Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

I've wondered for a few years now why there wasn't any Irish coffee stouts.
    We've had coffee stout, whisky barrel stout, lactose sout. Amazed it took this long for it to happen.

Rascals did one before.

https://rascalsbrewing.com/beers/irish-coffee-stout/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would have thought an "Irish Coffee" stout would have needed lactose in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

We've had coffee stout, whisky barrel stout, lactose sout. Amazed it took this long for it to happen.
    Galway Hooker had their Irish Coffee Porter at the Franciscan Well Easter Festival in 2008. Just because you aren't paying attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's Christmas week, so I'm having another special one tonight. Boulevardier, a barrel aged barley wine from Galway Bay and a Polish collaborator, Browar Stu Mostów. 13% abv, aged in bourbon and vermouth barrels. First few sips are beautiful!

I finished off a series of running challenges today so I'm celebrating that too. Managed to set new PBs for myself at 5k, 8k, 10k and Half Marathon distances over the last few weeks and dropped nearly half a stone in weight along the way.

Undoing some of that good work in style now with the feet up and the football on the telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Has anyone seen Alska Passionfruit cider recently in any shops in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Bought some barrel aged Fatal Deviation today. At €15 a can it better be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Galway Hooker had their Irish Coffee Porter at the Franciscan Well Easter Festival in 2008. Just because you aren't paying attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Well, let's say that I'm surprised that it hasn't become a big thing with annual releases that people get really excited about.
    It sounds like something that the Irish market would love like the Truffle stout and the whiskey barrel stouts every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Well, let's say that I'm surprised that it hasn't become a big thing with annual releases that people get really excited about.
    It sounds like something that the Irish market would love like the Truffle stout and the whiskey barrel stouts every year.

I can't say I've tried any but I would imagine if they were good there would have been a demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

Saw this one in our local SV today, anyone has sampled this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Debub wrote: »
    Thanks

Yip, it’s light with a nice bit of bitterness to it. Juicy looking appearance. Well worth sampling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a fairly ordinary murky pale ale. Nothing special, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks

Had one back in May and really liked it. You should probably check the date before purchase to make sure it hasn't been sitting on the shelf all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Alska Passionfruit cider recently in any shops in Dublin?

Martin's stock Alska, see https://martinsofflicence.ie/products/alska-passion-fruit-apple-cider?_pos=2&_sid=23a0f964a&_ss=r

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

CiaranMT wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    I actually noticed that earlier this evening.
    Will pop in tomorrow to get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Given the local has been open I have stalled somewhat with the Advent opening and tracking. Still haven't opened days 15-22, but I'll have ample time over the next week now that I'm not likely to be travelling down to the in laws for Christmas.

536952.jpeg

Day 9: Mikkeller Resting Brew Face Imperial New England Style IPA (9.0%) A fairly hefty one this. But given, it seems I'm going nowhere for the foreseeable, I will be indulging this one this week with some gusto.
    Day 10: Mikkeller Xmas Wish Gluten Free IPA (5.5%)
    Day 11: Mikkeller Spontanacai Sour Ale (7.7%) This is a sour ale brewed with Acai and ages in Oak Barrels. Again, I'm a sucker for sour ales so this is definitely going into the special occasion pile.
    Day 12: Mikkeller Kaffestout (6%) Another one I am very much looking forward to. will go nicely paired with one of the Galway Bay specials.
    Day 13: Verdant Combined Whimsy Pale Ale (4.7%)
    Day 14: Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin Belgian Wild Ale (9%) Another hefty one, but again Mikkeller coming up trumps with a Belgian wild ale aged in Chardonnay Barrels. This one will be kept up. Can't see how I'm going to fit it in given I still have days 15-22 to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was always something I wondered as well, especially as a lover of coffee and stout...

And as luck would have it, Mikkeller left one in the Advent calendar for me. See post above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Was in my local Polish shop earlier and they have a range of Eastern European beers for sale, just wondering if there's anything worth looking out for that may not be in the regular shops?

Was in my local Polish shop earlier and they have a range of Eastern European beers for sale, just wondering if there's anything worth looking out for that may not be in the regular shops?

Generally no. My FIL who’s Eastern European always brings something around each time he visits and I’m rarely impressed with any of them. The lagers are just motr fare, although I do have a fondness for Švyturus Ektras, but that’s more from being a holiday beer to me. The darker ales are generally on the sweet malty side and remind me of Kvass. That said, he did get me a strong blonde ale a while back 14%!!!) that I really liked. Can’t think of the name though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Polish craft beer tends to be decent. Polish lager tends to be awful.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had a sneak peek at Day 24 in the Mother Mac's advent box today (had to get the box ready for the recycling collection tomorrow morning) and I have to say they did a hell of a job with this collection. Great variety from all around Ireland. Lots of stouts and porters but a decent mix of others in there too.

Picked up a growler of Kinnegar's whiskey barrel conditioned red rye ale for tonight/tomorrow. Good times ahead.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Polish craft beer tends to be decent. Polish lager tends to be awful.

You generally won’t get the Craft stuff in Polish shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I had a sneak peek at Day 24 in the Mother Mac's advent box today (had to get the box ready for the recycling collection tomorrow morning) and I have to say they did a hell of a job with this collection. Great variety from all around Ireland. Lots of stouts and porters but a decent mix of others in there too.

Picked up a growler of Kinnegar's whiskey barrel conditioned red rye ale for tonight/tomorrow. Good times ahead.

Overall brilliant apart from the odd dud - specifically The White Hag offerings (including today's monstrosity)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

Ok lads, 2020 was a complete s*** show, but for the lads in ballymote - your pastry series didnt hit the bar at all. Mexican hot chocolate is almost like a dr pepper.

Stick to your fab beers and collabs.

Do what you do best. Leave the pastries to bakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

Had this before. Not sure how crafty but a 2litre glass jug of it was on special for €4.50 and it was very drinkable in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't like the dark druid series.

Has anyone seen any brewdog hoppy Xmas yet this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Tonight's went straight down the sink, picked up that Kinnegar as well, some Ambush and Scraggy to get me over the few days.
    Won a hamper from them, 2 western herd and. A Dupont, very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Kinnegar Flying Saucer foreign export stout, 7.7%

440ml can, three for 10 euro

Easy to drink
    no taste of strong alcohol
    sweet
    feels different to the Guinness FES, not as "treacly"?

Overall, I prefer Guinness FES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I opened mine this morning and to say I'm excited is an understatement! Finally have that "kid on Christmas Eve" feeling again after all these years :D

I opened mine this morning and to say I'm excited is an understatement! Finally have that "kid on Christmas Eve" feeling again after all these years :D

It's a hell of a feeling! :D They nailed it this winter, not just with the box but with the growler suppliers and the whiskeys as well.

On that note, I want to copy something I saw in the Whiskey thread and wish everyone here a happy Christmas. I've spent far more money on great beers than I should have because of all you fine folks and the suggestions ye keep sharing here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads is it Aldi or Lidl that have an award winning craft beer

Advertisement