Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ThePott

Enjoyed this film quite a bit, definitely better than I expected. Think it worked well off the other MCU movies, maybe a bit overpowered but I liked this film overall.

Went into more detail in a video review if anyone is interested
    https://youtu.be/dZzvmbpxVcI

Also went over some spoilery stuff and speculated a little on other aspects
    https://youtu.be/i2AL3sdUMe0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pter wrote: »
    Ive called it before, whatever destroyed Titan (because they were all big strong bastards like Thanos) is the next big bad.

Im not sure if Thanos is like Titan's Superman or something, but he took out Hulk with a few judo chops and a kick to the stomach. So whatever floors a planet under his watch (whether other Titans are as strong as him or not) is a worthy baddie, imo.

Not spoiler tagging this, as it's not really a spoiler but can help some people understand why he was able to just pound Hulk so easily. Cannon wise Thanos is essentially a Mutant of his own species. His people aren't naturally that big, strong or even purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sonics2k wrote:
    Not spoiler tagging this, as it's not really a spoiler but can help some people understand why he was able to just pound Hulk so easily. Cannon wise Thanos is essentially a Mutant of his own species. His people aren't naturally that big, strong or even purple.

Did not know that. Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sonics2k wrote: »

To establish stakes.

The films have made plenty of tweaks to established canon, so wouldn't read too much into that element

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I would not put the low score all down to review bombing, even though I said it was fun I think it is understandable that many people would not enjoy it especially for a Marvel film which we expect to be top notch and this film was certainly not to the usual Marvel films standard, It is a watch once experience for sure, somewhere between Ironman 2, Thor the Dark world and Antman 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    To establish stakes.

The films have made plenty of tweaks to established canon, so wouldn't read too much into that element

Oh I know, but as the movie hasn't addressed it directly it's safe to assume that's the case.

They also don't mention that his home planet Titan is actually in reference to the moon 'Titan' orbiting Saturn because by modern context its not exactly far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thanos isn't a mutant he's an eternal , a deviant strain and they are all super powered

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it, was discussing with a few of the lads, and I mentioned that it actually makes the first Avengers movie a better film, as you get to see Fury's motivation for putting the team together.

The one thing I do feel however, is that this character out of all the others introduced, could have benefited from appearing earlier, with an appearance in a second movie inbetween to explain her absence (even an appearance in Guardians 2 for example), if only to remove the deus ex element that surrounds her at the moment.

Still, marvel have shown that they can do ensembles well, without resorting to the trope of having one key team member save the day, I'd be hopeful that they can stick the landing on this one. We don't have long to wait at least.

I agree with this maybe even a cameo in the 2nd Guardians movie or a mention. I believe 1 of 2 things will happen to Captain Marvel either Thanos will depower her a bit to be less OP or her movies will be set in like the guardians in space where they can have bigger and stronger foes. Even with the 2nd one I could see her losing some of her power.

Giving that
    Ironman at least
    will die in Endgame it won't be Marvel who will defeat Thanos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

The movie is a grand popcorn flick
    Not as many Easter eggs as I thought
    There was a nice Stan Lee nod as expected
    the opening marvel credits but CM's salute while reading the Mallrats screenplay was a nice if a little overextended scene
    The deaging effects were very well done and apart from some Coulson scenes, not noticeable
    Jude Law's hairline is intriguing in general
    The cat interesting
    but a little overused

The starting 20 odd minutes seemed very dark visually and at times hard to decipher what was going on but that could've been the screen I attended.
    Film is not boring and moves along at a steady pace, couldnt really pick out a memorable action scene aside from what was already shown in the trailers

Compared to other female Superhero films, there's really only one and I'm not sure it captured that unique woman power WW did in fact the
    I'm just a girl scene was cringeworthy-surely they could've found another more apt song, that seemed a little rushed to me

Brie L does a good job with what she's given, I wanted it either to be more bizarre like GOTG or more unique in some way given that it was the first Marvel, all powerful female superhero but it never created the awe/ooh/wow factor I thought it was going for.

Wanted more but satisfied with what I got

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got back from this. It's a decent popcorn flick which reminds me of the South Park episode which comes between the Cartman's father two-parter.

Feels a bit like a lesser version of Wonder Woman. It's less subtle and frankly should have been made years ago. That said, I enjoyed it. Larson is a good fit for the lead role and the supporting cast are good. I particularly liked
    the twist about the Skrulls.
    This could have been elaborated on but it wasn't something I was expecting.

Watching Samuel L Jackson fawn over a cat was awesome as well. More cats in the future please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i enjoyed it, as close to a nick fury movie as we are going to get . sagged a bit in the middle but the pay off was good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Here’s Why Nick Fury Didn’t Page Captain Marvel Sooner, According to Kevin Feige
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/here-s-why-nick-fury-didn-t-page-captain-marvel-sooner-1833187897
    Peter: I have my nitpicky question I gotta ask you.

Kevin Feige: I’m ready.

Peter: And I know you probably have an answer for this. Why didn’t Nick Fury not use the pager until Infinity War? Because this big hole opened up in the sky and aliens attacked New York City.

Kevin Feige: Well, I’d say two things. One, she does say it’s gotta be a real emergency, right? Yeah.

Peter: Because that was just a city. I guess that’s not the world.

Kevin Feige: The other thing I’d say is how do you know he never hit it? How do we know he never pushed it before? We’ve never seen him push it before. That doesn’t mean he never did.

Peter: Good answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Enjoyed it. Breezy kind of stuff that lacked the gravitas of Infinity War, but that's not a problem in my book. We're getting that in a few weeks.

A lot of these films are just a good way to spend a couple of hours. I got to turn my brain off and just follow her about her adventures for a spell, and I enjoyed them.

I disagree with suggestions about the action being poor. The blowy uppy stuff got a bit less interesting as it got less grounded, but I think hand beams are a bit old hat at this point. The Cutting Edge suit from Infinity War shined so much because of how much versatility they showed with its powers.
    I thought the choreography was streets ahead of the likes of Black Panther, for example. It's not really a strong point of Marvel films in general, other than the Captain Americas. Most of the rest don't need to resort to punching things in the face.
    In particular, I enjoyed her breakout scene. I don't think it was tooooo jump-cutty, had a good bit of weight and enough physical comedy to make it work, and then the final combat against her former crew, with Gwen Stefani on in the background.

Didn't have any issue with Brie Larson. There wasn't a load of on the nose stuff about girl power and I enjoyed her sparring, physically and verbally with the other cast.

It had strengths and weaknesses, like most of these films, but I'd probably put it just outside the top 10 of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So went to see the movie tonight I enjoyed it 7/8 out of 10.

Like any origins movie it went a little boring at times the start was slow
    up until her capture
    . The fight scenes were good the one with the grandma was okay and her smile to Stan (was that an actor, him or cut from another film). The nods to him were good and I could see in some cinema some shouting out THANK YOU STAN at the start.

I do think the fight with
    Ronan
    could have been cut with just the mention but I do see why it was in it was rushed and it rushed the end as
    I would have like a longer fight with her and Yonn Rogg
    . I feel this movie is more setting things up for after Endgame then that movie and her part in the Avengers movie while a bit will not be the climax. Does anyone thing the
    daughter of her best friend will have some role going forward

Of course MVP is
    Goose
    . Larson & Jackson had a good chemistry and while I know she has some questionable comments in real life and did not mind her as Captain Marvel (did they actually ever use it) I know Fury does say Marvel

Good movie could see it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I expected it to be terrible so in that sense I was surprised, in the sense that it was fine. Middle of the road, average and bland fare that many people are either calling the best thing in the world or the worst depending on your political stance/views toward Brie Larson.

It's not unique in any way. The opening 15 minutes is quite bad. The last 15 equally so - especially with the bashing-you-over-the-head choices of music. It reminded me of suicide squad in a way when it started accompanying crucial scenes with pandering music.

In between there is some decent fare, which would probably have been better if the audience didn't know about the characters backstory, or at least weren't shown it. It removes a lot of the tension.

5.5 or 6 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mokuba wrote: »
    I expected it to be terrible so in that sense I was surprised, in the sense that it was fine. Middle of the road, average and bland fare that many people are either calling the best thing in the world or the worst depending on your political stance/views toward Brie Larson.

It's not unique in any way. The opening 15 minutes is quite bad. The last 15 equally so - especially with the bashing-you-over-the-head choices of music. It reminded me of suicide squad in a way when it started accompanying crucial scenes with pandering music.

In between there is some decent fare, which would probably have been better if the audience didn't know about the characters backstory, or at least weren't shown it. It removes a lot of the tension.

5.5 or 6 out of 10.

I think I am totally disconnected to some popular comicbook movies that make mega bucks. WW, Aquaman and captain marvel offered very little IMO and yet they are all rated north of 7/10 and cleaned up in the box office. Even Black Panther was a slightly better but ok inclusion and it broke records! WW was a carbon copy of Captain America’s Origin movie. Aquaman was just the exact opposite to Snyder’s movies with a sprinkling of Marvels cookie cutter brand. BP was as generic an origin story as you can get and Marvel was quite boring and clearly just a way of shoe horning the character into EG.

These movies are nowhere near as good as Ragnorak, TWS, CW or even IM3 (that I was watching last night) and yet they still get very positive receptions. It’s nothing to do with the political agenda behind them (I think people make This a thing to avoid actually critically discussing the movies) , they are just objectively safe, unremarkable additions to their franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

She's ridiculously over-powered by the end and I felt Nick Fury was a little short-changed
    the manner in which he lost an eye was a let-down and his general tomfoolery with the "cat"
    before that seemed wildly out of character from the badass we've seen to-date in the MCU.

Talos was really the stand-out character for me, really nicely portrayed.

Overall, it was a decent popcorn movie but if, as I suspect
    we only see Danvers called "Captain" Marvel when she steps up to replace Steve Rogers in Endgame, I'll be gutted. She's fine as a super-powerful second-string member of the Avengers (akin to Vision) but she doesn't have the charisma or charm of Cap.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw it a couple of days ago with my niece and enjoyed it more than expected (partly because most MCU films bore the arse off me these days so I usually skip them).

I really liked the bits with Fury and the cat - partly because I'm the kind of idiot who'll always fawn over cats like that, but partly because it gave him some bit of personality that wasn't just "he's a badass all the way down". I could've done without some of the "connective tissue" stuff (having it be Ronan turning up as the Kree enforcer felt a bit unnecessary, for example) but at least it wasn't too glaring or burdensome.

Having said all that, I stuck around for the midcredits scene and all I got from it was a reminder that I don't care about the wider MCU or universe-threatening stakes of the teamup films. Different strokes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Sleepy wrote: »
    She's ridiculously over-powered by the end and I felt Nick Fury ... seemed wildly out of character from the badass we've seen to-date in the MCU..
    By the end, she's about as powerful as Thor has become. Likely necessary for the battle with Thanos, but no guarantee that she'll still be as powerful when it's all over.

As for Fury, he wasn't the badass we've seen to date, because this was well before he became so. This was as much his origin story as Captain Marvel's. He was obviously a badass even then, but not to quite the same extent as he would become by 15 years later when we'd meet him first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really disappointed with this, everything about the film is completely unremarkable with a generic plot, weak scripting and barely passable action direction.

There's nothing memorable at all aside from the comic
    cat
    , it's more like an extended episode of something like Star Trek or The Orville than a €150m blockbuster.

Performances are fine, Sam Jackson is pretty good even, but it's not enough to save a painfully average film, which is to me all the more unacceptable given the high bar generally set by Marvel.

I would say it's a 4/10, maybe a 5, but I definitely wouldn't rate it any higher. I'm genuinely baffled at some of the strong critical reception.

This is not remotely in the same league as the likes of Infinity War, Ragnarok, Iron Man, Winter Soldier/Civil War, etc in all possible aspects.

Just about passable entertainment and the weakest of all the Marvel films by far, not quite Aquaman or Suicide Squad levels, but an unexpected low for Marvel all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was I the only person who thought maybe Lawson/Marvelle was Goose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

Went with the family yesterday, we love our MCU in general. The kids enjoyed it, I thought it was good, enjoyable for the most part. Definitely felt it was lacking something special to get it up from a 6/10 movie towards an 8.

Very disappointed with
    How Fury lost his eye

I recall
    "The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye" line from TWS
    this was a big let down for me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Went yesterday with herself. We both love Avengers etc but tbh this film was a disappointment to both of us.
    Wonder woman (to do the whole female reference) was a great film with a great script and cast.
    Too bad this fell flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,784 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Such a small thing but this is annoying me a bit

In this universe REMS 'man on the moon ' would not make sense and would never if been written

Anyway kick ass soundtrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

PTH2009 wrote: »

In this universe REMS 'man on the moon ' would not make sense and would never if been written

???
    Why? Do you know what the song is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

PTH2009 wrote: »

I think Feige came out recently and said REM doesn’t exist In the MCU, however, he said Michael Stipe DID exist but sang in a different band and he WAS killed in the snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw it today and thought it was fairly decent. I'm big into sci-fi/space stuff so I appreciate any movie that takes us into space, especially with the marvel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mongoose_Bike

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Saw it today and thought it was fairly decent. I'm big into sci-fi/space stuff so I appreciate any movie that takes us into space, especially with the marvel universe.

I agree, and so do I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I haven't seen all these MCU movies because I got bored quickly by the seemingly never-ending nature of it. I watch occasional ones now, I saw this today and was bored for most of it. Brie Larson is exceedingly pretty though so it wasn't all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It needed more Ben Mendelsohn

I thought Brie did well as Danvers, worked well with Sam

Advertisement