Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Does the film explain the difference between
    the skrull and the kree?
    . Excuse my ignorance but i don't know the back story of either i am excited about the
    Ronan news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I pretty much ignored the MCU until I watched Infinity War on a flight last year - have since watched all 20 odd films in the 'recommended' order. Was very hyped about CM, and went to see it on Saturday.

It's an origins film, so you have to take that into account. It didn't work 100% for me to be honest, there were some really good points, and other parts that were a bit slow. But it is an origins movie - you're not going to get Infinity War when introducing a brand new character. I'm hopeful for where it goes next, and it has me super hyped for End Game.

Having said all that - I've watched Infinity War a few times, Black Panther a few times, Spiderman Homecoming (the benchmark for origin stories for me) a few times too. Do I want to see CM again soon?. Not really. It was good but not amazing. My OH who is pretty luke warm on Marvel thought it wasn't bad too, and preferred the second half.

I'd give it 6 or a generous 7 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

ArthurG wrote: »
    Spiderman Homecoming (the benchmark for origin stories for me)

Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't an origin story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Calhoun wrote: »
    Does the film explain the difference between
    the skrull and the kree?

Yeah, there's no chance of confusion there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The 1st 30 minutes or so I wasn't liking it but it grew on me and overall I enjoyed it. Better than some of their recent efforts last 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Went to see this over the weekend and enjoyed it.

Had the right mix of action and comedy, a decent entry into the MCU for the character.

Cannot wait to see Endgame now, hopefully a new trailer released soon?

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no chance of confusion there

For some reason i thought the
    Kree and the Skull were like Romulans and Vulcans, i did some digging and well they both seem to be a shower of bastards. I cannot tell which group are worse though.

Soundtrack did not include Black Sheep - someone should hang their head in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

For some reason i thought the
    Kree and the Skull were like Romulans and Vulcans, i did some digging and well they both seem to be a shower of bastards. I cannot tell which group are worse though.

This film does a decent enough job of making the differences clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So went a seen it today. It was ok. I thought the Kree homeworld and the other worlds looked great but was disappointed with C-53. Was not sure at first if it was meant to be the 80s or the 90s but figured it out. I thought the flashbacks good have been done better and was disappointed that we never get to hear her called her super hero name at all. It did not have much humour but the bit that was there was good and not forced. I think Goose really stole the show do and knew there was something different about him.
    It was a decent origins story but a little slow in parts. There was some great fight scenes too do.
    Overall I would give it 5.5 out of 10.
    I thought when they had found a de-cloaked the ship over Earth they should re-cloaked it when they got onboard and then they might have saved the Kree from finding them

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I got what expected. Nothing spectacular or new. Would of enjoyed it more had I watched it at home on tv for free. 5/10, not terrible but very little to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Saw it last night , went in without reading reviews or caring about the hullabaloo social media stuff that always surrounds these films these days

Thought it started pretty slowly but I think that's more you didn't know what was happening in , thought it picked up alot once she was on earth , the de-aging was fantastic I didn't even notice it once on SLJ , there was one very bad CGI part and it didn't involve the deaging stuff

Really enjoyed her story and I felt it got better the longer it went on
    The whole Mar-vell bit was a surprise it didn't annoy me as it has some comic fans , as the MCU has not stuck to the comics to the letter at all, also the Skrulls turning out to be refugees really took me by pleasant surprise, but I reckon it won't be the final say there , there's more Skrulls in the canon that are very bad so I think there's still some wiggle room with them, wasn't surprised that Judd Law was the villain he just has this natural arrogance about him , The Kree will be a massive force if they do a sequel and they probably will with 20 odd years to fill in. Was cool to see her power up so much towards the end aswell and that credits scene was perfect

also had no problem with Bree's acting at all thought she did a great job , SLJ was great too , you can really tell he loves doing these films he always looks like he's having tonnes of fun in them, Mandelson was great too as the main Skrull

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of Marvel's more blatant interstitials, spinning its wheels for the larger Infinity War event, but boxed up within a so-so origin story containing arguably the first legitimate casting dud within the MCU (with the possible exception of Benedict Cumberbatch's accent). Usually, I can give the 'lesser' MCU films a pass, as by and large even their poorer output is leaps ahead of rival fare. Here though, nothing clicked; not the action scenes, characters, arcs, dialogue - anything - it all felt terribly half-baked, but the poor choices led from the front. Brie Larson was dreadful, her bland styling almost tipping into obnoxiousness - the flatlining sass dialogue & Larson's delivery only made her come off like a jerk - but I think the script was partially at fault here, the writing never actually structuring a proper emotional arc to gel the pieces together. Hell the audience were given the answers to her mysterious past before Danvers, making her discoveries feel completely redundant.

It felt like Marvel Studios were in such a rush to get this piece on the chessboard for Avengers: Endgame, the script wasn't a factor in at least giving Carol Danvers some semblance of characterisation. Maybe it's the Superman problem; that in making Danvers the walking McGuffin strong enough to defeat Thanos, she wasn't allowed any personality or flaws to hang onto some kind of arc. As for the rest of the cast? Sam Jackson was great - as he usually is - in fact it was Agent Fury that got the proper development; ditto Ben Mendelsohn's Skrull antagonist. Annette Bening was completely wasted however, even if her few scenes showed a lot more spark and charisma than Larson.

And once again, like with Black Panther, there was a director (directors) quite competent in the quieter, character based moments but utterly at sea once the action kicked off; like that former film, the actions scenes were a disorienting mess, with no sense of geography of coordination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

pixelburp wrote: »
    One of Marvel's more blatant interstitials, spinning its wheels for the larger Infinity War event, but boxed up within a so-so origin story containing arguably the first legitimate casting dud within the MCU (with the possible exception of Benedict Cumberbatch's accent). Usually, I can give the 'lesser' MCU films a pass, as by and large even their poorer output is leaps ahead of rival fare. Here though, nothing clicked; not the action scenes, characters, arcs, dialogue - anything - it all felt terribly half-baked, but the poor choices led from the front. Brie Larson was dreadful, her bland styling almost tipping into obnoxiousness - the flatlining sass dialogue & Larson's delivery only made her come off like a jerk - but I think the script was partially at fault here, the writing never actually structuring a proper emotional arc to gel the pieces together. Hell the audience were given the answers to her mysterious past before Danvers, making her discoveries feel completely redundant.

It felt like Marvel Studios were in such a rush to get this piece on the chessboard for Avengers: Endgame, the script wasn't a factor in at least giving Carol Danvers some semblance of characterisation. Maybe it's the Superman problem; that in making Danvers the walking McGuffin strong enough to defeat Thanos, she wasn't allowed any personality or flaws to hang onto some kind of arc. As for the rest of the cast? Sam Jackson was great - as he usually is - in fact it was Agent Fury that got the proper development; ditto Ben Mendelsohn's Skrull antagonist. Annette Bening was completely wasted however, even if her few scenes showed a lot more spark and charisma than Larson.

And once again, like with Black Panther, there was a director (directors) quite competent in the quieter, character based moments but utterly at sea once the action kicked off; like that former film, the actions scenes were a disorienting mess, with no sense of geography of coordination.

Excellent synopsis. Couldn't agree more.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe it's the Superman problem; that in making Danvers the walking McGuffin strong enough to defeat Thanos,

I'd be very surprised if they went that way. More likely she gives them an early advantage, then Thanos fights back (and maybe depowers her since he has the stone which gave her power), then is defeated by the noble self-sacrifice of Tony Stark.

I'd be very surprised if they went that way. More likely she gives them an early advantage, then Thanos fights back (and maybe depowers her since he has the stone which gave her power), then is defeated by the noble self-sacrifice of Tony Stark.

Indeed if she is setup as the big bad that can do more than the team of avengers alone its going to create some problems for them down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I have a theory im almost sure is going to come true;
    Carol finds out what happens, rushes off to fight Thanos (this happens early in the movie). She gets in a good few licks before Thanos reabsorbs her Space stone imbued powers (most of them anyway), thereby reducing her power levels (temporarily).

'What was given can be taken away' kept getting said in CA - id imagine thats an easter egg.

I thought something like the above would happen before i saw CM; the content of the movie and how powerful CM is makes me think it will happen even more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone posited that Marvel were trying to force Danvers into being the 'Wonder Woman' of the MCU, and on the basis of watching Captain Marvel I think that's true - with the caveat of also trying to make her the MCU's Superman. Not totally invincible but definitely something of a "I win" button.

No, she probably won't be the panacea to the Avengers' Thanos problem, but I'd feel a little less sore about her sudden, convenient arrival to help save the day if her character wasn't such a jerk and bore. At least Superman was the unapologetic boy scout. The Avengers can sellotape Danvers to a stick for all I care about her presence in the franchise at this minute.

And that's kinda the problem; Captain Marvel wasn't about Carol Danvers or trying to make me be at least interested in her journey. Feck, even giving her a journey. No. It was about moving a chess piece onto the MCU board.

I truly admire Marvel Studios' ability to bring long-form storytelling to cinema, but even serialised TV takes a break now & again and just tells a good, self-contained story. I'm getting a little sick of what's beginning to feel like I'm being "nickle and dimed" as the Americans say.

Indeed if she is setup as the big bad that can do more than the team of avengers alone its going to create some problems for them down the line.

'Most powerful Avenger' depends on who is writing it and what they want to do with the plot.

Captain Marvel is super-powerful!
    But Thor is the God of Thunder!
    But Captain America has the power of righteousness!
    But Doctor Strange can control reality!
    But Iron Man can build technology to do anything!
    But Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets!
    But Hawkeye has arrows!

anyway, everyone knows the most powerful being in the universe eats nuts and kicks butts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it, was discussing with a few of the lads, and I mentioned that it actually makes the first Avengers movie a better film, as you get to see Fury's motivation for putting the team together.

The one thing I do feel however, is that this character out of all the others introduced, could have benefited from appearing earlier, with an appearance in a second movie inbetween to explain her absence (even an appearance in Guardians 2 for example), if only to remove the deus ex element that surrounds her at the moment.

Still, marvel have shown that they can do ensembles well, without resorting to the trope of having one key team member save the day, I'd be hopeful that they can stick the landing on this one. We don't have long to wait at least.

'Most powerful Avenger' depends on who is writing it and what they want to do with the plot.

Captain Marvel is super-powerful!
    But Thor is the God of Thunder!
    But Captain America has the power of righteousness!
    But Doctor Strange can control reality!
    But Iron Man can build technology to do anything!
    But Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets!
    But Hawkeye has arrows!

I meant more from the perspective of inflation of the bad guy, maybe its my lack of knowledge on the whole universe but right now i just wonder what could be bigger and badder than Thanos.

If Captain Marvel is the MVP that can singlehandedly sort out Thanos then it would mean everything after would be quite boring.

I meant more from the perspective of inflation of the bad guy, maybe its my lack of knowledge on the whole universe but right now i just wonder what could be bigger and badder than Thanos.

If Captain Marvel is the MVP that can singlehandedly sort out Thanos then it would mean everything after would be quite boring.
    Something must have destroyed Titan :)

Pter wrote: »
    Something must have destroyed Titan :)

I completely forgot about that, also
    Peter Quills father was a mad bastard.

Ive called it before, whatever destroyed Titan (because they were all big strong bastards like Thanos) is the next big bad.

Im not sure if Thanos is like Titan's Superman or something, but he took out Hulk with a few judo chops and a kick to the stomach. So whatever floors a planet under his watch (whether other Titans are as strong as him or not) is a worthy baddie, imo.

Its crazy i love how much space and growth the MCU has and really like the long term thinking and connections they put into each film.

Ive called it before, whatever destroyed Titan (because they were all big strong bastards like Thanos) is the next big bad.

Im not sure if Thanos is like Titan's Superman or something, but he took out Hulk with a few judo chops and a kick to the stomach. So whatever floors a planet under his watch (whether other Titans are as strong as him or not) is a worthy baddie, imo.
    I thought Titan was destroyed because of growth and possible over use of resources? Not because of some baddy?
    . Wasn’t that Thanos motivation to halve the universe in the first place?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I thought Titan was destroyed because of growth and possible over use of resources? Not because of some baddy?
    . Wasn’t that Thanos motivation to halve the universe in the first place?
    Look at how the planet was in IW.....i dont think its as straightforward as fighting over resources, so they nuked themselves.

If anything i could see it being the overpopulation caused Galactus (or equivalent) to rise and consume the planet, leaving the husk that we saw.....And that Thanos wants to make sure that doesn't happen again. In the comics Thanos ends up being a bit of a tragic villain, and they set him up as reluctantly carrying out his burden in IW - it would not surprise me one bit that this is where the MCU is going after another few phases.

There are a lot of things that Thanos said in IW that have been overlooked because everyone wants to find out what happens next after the snap.

But we know they set things up long in advance, so if there aren't strands from IW that are going to be followed (the above is one example, because there are a load of open ends) then that would actually be a big change for Marvel Studios and Feige. For gods sake, Stark was warning us of the 'Endgame' in AoU, so i literally cant see them leaving out why or how Thanos' planet got trashed and who was responsible.

That may have been a little more snarky than intended Drummer. You know i love you.

• Advertisement

That may have been a little more snarky than intended Drummer. You know i love you.

Not at all Pter, I always feel the love even if you are being snarky .. :pac:

Advertisement