Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football's most beautiful players to watch in past 20 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bound to stimulate plenty of debate.

Gaelic Football's most beautiful players to watch of the last 20 years: 10-1

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/gaelic-footballs-most-beautiful-players-to-watch-of-the-last-20-years-part-ii/51260

Enda Muldoon in that company? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

robbiezero wrote: »

Strange ok, they're missing Mattie Forde somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bound to stimulate plenty of debate.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/gaelic-footballs-most-beautiful-players-to-watch-of-the-last-20-years-part-ii/51260

Canavan only at 8 and any derry man in the top ten? I think we know which member of the sportsjoe team decided on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Seems sports joe.ie didn't bother looking at anyone bar forwards.Stupid article but not surprised by them.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Seems sports joe.ie didn't bother looking at anyone bar forwards.Stupid article but not surprised by them.

Have you listened to the podcast they do with Wooly? I've got the last two and I really have to say it was excellent both times. Very Ulster centric given the week that's been in it so there was loads in it for me but I'd say everyone should give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

I saw Peter Canavan at 8 and stopped reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jayop wrote: »
    Have you listened to the podcast they do with Wooly? I've got the last two and I really have to say it was excellent both times. Very Ulster centric given the week that's been in it so there was loads in it for me but I'd say everyone should give it a go.

Have you got a link??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stoner wrote: »
    I saw Peter Canavan at 8 and stopped reading.

And him behind Muldoon and Connolly! :rolleyes: The guy was superb.

I thought that Mattie Forde would be ahead of Muldoon, that guy was an incredible player but just played for a weaker county.
    Anyway, gone off topic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yeah I've been impressed with it so far too. He gets some big names on it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been impressed with it so far too. He gets some big names on it.

It's probably the most honest and lacking in vanity of any of the GAA spots I've listened to. Wooly is a laugh too. I disagree with him a lot but like what he says too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah do listen to Parkinsons podcast a bit and enjoy it.Sportsjoe is usually crap articles imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yeah do listen to Parkinsons podcast a bit and enjoy it.Sportsjoe is usually crap articles imo.
    All their articles do is pull in a load of keyboard warriors. The one on Connolly yesterday had some bunch of idiots commenting.

Few lads there who post regular on the articles you'd wonder if they were once in straight jackets :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

yop wrote: »
    All their articles do is pull in a load of keyboard warriors. The one on Connolly yesterday had some bunch of idiots commenting.

Few lads there who post regular on the articles you'd wonder if they were once in straight jackets :) :P

That 'pundit arena' is laughably shít too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It's probably the most honest and lacking in vanity of any of the GAA spots I've listened to. Wooly is a laugh too. I disagree with him a lot but like what he says too.

He talks so much rubbish a lot of the time, it's hard to agree with him!

Bold move by him leaving off the ball though. And I've really enjoyed the chats so far. Maybe it's because it's just a fresh set of voices. Second captains seem to constantly have Malachy Clerkin and Oisin mcconville on.

That 'pundit arena' is laughably shít too.

It's just randomers posting their thoughts like an average gaa boardsie chatting about a game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yop wrote:
    And him behind Muldoon and Connolly! And The Mac !! The guy was superb.

Fixed that for you . I agree now !

Stoner wrote: »
    Fixed that for you . I agree now !

Mac I rate, but ya Canavan was a level above for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

He talks so much rubbish a lot of the time, it's hard to agree with him!

Bold move by him leaving off the ball though. And I've really enjoyed the chats so far. Maybe it's because it's just a fresh set of voices. Second captains seem to constantly have Malachy Clerkin and Oisin mcconville on.
    Ah so Woolys left OTB-was wondering where hed gone. Will miss him on OTB- was a nice counterbalance to the pomposity of Joe and especially Gilroy.

Still another podcast good, even if they're multiplying exponentially- see RTE have one called Jones Rd too. Im a bit of an addict-even listened to a couple of minutes of the Marty Squad the other day:eek:. Never again though.

harpsman wrote: »
    Ah so Woolys left OTB-was wondering where hed gone. Will miss him on OTB- was a nice counterbalance to the pomposity of Joe and especially Gilroy.

Still another podcast good, even if they're multiplying exponentially- see RTE have one called Jones Rd too. Im a bit of an addict-even listened to a couple of minutes of the Marty Squad the other day:eek:. Never again though.

STOP! I managed to have that turned on Sunday evening! Sweet divine, its worse than his hairline!!!! EARPAIN.COM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

STOP! I managed to have that turned on Sunday evening! Sweet divine, its worse than his hairline!!!! EARPAIN.COM

Just when you think RTE GAA coverage has hit rock bottom they start to dig.
    Awful waste of a good timeslot when a lot of people are in their cars after matches looking for some insightful analysis, instead they serve up Brenda Donoghue yakking away to some eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Mac I rate, but ya Canavan was a level above for different reasons.
    Stephen O Neill for me-god he kicked some exquisite points off both feet over the years.

In fairness there are a few defenders there iirc, but Muldoon above ONeill, McDonnell and Murphy not great. And no Bernard Brogan?

Stephen O Neill for me-god he kicked some exquisite points off both feet over the years.

In fairness there are a few defenders there iirc, but Muldoon above ONeill, McDonnell and Murphy not great. And no Bernard Brogan?

Yes, Stephen O'Neill. And McDonnell from Armagh. There was a Wicklow lad who was pure quality also, can't think of his name.
    Michael Meehan who for me was the best player I have seen in the flesh and whose career was ruined by injury, would still rate up there. Against a Cork team around 3 years ago his performance was sublime. Shame it was cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Yes, Stephen O'Neill. And McDonnell from Armagh. There was a Wicklow lad who was pure quality also, can't think of his name.
    Michael Meehan who for me was the best player I have seen in the flesh and whose career was ruined by injury, would still rate up there. Against a Cork team around 3 years ago his performance was sublime. Shame it was cut short.

Kevin O'Brien is probably just outside the 20 year boundary - maybe you're thinking of Leighton Glynn?

O'Neill & McDonnell made the top 20, not the top 10:
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/gaelic-footballs-most-beautiful-players-to-watch-from-the-last-20-years-part-i/51230

I always preferred watching Ja Fallon to any of the other Galway forwards of that outstanding team, he was a joy to watch.

And Kieran McDonalds defining moment had to be the point vs Dublin in the 06 semi final surely? As good as any I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Let me guess Conan Doherty is behind the Muldoon piece...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

robbiezero wrote: »

Slightly odd choice alright. Good player but there would be others more deserving of inclusion on a list like that.

The Wicklow player you're thinking of might be Kevin O'Brien? He was a very good player though not quite in the class of some of those mentioned.

And yes it's a pity what happened with Micheal Meehan. He could still be playing now if the ankle had held up (he is 32 afaik). Such a talent who was a bit unfortunate that he came along when Galway football was heading into a low ebb. How we'd love to have a 21 year old Micheal Meehan in the squad right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He scored two absolutely stupid points in a league semi/final (?) a few years back.

Ridiculous it was. He made a prick of the defender in the process too. You'd be in for some time of it having to mark the likes of him.

Advertisement