Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think the movies suffers from being a prequel origin story - the stakes are low as a result. I don't even think there was really a 'bad guy' in the movie - there are characters that are fought against, but the overall 'enemy' isn't really identified. You would think that is what any pre/sequel will follow up on (leading to Kree surrender as per GotG).

It is very much a story of her origin, and not a very interesting one at that. I don't really think we have seen enough of CM to have an opinion on her, cause at the moment all we really have is a character with 6 years of brain-washed memories and a gut feel for what is right. The CM in Endgame SHOULD be very different, with many years of character growth and an understanding (in herself) of who she is and what she stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thats an excellent point Mitch - hadnt considered it like that.

I felt myself a little disappointed by it, but couldnt put my finger on why. The lack of stakes might just be it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem was the characterisation and emotional for Captain Marvel was almost non-existent, at least not in the final draft: the moment at the end, when
    Jude Law & Larson squared off against each other, Law's character trying to goad her into her making a rash, emotional move (only for Marvel to pull an Indiana Jones)
    , came out of nowhere and felt completely unearned. There was a mild hint at the very start this might inform her character, but it went nowhere and Carol Danvers literally doesn't change throughout the film. She doesn't learn to control her emotions, powers, bowel movements... the
    blasting of Jude Law
    was obviously meant to be this big "f*ck yeah!" moment but I was like ... uh, so what?

You compare that with the arcs of other 'flawed' characters, and ... well, there ARE arcs to begin with: Thor leans the real qualities of leadership; Peter Quill learns how behave like an adult; Tony Stark learns the value of not-being-a-jerk, and so on...

Captain Marvel learns ... uh, that she got her powers by fluke?

Quill does not learn how to behave like an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could argue that
    what Danvers learns during the film is who she really is. At the start of the film, she thinks of herself as the junior member of the team, rash, undisciplined, needing to be told what to do - because that's who she is told she is. During the film, she shows that she is smart and capable, and learns that she always was smart and capable - the people telling her otherwise have been doing so to keep her down. The chip in her neck that they said gave her her powers but was actually limiting them is a physical representation of how they said she was only what they made her, when she was actually better than that all along

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »

and Tony Stark continues to be a jerk!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Enjoyable but some very sloppy writing and propagandising. Feels a bit like a grift. Makes perfect sense when you're being grifted but the more you think about it afterwards...
    Obviously the biggest (shhh.... let's just hope nobody mentions it) problem is that the big McGuffin a lightspeed drive. That would be a big deal to humanity but the other races already have FTL transport.

Just to echo, the de-aging has really come on. Once that's available as an app, I'll have an ipad strapped to my head at all times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pter wrote: »

Not true; he grows, albeit in fits & starts: compare the egoistical, glory hunting wildcard that starts out in GoTG, who slowly learns to step up and take some responsibility.

Heck, the entire sequel is basically about Quill learning that in his rush to reconnect with his 'true' father, he nearly missed realising he already had one, however unconventional he was (Yondu). As the man himself says, 'he may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your Daddy'.

He remains a bit of a man-child, but it can't be said the films don't give him some ability to grow.

Captain Marvel had / has no character: she literally doesn't change, grow or learning anything new about herself; and no, IMO recovering from amnesia is not growth - it's quite the opposite, given she doesn't actually change in terms of behaviour, mood. Compare Captain Marvel with, say, Jason Bourne and the latter is basically a new version of the same man.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not true; he grows, albeit in fits & starts: compare the egoistical, glory hunting wildcard that starts out in GoTG, who slowly learns to step up and take some responsibility.

nah, I don't see Quill becoming responsible. It's more about making connections to other people - an Avengers Assemble rethread, if you like.

Then GotG 2 tests those relationships by testing them against others
    Captain Marvel had / has no character: she literally doesn't change, grow or learning anything new about herself;

By the same token, neither does Captain America in any of the movies he's been in. The point of the character is that he was a heroic boy scout before he took the super serum, and despite everything that has happened to him since then he remains true to who he was at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Captain Marvel had / has no character: she literally doesn't change, grow or learning anything new about herself; and no, IMO recovering from amnesia is not growth - it's quite the opposite, given she doesn't actually change in terms of behaviour, mood. Compare Captain Marvel with, say, Jason Bourne and the latter is basically a new version of the same man.

But sometimes it's not about learning something new about yourself, but rather staying true to who you are. She always fought to go higher, further, faster. She always fought and when she got knocked down she always got back up.
    After she got her powers, the Kree used an inhibitor to keep her down. To not let her fully use her powers in an effort to control her, and keep themselves above her. She became as powerful as she is by choosing to break free of that, to break free of their control and their efforts to keep her down, just like she had always tried to do when told to slow down, or that she couldn't fly combat etc.

That's why when she's challenged to a fistfight by Yon-Rogg at the end, he's doing so because it's the only way he knows he can beat her. So she swats him away like a fly because she's no longer under his control. She doesn't need to prove she can beat him without her powers, because she does have her powers.

Some heroes journeys have been about growth and learning to become someone better, but some can just be about staying true to who you are. As RayCun pointed out, it's also the core of Captain America's first film. Cap didn't become as noble and self-sacrificing as he was because of the serum. He got the serum because that was who he was to begin with. Cap.Marvel got her powers because she volunteered for a mission to help save lives, and destroyed the engine knowing it could kill her because it was the right thing to do. She got her powers through her heroism, and it's her powers and her own internal heroism that enable her to be who she always was.

I'd agree that other characters have had better characterisation in their films, but there are also some who didn't (like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man imo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

RayCun wrote: »
    and Tony Stark continues to be a jerk!

I wouldn't call Tony a jerk lately moreso driven by his internal torment. For me Civil War was hands down RDJ's best performance in the MCU. He got that internal battle within Tony to a T.

Penn wrote: »
    But sometimes it's not about learning something new about yourself, but rather staying true to who you are. She always fought to go higher, further, faster. She always fought and when she got knocked down she always got back up.

I dunno, "higher, further, faster" isn't a trait, or a character; people mentioned Captain America, but that was easy to translate into visually arresting metaphors and show a character's personality through their actions. Even when powerless, Steve Rogers stood up to bullies and did the right thing. Before he even got jacked up, the man's personality was self-evident; somewhat contradictorily to my point, the character arc was as much about how Rogers didn't change, insofar as it was about how he did. Power didn't corrupt him. Plus little moments like the scene with the flagpole showed the audience Rogers' inguinity and obvious skills beyond the physical.

Carol Danvers didn't earn her powers, and got a postage stamp montage of a sh*tty dad (though what father
    screams at a bleeding child after crashing in a race??
    ) and some other fleeting moments that didn't really add much. And the fact the audience saw all this before Danvers discovered it, robbed the film of any great surprise or drama.

My main problem with the whole amnesia angle is that Danvers effectively stayed the same person as 'real' Danvers. Like I said, Jason Bourne is a good comparator because there, he was basically ... wait for it... re-bourne :D into a new person, as he discovered more about his shady past. Discoveries that were new to Bourne parallel with the audience, helping the pace.

And the
    Kree sapping her powers
    was just ... there? Again, it didn't really translate to much to give a damn about. The big conflict amounted to a literal switch, while Annette Benning earned the easiest paycheque she'll ever pick up.

Ultimately, this wasn't a bad movie, but you could tell the main purpose of this film was to get Captain Marvel onto the chessboard, just for Avengers: Endgame. There was no care or attention given to Danvers, except "she's powerful, watch out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Penn wrote: »

That's why when she's challenged to a fistfight by Yon-Rogg at the end, he's doing so because it's the only way he knows he can beat her. So she swats him away like a fly because she's no longer under his control. She doesn't need to prove she can beat him without her powers, because she does have her powers.

Some heroes journeys have been about growth and learning to become someone better, but some can just be about staying true to who you are. As RayCun pointed out, it's also the core of Captain America's first film. Cap didn't become as noble and self-sacrificing as he was because of the serum. He got the serum because that was who he was to begin with. Cap.Marvel got her powers because she volunteered for a mission to help save lives, and destroyed the engine knowing it could kill her because it was the right thing to do. She got her powers through her heroism, and it's her powers and her own internal heroism that enable her to be who she always was.

I agree with this to an extent but for
    Cap i believe he had to earn his powers and be the good man but he also had to learn that war wasn't a fairytale and there were consequences of getting involved. So yes while he stayed the same he had very challenging moments that for the wrong person could have sent him on the wrong path.

I also think that from what we have seen in the MCU they never leave the heroes journey to one film. Iron man for example changed in the first and then again in Iron man 3 leading up to civil war. So Captain Marvel still has time for a more significant story to be told to show her character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

George R.R. Martin Says Captain Marvel Could Eat Iron Man for Lunch and Have Thor for Dessert
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/george-r-r-martin-says-captain-marvel-could-eat-iron-m-1833385775
    Captain Marvel has a lot of fans. Now, you can count Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin among them.

Martin recently took time out of his Winds of Winter writing (hopefully) to check out the latest film from Marvel Studios, and then posted about it on his blog:
    The movie is hugely entertaining. I look forward to seeing how the Marvel teams uses the captain in the forthcoming Avengers movie. Once she comes fully into her powers, she is far and away the most powerful character in the MCU. She could eat Iron Man for lunch and have Thor for dessert, with a side of Dr. Strange.
    Thanos is in trouble now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'll take his word for it given he's more versed than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Heck, the entire sequel is basically about Quill learning that in his rush to reconnect with his 'true' father, he nearly missed realising he already had one, however unconventional he was (Yondu). As the man himself says, 'he may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your Daddy'.

He remains a bit of a man-child, but it can't be said the films don't give him some ability to grow.

The movie takes place over like 3 days. How much growth are you expecting, and when did she recover from amnesia? I thought she just knew she can't fully remember but I don't think she became Carol again.

I do think they need to show a new side of her in end game and future movies. She will have had time as herself, pursuing her goals and ideals, to form who she really is. I don't think we have been given a proper character yet. We haven't had the time with a person knowing who she is yet. Which is a problem with the movie.

Also, I'd say that yondu stuff was completely unearned or built within the movies. Some stupid lines between them didn't do it.

If anything I'd say it was his rush to connect with family that he didn't see the family he had with the guardians. Yondu had f all earned beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen it last night, a solid 6.5/10 comic book movie for me.

It sets up why and how she got her powers and showed a bit of the early Fury/Coulson relationship and why Fury trusts him so much.

Its probably the weakest origin movie in the franchise and it would run IM 3 and Thor 2 close for the poorest movies Marvel have made so far but its not all that bad.

Theres a few things im not entirely sure about but the most obvious one comes from the mid credit scene that might be explained in Endgame
    How did the remaining Earth bound Avengers come across the pager Fury had for Marvel before he was dusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theres a few things im not entirely sure about but the most obvious one comes from the mid credit scene that might be explained in Endgame
    How did the remaining Earth bound Avengers come across the pager Fury had for Marvel before he was dusted?

Presumably
    they were able to find it given it was lying beside his car and manbag?

Scanning for weird signals leaving the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I think the main issue with this film is that while it was admirable to come at the origin story from a different angle, glossing over some of the typical tropes meant that it was hard to relate to Carol Danvers as a character.

It was ambitious for them to gloss over the crucial milestones in her upbringing; karaoke, box car racing etc... by using memory search flashbacks. The problem is that it doesn't give the audience any meat to hook onto. Some of those scenes needed to be expanded on. I appreciate the attempt to avoid what would most likely have been pretty cliché, but a mainstream audience needs some of that.

Also, the way she just remembered things without any ceremony. Like when she remembered her nickname for the little girl. They chose not to have a 'moment of realisation' cliché and instead just drop the line without warning.

Appreciate the attempt of subverting expectations but not sure it quite worked. It's a midtable MCU entry imo.

I did enjoy it though and i'm going to see it again tonight with the Mrs.

• Advertisement

Ya, it could be something as simple as a tracker on his car or as suggested, signal projecting throughout the galaxy that they've relayed, Banner is still around too so some of their advanced tech will still be operational or at least serviceable with him on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Presumably as a senior officer in whatever SHIELD is called now, when he vanished other agents would have gone straight to his car to try to find him.

Have seen Cap Marvel twice now and I still think it's great. Much more interesting than all the other origin stories that clone the Iron Man template and in the top half of MCU films for me overall.

One thing I was fearful of is how powerful they were going to make Carol, in the end she was still coming to terms with her power.
    but at a whim, she was able to destroy giant Kree ships, on the other hand she was still "challeneged" by Yonrogg, Minerva and her Kree companions.

It'll be interesting to see what shes learned in about 2 decades since leaving Earth and how she can control her power and if in the mean time, she had any back story with the Kree/Skrull that they might touch on in Endgame to fill in the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm pretty sure this is the first marvel film (in the current marvel verse), that i genuinely just didnt like. I like Brie Larson, but she was terrible for this, im not sure if its just being void of emotion is Danvers thing, but its just i felt she was on auto pilot and added nothing to any of her scenes..

The whole movie just felt all over the place, it was also void of any charm or comedic wit, I barely laughed during the whole movie, Maybe some at Mendolsohns character, I'm usually chuckling away during these movies, not this time :(

Nick fury was also terrible, he looked great, but any movement he made in the movie just looked wrong, standing up after petting the cat for instance, holding his knee to help himself get up, he just looks like old man jackson!

And the whole
    cat
    thing was woeful, like i was watching an episode of scooby doo when they started going off with that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

It was as "meh" a marvel film as I've seen. I'd be a big fan of them in general and the only two I didn't really like were thor 2 and iron man 2. But there area a few very average ones - hulk, gotg 2, avengers 2, doctor strange. And this was at the lower end of that pile for me.

I really liked the main skrull - I found him very funny. Young fury was decent. I didn't love the cat, the kree were alright as baddies. Annette benning was utterly wasted. The action was decent, but there was never any real feeling of peril. Ronan just arrived at the end, fired a few nukes, captain marvel blew them up and that was that. I think the biggest problem though was at captain marvel was boring. I wouldn't blame bree larson for it, but the character just wasn't as much fun as thor or iron man or captain America. I'd say she'll be fine in an ensemble cast, but for a standalone film she's not great.

I think she needs peers to bounce off of for humour? Like noone in this movie could touch her, even before she were super saiyan. Maybe having a hulk or thor or thanos around will make the character a little more substantial and offer juxtaposition to her awesome power?

I was sitting there going 'she is more powerful than this' so there weren't stakes.

God it was pointed out to me here the other day and the more i think about it the more obvious it is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Yeah, the Deus Ex Feline was a bit rubbish (but seems to be a lot of people's favourite part of the movie). There was the possibility of a Winter Soldier level movie in here (soldier finds out that the people she's been fighting are basically being ethnically cleansed) but they didn't even try for it.

Actually Black Mirror did a similar story line with a soldier being brainwashed through tech to wipe out a people.

Obviously a different tone to the MCU, but an example of where the bait and switch left you with actual emotional impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Its probably the weakest origin movie in the franchise and it would run IM 3 and Thor 2 close for the poorest movies Marvel have made so far but its not all that bad.

I presume you meant IM2 that was frogsh*t bad?

I thought IM3 was not amazing but quite enjoyable

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I presume you meant IM2 that was frogsh*t bad?

I thought IM3 was not amazing but quite enjoyable

I think both were poor but had far less time for IM3, that could be because it was the next film after Avengers and it just felt very flat because of it.

Advertisement