Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I'm just stunned that someone read my post

Would agree with this in general (though I do have a bit of a soft spot for Thor)

The movie was just fairly unremarkable. Went with the Missus, who's generally a big MCU fan, and she found it relatively boring. She was really disappointed in the Annette Benning character.

I found it all a little bit too on point. The soundtrack was painfully unsubtle, there was no real emotional focus-point, and a good portion of the jokes missed their marks.

The effects were impressive on the whole.

I've rewatched a number of the MCU films on a couple of occasions, but this one definitely feels like a one & done movie for me. If they tried a sequel, I don't think I'd be too bothered with a cinema trip for it, and I'd really struggle to get my better half to go along.

Got to agree with the soundtrack comments. I loved hearing "I'm only happy when it rains", especially as I am going to the Garbage concert in a few months BUT what was the reason it was being played, "I'm just a girl" was there for what; To remind us that Larson/Danvers is a woman? I'm not going to forget that, I mean she has a lovely smile (oh Christ, that scene was cringe and not for the reason they wanted)

Guardians did the throw back so much better, there was a story reason as to why we were hearing these songs. It was Quill's only link to his mother.
    It would have been so easy to have the songs just playing in the background, on radio/jukebox, and lead into the scenes as they become the backing song to said scene. Then, later, they could play as the accompaniment to payoff scenes, without being out of place yet still being on the nose.

More and more, that I think of it, it was directional issues I have a problem with.
    Larson can act.
    Danvers is meant to be a blank slate living her life through pictures while not having any emotional connection with events (even when she remembers the event). It is meant to really affect her, that she has no feeling about her past life, not meant to just be so blasé about the whole thing. There was not even a bad attempt to convey that, which has to be a directorial decision.

El Duda wrote: »
    I'm just stunned that someone read my post

Twice now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Got to agree with the soundtrack comments. I loved hearing "I'm only happy when it rains", especially as I am going to the Garbage concert in a few months BUT what was the reason it was being played, "I'm just a girl" was there for what; To remind us that Larson/Danvers is a woman? I'm not going to forget that, I mean she has a lovely smile (oh Christ, that scene was cringe and not for the reason they wanted).

The one thing this scene and music reminded me of was Kingsmen, particularly the scene in the church. And it didn't really work here. It's a cool tune but it made the climactic fight into a cartoon without any sense of tension or threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I'm Just A Girl sounded odd in the mix. Like they didn't know how to use it properly.

I also thought the Nirvana song playing on the turntable was a bit contrived. Other than that I enjoyed the use of songs. They didn't overdo the nostalgia imo.

I loved the Pulp Fiction reference with Ben Mendelsohn slurping the drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its on course to break the 1 billion mark.

The reviews seem to be pretty mixed so I wonder has it done so commercially well because its the last film before Endgame?

Its not like everything Marvel does breaks or comes close to 1billion either, superior films have done less than Captain Marvel.

Although in saying that commercially its still behind Aquaman, which was IMO, was one of the worst superhero films I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Box office taking reports as a measure of success always annoy me, because they don't take account of inflation.

this is more interesting.

Highest grosses -
    Black Panther
    Infinity War
    Avengers Assemble

Adjusted for inflation -
    Avengers Assemble
    Black Panther
    Infinity War

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

Just watching avengers assemble. When Romanov goes to see Banner and explains what's going on, she shows him pic of the tesseract.

Banner says, "what does Fury want me to do, swallow it?"

#payoff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

pah wrote: »
    Just watching avengers assemble. When Romanov goes to see Banner and explains what's going on, she shows him pic of the tesseract.

Banner says, "what does Fury want me to do, swallow it?"

#payoff

I've been re-watching the movies myself. In Ironman 2 Tony mentions the Pegasus Project. He has crates from Pegasus and Goliath projects and uses items from them to create his new element.

Since Pegasus is based off the Tesseract, Tony's new element is also based off it. This might explain why Loki's Sceptre doesn't work on him in Avengers Assemble because it's based off the same technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Another home run for Marvel. They say there's no formula for success, well I guess Feige is proving that wrong. I was very underwhelmed by this, I mean, it's grand like, and has its moments, but overall I thought it was only okay, and as far as origins go, its not the worst, but unfortunately the best thing thing that I can say about this is that it's a decent popcorn flick and does the job of passing the time, but that's about it.

The casting is one of the films strongest parts, watching SLJ and Clark Gregg is a blast as young SHIELD agents, especially as an AoS fan. It's just a shame that Coulson has minimal screen time. Annette Bening, Lashana Lynch, Ben Mendelsohn are great in the support roles, and it's fun watching previous characters like Djimon Hounsous, Korath and Lee Paces, Ronan the Accuser pop up. It's no secret that Marvel has a problem with villains and this film is no different, Judd Law is a great actor, but there's nothing he can bring to this generic bad guy role, and YonRogg fits right into the array of forgettable villains. Brie Larsons performance is another tricky one, there's not doubting that she's a fantastic actor, and she's likeable in this, but the script gives her nothing, she’s essentially a
    passenger in her own film, I mean she has her powers because MarVell tells her to shoot the engine core, she fights the Skrull because the supreme intelligence tells her to fight the Skrull, she fights the Kree because the Skrull tell her to fight the Kree, she’s a badass because Rambo tells her she was a badass, the film is called Captain Marvel and yet the central character spends 90% of the film being told what to do and how to act. Only at the very end, after a nice little montage of a defiant young Carol, does she actually have some control over her own path, and after that point, we go the opposite direction and now all of a sudden the MCU have a character that’s more super than SuperMan, and more wonder than WonderWoman.

I think at this stage it's hard to be too critical of an MCU film, because we're not just watching a singular film, we’re watching 10 years of history with 20 previous episodes, so it's more akin to a TV show, and I think that’s what saves this film. It has all the nostalgic elements and characters from the MCU, throw in Goose, some 80s nostalgia, and some cool de-aging sfx, and you have what otherwise would have been a failed tent pole, and instead you have a smash hit that’s about to pass 1BL at the box office.

Some other bits
    • Here’s a pager, - Giant hole in the sky pouring out an alien invasion. #NotMyEmergency
    • Was that a
      mallrats
      script?
    • Stan Lee opening gave me all the feels
    • Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye.......:confused:
    • De-aging sfx, must be every young actors worst fear
    • Marvel getting creative with masking SLJ famous cuss word
    • Mother Flerken
    • #NotMySecretInvasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

kerplun k wrote: »

[*]Was that a
    mallrats
    script?

[/LIST]

Yes.
    Better spoiler that actually.

https://youtu.be/YFLlwtqHINs

Mallrats was released in 95. The idea is that Stan is reading the script on his way to film I believe.

I also think the camera lingered on Carol smiling at Stan a bit longer than it should have, like it was edited to be longer than originally intended given Stan's passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

[*]Was that a
    mallrats
    script?
    pah wrote: »
    Yes.
    Better spoiler that actually.

https://youtu.be/YFLlwtqHINs

Mallrats was released in 95. The idea is that Stan is reading the script on his way to film I believe.

I also think the camera lingered on Carol smiling at Stan a bit longer than it should have, like it was edited to be longer than originally intended given Stan's passing.
    I didn't even notice the Mallrats script myself but Kevin Smith mentioned it when he watched the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Some other bits

[*]Here’s a pager, - Giant hole in the sky pouring out an alien invasion. #NotMyEmergency
    A few people have mentioned this as a pothole, but why would he page her about that? He had put together the Avengers specifically to deal with issues like that.
    [*]Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye.......:confused:
    In fairness, in real life not everything people say reflects 100% reality. They will often either deliberately change something to make a point, or genuinely believe it because they've told the same story so often. Straight away, the facts were being changed by the rumoured story. 20 years later, Fury may actually have forgotten exactly what happened and believes the rumours to be true (if he was a real person, this could easily happen). He may also have just been making a point with the latter line.
    [*] De-aging sfx, must be every young actors worst fear
    Yeah, a bit scary for a lot of up and comers, now they'll never get rid of the top notch competition no matter how young the role is for! The only thing they have going for them is that, while the actors may look young, they still move like their actual age...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

He trusted the cat, it scraped him and cost him his eye. What's the big deal?

Pter wrote: »
    He trusted the cat, it scraped him and cost him his eye. What's the big deal?

I just found if funny that he hasn’t trusted anyone since the cat incident. :D

Johnmb wrote: »
    A few people...

Thanks for clearing all that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just found if funny that he hasn’t trusted anyone since the cat incident. :D

I found the Fury/cat dynamic quite hard to accept.. I can’t believe a grown man wouldn’t know a cat would f*ck you over at the first opportunity, let alone an alien cat. Can’t enjoy any scenes with Fury anymore...

Drumpot wrote:
    I found the Fury/car dynamic quite hard to accept.. I can’t believe a grown man wouldn’t know a cat would f*ck you over at the first opportunity, let alone an alien cat. Can’t enjoy any scenes with Fury anymore...

Them cats man......not to be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Thanks for clearing all that up.
    ??? Did your computer not show the rest of the post, or are you just trying to be a smart-arse?

Johnmb wrote: »
    ??? Did your comp....

I just don’t like quoting the whole post, so I just quoted the first little bit and then hoped you’d know that I was referring to the whole post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I quite enjoyed it! i enjoyed the soundtrack, the sass, the kree homeworld was cool, the big twist, brie was great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Saw this on Friday. I've mixed feelings about it. There's a lot I enjoyed about it but oddly, Captain Marvel herself felt like a bit of a passenger in her own movie which was distracting. Highlight for me were the Skrulls. Their depiction and story was excellent. The main Skrull character was probably the best character on screen. I really bought into him and he worked well as a "villain". The bit of backstory to Fury and Coulson was neat. The Kree were interesting too and did add to the universe building of the MCU (cool to see Ronan back in his hey-day). Carol Danvers works well as a female superhero and not just as a token girl power hero. Brie plays the role well and with confidence... though lacking a bit of humour (which was probably on purpose). Speaking of humour, that was the biggest thing missing from this MCU entry. That moment with the cat was the only laugh it got out of me. Not every Marvel movie needs to be a comedy but they are pure entertainment pieces and part of that is the charm and humour. Those were lacking here. It did have a fantastic soundtrack though which put a smile on my face with some of the choices. Not done quite as well as GotG but still enjoyable. Overall, after a shaky start, things improve on Earth and the development in the Skrull story really steps up the quality of the movie overall.

Big problem now though... the MCU has a "Superman" problem. Captain Marvel is so over-powered, where do they go with her.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Big problem now though... the MCU has a "Superman" problem. Captain Marvel is so over-powered, where do they go with her.

They had that with post-Ragnorak/Infinity Thor anyway and they can stay in the celestial/cosmic realm with her

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

The soundtrack was cringe, it's like the producers realised how boring the movie was so they tried to con the gullible fanbase that it was exciting by playing upbeat music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sabrebo wrote: »
    The soundtrack was cringe, it's like the producers realised how boring the movie was so they tried to con the gullible fanbase that it was exciting by playing upbeat music.

yeah we watched bumblebee over the weekend and for a simillar set era the music is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bacchus wrote: »
    Saw this on Friday. I've mixed feelings about it. There's a lot I enjoyed about it but oddly, Captain Marvel herself felt like a bit of a passenger in her own movie which was distracting. Highlight for me were the Skrulls. Their depiction and story was excellent. The main Skrull character was probably the best character on screen. I really bought into him and he worked well as a "villain". The bit of backstory to Fury and Coulson was neat. The Kree were interesting too and did add to the universe building of the MCU (cool to see Ronan back in his hey-day). Carol Danvers works well as a female superhero and not just as a token girl power hero. Brie plays the role well and with confidence... though lacking a bit of humour (which was probably on purpose). Speaking of humour, that was the biggest thing missing from this MCU entry. That moment with the cat was the only laugh it got out of me. Not every Marvel movie needs to be a comedy but they are pure entertainment pieces and part of that is the charm and humour. Those were lacking here. It did have a fantastic soundtrack though which put a smile on my face with some of the choices. Not done quite as well as GotG but still enjoyable. Overall, after a shaky start, things improve on Earth and the development in the Skrull story really steps up the quality of the movie overall.

The cd loading got a laugh at the screening we were at.. and the cats first action also got an uneasy laugh from a lot of people..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I enjoyed the film to be honest, it wasnt great by any means. This will sound weird but the biggest annoyance for me in the film was the street fighter 2 arcade cab in the bar in it. First off it was clearly a modern build, and it had a widescreen LCD in it! Shocking! Especially with their jokes about computers and slow internet.

I also wasnt happy with the Pinball being smashed up either!

I enjoyed the film to be honest, it wasnt great by any means. This will sound weird but the biggest annoyance for me in the film was the street fighter 2 arcade cab in the bar in it. First off it was clearly a modern build, and it had a widescreen LCD in it! Shocking! Especially with their jokes about computers and slow internet.

I also wasnt happy with the Pinball being smashed up either!

Also a mid 90s PC with no floppy drive (or at least I did not see it by the CD tray)

Anytime you see a continuity error like that, an infinity stone did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The cd loading got a laugh at the screening we were at.. and the cats first action also got an uneasy laugh from a lot of people..

Actually, yes that was quite funny. The interplay between the main Skrull and his "science guy" was fun too.

BTW, is Carol ever referred to as "Captain Marvel" at any point? How is she "Captain Marvel"?

I would have expected some sort of symbolic hand over of the "Mahr Vehl" name to her that resulted in her new title but there was nothing. I think there was a bit of joking from Fury that "Marvel" was better than "Mahr Vehl". Was that supposed to be the "that's where she got her hero name from"?

Advertisement