Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what’s a good mix of beers for a beginner to try? I don’t really like very strong beer. My favourite is Lomza non pasteurised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My local brewery is gone from beer in a box to one of those kegs. However it comes with live yeast and you need to vent.

Get it into my veins

https://trackbrewing.co/collections/beer/products/copy-of-5l-sonoma-bag-in-box-manchester-surrounding-areas-only-pre-order

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lads what’s a good mix of beers for a beginner to try?
    Tough question. Go to wherever near you has a good selection of beers and pick what looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »
    Glen of Imaal wasn't as nice as I was expecting, which was entirely based on GBB Goodbye Blue Monday.

There are recent untappd's for it; but one mentions a 2019 BBE - anyone know if there is going to be a run this year?

I was completely the same, only had GBB in my head and that did not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Macy0161 wrote: »
    How was the stout?

I haven't been in Aldi during sales times since lockdown, so have missed the rebranding. I'd rate most of the O'Hara's range, but the O'Shea's has never been close. I'm a big fan of the Crafty range in lidl - great vfm, the Stout inparticular but I also rate the Red.

It felt a little drier than the last time I tried it, but a bit more dusty chocolate, but still a little thin and not close enough to the Crafty Stout, which has a lot more mouthfeel with much more coffee and slightly charred chocolate notes.

The Crafty American Wheat Ale is also great, big wafts of pineapple from it.

If I was to recommend another Aldi Beer for the warm weather I'd recommend the Rheinbacher wheat beer (might seem like an oxymoron but its not!), a little lighter than the popular what beer breweries but really decent for the price and a real quaffer, compared to Lidls perlenbacher wheat beer, which is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I was completely the same, only had GBB in my head and that did not end well.

+1.
    I couldn't finish it, it was polluted with an overpowering synthetic sweetness thy didn't fit the profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Lads what’s a good mix of beers for a beginner to try? I don’t really like very strong beer. My favourite is Lomza non pasteurised.

I would explore craft beers in the style you like at the moment and expand from there.

For me, Guinness was the first pints I had. So, I tried craft stouts. Then I did an Erasmus in Belgium and moved onto their mass lagers (Stella et al) but also was able to try a huge variety of beers - Trappist ales, Belgian ales, wheat beers... So I brought that back to Ireland when looking for beers. Now I am exploring IPA styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beanstalk wrote: »
    It felt a little drier than the last time I tried it, but a bit more dusty chocolate, but still a little thin and not close enough to the Crafty Stout, which has a lot more mouthfeel with much more coffee and slightly charred chocolate notes.

The Crafty American Wheat Ale is also great, big wafts of pineapple from it.
    Disappointing, given the Stouts they offer under the O'Hara's branding. I'm not weiss fan tbh. I like the Crafty American Brown too though. There's normally someone in Lidl during beer times, our Aldi family shop has moved to the morning.

Anyway, still working my way through a box of St Mels (now there's a Brown!), an O'Hara's box arrived yesterday, and a 12 Acres beercloud order is in transit. I think I'm covered this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Pity that. Change of business model or the beer just not selling? They have a distillery too don’t they?

Lobbed all the cash into the distillery had to pull the plug on the brewery..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

I have been trying out some trappist beers recently, and got 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze by mistake (I thought I was getting Tre Fontaine). Pleasantly surprised- it’s a beautifully crisp and tasty beer, though maybe a bit sour for some.

• Advertisement

Subbuteo wrote: »
    I have been trying out some trappist beers recently, and got 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze by mistake (I thought I was getting Tre Fontaine). Pleasantly surprised- it’s a beautifully crisp and tasty beer, though maybe a bit sour for some.

Haven't seen Tre Fontaine on offer anywhere. Have you spotted it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Welcome to the world of Lambic beers and sour beer, generally.
    A happy accident, I'd say!

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Haven't seen Tre Fontaine on offer anywhere. Have you spotted it somewhere?

Not yet unfortunately. I’m based in London- Orval, westmalle, la trappe, chimay, rochefort, aschel are all available here. I’ve yet to see spencer, trefontaine or gregorious

Welcome to the world of Lambic beers and sour beer, generally.
    A happy accident, I'd say!

Defo- to my mind it’s actually much better than the Trappists

Not yet unfortunately. I’m based in London- Orval, westmalle, la trappe, chimay, rochefort, aschel are all available here. I’ve yet to see spencer, trefontaine or gregorious

Ah - ok! And much the same available to me also. No sign of Spencer, Trefontaine or Gregorious locally. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Defo- to my mind it’s actually much better than the Trappists

While my taste certainly veers on the sour side, some of the Trappist beers are wonderful.
    Orval is possibly my favourite beer ever.

Spencer does occasionally show up in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You might come across Tynt Meadow, the English Trappist brewery.

While my taste certainly veers on the sour side, some of the Trappist beers are wonderful.
    Orval is possibly my favourite beer ever.

I regretted saying 3 fonteinen was ‘better’ the moment i posted! More complex might be the correct way to put it. Orval is nice, and I love the bottle design, though my current favourites from the bunch would be the La Trappe Blonde and the Chimay Blue.

irish_goat wrote: »
    You might come across Tynt Meadow, the English Trappist brewery.

They’re new enough aren’t they? The belgian beer company have it in stock, might make an order. Thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They’re new enough aren’t they? The belgian beer company have it in stock, might make an order. Thanks for the tip

Got Trappist status in 2018 yeah. Not had it myself though but it seems to get reviews online.

I thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,150 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Untapped gave me "We hope you're only sampling!" badge this evening after five different beers. Cheeky feckers. They were all sessionable.

Untapped gave me "We hope you're only sampling!" badge this evening after five different beers. Cheeky feckers. They were all sessionable.

Did anyone ever find out how to use the new feature that lets you add past beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,150 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did anyone ever find out how to use the new feature that lets you add past beers?

No - that would be quite useful for the numbers people have given here as I don't always remember to use it; and never did before it was recommended as a way to find pubs Google didn't know about in Iberia a few years ago.

No - that would be quite useful for the numbers people have given here as I don't always remember to use it; and never did before it was recommended as a way to find pubs Google didn't know about in Iberia a few years ago.

Apparently it was added recently that you can but for the life of me I can’t see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Having a can of Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury. It's a couple of years since I've had it and it doesn't seem to be the same. I remember it being a massive hoppy beer but this one is very like their Full Sail. Bit disappointing. Anyone know if it has changed or are my memories fading?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Perlenbacher Pilsner
    Brewed for Lidl, tis a fine drop

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I've picked up their trappist ale in indiebeer on Holloway Road previously, if thats anywhere near you in London

• Advertisement

I've picked up their trappist ale in indiebeer on Holloway Road previously, if thats anywhere near you in London

Nice one- i've some family over that way. Time to call in some favours!

Advertisement