Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you fix RTE 2 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There has been an obvious change in the weekday 7/9pm slot

There has but IMO it happened just as he was leaving rather than after he left. his 7 to 9 was only different by the use of more US repeats than those of RTE ONE repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,120 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Having Mass on RTE would cater for a much older audience. It should be logical to have it shown on RTE One. Religious programmes are completely non existent on RTE 2 because it's a channel that caters for young people with a mix of sport, drama & entertainment programming.

Religious programmes should be non-existent on any licence fee funded channel.

The promotion of religion using state funds is prohibited by the Constitution.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

When was the last time NewsFeed was on RTÉ2? Has it been axed?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

I don't think it has been on since last year before Christmas, and since start of May no 11pm news bulletin on News Now . To put it all in context there is no live tv news bulletin until 10am weekday morning's on news now and no live news after nine o clock news . Kevin Bakhurst when he was with RTE cut news on 2 from half hour programme to 10 minutes . Then in 2014 it moved to News Now now i have no problem with that but i think its disgraceful that A; no current affairs at all on RTE2 and B; that there is now such a lack on tv News bulletins early morning and late night given licence fee part funds RTE . I intend to Email complaint over same

edit/ Just checked their tweet account seems like last broadcast was Dec 21st 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Daily from 4:40-5:30pm next week, a military/crime drama series called Scorpion is on RTE2.

This must be the first in a long time that they've gone for something other than the teen/kid market at this time.

Deadly 60 on before it, and The Simpsons after it, so the schedule seems same after that.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Daily from 4:40-5:30pm next week, a military/crime drama series called Scorpion is on RTE2.

This must be the first in a long time that they've gone for something other than the teen/kid market at this time.

Deadly 60 on before it, and The Simpsons after it, so the schedule seems same after that.

Slowly ditching TRTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

iseegirls wrote: »

Good to have a change from Sabrina the teenage witch

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are spending good licence payers money on buying US shows never before seen on Irish FTA tv yet they show these in the graveyard shift and show repeats of brutal Irish shows a 2nd and 3rd time at prime time instead, the mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sloopys

A far simpler approach would be to shift all home produced programming to RTÉ One and move all sports and imports to RTÉ2.

RTÉ One could then be free to air on satellite and online worldwide, RTÉ2 could then split into a number of red button streams to cover multiple sports events and other programming. This could be the way of the future where RTÉ becomes a portal for programming rather than simply two linear channels.

Sloopys wrote: »
    A far simpler approach would be to shift all home produced programming to RTÉ One and move all sports and imports to RTÉ2.

I don't think those Vogue "documentaries", First Dates, Don't Tell The Bride, Reality Bites would fit in with RTE1's audience.

Imports are dying in terms of ratings. I can watch a new series online a few hours after its broadcast in America with zero add breaks. The Walking Dead is on RTE2 in the nights - broadcast about 7 months since it first aired. Can't see how they're getting value for money there. RTE should just focus on home produced and sports and live shows.

• Advertisement

There isn't enough programming and while you might get programming as it goes out in the states not everyone is going to do that.

RTÉ2 should regain focus on live programming but also avoid prime time repeats and expand their home produced programming beyond reality bites type docs.

Newsfeed was dropped from RTÉ 2 at the beginning of the year. RTÉ are currently reviewing the news output on the channel and for some reason dropping 4 minutes of news saves massive amounts of money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ2 have now included a refreshed promo slide for their scheduled programmes.

I saw it after the weather forecast had finished on RTÉ One HD.

It has a big green rectangular box covering about 2/3rd's of the screen. It was for a new drama series going on later in the week.

It looked better from their previous efforts for promoting their programmes. The text is very big for the eyes though.

Elmo wrote:
    Newsfeed was dropped from RTÉ 2 at the beginning of the year. RTÉ are currently reviewing the news output on the channel and for some reason dropping 4 minutes of news saves massive amounts of money!!!

They must be reviewing news output full stop as no live news programming after 9pm on any channel . Will News Now get a much needed kiss of life this autumn I wonder

RTÉ2 have now included a refreshed promo slide for their scheduled programmes.

A new set of idents would be welcome as well

brick man wrote: »
    Elmo wrote:

They must be reviewing news output full stop as no live news programming after 9pm on any channel . Will News Now get a much needed kiss of life this autumn I wonder

Nuacht RTÉ is to become Nuacht TG4 at RTÉ

No nine news?

Elmo wrote:
    Nuacht RTÉ is to become Nuacht TG4 at RTÉ

Elmo wrote:
    No nine news?

There is but that's it no other news programme after that , the 11 pm bulletin on News Now was stopped in May . This is a far cry from its 5 year strategy in which it said that live Bulletins between 7am and Midnight and that News Now would become the driving force of a 24 hr news cycle.
    Where did u hear Nuacht RTE is changing to Nuacht TG4 at RTE ?

Turaisc.ie had a report on it during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Personally rte 2 and 2 FM should be closed. The markets they serve are better served by the private sector. Rte should be scaled back to one TV channel and 1 radio station and focus on actual public service broadcasting. Not paying for us sitcoms and repeating rte shows that have been repeated more times than is ever useful

I think they have really given up. They just do as they have always done with no thought. They plan to air Budget 2017 when they have RTÉ ONE, News Now and Oireachtas TV. Doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Elmo wrote: »
    I think they have really given up. They just do as they have always done with no thought. They plan to air Budget 2017 when they have RTÉ ONE, News Now and Oireachtas TV. Doesn't make any sense.

The Budget coverage has to simulcast with News Now for viewers outside of Ireland.

But I agree with you about RTÉ2 actually showing the reaction after the Budget speech.

Oireachtas TV is more than adequate for this purpose since it is on nearly every TV provider here bar Saorsat.

Elmo wrote: »

The Budget coverage has to simulcast with News Now for viewers outside of Ireland.

But I agree with you about RTÉ2 actually showing the reaction after the Budget speech.

Oireachtas TV is more than adequate for this purpose since it is on nearly every TV provider here bar Saorsat.

Viewers outside of Ireland can watch SixOne on the live RTÉ ONE feed. So that's not a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

vkid wrote: »
    Personally rte 2 and 2 FM should be closed. The markets they serve are better served by the private sector. Rte should be scaled back to one TV channel and 1 radio station and focus on actual public service broadcasting. Not paying for us sitcoms and repeating rte shows that have been repeated more times than is ever useful
    You don't close channels on the dial/epg which have monetary value purely because they exist and have been stored. You sell them off to private operators for however much you can get for them.
    Radio station and TV slots on the EPG/dial are worth millions of euro each with no tangible asset tied up in the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Originally Posted by vkid View Post
    Personally rte 2 and 2 FM should be closed. The markets they serve are better served by the private sector. Rte should be scaled back to one TV channel and 1 radio station and focus on actual public service broadcasting. Not paying for us sitcoms and repeating rte shows that have been repeated more times than is ever useful.

Virgin Media Enterprises Ireland (TV3).All they are is Standard Definition version of ITV 1&2 on Soarview. That's home produced programming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Totally agree, no need whatsoever for the budget speeches to be on rte 2 anymore and since when do they last for 5 hours ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Will rte 2 ignore Halloween again this year? It's unbelievable that the youth channel has ignored Halloween for years.. fair play to 3e who make a little effort normally

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Tonight on RTE 2 from 7.30 to 9.30 there is repeats of RTE1 shows Lords and Lathels and Ireland Fittest Family. It's a bit of a joke and pathetic. I'd rather the repeats of Friends, at least there is over 200 episodes of it. This is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

They should bring back James bond movies on Wednesday evenings and rare cult movies on Friday nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The thing that really bugs me about RTE 2 are the endless import shows on around 1am or 2am, most of which are already on Free to air UK channels. Brooklyn 9 9 is on at 2:20 tonight.

How much of their budget is wasted on this pointless scheduling? I remember a TV3 or TG4 director a few years ago revealing that RTE often outbid them for these types of shows, just to stop the competition from taking them, even if they had no plans to show them at anything approaching prime time.

Seems some things never change. Just as well the tv license is so chea.....oh yeah :(

• Advertisement

A look back at when RTE2 (then Network 2) was at the top of their game - around 1999.

1st November 1999 - Monday was always the place to go to for comedy
    2Phat,Top 30 Hits, @last tv, Scare At Bedtime With Podge And Rodge, Don't Feed The Gondolas and mixed in with hit American shows like Friends, Party Of Five, That 70s Show

There'd be themed blocked programming after 11 that week:
    Spaced Out: First Wave, V, Earth: Final Conflict
    The Music Zone: Music Express, No Disco, 2TV Classics, Chris De Burgh: Beautiful Dreams Live, Pop Profiles

Other programmes throughout the week include 2TV, The Movie Show, The Soccer Show, Robbie Williams At Slane, Rugby World Cup, later with john kelly, Rapid, Later with Finlay and Dunlop, Clare McKeon and Champions League on 2 nights.

Contrast to todays listings and such a huge difference

Advertisement