Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I think they've improved the flexi fare. As I recall it was pretty useless before, only refunded you if you cancelled more than a month ahead or something

The new one at least gives you 100% credit up to a week before departure

It actually gives you a 100% refund for cancellations up to 48 hours prior to sailing which is an amazing change in terms IIRC and (today at least) it was a FOC option when booking which I guess is a reflection of Covid uncertainty rather than IF generosity.

FFI3HcE.jpg

As things stand I have fully flexible fares booked with IF going out, Stena coming home and I've used this years cancellation voucher to book next years holiday with Siblu but hoping it won't be needed and we can just go as planned because the vaccine has lowered the level of risk to the vulnerable in society and we're all a bit better at managing the risk ourselves via social distancing, wearing masks when indoors etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Do people feel there will be offers like other years from the main stable of accommodation companies? We are changing our dates from the cheaper end of June period to the peak period beginning of August... (OMG the cost diff)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭blackwhite

54and56 wrote: »
    It actually gives you a 100% refund for cancellations up to 48 hours prior to sailing which is an amazing change in terms IIRC and (today at least) it was a FOC option when booking which I guess is a reflection of Covid uncertainty rather than IF generosity.

FFI3HcE.jpg

As things stand I have fully flexible fares booked with IF going out, Stena coming home and I've used this years cancellation voucher to book next years holiday with Siblu but hoping it won't be needed and we can just go as planned because the vaccine has lowered the level of risk to the vulnerable in society and we're all a bit better at managing the risk ourselves via social distancing, wearing masks when indoors etc etc.

That's the Irish Sea section you've quoted.

France is 42 days out to get 100% back.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/about-your-booking/flexibility-option/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Ladylouth wrote: »
    We travelled in July/August. It was very strange. There was literally no wait for boarding - we drove straight up and onto the ship, wished a good holiday by the guards on duty! There was loads of space aboard as so few travelers (mostly from NI with caravans/campervans). Limited food available in self service restaurant - all others closed. No difficulty on departure or arrival. Given the locator forms on board, they were collected when we drove through Dublin port. Desperately want to book again for this summer, but have big worries about even worse restrictions next summer. If restrictions remain the same, we will go again for sure.

Thanks for the info hopefully we can get away next year, I would imagine there will be similar or even less restrictions compared to last summer, especially with the latest announcements of a vaccine and pre travel testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

jay0109 wrote: »
    €2,000 for the sailing late June to Cherbourg and back mid July incl a 4berth cabin. They're having a larff!
    And they're not even letting me book the 4 berth cabin for 6 people as I've always done. Recliner seat option is blocked off.

It's a bit all over the place. Not touching it at those prices

I looked at similar dates too... usually go slightly more off peak, end august to September for €700 ish so I don’t know what end June to mid July usually is? It seems very dear anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Only seeing this now
    €1387
    Feck that

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Hi All,

I have a €100 credit with Irish Ferries from having to cancel this years holiday. It is linked to this years booking reference number. I am assuming that I will need to phone Irish Ferries to get the credit onto next years booking. Do Irish Ferries still charge extra when you make a phone booking?

The cost of the ferry next yr for me will be €1750 going out early July coming back 2 weeks earlier. A little bit more expensive than recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

When the WB Yeats was late in 2018 thousands of passengers had a credit with Irish ferries for 2019, Irish ferries did the same thing for the 3019 sailing, jacked up the prices.

They're certainly staying true to form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

When the WB Yeats was late in 2018 thousands of passengers had a credit with Irish ferries for 2019, Irish ferries did the same thing for the 3019 sailing, jacked up the prices.

They're certainly staying true to form this year.

Gosh, I didn't realise they were taking bookings for 3019 ;)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I looked at similar dates too... usually go slightly more off peak, end august to September for €700 ish so I don’t know what end June to mid July usually is? It seems very dear anyway

I remember a price 4 years ago of €1,400 or so for the 6 of us...out late June back just before mid July.
    Colleagues at work were telling me a few years ago that they us to get it around the €800 to €1,000 mark 10 or so years ago.

Perhaps some on here can confirm if it has roughly doubled since the mid to late noughties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Perhaps some on here can confirm if it has roughly doubled since the mid to late noughties?

We've been going about 11 years now and I honestly dont think this is the case. Some people might disclose their prices but not the conditions i.e. the 10% off, how close to departure, room types, car, tesco tokens. I just looked up by booking from last year and searched the same dates (out early Aug back mid) and its the same price.

I've always known Aug to be slightly cheaper, mainly because of the late return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Well the price I'm being quoted for the same time as last year is up about €400 (close to 2k v's 1.6k)
    And it's up about €600 this yr on the year before that.

That's the same period of travel, same number of people. Granted I usually book in February so maybe that 2k will have dropped a bit in the by that time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Checked prices yesterday for 4 of us next year, 1690 up from 1220 this year. We've a credit note for the 1220 that has to be used by the end of 2021 so they know exactly what they are doing. Taking into account the massive drop in fuel prices which is their biggest overhead it's pure price gouging by IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

lemonTrees wrote: »
    Checked prices yesterday for 4 of us next year, 1690 up from 1220 this year. We've a credit note for the 1220 that has to be used by the end of 2021 so they know exactly what they are doing. Taking into account the massive drop in fuel prices which is their biggest overhead it's pure price gouging by IF.

We were told.we would have to rebook by 30 November so contacted them on Tuesday to say we couldn't as the place is still in lockdown so they refunded the fare completely. Back in account Thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

I think you have to remember when travelling with kids the older they get the more you get charged for them. I think if I remember correctly after they turn seven they cost about €100 more each way and then another increase when they go past 15 years of age

Anyone else having issues with Irish ferries booking system.. tried online and app. Online won't let me go by the cabin booking choice part. And app always says it's timed out ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am going to phone IF Monday and book it then. Hopefully any glitches will be sorted out and also open for Tesco Bookings.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am going to phone IF Monday and book it then. Hopefully any glitches will be sorted out and also open for Tesco Bookings.

Were u having problems Susan??

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Were u having problems Susan??

We are (hopefully) meeting friends in France next Summer. So, I was trying to book on the phone on Friday as I have Credit to use plus Tesco Tokens but they said that I couldn't book using Tesco yet.
    My friend was trying to book online but said it was very glitchy and she couldn't complete the booking.
    So, we are both going to book on the phone Monday. Easier to talk to a human !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We are (hopefully) meeting friends in France next Summer. So, I was trying to book on the phone on Friday as I have Credit to use plus Tesco Tokens but they said that I couldn't book using Tesco yet.
    My friend was trying to book online but said it was very glitchy and she couldn't complete the booking.
    So, we are both going to book on the phone Monday. Easier to talk to a human !
    Don't they charge for phone bookings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Gosh, I didn't realise they were taking bookings for 3019 ;)

Oooops. I'm sure Irish ferries will still be at that craic in 3019 if they're still around, you heard it here first ;)

Don't they charge for phone bookings?

They told me that if I am using a combo of Credit and Tesco that it must be done on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Well the price I'm being quoted for the same time as last year is up about €400 (close to 2k v's 1.6k)
    And it's up about €600 this yr on the year before that.

That's the same period of travel, same number of people. Granted I usually book in February so maybe that 2k will have dropped a bit in the by that time

Same. Really disappointed

We're all in this together, to rip the public off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just had a look at Irish Ferries for 2021.
    Two adults, one 14 year old child, largish motorhome.
    Dublin - Cherbourg 4th August, returning 17th August.
    €1171.
    Cheapest 3 berth rooms available.

This year, 2020, we went out the 5th August and back the 20th August, all other details the same, and price was €921.

So prices jacked up €250.

If motorhome prices stay strong, we'll probably sell it in May or June, and fly somewhere instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

They told me that if I am using a combo of Credit and Tesco that it must be done on the phone.

In my experience, and with proof from my phone bill .YES. BE VERY CAREFUL. I was on hold for ages...and it was a high phone bill.

daesal wrote: »
    In my experience, and with proof from my phone bill .YES. BE VERY CAREFUL. I was on hold for ages...and it was a high phone bill.

I am calling a Dublin Landline Number which is free as part of my package.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    €1171.

This year, 2020, we went out the 5th August and back the 20th August, all other details the same, and price was €921.

If motorhome prices stay strong, we'll probably sell it in May or June, and fly somewhere instead.

Jesus. It's kind of mad. Irish Ferries know that they have a load of people stuck with "credit" they have to use.
    Bung up the prices. Get the extra quids from everyone,that cant shop around and they are onto a winner.
    I'm tired of Irish Ferries and their cynical profiteering they are useing Covid to ripoff customers and families that are already suffering. Even though the times are less suitable to me I am useing the other companies from now on.And telling Irish Ferries each time they lose the business...otherwise they will continue to treat their customers with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

daesal wrote: »
    Jesus. It's kind of mad. Irish Ferries know that they have a load of people stuck with "credit" they have to use.
    Bung up the prices. Get the extra quids from everyone,that cant shop around and they are onto a winner.
    I'm tired of Irish Ferries and their cynical profiteering they are useing Covid to ripoff customers and families that are already suffering. Even though the times are less suitable to me I am useing the other companies from now on.And telling Irish Ferries each time they lose the business...otherwise they will continue to treat their customers with contempt.

Think that's a bit strong.

IF have also suffered financially due to Covid and could have taken a very narrow view that as their ferry was operating anyone who didn't show up for a (summer 2020) booking wasn't entitled to a credit or refund. They had no legal requirement to give us all credit notes for the bookings we didn't use but they did.

Also, if they have a systemic policy of upping prices to take advantage of "trapped" customers with credit notes why was my booking for 2021 (same itinerary and dates +/- a few days) within €3 of my 2020 booking and others have experienced the same?

Ferry/Airline/Hotel companies all operate dynamic pricing which reacts to the level of demand for each sailing in order to maximise their revenue. Like any other commercial business they will set prices to match what people are willing to pay.

If you are booking early for a particular date you might get a better price than someone trying to book the same dates closer to the sailing when there is only 10% capacity left. Similarly if there is little demand for a date the company has to offer discounts and lower pricing to attract bookings.

It's swings and roundabouts not a systemic policy to rip people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    €1171.

Is that not just the difference between coming back on a Friday in 2021 instead of a Monday in 2020?

We've always noticed it's cheaper to travel early in the week, instead of on the weekend

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Think that's a bit strong.

IF have also suffered financially due to Covid and could have taken a very narrow view that as their ferry was operating anyone who didn't show up for a (summer 2020) booking wasn't entitled to a credit or refund. They had no legal requirement to give us all credit notes for the bookings we didn't use but they did.

Also, if they have a systemic policy of upping prices to take advantage of "trapped" customers with credit notes why was my booking for 2021 (same itinerary and dates +/- a few days) within €3 of my 2020 booking and others have experienced the same?

Ferry/Airline/Hotel companies all operate dynamic pricing which reacts to the level of demand for each sailing in order to maximise their revenue. Like any other commercial business they will set prices to match what people are willing to pay.

If you are booking early for a particular date you might get a better price than someone trying to book the same dates closer to the sailing when there is only 10% capacity left. Similarly if there is little demand for a date the company has to offer discounts and lower pricing to attract bookings.

It's swings and roundabouts not a systemic policy to rip people off.

I hear what your saying...but speaking from experience IF definitely made it extremely difficult for me to use my credit,and that was to visit a dying friend.Which they knew but still made it near impossible. Perhaps its changed now but the experience has left me in no uncertain terms that IF are actively making life difficult for customers. I'm glad some people have had an ok experience but if you read reviews on Trip Advisor and other review sites it becomes apparent that a lot of people have had very bad experiences. It may be a business model and marketing and I might be cynical but if the company allready has our money in the form of "credit" then there is no incentive on them to release competitive pricing.

Advertisement