Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They will make a complete mess of it and I will be gutted if that is the case in what is my all time favourite character. The cast is just ridiculous. Its like the NAACP did the casting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They will make a complete mess of it and I will be gutted if that is the case in what is my all time favourite character. The cast is just ridiculous. Its like the NAACP did the casting.

Spidey is also my all time favourite and we've been very unlucky films wise. Spider-man 2 I really enjoyed, because they finally got some things right. Spider-man 3 was a "lets see how many action figures we can sell in the next 2 hours".

My expectations are low for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My expectations are slightly higher for this one. Disney/Marvel are on board so it will probably be decent at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The fact Marvel have a hand in it now gives me hope, they know how to make a superhero movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

He's from Queens... Literally the most culturally diverse place on the planet; it would be insane for all his friends to be white. And who in fcuk cares what colour Spider-Man's friends are?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Marvel Studios have gotten their casting pretty spot on for 8 years now, I think we'll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We got one good spider man film out of 5 attempts by Sony, they ballsed up the franchise so badly they relinquished creative control back to Marvel, who were more than happy to get their flagship hero back in the nest. They know what theyre doing, and his small cameo in Civil War showed plenty of promise; so what's the worry here? Casting ethnicities? Ah come on. Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I really hope we won't have to sit through the same origin story yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Well I assume it's going to take place in the aftermath of Civil War, so he's already Spidey at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah Tony Stark is in the movie so at worst we might get a flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He's from Queens... Literally the most culturally diverse place on the planet; it would be insane for all his friends to be white. And who in fcuk cares what colour Spider-Man's friends are?!?

Hardly insane, Queens is far from some racial utopia. That said I don't really care about them hiring whatever ethnicity, not really relevant to the character and as you say it is based in queens. Only example of that I can think of Idris Elba as Heimdall.

Hardly insane, Queens is far from some racial utopia. That said I don't really care about them hiring whatever ethnicity, not really relevant to the character and as you say it is based in queens. Only example of that I can think of Idris Elba as Heimdall.

It'd be crazy to assert that a kid going to public school in Queens only has white friends, is what I'm saying.

• You know what.

Let's just make him black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You know what.

Let's just make him black.

Well the new Spider-man is Latino.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Aaaaand I'm out, I see the film has breached my '3 villain rule', which has stood hard and fast since ‘Batman and Robin’. You just know a film is gonna screw the pooch when it attempts to divide it's screen time between too many super villains and their machinations, which inevitably leaves little or no room for plot or character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Part of the agreement with Sony was leaked, they'd separate requirements for both spiderman and peter parker; among other things they're both male and straight with Peter having to be white.

Personal preference is that if the actor was in costume at comic con and you couldn't tell who they're meant to be it's being done wrong.

Don't mind much about Mary Jane, her look is closer to the character original than you'd think and considering we've already had a more traditional MJ so relatively recently this is fine. Still rather her have the red hair, not sure if they've got an on set picture show her yet.

Liz has been black before so that's not new, she was black in Sony last animated Spider man which was very popular and there was a lot of anger when Disney/marvel took got TV animated rights back.

Only 2 I actively dislike are for Flash thompson and betty brant.
    syklops wrote: »
    Well the new Spider-man is Latino.

He's half, and half black.

And also getting a lot of hate from SWJ right now for how he's being written and by who (Bendis) .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

A black spiderman?

It'd be crazy to assert that a kid going to public school in Queens only has white friends, is what I'm saying.

I think it's crazier if he has no white friends though! I mean people do tend to stick to their own, especially in a racially divided country like the states. It does seem like they're trying to do 'one of every kind' just for the sake of it. Again I don't have a big problem with it, I'm not a Spider-Man fan and don't care much about the characters so I'll happily see this but it still does look like they're pandering a bit.

He doesn't look very half anything to me ..

maxresdefault.jpg

Have they recast him again??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pixelburp wrote: »
    We got one good spider man film out of 5 attempts by Sony, they ballsed up the franchise so badly they relinquished creative control back to Marvel, who were more than happy to get their flagship hero back in the nest. They know what theyre doing, and his small cameo in Civil War showed plenty of promise; so what's the worry here? Casting ethnicities? Ah come on. Lord.

speaking of which people should give a listen to this vid off "midnights edge"

its one of three.

sweet jesus im amazed raimi didnt shoot someone with all the interference on the franchise. sony REALLY fuked these up trying to make a cash cow out of em. particularly pascall - who went on to bugger up ghostbusters.

seems as well that the price for spidey in the MCU is sony get to use Cap in a few of their films. getting stark was probably a dream come true for em too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A black spiderman?

wasnt that Venom ? :)

I think it's crazier if he has no white friends though! I mean people do tend to stick to their own, especially in a racially divided country like the states. It does seem like they're trying to do 'one of every kind' just for the sake of it. Again I don't have a big problem with it, I'm not a Spider-Man fan and don't care much about the characters so I'll happily see this but it still does look like they're pandering a bit.

It hasn't been said anywhere that he doesn't have white friends; just that he has friends from other ethnicities. In a Queens school, white kids would probably number just under 50% of the classroom so defo fair to say he'd have plenty of white friends...

I'm going on a tangent here so I'm actually gonna pull it back to why the FCUK would anyone care if Peter Parker's friends are black/Asian/Hispanic/purple/whateverthefcuk? Who cares if they're pandering a bit to include ethnic minorities? Surely pandering is a much smaller issue than excluding entire ethnic groups almost entirely? If only pandering was the worst thing going on in the world...

He doesn't look very half anything to me ..

Have they recast him again??

Not peter parker

6EcdNGl.jpg

It hasn't been said anywhere that he doesn't have white friends; just that he has friends from other ethnicities. In a Queens school, white kids would probably number just under 50% of the classroom so defo fair to say he'd have plenty of white friends...

I'm going on a tangent here so I'm actually gonna pull it back to why the FCUK would anyone care if Peter Parker's friends are black/Asian/Hispanic/purple/whateverthefcuk? Who cares if they're pandering a bit to include ethnic minorities? Surely pandering is a much smaller issue than excluding entire ethnic groups almost entirely? If only pandering was the worst thing going on in the world...

Well I think it would be better if these underrepresented ethnicities were actually given their own well written characters in Hollywood as opposed to giving them small generally comic relief sidekick roles. Pandering towards those groups. For me it seems a little belittling but maybe that's just me and the way I look at it, As you say we're on a tangent and nothing to do with the movie so probably for another thread.

Well I think it would be better if these underrepresented ethnicities were actually given their own well written characters in Hollywood as opposed to giving them small generally comic relief sidekick roles. Pandering towards those groups. For me it seems a little belittling but maybe that's just me and the way I look at it, As you say we're on a tangent and nothing to do with the movie so probably for another thread.

Star trek made sulu gay in the reboot, and their reasoning is understandable. An existing character means more, he's not disposable.

That being said, Tony Revolori playing flash is stupid.

tony-revolori-flash-thompson-191944-640x320.jpg

The thing is, there's nothing explicitly white about most of them. They were just drawn white because they were drawn by white guys. So changing their ethnicity shouldn't really matter at all. If their character called, for specific reasons, for them to be of a certain race, that's a different story (eg Luke Cage must be black, Danny Rand must be white). But in general, they're not.

Also, this isn't a new thing and these aren't "small generally comic relief sidekick roles". To name a few:

Michael Clarke Duncan, a black man, played Kingpin, who is white in the comics.
    Dean Cain, a half-Asian man, played Superman, who is white in the comics.
    Vondie Curtis-Hall, a black man, played Ben Urich, who is white in the comics.
    Chloe Bennet, a half-Asian woman, played Quake, who is white in the comics.
    Samuel L. Jackson, a black man, played Nick Fury, who is white in the comics - except the Ultimate comics, in which Marvel modelled Fury on Jackson himself.

There's plenty more examples too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Stick to their own? I know what you're getting at but it's a poor choice of words.

I think if this movie sends a message that you don't have to stick your own, that's fine with me. Spider-Man is still a role model for kids and not just white kids so the more diverse the world is the more reflective of society it is. Characters were all white in the comics because they were written in the 60s.

• Varik wrote: »
    Not peter parker

6EcdNGl.jpg

Oh, right. Thought we were talking about the movie incarnation.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Stick to their own? I know what you're getting at but it's a poor choice of words.

I think if this movie sends a message that you don't have to stick your own, that's fine with me. Spider-Man is still a role model for kids and not just white kids so the more diverse the world is the more reflective of society it is. Characters were all white in the comics because they were written in the 60s.

Ah I don't mean it in a bad way, it's just what I've witness when I lived in America, maybe could've worded it better. Anyway, there hasn't even been a proper trailer, these characters could all be tremendously written or there could be a lot of token ethnicities that feel like they've thrown in, either way I'm still going to see the movie so I don't care that much. Was just making the point that it might look a little artificial, which could be a negative. Anyway we don't know anything about it and it's all really just speculation so let's move on :)

Advertisement