Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lads is it Aldi or Lidl that have an award winning craft beer

Eh... Lidl?

Screenshot-20201224-140759-Facebook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you’re buying beers based on the “awards” that they’ve won you’re probably going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's Christmas Eve so I'm drinking with abandon in the afternoon. Specifically Ballykilcavan Tiramisu Dessert Stout. Never had any of their beers before, and the best I can say about this is it's fine. Nothing special about it for a coffee imperial stout, but labeling it as a tiramisu stout is stretching it a bit. It's far too bitter and the coffee too strong for something I'd expect to have a bit of sweetness and creaminess like an actual tiramisu. I'd drink it again if I was given one, but I wouldn't go looking for another myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Zaph wrote: »
    It's Christmas Eve so I'm drinking with abandon in the afternoon. Specifically Ballykilcavan Tiramisu Dessert Stout. Never had any of their beers before, and the best I can say about this is it's fine. Nothing special about it for a coffee imperial stout, but labeling it as a tiramisu stout is stretching it a bit. It's far too bitter and the coffee too strong for something I'd expect to have a bit of sweetness and creaminess like an actual tiramisu. I'd drink it again if I was given one, but I wouldn't go looking for another myself.

Disappointed to hear that. Was saving one for after dinner tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irish_goat wrote: »
    Polish craft beer tends to be decent. Polish lager tends to be awful.

Lomza or Tomza or whatever you call it is pretty good. I used to like Tyskie too, until they changed the recipe and lowered the ABV...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If you’re buying beers based on the “awards” that they’ve won you’re probably going to be disappointed.

I was very impressed with the Crafty boxes from Lidl though, even the styles that I'm not usually so fond of.

Aldi - well I've already said what I think of their craft offerings!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Lomza or Tomza or whatever you call it is pretty good. I used to like Tyskie too, until they changed the recipe and lowered the ABV...

The tyskie is some different stuff canned by C&C now isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Omnipollo - BA Mam Mut Imperial Stout.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Galway Hooker had their Irish Coffee Porter at the Franciscan Well Easter Festival in 2008. Just because you aren't paying attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Shots fired! :pac:

House is cleaned and tidied, turkey stuffed and prepped in the fridge, I poured myself a nice Redbreast earlier and now I'm trying the Boulevardier I picked up a few weeks back. Think I chilled it too much. Also it could do with more carbonation. Nice though.

13% so this is definitely a sipper!

Hope everyone has a happy and safe Christmas and enjoys some fine tipples :)

I've got a barrel aged Leann Follain to look forward to after dinner tomorrow :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Having a porterhouse around the clock. Very very boozy, massive whiskey flavours and smells. Body is a little on the thin side probably because of the 12% abv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Cracking open white hag egg nog ale.
    Another stinker in a line of disappointments from the lads in WH this winter.

A generic ale with a sort of synthetic, sickly sweet cóla taste. It's fit for the sink but I think I can suffer through it.

I've been pretty much off the booze for the last two years, but I'm about to crack open a bottle of Augustiner Edelstoff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Treaty City. Seige 1690 Extra Strong Stout. I believe they aged it in barrels from Thomond Gate Whiskey this year. No carbonation in my bottle, but powerful flavours from the uisce beatha. I thought I would drink it all tonight but now I'll be saving some for tomorrow!

A hearty, happy Limerick Christmas to ye. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Having recently been negative about 8degrees, I'm really enjoying a can of Full Irish.
    Ticks lots of boxes.

In other recent skirmishes away from a steady diet of Kinnegar I also enjoyed Third Circle Centurion. Great straight up stouts around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

On to a barrel aged leann follain. Nicer beer for me than the above porterhouse beer. The whiskey notes aren't as strong but it has those lovely vanilla and chocolate flavours that the regular leann follain has.

Treaty City. Seige 1690 Extra Strong Stout. I believe they aged it in barrels from Thomond Gate Whiskey this year. No carbonation in my bottle, but powerful flavours from the uisce beatha. I thought I would drink it all tonight but now I'll be saving some for tomorrow!

A hearty, happy Limerick Christmas to ye. :cool:

Was that the last beer in your advent calendar? If so, by the sounds of it it was definitely one worth getting this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zaph wrote: »
    Was that the last beer in your advent calendar? If so, by the sounds of it it was definitely one worth getting this year.

It was actually the Porterhouse special, Around the Clock, that finished off the calendar. I thought I was after missing out on it when it sold out everywhere! Treaty City's other limited edition/barrel-aged beer, a red ale, did appear in the box earlier this month. That one was really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've been pretty much off the booze for the last two years, but I'm about to crack open a bottle of Augustiner Edelstoff.

If you're going to start drinking again at least you picked a world class beer, prost!

If you're going to start drinking again at least you picked a world class beer, prost!

Rounding off the night with a third barrel salted peanut chocolate milk stout.
    Fairly mild but hits the mark, lots of salted peanuts and chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

nearly time to crack open the annual christmas day 200 fathoms or two

• Advertisement

Today is otterbank day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Cracking open white hag egg nog ale.
    Another stinker in a line of disappointments from the lads in WH this winter.

A generic ale with a sort of synthetic, sickly sweet cóla taste. It's fit for the sink but I think I can suffer through it.

I didn't mind a lot of the WH efforts as much as some people but that egg nog ale was a true abomination.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Had an O'Hara's Barrell aged Leann Follain last night. Have to say I was very impressed. Very tasty indeed

Also had a Fatal Deviation from Whiplash, not as impressed by this and at €15 a can I won't be rushing back for more. I do still have one more can lying around though.

Today I have the 200 fathoms box so will see how that goes.

Mine will come at the close of the day. With driving for visits and such I have to wait and with that stuff, it'll be worth it.

It was actually the Porterhouse special, Around the Clock, that finished off the calendar. I thought I was after missing out on it when it sold out everywhere!

Aaaaaaand I'm delighted I got to try it. Enjoyed it opening my presents with the family, and the Porterhouse snifter glass got a few funny looks as well. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Acosta

As it's christmas I've got a few Augustiner beers in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wicklow Brewing Barell Aged Stout is fairly fantastic. Also candle wax sealing was invented by the Devil.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Wicklow Brewing Barell Aged Stout is fairly fantastic. Also candle wax sealing was invented by the Devil.

Breweries really need to stop that.

Got my last 2016 bottle ready for later, to be followed by a 2016 KBS. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The Porterhouse special is a thing of beauty, best of the box.

Advertisement