Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

54and56 wrote: »
    At your service, a new route Dublin to Portugal just announced.

"unaccompanied freight", so not even any truckers. More cheap(ish) Portuguese wine is good news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

loyatemu wrote: »
    "unaccompanied freight", so not even any truckers. More cheap(ish) Portuguese wine is good news though.

Ah, my bad. Didn't spot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Scoondal wrote: »
    My sister is going to Brittany on Saturday. 4 kids, 2 dogs and her husband. She will be staying at 2 different locations in Pierre et Vacances apartments.
    I will update here if she has any relevant news or experiences.

She returned on Saturday. A great holiday. No issues with French or Irish border controls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Still no sign of Irish Ferries prices for 2021 :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Yea I messaged them this morning and they said mid October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Glad to see everybody planning their trips for next year. We will all need something to look forward to through the winter. As a matter of interest - does anybody think the travel restrictions we had in 2020 will still apply in 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Glad to see everybody planning their trips for next year. We will all need something to look forward to through the winter. As a matter of interest - does anybody think the travel restrictions we had in 2020 will still apply in 2021?

It's hard to know, when ever a country does something to encourage spending in tourism it falls flat on its face and they have to take 2 steps back again. If by a miracle we have a vaccine by summer things will be mental next year but until then we will have the brave few that will try.. I for one will be hoping we can get away but already thinking of booking for September nxt yr to give me enough of a buffer area..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ladylouth wrote: »

Really hard to know.
    I was hoping that Ireland would adopt the EU Traffic Light system now in October but after Eamon Ryan's comments yesterday I am not sure. He seemed to be suggesting agreement in principle but adopting it later ?
    Also, the version I read of the new system a few weeks ago was suggesting that Green and Orange Countries would be ok to travel to/from but now they are suggesting that Orange and Red would require a negative test within 3 days to travel. Which would make it difficult with Cost and length of time for results here in Ireland.
    Will need to wait and see how it works out.

Personally, we transferred our Eurocamp 2020 holiday to end of June 2021. We had only paid the €99 Deposit.
    Irish Ferries 2021 not out yet but will book and pay the €99 when it does come out.
    And hopefully things will be clearer before we need to pay either operator any more money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-new-fines-for-not-wearing-face-masks-and-non-essential-journeys-by-end-of-the-month-1.4377745?mode=amp

This article refers to the Testing both leaving and arriving in an EU Country which is on either the Orange or the Red List.
    The way I am reading it (and I hope that I am wrong!) is that it could cost €200 each way per person for testing unless both of the Countries you are travelling to are on the Green List.
    So, for us it could potentially add €1,600 to the cost of our holiday making it unaffordable.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Really hard to know.

Also, the version I read of the new system a few weeks ago was suggesting that Green and Orange Countries would be ok to travel to/from but now they are suggesting that Orange and Red would require a negative test within 3 days to travel. Which would make it difficult with Cost and length of time for results here in Ireland.
    Will need to wait and see how it works out.

I think our testing is ok in Eire, friend of mine travelled back from UK last Friday. Got tested in UK on Thurs then on Tues in Eire, had results from Eire with 71hrs, as of last night still waiting on UK. (tested negative but still isolated cause of family)

But I think the traffic light system is the only way, as long as companies refund if things change and don't hold money. Prices will be interesting, do they try and recoup money or entice by lower prices..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We're mulling over booking ferry with deposit, few weeks in 2/3 campsites and a house exchange for another week.
    Would like to pay as little as possible up front

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you are going to the bother of a house exchange, I would do that for at least 2 weeks.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If you are going to the bother of a house exchange, I would do that for at least 2 weeks.

They won't be staying in our house over here though. We've been on a house exchange website for a while and you can stay in holiday homes for zero cost

They won't be staying in our house over here though. We've been on a house exchange website for a while and you can stay in holiday homes for zero cost

How does that work then? Doesn't seem like an exchange then..

MorganIRL wrote: »
    How does that work then? Doesn't seem like an exchange then..

I guess someone is basically getting a house sitter while they're away. There's some reassurance knowing your house isn't empty waiting to be robbed

I'm really intrigued by this, every exchange site I have looked at over the years has a charge and also the swap happens. Can you explain more. Never done one or know of anyone that has.

I'm really intrigued by this, every exchange site I have looked at over the years has a charge and also the swap happens. Can you explain more. Never done one or know of anyone that has.

Me too.
    I know one family who did it with a family in France but there was definitely a swap involved

There's a small annual fee.
    You make your house available , you earn credits when people stay there.
    You can use the credir to stay in other people's houses or do an actual exchange.
    We usually make our house available when we are abroad, we earn credits for that and then use them to stay elsewhere
    We got two great holidays in Ireland this summer just using credits we had built up.

There's a small annual fee.
    You make your house available , you earn credits when people stay there.
    You can use the credir to stay in other people's houses or do an actual exchange.
    We usually make our house available when we are abroad, we earn credits for that and then use them to stay elsewhere
    We got two great holidays in Ireland this summer just using credits we had built up.

So it's not exactly a swap with another family, any family can stay in ur hse when ur away. And you book a hse in an area that's available for the dates u want..

If no one stays or you don't make your hse available is there penalties?

IF seem to be saying end of October now for release of 2021 Schedule/Prices.
    Seem to be pushing it back by 2 weeks each time.

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    IF seem to be saying end of October now for release of 2021 Schedule/Prices.
    Seem to be pushing it back by 2 weeks each time.

What's the bet we'll still be waiting for the schedule by end of November?

Sister, husband, four kids and two dogs had a great holiday in France in September.
    A bit of joking coming back with the Gardai and customs people.
    No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What's the bet we'll still be waiting for the schedule by end of November?

By which time anyone who can will have booked with someone else. I don't know what their problem is but they need to get their act together.

First Up wrote: »
    By which time anyone who can will have booked with someone else. I don't know what their problem is but they need to get their act together.

I reckon they're hedging their bets between brexit and covid about what services to curtail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I reckon they're hedging their bets between brexit and covid about what services to curtail

And which ones to extend. But that applies to all ferry operators and Stena and Brittany Ferries seem to have managed it.

We have three ferry operators serving two French ports from three Irish ports. I just hope that between them they will offer a decent range of sailing days and destinations to commercial and private customers.

So it's not exactly a swap with another family, any family can stay in ur hse when ur away. And you book a hse in an area that's available for the dates u want..

If no one stays or you don't make your hse available is there penalties?

You just run out of credits to stay elsewhere.
    Some homes will use up morw credits due to size, location and facilities

Why would a ferry operater provide a premium passenger ferry next year. They must have massive losses from 2020. Freight is unaffected.
    I think in 2021 we will be travelling on cargo ships to other EU countries ... if we are even allowed that.

You just run out of credits to stay elsewhere.
    Some homes will use up morw credits due to size, location and facilities

Sorry with all the questions, so if u have no credits does that rule you out of booking further locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone here bring dogs with them to France ?
    Do you use the onboard dog kennels on the ferry?
    What do you do with the dog at the camp site?
    Do any camp sites provide kennels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

No. Just the horse.

Advertisement