Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Bacchus wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057742881

Is it actually separate from the MCU? God I hope so, Sony poisoned Spidey in the end, they need to stay away from the MCU.

Yes its separate. Sony's Venom is an R rated stand alone deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

quazzy wrote: »

Awww jeezz, They gave Spiderman's suit an Iron Man 'Jarvis'?
    Seriously, Eff that.
    Spiderman is at heart about a teen relying on his wits and wits alone to navigate a very adult world in which he's a superhero. Now he has a billionaire mentor and 'Siri combat satnav', drones and auto deploying parachutes (I'm sure Mattel is delighted). Just when I thought sombody actually understood the character they were putting on screen and gave me some hope we'd finally see a really good Spiderman movie.... they dun fukked it all up.
    I was hoping that it would be more of a standalone like Deadpool or Guardians but now it's just looking like yet another two hour trailer for a bloody MCU Avengers fest starring Iron Man Jr.. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

conorhal wrote:
    Awww jeezz, They gave Spiderman's suit an Iron Man 'Jarvis'? Seriously, Eff that. Spiderman is at heart about a teen relying on his wits and wits alone to navigate a very adult world in which he's a superhero. Now he has a billionaire mentor and 'Siri combat satnav', drones and auto deploying parachutes (I'm sure Mattel is delighted). Just when I thought sombody actually understood the character they were putting on screen and gave me some hope we'd finally see a really good Spiderman movie.... they dun fukked it all up. I was hoping that it would be more of a standalone like Deadpool or Guardians but now it's just looking like yet another two hour trailer for a bloody MCU Avengers fest starring Iron Man Jr.. Sigh.
    If you've seen the trailer that came out before this you'll know that the suit and Spider-Man's reliance on it is a pretty important piece of the overall narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

gotta admit.

i smiled a the parachute bit.

had that toy as a kid.

:D

dalabfoxyaaft2vpmsib.jpg

It's a bad poster (Sony are doing the marketing no surprise) but I would put real money on Zendaya 100% being on Mary Jane now, even though she said she wasn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That is a horrendous poster. Like, eye gougingly terrible. Nobody should be proud of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Wish I hadn't watched the latest trailer. My own fault. Looks great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

One of the trailers is showing before Wonder Woman in cineworld. It's like 3D to the max! Could just be the trailer.. I remember being similarly impressed by the 3D used in cineworld for the trailer for Man of Steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kevin Feige's poker face told a thousand words none of them good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Very disappointed in that. The mess that is 'Sony' having ANY sort of influence on the MCU is just awful. This could very well be what takes the steam out of the MCU.

Amy does not come off as likable at all, nor interested in the characters. She is literally doing a "Mr. Burns" with her hands as she teases the thought of Tom Holland in the Venom movie. Telling too that she admires what MCU have done that fans "HAVE TO" watch each movie to follow the story.... like they might "HAVE TO" watch Sony's Venom as part of that.

There were plenty calling Fox a mess 18 months ago and here we are Logan and Deadpool later. Two films that absolutely would not have come out in the MCU. I'll give Sony the benefit of the doubt until I see Venom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

There were plenty calling Fox a mess 18 months ago and here we are Logan and Deadpool later. Two films that absolutely would not have come out in the MCU. I'll give Sony the benefit of the doubt until I see Venom.

I'd liken Fox more to a yo yo situation. Before Fantastic 4 you had Days of Future Past. After it you had Deadpool. They can get it spot on and woefully wrong.

I'm happy that Pascal has said this tbh. I'm sure Feige had to a) agree to it and b) having an older-than-Peter Eddie Brock is true to the source.

Only problem is that Brock's transformation into Venom will need a fairly significantly tweaked origin to bring it in sync with what the MCU is doing.

Yeh but didn't Apocalypse form the filling of that sandwich?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yeh but didn't Apocalypse form the filling of that sandwich?

It did. I didn't say they were on a 100% strike rate just that they put out 2 of the better Comic book movies from the last 18 months. 2 movies that wouldn't have made it onto the screen under Disney. I'm keeping an open mind is all.

It did. I didn't say they were on a 100% strike rate just that they put out 2 of the better Comic book movies from the last 18 months. 2 movies that wouldn't have made it onto the screen under Disney. I'm keeping an open mind is all.

I'll keep an open mind too but I've a bad feeling about this deal Disney have made with Sony. That interview didn't do anything to help. What was the price Disney paid to get Spiderman back? Hopefully they'll prove me wrong though, that they are a company getting back on track, and they add a fresh take on the MCU.

Bacchus wrote:
    I'll keep an open mind too but I've a bad feeling about this deal Disney have made with Sony. That interview didn't do anything to help. What was the price Disney paid to get Spiderman back? Hopefully they'll prove me wrong though, that they are a company getting back on track, and they add a fresh take on the MCU.

The more I think about this the more crazy it seems that Sony are just allowed make movies set in the MCU w without any Marvel input. If this is the case then I would imagine there will be as minimal crossover as possible so as to allow fans to just disregard them as stand-alones. I doubt they will have any impact on the overall MCU arcs and they will probably be ignored in the Marvel films. Either that or Pascal is talking out her backside.

Considering how strong a position Marvel would have been in when the negotiations happened, I can't see how they would have ended up on the bad end of the deal. It would have been Sony who wanted the deal to happen more so than Marvel.

I think you can be fairly confident that Marvel would have more than enough power to stop anything they really don't like and won't let anything pass that could damage their own universe. They might make a bad film but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I can't honestly imagine how Sony would have walked into discussions with any kind of negotiating clout. It had to have been Marvel dictating terms throughout; I'm sure they really wanted Spider-Man in the MCU, but not at any cost that could potentially damage the MCU. Sony can't buy a hit, no matter how hard they try and there's no way Marvel would let the poison their well.

19274911_722654007917666_1709318344828538256_n.jpg?oh=780592f8d7ea79445412d941cfa0290e&oe=59D9C4DD

I saw this on the way home and my hype has been accelerated.

The presence of Stark in all the posters & promos does give off a mild (mild now!) whiff of desperation in the advertising: an over-eagerness to remind audiences "... no, stick with it, it's got Avengers in it! Look, we got Iron Man! Tony Stark, what a character!".

I can't recall, but Sony still control ... some portion of the Spider-Man production, and I want to say it's the marketing? Or merchandise, right? May be mis-remembering things...

Sony do indeed have control over the marketing, which makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

You have the casual audience who still think of Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield the use of Iron Man is to tell people that this is different and a Marvel film

• Advertisement

Nothing surprising in the reaction for me, Marvel Studios were always going to nail the story of one of their MVPs that they must be absolutely elated to have influence over again.

I expect some of those are probably a little over enthusiastic. It'll probably be a decent 7/8 out of 10 and I'll be happy with that. Really looking forward to it now.

Someone on a different forum posted some unmarked spoilers that I saw. Luckily they're not that big a deal, but I'll spoiler them here just in case.

Glover is the Prowler, and Miles Morales exists in some form.
    Stark is in less than 6 scenes
    Zendaya's role is exactly what we expected.

I expect some of those are probably a little over enthusiastic. It'll probably be a decent 7/8 out of 10 and I'll be happy with that. Really looking forward to it now.

Aye. I do think it will make monster money. Ticks all the boxes.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Aye. I do think it will make monster money. Ticks all the boxes.

I'm liking the fact that there are plenty saying there's surprises to be had. I was annoyed that the trailers seemed totally show the set up and turn in the story in fast forward form.

• Advertisement

The posters keep getting worse!

CxHqw0Ll.jpg

That isn't real is it?

That is the official imax poster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

Yes. Are the marketing department just trolling at this stage?

fluke wrote: »
    Yes. Are the marketing department just trolling at this stage?

Is the marketing in Sony's hands? I wouldn't be surprised. Disney/Marvel may play it a bit safe with the MCU but at least they've avoided monstrosities like that (until now).

Stan Lee appearance towards end..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think almost every early Marvel preview in the past 2-3 years has had similar 'omg best Marvel film yet' reactions. Wouldn't go too much on those, for any film really.

I don't like how the trailers have almost entirely discounted the villains in this. It comes across as a buddy-superhero comedy. I hope they do the villains justice in this, although from recent ones....going back further than recent, I don't hold out much hope. Hope Keaton won't be yet another great actor they cast as villain wasted with a weak character.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/29/spider-man-homecoming-review-tom-holland?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    Spider-Man: Homecoming is so joyously entertaining that it’s enough to temporarily cure any superhero fatigue. There’s wit, smarts and a nifty, inventive plot that serves as a reminder of what buoyant fun such films can bring. It might have taken three attempts but Spider-Man has finally spun gold.

The magic of Homecoming is that it belongs more to the John Hughes cinematic universe than the Avengers.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/reviews/863407-spider-man-homecoming-review

One of the very best Marvel Cinematic Universe films, and one of the best films of the year

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/06/29/review-spider-man-homecoming-marvel-movie/103263046/

Marvel has had a longstanding problem with its villains, each less compelling than the last, but the film’s handling of Vulture is one of its many masterstrokes. He’s given depth, humanity and moral ambiguity, a working-class grafter up against what he sees as Tony Stark’s careless elite. Civil War’s smartest idea was examining the damaging effect that the Avengers had on the world around them, and that theme is nicely built on here, class warfare serving as a subtle subtext to the film’s more literal conflicts.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/29/spider-man-homecoming-review-tom-holland?CMP=twt_gu

Marvel has finally started to figure out what the future of superhero movies might look like. -David Ehlrich

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/spider-man-homecoming-review-marvel-future-superhero-movies-tom-holland-zendaya-1201848553/

News Flash: Tom Holland is the best movie Spider-Man ever. He finds the kid inside the famous red onesie and brings out the kid in even the most hardened filmgoer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-spider-man-homecoming-really-is-amazing-w489822

Most impressive is that it's a blast to watch, harkening back to the sugar rush that accompanied flipping through Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's earliest comic adventures .

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/spider-man/265932/spider-man-homecoming-review

Feels a little more punchy, laugh-filled, and exciting than one might expect from a property that's already been given plenty of chances to succeed.

http://www.thewrap.com/spider-man-homecoming-review-tom-holland-mcu/

Spider-Man: Homecoming is smart, incredibly funny and surprisingly clever. It is an entirely unexpected - perhaps even vanishingly implausible - fresh start for the third Spider-Man franchise of the past fifteen years.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/29/15888670/spider-man-homecoming-review

Spider-Man: Homecoming is an enchanting reminder why we ever hid comic books under our bed in the first place.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/06/film-review-spider-man-homecoming/

While the Marvel Netflix series have touted their identity as “street-level heroes,” the Spider-Man of Spider-Man: Homecoming feels like a better realization of that promise. He’s still got superpowers, and he’s working against a powerful villain that can wreak havoc, but Watts always wants us to know that this Spider-Man lives among us. He’s not a billionaire or a demigod or a super soldier. He has superpowers, but he’s also visiting his local bodega and swinging through the suburbs. Homecoming is a movie that emphasizes the “neighborhood” part of “friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.”.

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-review/

A funny, sunny superhero movie for the whole family.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/06/spider-man_homecoming_review_spidey_comes_back_str.html

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a franchise reboot done right. Thanks to an extraordinary performance from Tom Holland, an authentic portrayal of high school life that would make John Hughes proud, some surprises that have thankfully been kept secret for the most part, and a larger sandbox for Spidey to crawl around in and some impressive action, Spider-Man is amazing once again.

9/10

http://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-homecoming-review/

The more I think about SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, the more I appreciate and adore it. It's definitely in the top echelon of Marvel movies, up there with the first GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, which might be my two favorite superhero movies of all time. I've only seen it once, this is true, but even after one viewing it's pretty hard to walk away from HOMECOMING not thinking you've just seen the most ideal big-screen take on Spidey yet, and one of the best examples of the genre, period.

9/10

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/revi...homecoming-220

The magic of Homecoming is that it belongs more to the John Hughes cinematic universe than the Avengers’. It cleverly references other Marvel films and even iconic scenes from previous Spider-jams, and right when it needs to, the story tosses out a big twist that ups the emotional stakes for Peter and brings his student and superhero lives crashing down on him.

3.5 stars

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...newstopstories

Not surprised in the suggest, chuffed for Holland. It's next weekend release right?

• Advertisement

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Not surprised in the suggest, chuffed for Holland. It's next weekend release right?

Wednesday!

Fack back in work on Wednesday. Will be a Friday/Saturday job so. Also chuffed for Keaton as it sounds like he nailed it as well.

Stuckmann and Grace giving it good reviews on youtube!

Right, I'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just saw this and even as someone who has become very jaded with the MCU I have to say I loved it. All the positive reviews above are pretty spot on. I was a big fan of spider man 2 but this surpasses it imo.

When I first heard the pitch I was sold straight away but the recent marketing material had brought my expectations right down to zero as it was selling it as a by the numbers modern superhero movie. Luckily it was just s***e marketing trying to be over safe.

I hope it becomes the most successful spiderman and prompts Marvel and Disney into taking a few more risks with their IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No sign of any midnight screenings in Limerick tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cannot ****ing wait to see this tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

No sign of any midnight screenings in Limerick tonight :(

It's not released until Friday the 7th so you won't see midnight screenings until Thursday night I'm assuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's not released until Friday the 7th so you won't see midnight screenings until Thursday night I'm assuming.

Sorry my mistake I was going by the US release date.
    Now to look for a local midnight screening.
    Cheers.

There's screenings tomorrow

Edit: nevermind you figured it out already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement