agreement with the EBU who negotiated with UEFA on their behalf.

So successful was the project that the member associations renewed the centralised agreement for the next qualifier cycle, 2018-2022, the following year (2014). The UEFA tender process for this period began back in July 2015 with the UK rights being announced last month. The Irish rights haven't gone to tender yet.

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/02/26/64/82/2266482_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Also, there seems little point in showing Soccer Republic 48 hrs after most fans would know the result! They may not want to compete with the Late Late, but 10 p.m. on Friday would seem the ideal slot for the show.

10pm could possibly be to early, giving people a chance to get home from games, we could be looking after 11pm and repeated Saturday morning for kids would work well

FRIENDO wrote: »
    10pm could possibly be to early, giving people a chance to get home from games, we could be looking after 11pm and repeated Saturday morning for kids would work well

It doesn't really matter its a review show, people will tune into get the view from the panel. Anyway the point is more about the fact that RTÉ2 repeats programming adnasum during prime time but airs many first runs after 11pm.

You can't say the same for Other Voices.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not confused at all. Don't take my word for it, take UEFAs....

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/competitions/Marketing/01/94/02/93/1940293_DOWNLOAD.pdf

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/02/26/64/82/2266482_DOWNLOAD.pdf

And RTE's:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2013/0410/380747-rte-secures-euro-2016-world-cup-2018-rights/

You will see that RTÉ secured the rights as part of a UEFA-EBU deal

The only senior men's internationals the FAI now sell TV rights to are home friendlies, which Eir Sport and not RTE has the rights to. After next year's World Cup there will be very few remaining because of the Nations League.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    It doesn't really matter its a review show, people will tune into get the view from the panel. Anyway the point is more about the fact that RTÉ2 repeats programming adnasum during prime time but airs many first runs after 11pm.

Maybe the public do not have an appetite for an LOI highlight programs.

This Monday is the first episode of the season starting at 23:15.
    It doesn't even get a mention in the Spotlight section of the Saorview app.

And yes I think you are right, it is a review show as it generally also covers upcoming games and at times also jumps back into Rte archives, along with reviews of Irish players playing abroad.

I think what would be nice along with Soccer Republic being repeated at a more child friendly time during the week, is a new dedicated Irish LOI dedicated highlight show on Friday nights, possibly after the late late show and repeated either Saturday or Sunday morning.

We possibly need a new RTE channel to be added to the lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

The schedule is all over the place. Mainly re-runs or terrible reality TV on from 7 to 9 on weekdays. I don't even bother to check if there is anything on anymore because there never is. Then there are some decent shows on at strange times in the middle of the night. I can never remember the schedule being as poor.

They need to go back to basics like the old N2 schedule. Monday was comedy night, Tuesday was ladies night - desperate housewives and grey's anatomy, Wednesday was movie night, etc. There was a clear structure and target audience. The likes of Mock the Week, Live at the Opollo, Gotham, Parks and Recreation are on after midnight when they will draw in an audience and probably cost more than some of the other crap.

Rte have dropped the ball in terms of sport. Could use live sport/panel shows to fill out the schedule. A show like Second Captains was hugely successful and could have been expanded and given more time to develop and there were a lot of options on how to grow it. Outside of actually showing the games the GAA coverage is chronic. League Sunday shows extended highlights of the games shown on TV and a couple minutes of other games in the top division. All the players live in the country so there is a major opportunity to get them involved in a proper magazine style highlights show especially during the Championship. Since Ryle Nugent took over the sports department the coverage has steadily gotten worse for all sports in terms of how much live sport is being shown and how little variety there is in terms of magazine/discussion type shows.

We possibly need a new RTE channel to be added to the lineup?

A repeat channel would be fine if RTE were able to run RTE2 properly. So I would be against a 5th RTE channel (I include RTEjr and News Now).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    A repeat channel would be fine if RTE were able to run RTE2 properly. So I would be against a 5th RTE channel (I include RTEjr and News Now).

I think getting a proper news now schedule with adverts and removing junior's programmes from RTE2 from 9am to 1.30 pm Monday to Friday which would allow adverts so they could invest that money for peaktime viewing would be a start. that said the repeats of dragons den etc seem to get better viewing figures than any of those American sitcoms it replaced . Since bill Malone left as controller of RTE2 it does appear that its more a 15 to 44 age group its aiming at or is it just me

On a positive side I'm looking forward to RTE2 this week

Tonight: Allianz League Sunday
    Tomorrow: Soccer Republic
    Tuesday: Homeland
    Friday: Live Rovers V Bohs KO 19:30, followed by movie Fool's Gold

Be honest, I couldn't ask for much more, and hopefully Bohs get a win :)

On a positive side I'm looking forward to RTE2 this week

Tonight: Allianz League Sunday
    Tomorrow: Soccer Republic
    Tuesday: Homeland
    Friday: Live Rovers V Bohs KO 19:30, followed by movie Fool's Gold

Be honest, I couldn't ask for much more, and hopefully Bohs get a win :)

On the negative side :)

Monday - Friday
    6 - 7 Soap Repeats
    7pm Repeats of Dragon's Den, TBBT, Donal Cooks, Stetsons and Stilettos, DWTS
    8pm Repeats of Rachel Allen, The Zoo, DWTS,
    9pm Repeats of Father Ted, DWTS

On the plus side this week isn't as filled with as many repeats and they have Indoor Athletics on Friday Night.

Also not sure if episodes Masterchef or Top Gear have aired on RTE2 before.

Have they lost The Simpsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

As from recently; The Simpsons would now be scheduled from 5:30pm to 6pm Mondays to Fridays.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that highlights of The Oscars with Jimmy Kimmel will be on this Monday night at 9:30pm.

Elmo wrote:
    Have they lost The Simpsons?

it's moved to 5.30 pm weekdays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

On the negative side :)

Monday - Friday
    6 - 7 Soap Repeats
    7pm Repeats of Dragon's Den, TBBT, Donal Cooks, Stetsons and Stilettos, DWTS
    8pm Repeats of Rachel Allen, The Zoo, DWTS,
    9pm Repeats of Father Ted, DWTS

Apart from TBBT, all of those 7pm and 8pm shows should be on RTE1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

It's such a pity that no-one in charge of RTE 2 in recent years has had any creativity at all. Years ago they used to do theme weekends, Horror weekends, Hitchcock weekends, Bond weekends etc etc... why can't they do something like that again ? They don't even do anything for Halloween anymore ffs.

• Advertisement

brick man wrote: »
    it's moved to 5.30 pm weekdays

No checked listings it's not on at 5:30 either

It's on at 17:30 Mon - Thurs this week per EPG.

Elmo wrote:
    No checked listings it's not on at 5:30 either

the kids have it on here on RTE2 and its been that way a few weeks now

brick man wrote: »
    the kids have it on here on RTE2 and its been that way a few weeks now

Sorry yes my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Bank Holiday Monday on RTE2 next week, and they have the 1965 film The Great Race on at 11:45am, followed by Racing From Fairyhouse at 2:30pm.

Although I understand that Racing stays on RTE2 (especially with it being the Irish Grand National), is it really necessary to have a film which is 52 years old on what is supposed to be a "youth channel"?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Bank Holiday Monday on RTE2 next week, and they have the 1965 film The Great Race on at 11:45am, followed by Racing From Fairyhouse at 2:30pm.

Although I understand that Racing stays on RTE2 (especially with it being the Irish Grand National), is it really necessary to have a film which is 52 years old on what is supposed to be a "youth channel"?

Since Bill Malone left they have backed away from the youth format, Have you seen what they are showing at 11 on Easter Saturday Night ? MASS

Since Bill Malone left they have backed away from the youth format, Have you seen what they are showing at 11 on Easter Saturday Night ? MASS

that is public service broadcasting I suppose . I agree they are targeting a broader audience now alright I never agreed with targeting a narrow age base . the repeats of home produced between 7 and 9 pm is getting for some programmes more of an audience than what was on before ie cheap and cheerful comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The scheduling of All round to Ms Brown, The Ray Darcy Show & Brendan O'Connors Cutting Edge on RTE One is the reason why Mass is being shown on RTE 2.

Having Mass on RTE would cater for a much older audience. It should be logical to have it shown on RTE One. Religious programmes are completely non existent on RTE 2 because it's a channel that caters for young people with a mix of sport, drama & entertainment programming.

They haven't Bill Malone had many non yuff even MASS at Xmas one year.

He commissioned yuff progs about 1 a week.

• Advertisement

They haven't Bill Malone had many non yuff even MASS at Xmas one year.

He commissioned yuff progs about 1 a week.

There has been an obvious change in the weekday 7/9pm slot

Advertisement