Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football's most beautiful players to watch in past 20 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah he wildly overcarried two if not three times in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Yes majestic, he ran half a mile without ever hopping the ball, it should have been a free to the opposition; I guess Joe McQuillan was reffing that day with his Dublin Jersey on inside the black one.

There was plenty of other players you could add to that list without this dis-likable person.

Why is it so hard for you to focus on the only variable in question. Is Connolly a beautiful player to watch? You can despise him (from afar) and still recognise his brilliance. Letting hatred cloud objectivity is a sure sign of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah he wildly overcarried two if not three times in that one.

But it was beautiful to watch him over carry so gracefully :D

It's just an element of the modern game that players tend to over carry, especially when they're going full pelt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

What Troll added Diarmuid Connolly to this list? He will be remember for alot of things, none of which are positive and if I wrote what I really think of him I'd be breaking the charter.

Don't let your personal opinions cloud your judgement of him as a footballer. He's one of the best players to ever grace the game. That cannot be denied.

Sure I dislike him as a person aswell but am mature enough to realise he's a top class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PressRun wrote: »
    Ciaran McDonald was and is dead sound. It so happened he was also one of the flashiest lads to ever play football which seems to instantly turn people off him. People seemed to assume that there must have been an ego to go with the look and the style of play, which may be understandable, but really couldn't have been further from the truth. He might have had a difficult time with some Mayo fans over the years (I'm sure there are a good few inter-county stars in the country who, at some point or another, had a difficult relationship with some fans, especially in more rural parts where players and fans are likely to cross paths more frequently), but anyone I know has the utmost respect for him and would regard him as one of the best to ever wear the Mayo jersey. He's certainly the most naturally gifted footballer we've ever had, in my opinion. To say that he was a "laughing stock" in Mayo is utter garbage, tbh. The man is practically a Mayo legend.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. I think that interview on TV has put almost all of the begrudgers back in their box. There were quite a few Mayo folks who had formed their opinion about him, without ever meeting him. But when has was portrayed as a human being - shy and nervous on the TV, it struck a nerve with people. For some reason, we much prefer someone who is vulnerable that someone who is confident.

Anyway, I played footie with him at underage many moons ago. Fab guy back then. Never met him since. But he was quite reclusive back then, considering the level of attention he got, even at the tender age of 18. Will always be a hero of mine.

He would be number 1 for me as well. I don't care if he doesn't have an inter county All Ireland as he was technically brilliant. The problem with lots of people is that he has not won an inter county and therefore rule him down the peeking order. Others felt he should win a game on his own. He was part of Mayo squads that were good, but not good enough to win SAM. He may have been the difference if he decided to play for Mayo in 96 but that history. I am glad he has an All Ireland club medal as he deserves that at least.

McDonald is king in my eyes and if any kid wants a model player on the skills should be shown some of his games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Don't let your personal opinions cloud your judgement of him as a footballer. He's one of the best players to ever grace the game. That cannot be denied.

Sure I dislike him as a person aswell but am mature enough to realise he's a top class player.

Very good footballer capable of real brilliance but I'd disagree that he's one of the best ever. Has a tendency to go missing or do something stupid in big games. A bit overrated IMO. He seems to have a big fan club so I doubt people will agree but that's my take.

FalconGirl wrote: »

He's very far from being able to claim to be one of the best players to grace the game.

There's a legitimate argument to be made that he's the third best player in the Dublin half forward line.

He would need to have several more big games against big teams on big occasions before he'd be anywhere near the level of the likes of Bernard Brogan, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's very far from being able to claim to be one of the best players to grace the game.

There's a legitimate argument to be made that he's the third best player in the Dublin half forward line.

He would need to have several more big games against big teams on big occasions before he'd be anywhere near the level of the likes of Bernard Brogan, for example.

I think the performance that Connolly had in the all-Ireland club final has clouded things and has projected DC to God-like status. The media were all over that for weeks afterwards. And subsequently when he would produce a piece of magic on the pitch, it would be drooled over and claims of genius can be heard from the wavelengths stretched over our capital city. The fact that the majority of the time he seems anonymous in games is glossed over.

My own opinion is that DC has super football talent/skills etc. But he often seems in a dream-like trance on the pitch which seems to affect his ability to influence a game and just get stuck in.
    But getting back to the point of the thread – it’s not specifically about great players, but beautiful players to watch. And I love watching him play. Sometimes he may not do a lot in 70 mins, but you just know that he will do something a bit special, and on a good day, you might get that extra-special moment(s) from him. That creates more excitement for me than a player is hustling and bustling up and down the pitch – you know they are giving their best, but you know exactly what you will get from them – the Brian Doohers, Donnacha Walshs, etc. And I’m not belittling these type of players. These players are very important for success.

Totally agree with that assessment, and also that he has business being mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mickeyk wrote: »
    Very good footballer capable of real brilliance but I'd disagree that he's one of the best ever. Has a tendency to go missing or do something stupid in big games. A bit overrated IMO. He seems to have a big fan club so I doubt people will agree but that's my take.

I'm a Dub and even I have to agree with that. (I'd be lynched if I said it in the Dublin thread though.) He is an outrageously talented player, but his talent is not commensurate with his ability or willingness, to influence the outcome of a game, when the stakes are at their highest.

If I was asked to rate the best Dublin players, in terms of raw skill, he would definitely be in my Top Five. If I was asked to rate most important players for the Dubs, on their current run of success since 2011, he would not be in my Top Five. He may not even be in the Top Ten.

.....exits stage left to the Federal Witness Protection Program....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm a Dub and even I have to agree with that. (I'd be lynched if I said it in the Dublin thread though.) He is an outrageously talented player, but his talent is not commensurate with his ability or willingness, to influence the outcome of a game, when the stakes are at their highest.

If I was asked to rate the best Dublin players, in terms of raw skill, he would definitely be in my Top Five. If I was asked to rate most important players for the Dubs, on their current run of success since 2011, he would not be in my Top Five. He may not even be in the Top Ten.

.....exits stage left to the Federal Witness Protection Program....

No your right in everything you said. Every Dublin match I go to as soon as there s a scrap I'm waiting for Connelly to appear. He always seems to end up doing something petty but you overlook it mostly as a Dublin fan because on his day he can do amazing things!

On the subject of the thread watching Jayo emerge on the scene for Dublin back in the day was incredibly exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Connolly would be one of footballs most beautiful players for me which as has been said does not mean he is always a very effective player, but in the last 5 years he is definitely the player that has made me shake my head and go wow the most in particular in some of the club games v Ballymun one of the hardest tackling club teams I have ever seen.
    He has the best balance of a footballer that I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

I think the performance that Connolly had in the all-Ireland club final has clouded things and has projected DC to God-like status. The media were all over that for weeks afterwards. And subsequently when he would produce a piece of magic on the pitch, it would be drooled over and claims of genius can be heard from the wavelengths stretched over our capital city. The fact that the majority of the time he seems anonymous in games is glossed over.

My own opinion is that DC has super football talent/skills etc. But he often seems in a dream-like trance on the pitch which seems to affect his ability to influence a game and just get stuck in.
    But getting back to the point of the thread – it’s not specifically about great players, but beautiful players to watch. And I love watching him play. Sometimes he may not do a lot in 70 mins, but you just know that he will do something a bit special, and on a good day, you might get that extra-special moment(s) from him. That creates more excitement for me than a player is hustling and bustling up and down the pitch – you know they are giving their best, but you know exactly what you will get from them – the Brian Doohers, Donnacha Walshs, etc. And I’m not belittling these type of players. These players are very important for success.

Some of the points off both feet against Donegal in '14 were just amazing.

Re Brian Dooher-he may have been a bit of a water carrier in the first half of his career but from 03 onwards and particularly in 08 he was a brilliant player to watch, a master of the dummy solo and outside of the boot point, and this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rYuoE9n9g0

As fine a point as Ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Not many backs getting the accolades on this thread – so I’m going to throw in a mention for Aaron Kernan. Very stylish player. Beautiful left peg. He made it look so easy.

Speaking of defenders Declan Meehan was another class half back. Used to love watching him bomb forward. He could take a score too.

Marc o se was also very stylish and it's a pity he spent the majority of his inter county career out of position in the full back line. Seamus Moynihan also suffered the same fate. Was criminal to see him stuck at full back given what he could do further up the field.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I like the Galvins and Kilkenny type forwards.

Gooch wouldn't be a player that i love watching I recognise how good he is but like Connelly when he does do something they go on about it too much.
    That has a tendency to put people off players and ignore their ability. I'm guilty here, but so are others about others.

There's a few kerry players I'd have from that Kerry team ahead of Gooch. Much like the argument about Connelly in Dublin's half-forward line that Keane made (I agree here too, but neither Flynn or Kilkenny have his balance or ability off both feet, don't forget they are forwards after all, just possibly more likeable characters) Having said all that Connelly showed up when needed in the final last year again having had two poor games against Mayo. That was a big game he played well in so was the 2011 final, the 2013 final, as was his performance in the semi in 2014 and against Tyrone in 2010. He's played well against the top teams when needed suggestions to the contrary are a bit unfair imo.

Thing is with both of DC and CC is that they are on very good teams.
    Galvin made Kerry tick for years and was a joy to watch, he got up to tricks too but he's his own man. I don't think he was ever replaced and the current kerry forward line would operate far better with a prime Galvin than a prime Gooch imo.

I do think it's important for this category that a player can pass, have good balance, be accurate and win their own ball.

Ciaran McDonald was great to watch. Most famously against Dublin in that game, but thanks to TG4 I saw him score some serious goals/points for his club too.

John Heslin is imo a joy to watch. On top of being in good condition he's able to field the ball, be a leader, score from distance and pick out a great pass. He's well able for the necessary in a game. Philly McMahon got a stinging late dig in the ribs from him a couple of weeks ago, he probably deserved it. You'd watch Westmeath just to see him. He regularly looks like the best player on the pitch regardless of the score

graham geraghty was a joy to see watch, he dripped danger when on the move. When needed he'd win a breaking ball and glide past the opposition, do a one two and it seemed inevitable that he'd score in the box. A player for the big occasion.

JOD another gifted dangerous player like the others above the right man in the right position.

Don't forget the defenders. Karl Lacey you also pick up when he decides to drift in, he's fast, can get past players and has great vision, once again he's been in a good team that picked him out, but he has that dangerous air to him resulting from his abilities on the ball. Lee Keegan another defender with that feel to him. Jack McCaffery too. These lads follow the momentum of the game move with it all great to watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Colm Cooper is one of the best forwards ever but still wildly overrated because of the weird obsession with corner forwards that has existed in football forever. James O'Donoghue the same. In the 2014 AI final he was held scoreless and was outscored by his marker Neil McGee and yet won FOTY. What the hell is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Colm Cooper is one of the best forwards ever but still wildly overrated because of the weird obsession with corner forwards that has existed in football forever. James O'Donoghue the same. In the 2014 AI final he was held scoreless and was outscored by his marker Neil McGee and yet won FOTY. What the hell is that about?

Because he moved out to the forty and assisted his team mates and set up some phenominal scores and also allowing space inside for the first goal in the first few minutes of the game.

Colm Cooper was held scoreless against Cork in the Munster final two years ago and got man of the match for setting up practically every score. It's about overall play not just statistics.

http://www.the42.ie/james-odonoghues-best-bits-of-the-season-1744322-Oct2014/

Must have played in other games during the year that they took into account. You would have been doing well to pick any player based on that match.

JOD was out on his own in 2014 and was a marked man for that final. They actually took him out of the FF line as they knew he'd be wasted there given the treatment he would likely get. He was also carrying a shoulder injury going into the game iirc and had surgery afterwards. It's not surprising he had a quieter final, but he did more that year to decide the destination of the championship than anybody else and had POTY sewn up before the final regardless of the outcome.

Keeping with the theme of the thread he is a joy to watch, fast, strong, crazy accurate off both feet. When fit (which we haven't seen since 2014) he is the best forward in the game IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Sorry cant believe a few Sligo players were mentioned and not Eamon O Hara won an all star, scored one of the best goals in a Connaught final when everyone claimed he was past it. If you saw him play between 2000 and 2004 when they beat Tyrone and Armagh and were very unlucky not to go further than a quarter final. He made these pacey runs from midfield in so many games not a defender could get near him. As good a player as Mattie Forde and several others in that 20.

Maybe its because of his antics as a pundit on the Sunday game and people don't like him as an analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

JOD was out on his own in 2014 and was a marked man for that final. They actually took him out of the FF line as they knew he'd be wasted there given the treatment he would likely get. He was also carrying a shoulder injury going into the game iirc and had surgery afterwards. It's not surprising he had a quieter final, but he did more that year to decide the destination of the championship than anybody else and had POTY sewn up before the final regardless of the outcome.

Keeping with the theme of the thread he is a joy to watch, fast, strong, crazy accurate off both feet. When fit (which we haven't seen since 2014) he is the best forward in the game IMO.

I think I'd still have Conor McManus as the best forward in the game. Doesn't have thr luxury of playing for a Kerry or a Dublin, and as such is often the sole bearer of scoring responsibilities for Monaghan, Some of thr scores he gets are outrageous given how targeted he is and given he regularly plays against some of the most stifling defences in the country. I'd take him to Mayo in a heartbeat if there was a transfer market in GAA.

PressRun wrote: »
    I think I'd still have Conor McManus as the best forward in the game. Doesn't have thr luxury of playing for a Kerry or a Dublin, and as such is often the sole bearer of scoring responsibilities for Monaghan, Some of thr scores he gets are outrageous given how targeted he is and given he regularly plays against some of the most stifling defences in the country. I'd take him to Mayo in a heartbeat if there was a transfer market in GAA.

Yeah you're probably right. Michael Murphy is also up there although his form has slipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sorry cant believe a few Sligo players were mentioned and not Eamon O Hara won an all star, scored one of the best goals in a Connaught final when everyone claimed he was past it. If you saw him play between 2000 and 2004 when they beat Tyrone and Armagh and were very unlucky not to go further than a quarter final. He made these pacey runs from midfield in so many games not a defender could get near him. As good a player as Mattie Forde and several others in that 20.

Maybe its because of his antics as a pundit on the Sunday game and people don't like him as an analyst.

It could have something to do with his desire to punch people in the face at every opportunity that has people not calling him. I agree though, O'Hara was a top top player and one of those who would have walked into every team in the country at his peak.

Anyone said Sean Cavanagh yet? That shimmy and the outrageous points he scores must push him close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

O'Hara had immense skill but his personality on the pitch and in the media didn't make him the most likeable of characters.

Jamie Clarke and Mark Poland were both a joy watch when they were on top of their game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Maurice Fitzgerald made the game look easy. Everything he did looked effortless and he always seemed to have so much time on the ball. Steven O'Neill was in a similar mould. Of the defenders Marc Ó Sé strikes me as a player who could excel in any line on the field.

From my own county in the last 20 years Niall Buckley stands out. Serious loss to Kildare after 98 when he was in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My favorite Kildare player to watch was Dermot Earley. Beautiful fielder of a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

JOD was out on his own in 2014 ........but he did more that year to decide the destination of the championship than anybody else and had POTY sewn up before the final regardless of the outcome.

It's all opinion I know - but David Moran to me was the standout player for Kerry that year -

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It's all opinion I know - but David Moran to me was the standout player for Kerry that year -

The greatest robbery of a man of the match I think I have ever seen was O Donoghue getting it instead of him in the Mayo replay.

• Advertisement

There has been so much skullduggery involved in those MOTM selections over the last couple of years it's hilarious. Easy money for the lads.

Advertisement