Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Effects wrote: »
    I think it just had a kind of sharp taste that I generally don't like in some porters/stouts that I've had.

Fascinating.

Didn't find it sharp at all.

I wonder if a month sans-booze has messed my taste buds up. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'll have to get another one now, to confirm!

Effects wrote: »
    I'll have to get another one now, to confirm!
    For science!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've probably mentioned it before but Land an Labour cuvée LL is an absolute cracker.
    Pricy but worth it, IMO.

If you are a Lambic fan, do try it!

I've probably mentioned it before but Land an Labour cuvée LL is an absolute cracker.
    Pricy but worth it, IMO.

If you are a Lambic fan, do try it!

It has been mentioned before and I completely forgot to follow up on it.

As a lambic fan this will definitely go down well...

Pointers to where it's at?

Everywhere I had checked bar the Blue Goat had it sold out.

• Advertisement

It has been mentioned before and I completely forgot to follow up on it.

As a lambic fan this will definitely go down well...

Pointers to where it's at?

Everywhere I had checked bar the Blue Goat had it sold out.

I got it in Bradley's. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Any pastry stout fans about?

Had the new collaboration between Wicklow Wolf and Lough Gill, it’s called “Ocean of Storms” and is a salted caramel and Oreo flavoured imperial stout.

I absolutely loved it. Really really good and up there as a top class beer. Highly recommend (if pastry stouts are your thing).

Only bought one in the shop the other day but will pop back in to get more.

For me it depends on the individual stout, lough gill and Wicklow wolf are bulletproof. Would love to know where you found it so I can have a look myself.

Speaking of LG, I finally got a hold of chuckee larmz. Absolutely delicious, I can't wait to get some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This is more like what beer am I NOT drinking this week. Picked up a few beers over the weekend in Molloys and left whatever I was planning to drink next weekend in the bag in my home office. Working away today and all of a sudden I hear a pop, took me a while to figure out a can of Stone Barrell Short Change nano ipa had burst. Room now stinks with alcohol soaked in to the carpet. Short changed indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This is more like what beer am I NOT drinking this week. Picked up a few beers over the weekend in Molloys and left whatever I was planning to drink next weekend in the bag in my home office. Working away today and all of a sudden I hear a pop, took me a while to figure out a can of Stone Barrell Short Change nano ipa had burst. Room now stinks with alcohol soaked in to the carpet. Short changed indeed

How on earth did the can fail like that? :confused:

Might be worth getting on to Stone Barrel / Third Barrell / Third Circle / whatever-the-heck-third-barrel-circle-they-are to let them know. Could it be an issue with the batch of cans they used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah get onto them on the social, they'll usually send out a few freebies.

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    How on earth did the can fail like that? :confused:

Might be worth getting on to Stone Barrel / Third Barrell / Third Circle / whatever-the-heck-third-barrel-circle-they-are to let them know. Could it be an issue with the batch of cans they used?

Yeah it's a weird one, never seen a can explode like this. Maybe the lads in Molloys were playing football with it in the stock room. Kind of glad it didn't happen in the fridge, pregnant wife wouldn't have been impressed with all the food smelling/tasting like alcohol. I messaged them on twitter, will see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How hot was the room, looks like re-fermentation happened which is stranger with that abv. The beer itself I see was released in May 2020. Maybe storage issues but it shouldn't pop if it's from back then.

RasTa wrote: »
    How hot was the room, looks like re-fermentation happened which is stranger with that abv. The beer itself I see was released in May 2020. Maybe storage issues but it shouldn't pop if it's from back then.

Normal temp in the room, we've air to water heat pump so house is constant 21ish degrees 24/7. The bbd on it was May 21 so you're right about it being brewed and canned around May 20. I like lower abv beers and usually find them more carbonated than 4%+ beers so maybes that's something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

For me it depends on the individual stout, lough gill and Wicklow wolf are bulletproof. Would love to know where you found it so I can have a look myself.

Speaking of LG, I finally got a hold of chuckee larmz. Absolutely delicious, I can't wait to get some more.

Got it in Pettitts in Wexford town. Will be heading back to buy them out of it next time I’m there. Was really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw I had "Short Change" before Christmas and it was very lively on opening, and that was from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

O'Briens in the Parkway in Limerick has KBS in stock at the moment. I swung by today to get some Scraggy and spotted it on the shelf. My first time ever seeing it in there.
    Around 5/6 left after me I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Any good Kolschs about?
    Have very good memories from a few days in cologne back in the day but as with all beers on holiday not sure if it was the beer itself or the combo of sun, schnitzel, good times plus kolsch
    In my mind still the most refreshing beers I’ve ever had

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They never seem as good here but Früh kolsch is usually knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭French Toast

Long time browser of the thread, first time poster here. I'm a stout drinker and decided to jump in with both feet. I left an order of 15 cans or so with CraftCentral.ie in the small hours last night, an entirely random mix of all sorts, and got a notification at 9am to say it was shipped. Quick turnaround!

Looking forward to passing on my unqualified opinions here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CraftCentral pretty much always get stuff out next day/same day up to ~2pm

Few weeks ago I ordered 24 fairly random cans after 2, had to get in touch to correct as google autocomplete deleted the street part of my address; and it still arrived next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

CraftCentral & DPD have been a next-to-faultless experience throughout the last couple of months. Very much value DPD's one hour window estimate. Always next day delivery, provided you get in by CraftCentral's cut off. UPS (who Whiplash and some others use) can be hit or miss.

Got it in Pettitts in Wexford town. Will be heading back to buy them out of it next time I’m there. Was really really good.

Mr Petitt strikes again! I've only gotten as far as pettitt's in Gorey and I was happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Perlenbacher pils from lidl.

Had a brewdog paradox grains last night.
    A nice barrel aged stout definitely but nothing to set out from the crowd and justify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭French Toast

My order arrived today. Here it is:

Siren - Barrel Aged Caribbean Chocolate Cake stout
    Siren - Caribbean Chocolate Pancake Stack stout
    Wild Beer - Trillionaire Imperial Stout
    Ballykilcavan - Clancy's Cans #3 Tiramisu Dessert Stout
    Ballykilcavan - Clancy's Cans #4 Walnut Whip Stout
    The White Hag - Salted Caramel The Dark Druid Pastry Stout
    The White Hag - Black Boar - Imperial Oatmeal Stout
    Galway Bay - Buried At Sea Milk Stout
    BRÚ - Panda Nero Tiramisu Dessert Stout
    The White Hag - Coconut The Dark Druid Pastry Stout
    Oskar Blues - Death By Coconut Porter × 2
    The White Hag - Cauldron Of Plenty Oatmeal Porter
    Kinnegar - Yannaroddy Porter
    Trouble Brewing - Dark Arts Porter

I have always been a stout drinker - Murphy's is my favourite. I have never tasted anything outside the main 3 Irish options and didn't do any great deal of research, just picked what was on sale or seemed interesting.

The brother happened to be here when the order arrived so we shared one of the Death by Coconuts, really enjoyed it :) it was a novelty to have something different!

Anyone have any comments on what I should expect from the above? Will probably watch the Superbowl and sample a few then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've had all the Irish ones except for the White Hags, and brought more of all I think. I wouldn't even compare to big brew nitro tbh, and the dessert/ pastry stouts are very individual. Dark Arts and Yannaroddy are low abv bankers for me personally.

One thing I would say is you want to drink them at warmer than fridge temp to fully appreciate them. I normally take first one out at least an hour before drinking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Start with the Dark Arts. It won't taste of anything if you drink it after all the sugar bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yannaroddy would be a good way to start of your starting out on the stout journey, different enough from the main 3 to nudge on the interest and easy enough to drink.
    And 100% take them out of the fridge an hour before you pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭flended12

Enjoyable

• Advertisement

Anyone have any comments on what I should expect from the above?

Tooth decay.

Advertisement