Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football's most beautiful players to watch in past 20 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Watched Colin Corkery quite a few times play against Kerry and always found him to be on those players who always found space and time on the ball. Brilliant free taker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

McDonald was brilliant but for the most part not that well loved during his playing days.

As another poster here suggested he was not afraid to be different and Ireland being Ireland and Mao being Mayo some people resented that.

Its only in hindsight I think that people, Mayo people, properly appreciate him.

I think you can see that with the reaction to his TV interview from last year.
    Anyone who did not know him assumed he was a arrogant, self important, prick, but then he spoke, for the very first time, and people were fascinated by him.
    Ciaran McDonald was a joy to watch and had many more good games than bad. He always seemed like a nice enough fella too, but with his unique look, and swagger on the pitch, people equate this with him being a tosser which I completely disagree with.

I met Ciaran McDonald once (in a nightclub - he wasn't drinking) and found him to be very down to earth and a nice guy. I remember thinking he seemed very different from this notion of an arrogant so-and-so that seemed to be the lazy media consensus at the time.

He was a gifted footballer but I always thought Mayo made a mistake moving him out to the half forward line where for all his great range of passing he could be a bit ponderous at times. He was lethal closer to goal and should have been left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Niall Buckley
    Seamus Moynihan
    Kevin Walsh
    Tony Boyle
    Anthony Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH I don't know where the lazy media narrative about McDonald arose from... He was certainly different from your average footballer both on and off the pitch.Ciaran McDonald certainly didn't cultivate this persona considering he was incredibly media shy,never gave interviews and did his talking in the pitch.He didn't feel the need to rebut much of the garbage that I'm sure was spoken and written about him down through the years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Not from open play as much, but I absolutely love watching Brian Sheehan's technique when taking free kicks from the ground. It seems like he barely touches the ball yet it'll sail 50 or 60 metres. His free against Donegal in the league earlier this year where he judged the gale force wind across the pitch was incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not from open play as much, but I absolutely love watching Brian Sheehan's technique when taking free kicks from the ground. It seems like he barely touches the ball yet it'll sail 50 or 60 metres. His free against Donegal in the league earlier this year where he judged the gale force wind across the pitch was incredible.

Yeah, watched him hit a few belters over the years. Best i've seen was two he hit against Crokes in Ditzgerald Stadium in a County Final a few years back. Miles out.

His point against Cork two years ago in PUC from down around the sideline was immense as well.

Rory Beggan actually strokes frees with less effort IMO. Beautiful style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

How in the name of jaysus is Bernard Brogan not on the list? Every bit as good as Conor MacManus. And a joy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

McDonald's foot passing was of a standard that has yet to be seen since his inter county retirement . Miss that about the current game .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭threeball

deadybai wrote: »
    How in the name of jaysus is Bernard Brogan not on the list? Every bit as good as Conor MacManus. And a joy to watch

Brogan is not a beautiful footballer to watch. He kicking technique is very square and rehearsed. He's admitted as much himself. Not a naturally gifted mover or footballer. Alan much more so.
    Excellent footballer but not aesthetically pleasing to watch (unless you're a woman)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

McDonald's foot passing was of a standard that has yet to be seen since his inter county retirement . Miss that about the current game .

Lots of hyperbole on this thread but that tops the lot.

Certainly filled a highlight reel McDonald but for every great pass there'd one where he'd give the ball away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'll give you another defender and half Meath man that was great to watch from the sideline not so great on the pitch - Paul Curran

I will raise you a Dublin defender going back a bit more Mick Deegan was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Adrian Sweeney- Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Only showed it for a season or two but Colm McCullagh was brilliant to watch when Mickey Harte gave him a free role.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Also, nowhere near the level of players in this thread but Paul Sharry for Westmeath is a lovely footballer, always wonder if players like him would cut the grade on stronger teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

What Troll added Diarmuid Connolly to this list? He will be remember for alot of things, none of which are positive and if I wrote what I really think of him I'd be breaking the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Worth a look for the commentary alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What Troll added Diarmuid Connolly to this list? He will be remember for alot of things, none of which are positive and if I wrote what I really think of him I'd be breaking the charter.

Well that's clearly not true.

He'll be remembered by most people as being a great footballer with a ridiculous skill level.

Sure there's a bit of Father Damo to him but most people will remember his football ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Instantly thought of Maurice Fitzgerald when i read the title, others i would add are Declan Browne, Mickey Linden and Graeme Geraghty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

He's an unbelievable footballer regardless of whatever else he is. Can't say I like some of his antics but his skill levels are off the chart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ciaran McDonald has claim to be the most talented footballer without an inter-county All Ireland. If Mayo had managed to win one he'd be held in higher regard imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just have to add my support for Ciaran MacDonald too.

As a Roscommon man I had the misfortune of watching him destroy us many a time, but I do have a memory of one particular match where there were 4 to 5 Mayo 'fans' behind me who never stopped bitching about him from before the match even started. Unsurprisingly he was having a very good game, but that didn't matter to these muppets - His tan, his hair, his tatoos, God knows what else and it actually got so bad I eventually turned around to them and said "if ye don't want him we'd love to have him". The amazing thing was, a whole load of random Roscommon supporters who had listened to the sh*te all backed me up. The man was class!

Lovely interview with him here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQksCHa9fGQ

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Declan O'Sullivan not mentioned on that article or here? I find that utterly insane :eek:

Marty Clarke and Benny Coulter from Down.

John Galvin from Limerick.

I think we can add Gary Brennan to the list, I saw him kill Sligo's dream in the flesh last week :(

David Kelly, Johnny Davey and Mark Brehony, three Sligo players who would make most inter county teams.

Also Paul Taylor, was as talented as McDonald but was effectively finished in his mid-twenties :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭threeball

Declan O'Sullivan not mentioned on that article or here? I find that utterly insane :eek:

I think we can add Gary Brennan to the list, I saw him kill Sligo's dream in the flesh last week :(

David Kelly, Johnny Davey and Mark Brehony, three Sligo players who would make most inter county teams.

Also Paul Taylor, was as talented as McDonald but was effectively finished in his mid-twenties :(

Don't think you'd describe any of the above as beautiful to watch. Taylor had good technique in fairness, best of the names mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'd agree with all them but the Sligo lads bar Taylor, sorry :o Taylor was brilliant, reminded me of Paul Flynn, waterford hurler, physique-wise.
    I think Declan O'Sullivan could've been the best footballer of all time, injuries made him a "only" a great great player.
    Also Mickey Linden and Adrian Sweeney, mentioned above, are a good shout.
    McDonald was very nice to watch, prone to Hollywood play though, which lessened him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Plenty of it is positive. Watch his first score here at 10 seconds. Majestic stuff. He might be overrated on the scale of how effective he is but hes a perfect example of a beautiful player to watch.

Ciaran McDonald has claim to be the most talented footballer without an inter-county All Ireland. If Mayo had managed to win one he'd be held in higher regard imo

Most talented you could argue. Absolutely nowhere near the best however. McDonalds certainly someone who's overrated on a effectiveness scale. Time and the highlight reels have been very generous. Very good player but you couldnt compare him to someone else in that conversation such as Declan Browne or Sean Marty Lockhart.

Maurice Fitz is the clear number 1 as far as the thread title goes. Lads like Corkery and Ja Fallon would be up there also. Loved the Paul Taylor mention earlier. Ollie Murphy was a great watch also

Edit: Cant forget Martin McHugh either. Stylish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ive watched David Kelly a load over the last few years at County and club and he could have got on any team in the country imo. Whippet fast and skill to beat a man with ease. Great player to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ridiculous thing to say. He is an outrageously talented footballer.

He scored a point against Donegal in that semi final that was out of this world. Two solo dummys and over from about 40 meters while never breaking stride or losing balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PressRun wrote: »
    Ciaran McDonald was and is dead sound. It so happened he was also one of the flashiest lads to ever play football which seems to instantly turn people off him. People seemed to assume that there must have been an ego to go with the look and the style of play, which may be understandable, but really couldn't have been further from the truth. He might have had a difficult time with some Mayo fans over the years (I'm sure there are a good few inter-county stars in the country who, at some point or another, had a difficult relationship with some fans, especially in more rural parts where players and fans are likely to cross paths more frequently), but anyone I know has the utmost respect for him and would regard him as one of the best to ever wear the Mayo jersey. He's certainly the most naturally gifted footballer we've ever had, in my opinion. To say that he was a "laughing stock" in Mayo is utter garbage, tbh. The man is practically a Mayo legend.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. I think that interview on TV has put almost all of the begrudgers back in their box. There were quite a few Mayo folks who had formed their opinion about him, without ever meeting him. But when has was portrayed as a human being - shy and nervous on the TV, it struck a nerve with people. For some reason, we much prefer someone who is vulnerable that someone who is confident.

Anyway, I played footie with him at underage many moons ago. Fab guy back then. Never met him since. But he was quite reclusive back then, considering the level of attention he got, even at the tender age of 18. Will always be a hero of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Plenty of it is positive. Watch his first score here at 10 seconds. Majestic stuff.

Yes majestic, he ran half a mile without ever hopping the ball, it should have been a free to the opposition; I guess Joe McQuillan was reffing that day with his Dublin Jersey on inside the black one.

There was plenty of other players you could add to that list without this dis-likable person.

Advertisement