Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football's most beautiful players to watch in past 20 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He scored two absolutely stupid points in a league semi/final (?) a few years back.

Ridiculous it was. He made a prick of the defender in the process too. You'd be in for some time of it having to mark the likes of him.

He had a habit of that. Possibly my favourite ever footballer. (Though Paul Flynn is close)

He scored a point in the GAA125 game against us that was from a stupid angle over at the Cusack Davin Corner. Unbelievable stuff.

To a man he got a standing ovation around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If there's any Derry forward that deserves inclusion, it's Paddy Bradley. Criminally under-rated as one of the best forwards of the last twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Criminally under-rated as one of the best forwards of the last twenty years.

But the list doesn't say its the best forwards of the last 20 years, its something like "the most beautiful players to watch". In that context I can understand why the likes of Muldoon are in there and why its mainly forwards listed.

Sure, Bradley was a better and more effective player, but Muldoon was a fantastic player to watch as he eased around the field. Same with McDonnell, he was a superb player but he was almost too efficient for a list like that, whereas O'Neill may have scored less but he did it with an effortless style that was amazing to watch.

I don't want to defend Joe.ie, people can disagree with their picks if they want, but perhaps they should check what they are actually disagreeing with first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Was it O'Brien who was in the same forward line as Colm O'Rourke and Tony McManus for UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

But the list doesn't say its the best forwards of the last 20 years, its something like "the most beautiful players to watch". In that context I can understand why the likes of Muldoon are in there and why its mainly forwards listed.

Good and all though Ja and Padraig Joyce were, Donnellan was the best and easiest to watch by far. So comfortably two-footed, where the other 2 were predominantly left', and so easy at carrying the ball flat out at pace, jinking left or right and scoring off either foot. Maybe the most physically consummate player of that era. Of the listed 10, I would rate only Gooch as an equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sure, Bradley was a better and more effective player, but Muldoon was a fantastic player to watch as he eased around the field. Same with McDonnell, he was a superb player but he was almost too efficient for a list like that, whereas O'Neill may have scored less but he did it with an effortless style that was amazing to watch.

I don't want to defend Joe.ie, people can disagree with their picks if they want, but perhaps they should check what they are actually disagreeing with first.

You're seriously trying to suggest that in any planet Muldoon was better to watch than Peter the God Canavan.

Also McDonnell should be in any man's top ten in that list. What a wonderful player to watch. The passing of that man is the best I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    You're seriously trying to suggest that in any planet Muldoon was better to watch than Peter the God Canavan.

No, I'm simply pointing out that fact that the list was never supposed to be a list of the best players of the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Its a joe.ie piece, not worthy of further discussion.

While I'll sound like a snob, I berate any friends who send me a link to a joe.ie / balls.ie / unilad article, pure clickbait crap.

No, I'm simply pointing out that fact that the list was never supposed to be a list of the best players of the past 20 years.

That's what I said, better to watch. Clearly we all already know Canavan was the best player ever so there's no need to discuss that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Its a joe.ie piece, not worthy of further discussion.

While I'll sound like a snob, I berate any friends who send me a link to a joe.ie / balls.ie / unilad article, pure clickbait crap.

Absolute cesspits of poor grammar and pointless articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

I'm with you on this one. Its not a list of the best players/forwards for the last 20yrs, its the most beautiful players to watch. For me the only ones on the list that would be dead certs with that criteria is Gooch, McDonald, and Maurice Fitz. Canavan and PJ have a case but while both were unbelievable footballers I wouldn't have described their movement as beautiful. Donnellan was the best solo runner I had ever seen up until recently but Shane Walsh is just poetry when you see him moving with the ball.

Giles while a beautiful striker of the ball off the ground wouldn't wow you with it in hand. Brogan has that languid style that's easy on the eye but I don't know about top 10. I'd need more time to think about it but I think there are some less obvious players to go on that list other than the top forwards that spring to everyone's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Tomás O Sé was a sight to behold bombing down the wing.

He moved well with the ball, as does Karl lacey. I still think there's another 5 better out there though.

threeball wrote: »
    He moved well with the ball, as does Karl lacey. I still think there's another 5 better out there though.

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Kieran McDonald is porobably the most aesthetically pleasing footballer in the history of the game.

His footpassing was ridiculous and he's scored some of the best points I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've never seen a more complete half back and joy to behold than Tomas O Se in my time following GAA,unfortunately I got to see his brilliance up close on far too many occasions.

A better one could be who are the top ten excellent footballers who looked awful?

Ill start with Brian Dooher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jayop wrote: »
    A better one could be who are the top ten excellent footballers who looked awful?

Ill start with Brian Dooher.

Michael Dara McCauley?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Johnny Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

seligehgit wrote: »
    Michael Dara McCauley?

Horrible to watch him solo running a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Noel O'Leary?

Tommy Dowd. Couldn't tell whether he was footin' turf or playing ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Joe McNally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

seligehgit wrote: »
    Michael Dara McCauley?
    Horrible to watch him solo running a ball.

He's like a young fella chasing a pigeon...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

James Nallen

Who was the big lad that played full forward for Derry in the early 00's. Clearly over weight but could kick monster points off left or right. Think Longford had a lad very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

threeball wrote: »
    Who was the big lad that played full forward for Derry in the early 00's. Clearly over weight but could kick monster points off left or right. Think Longford had a lad very similar.

Niall Sheridan was the Longford man you were talking about. Overweight but was great target man with proper service.
    Think Geoffrey McGonagle might be the derry forward you are thinking of.

Advertisement