Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Anyone know when IF are releasing 2021 Schedule and Prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

SusanC10 wrote: »

September is what I heard, which makes me confused as to the lack of a timetable on their site :confused:

I'm guessing it'll be more like mid to late September. Not sure why it takes so long, it's not like the ports move around every year or something :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

September is what I heard, which makes me confused as to the lack of a timetable on their site :confused:

I'm guessing it'll be more like mid to late September. Not sure why it takes so long, it's not like the ports move around every year or something :D

Just messaged IF on FB looking for an update. They can give no indication whatsoever of when 2021 Schedule or Prices will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Was end of September/start of October last year but could be different this year all things considered

Just hoping fares don't increase too much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

54and56 wrote: »
    Well we finally got the "Greenlist" published earlier tonight and France isn't on it, not for the next two weeks at least which means we'll be cancelling our Aug 1st ferry and campsite booking etc which had already been rescheduled from July 4th.

Feeling a little sad but c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world to move it back to next year (assuming Siblu will provide me with a credit note/voucher) and on the bright side this is the earliest I've ever had next years holiday fully paid for :P

For those of you who do manage to get away, whether because France is "Greenlisted" in a couple of weeks time or you decide to ignore the advice and travel anyway have a great time and stay safe.

Like StoneDeaf4Ever who like me has been a regular contributor to this thread for many many years I'll be stepping away until the current madness dissipates so see you all around Halloween or maybe even Xmas.

Adieu mes amis, vive la France.

So didn't get to France this year but managed to get a Credit from IF for the outbound trip, a voucher from Siblu for next year and rebooked Stena home for July 30th next year.

Back here (having thankfully missed a lot of the Covid moralising/agonising over the last few weeks) to keep an eye out for news of IF's 2021 schedule being announced and similarly looking forward to when Siblu start taking bookings for next year.

Fingers crossed 2021 isn't some sort of groundhog year!!

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed indeed !
    Very much looking forward to our French trip in 2021.

Hoping IF bring out Schedule relatively soon. Already booked with Eurocamp (transferred our Deposit from this year)

Can anyone recommend some supermarkets around Domaine des Ormes? I see there's a Carrefour, Super-U and Lidl on Dol-de-Bretagne so I'm debating one of those.

We'd be heading for 6 days so ideally I want to do a big shop on the way to the campsite and not go to the supermarket again

I'd be looking for simple meal options, refrigerated ready meals, frozen foods, steaks/burgers/hot dogs kind of stuff. Peeling and chopping veg isn't my idea of holiday fun
    Also the usual lunch/breakfast foods (bread, cheese, cold meat, fruit, cereals) and snacks as well as cleaning/bathroom items
    Somewhere that has baby supplies like nappies and wipes as well as stuff like fruit pouches/pots and baby snacks. Our daughter will be 1.5 years by then but this stuff is handy to have for when they're being picky

Lidl is safe and familiar, but from the photos the one in Dol-de-Bretagne is pretty small. Carrefour and Super U look like they're bigger and have more options so I might aim for one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

We used Super U here last year and it was prefect. Big Grocery, should have everything you need.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Super+U+et+Drive/@48.5173479,-1.8155397,12.67z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x480e981fba81ccd1:0x69f56186e382a44c!8m2!3d48.5471373!4d-1.740664

Enjoy the trip, I'm not Jealous one bit

Can anyone recommend some supermarkets around Domaine des Ormes? I see there's a Carrefour, Super-U and Lidl on Dol-de-Bretagne so I'm debating one of those.

We'd be heading for 6 days so ideally I want to do a big shop on the way to the campsite and not go to the supermarket again

I'd be looking for simple meal options, refrigerated ready meals, frozen foods, steaks/burgers/hot dogs kind of stuff. Peeling and chopping veg isn't my idea of holiday fun
    Also the usual lunch/breakfast foods (bread, cheese, cold meat, fruit, cereals) and snacks as well as cleaning/bathroom items
    Somewhere that has baby supplies like nappies and wipes as well as stuff like fruit pouches/pots and baby snacks. Our daughter will be 1.5 years by then but this stuff is handy to have for when they're being picky

Lidl is safe and familiar, but from the photos the one in Dol-de-Bretagne is pretty small. Carrefour and Super U look like they're bigger and have more options so I might aim for one of them.

We used Super U here last year and it was prefect. Big Grocery, should have everything you need.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Super+U+et+Drive/@48.5173479,-1.8155397,12.67z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x480e981fba81ccd1:0x69f56186e382a44c!8m2!3d48.5471373!4d-1.740664

Enjoy the trip, I'm not Jealous one bit

Thanks for that, we haven't anything booked, just trying to scope out all the details before committing to anything. It'll be our first time doing a campsite holiday in France, so want to get as good an idea of the practicalities as possible

On a side note, how long does it normally take to check in at the campsite? I'd prefer to do the shopping on the way there rather than head out again after a long drive, but since there'll probably be a bunch of folks heading from the same ferry to the same campsite I'd be worried about the food going rotten while we're waiting

Thanks for that, we haven't anything booked, just trying to scope out all the details before committing to anything. It'll be our first time doing a campsite holiday in France, so want to get as good an idea of the practicalities as possible

On a side note, how long does it normally take to check in at the campsite? I'd prefer to do the shopping on the way there rather than head out again after a long drive, but since there'll probably be a bunch of folks heading from the same ferry to the same campsite I'd be worried about the food going rotten while we're waiting

We usually bring a few basics from home. Then check in to the Site and eat out or Take Away that night. Buy Milk and Bakery stuff the following morning and then do a Big shop.

Speaking in general. Not specific to the above site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

The check in itself is only a couple of minutes. No idea of the queue after the ferry. Each company (eurocamp etc) has their own desk so you could be unlucky.
    If you stop to shop it could let the queue die down before you arrive.

Weather can be hit and miss that far north, so if its a wet day and you are arriving early, you could go straight to the site, check in, get a swim in the indoor pool and then head off to the shop rather than sit in the caravan in the rain. They only put the roof over the pool last year so its all new and modern. Pack some pasta or something from home for an easy lunch.
    If its a nice day stop on the way, because you will have the weather to explore the site in the afternoon and won't want to leave, and you may want a nice bottle to sit out with in the evening.

The check in itself is only a couple of minutes. No idea of the queue after the ferry. Each company (eurocamp etc) has their own desk so you could be unlucky.
    If you stop to shop it could let the queue die down before you arrive.

Weather can be hit and miss that far north, so if its a wet day and you are arriving early, you could go straight to the site, check in, get a swim in the indoor pool and then head off to the shop rather than sit in the caravan in the rain. They only put the roof over the pool last year so its all new and modern. Pack some pasta or something from home for an easy lunch.
    If its a nice day stop on the way, because you will have the weather to explore the site in the afternoon and won't want to leave, and you may want a nice bottle to sit out with in the evening.

We'll probably be doing Irish ferries Dublin to Cherbourg and booking via eurocamp, so I'm guessing the rest of Ireland will be doing the same thing

I like the idea of waiting a while and letting any queue die down, I'll be driving at a relaxed pace anyway since it'll be my first time driving on the wrong side of the road!

Not sure I'll be able to wait until evening to hit the vino after that, might be cracking open a bottle while unpacking everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was enquiring about rebooking for next year (with credit note) and was told the schedule for 2021 will be available early October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'll be driving at a relaxed pace anyway since it'll be my first time driving on the wrong side of the road!

Not sure I'll be able to wait until evening to hit the vino after that, might be cracking open a bottle while unpacking everything :D

You'll be grand. It's just to remember to always look the right way when turning and the roundabout feel really odd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

As silly as this sounds, tie a brightly coloured ribbon or something to the stalk of your indicators or wipers....it'll be a reminder for everytime you get behind the wheel to drive on the right....supermarkets are the worst for me....no lane arrows and I revert to driving on the left again....

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Yelloh have refunded our full amount that we paid for this year. Originally due there at end of June but cancelled and they sent us a voucher for the full amount valid for 18 months. Got an email yesterday out of the blue saying that they had decided to refund the full amount paid which arrived on my credit card today. Makes an decision on holidays for next year much easier now. Not sure if this is unique to the Yelloh site we staying but thought might be of interest for anyone who booked with Yelloh.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Yelloh have refunded our full amount that we paid for this year. Originally due there at end of June but cancelled and they sent us a voucher for the full amount valid for 18 months. Got an email yesterday out of the blue saying that they had decided to refund the full amount paid which arrived on my credit card today. Makes an decision on holidays for next year much easier now. Not sure if this is unique to the Yelloh site we staying but thought might be of interest for anyone who booked with Yelloh.

Thats Great News!
    If only Irish Ferries would do the same.
    I really dont see the point in this "credit" scheme that doesnt work. If they refunded the money it would be easier to book online. I asked them to do this (pleaded on twitter is more accurate :) ). I really had to go see a terminally friend and Irish Ferries would not give me a price quote .they said i could look up the website to get a "guide" but that the price I would pay was the price they decided time i make the booking! So it could be anything!! My emails have still not been answered. I was stuck on hold with no answer.
    In the end I had to make alternative arrangements and got to england too late to see my friend because he had been transferred to a hospice. Irish Ferries still have my money and are not refunding it. I dont need credit anymore!! Im not travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

My sister is going to Brittany on Saturday. 4 kids, 2 dogs and her husband. She will be staying at 2 different locations in Pierre et Vacances apartments.
    I will update here if she has any relevant news or experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m back from two weeks in Brittany. (We are restricting our movements very seriously and haven’t left our house since before anyone asks!)

I enjoyed it but found the whole thing a bit nerve wracking. We had booked an paid in full which encouraged us to go, I don’t think I’d have been leaping to
    Book anything.
    The ferry was pretty empty both ways. The cinema seemed to be open on the way home but I don’t think anyone went in. The main restaurant was open with takeaway food containers. You could get a drink in the cafe with no €9 meal.
    The campsite we stayed in was lovely. Week 1 was high season but was pretty quiet... week 2 was low season and was totally dead. The pool was busy enough the first week and the bar and restaurant were busy on Saturday nights... on the two Saturdays we were there there was an event in the bar, singing, dancing, a show! It freaked us out a bit it seems so alien to us now (we didn’t go).
    The beach nearby was quiet enough. Everyone wore masks, even a lot outside much more than here, but there was no social distancing - no signs, no queue management and cafes and restaurant tables were normally spaced (I think it’s 1 metre there). On the drive back to the boat we stopped at a very busy McDonald’s with staff managing the queue and cordoned off tables more like here - I don’t know if it’s just because it’s busy or was it a regional variation in the rules. Life there seems to be ticking away as usual aside from the masks. I followed the news and cases closely in case of any developments but they didn’t seem to be like here, about to impose restrictions overnight- rather they were opening up more stuff while cases went up. Cases were sky rocketing while I was there but I found published regional lists and where I was was actually significantly lower than Dublin, which made me feel a bit better.
    It probably would have been a great holiday if I could forget about the worry totally but I couldn’t- although I’m glad I went- I don’t see how anything will change by next June / July so I imagine holidays will be the same story but probably busier

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I’ve now been in France for 10 days, I’m traveling with my caravan and I’ve got as far south now as Fleurie in the Beaujolais area, my plan is to move onto Provence (a small town called Châteaurenard which has had no coronavirus cases so far) around the 21st Where I plan to stay until around the 25th October, when I will start heading back north for my booked ferry on 30th October.
    My experience so far is that mask wearing is universally observed in all shops, indoor and outdoor markets and many diverse other areas. Social distancing rules are also universally observed.
    I believe that I’m much less likely to be infected in this environment than I would be at home (I live in Co. Louth)
    I retired the week before heading out here, I found the ferry to be a comfortable experience, I kept myself very much to myself spending the majority of my time in my cabin, I brought my own food with me and just used the cafe to buy a coffee to go with my breakfast, it was my observation that most of the other passengers did the same or similar.
    I fully expect the experience to be much the same on my return crossing.
    I am happy to restrict my movements for 14 days on my return if that is still the requirement at the time.
    If anyone is considering coming to France but has doubts, then my advice would be to just go with your instincts.....
    I have found that mask wearing and social distancing measures have been fully observed in the 3 campsites in which I have stayed so far. There has been a good mix of nationalities including, Dutch, French, German, with just the odd Brit and I’ve not met any other Irish so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Both posters above echo our findings on our holiday.
    Regarding the cinema on the W B Yeats, its closed on both our trips but the cabins have a decent large screen TV, with dozens and dozens of films you can stream.
    Easy to keep kids in their cabins for longer periods with an endless menu of Marvel, Spiderman etc, etc.

Anyone know where to find promo codes for Eurocamp? Do they give them out every so often or are they for repeat visitors?

Anyone know how things will work after October with the new EU colour-coding ?

If, for argument, Ireland and say France are Orange when travelling, will there still be 14 day restrictions on return to Ireland?

Anyone know how things will work after October with the new EU colour-coding ?

If, for argument, Ireland and say France are Orange when travelling, will there still be 14 day restrictions on return to Ireland?

You'd have a better chance of guessing next weeks lotto numbers, than guessing what they'll do re. travel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Ninesell wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed with Center Parc Europe? I am considering one in the Loire Valley - Le Bois Aux Daims. I have never stayed in any Center Parcs but the facilities look good and comments on extra activity charges seem reasonable.

This was originally posted back in January 2019 and am curious if you went or if anyone else has gone to this one since? Interested to hear of any feedback. It is very remote and am wondering if there are enough activities to keep 3 pre-teens occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Actually, while we're discussing ferries (and I'm asking dumb rookie questions) what's the story with getting a cot into the inside cabins?

Irish ferries say you can fit a cot in the 4 bed cabins if the 4 beds aren't being used, but then they don't give you the option of booking one.

Stena seem fine with having a cot in the 4 bed inside cabins, and Brittany didn't give me the option so maybe I missed something.

We have a travel cot so we'd probably bring own anyway, and worst case scenario we can just put the toddler in the bed with one of us.

Further to this, I’m back this year and I think what I previously had was the 4 bed family cabin- you can fit the cot at the end of the beds, it must be a longer cabin.
    This year I had the four bed for four- you can still
    Fit a Cot if one bed isn’t used but only where that pull down bed is, not at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

webpal wrote: »
    This was originally posted back in January 2019 and am curious if you went or if anyone else has gone to this one since? Interested to hear of any feedback. It is very remote and am wondering if there are enough activities to keep 3 pre-teens occupied.

I didn’t end up going there in the end. I stayed in Disney’s David Crockett ranch which is beside Les Villages Nature Center Parcs and then went on to Les Alicourts in the Loire Valley.
    Les Alicourts is a very nice site but definitely feels more remote in terms of travelling to the main tourist sites in the Loire Valley. We had seen a good few of the Chateau and towns on previous trips so that was OK for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

any ferry companies set their ferry schedules for June 2021 yet?

any ferry companies set their ferry schedules for June 2021 yet?

Brittany Ferries are up and running, booking wise, for 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

FYI for anyone with a Siblu voucher I just got confirmation of my booking for July 2021. I don't think the dates are live on their website to book but if you call or email them (as I did) you can get your preferred dates and accomodation type now rather than wait for the website to open up.

I just emailed them a copy of my voucher, the dates I wanted and the type of mobile I wanted and got a booking confirmation back within 24 hours.

Advertisement