Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Thinking of booking the ferry to France for next summer, just interested to hear of other peoples experience who have travelled last summer, what was it like on the journey over, was there many restrictions on the ferry itself? what was it like getting off the ferry going through border checks? what was it like coming back, where you issued with passenger locator forms on return?

A little bit apprehensive about it so any info is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thinking of booking the ferry to France for next summer, just interested to hear of other peoples experience who have travelled last summer, what was it like on the journey over, was there many restrictions on the ferry itself? what was it like getting off the ferry going through border checks? what was it like coming back, where you issued with passenger locator forms on return?

A little bit apprehensive about it so any info is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Would be interested in this too.
    Although it will be hard to know what the rules will be next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

First Up wrote: »
    More likely they are negotiating with the big transport companies and freight customers over routes. schedules (and costs)

They will probably extend validity of credit notes.

I wouldn't bet on it.
    From my 1st hand experience with Irish Ferries they will do their upmost to try and keep your money.
    I had a terrible experience and many others too.
    It took months (3months!!) of trying to get through on Twitter and email before I finally got someone to help.
    All the staff were dismissive and rude.
    In the end I got through to a Nicola Hammond who is head of customer services. No apologies about the struggle I went through but in fairness she did manage to do something.
    I would recommend using a different service if you can.
    Irish Ferries do not stand by their word and I was almost seriously out of pocket. I had a terminally I'll friend to visit , he has since passed away. This made no difference to Irish Ferries so I cant see them being anymore helpful if its "just" a family holiday!
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They may be bad at customer relations but I doubt they are leaving the market free for Stena and BF just so they can avoid giving you back your money.

They may be bad at customer relations but I doubt they are leaving the market free for Stena and BF just so they can avoid giving you back your money.

Hi. Sorry , you've lost me there. :)

• Advertisement

daesal wrote:
    Hi. Sorry , you've lost me there.

See 7857

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

We travelled in July/August. It was very strange. There was literally no wait for boarding - we drove straight up and onto the ship, wished a good holiday by the guards on duty! There was loads of space aboard as so few travelers (mostly from NI with caravans/campervans). Limited food available in self service restaurant - all others closed. No difficulty on departure or arrival. Given the locator forms on board, they were collected when we drove through Dublin port. Desperately want to book again for this summer, but have big worries about even worse restrictions next summer. If restrictions remain the same, we will go again for sure.

See 7857

Lost again! Sorry.

daesal wrote:
    Lost again! Sorry.

That poster insinuated that IF were delaying bookings in the hope those with vouchers would just give up.

That poster insinuated that IF were delaying bookings in the hope those with vouchers would just give up.

Ohh. Right. No I wouldn't think they are doing that. They make it difficult enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Irish ferries are no doubt waiting on the Brexit talks outcome which was to have been sorted by now but is dragging on.

Should a hard brexit happen then you could see them reallocate ferries/ ferry sailings from the IRL/GB to IRL/FR routes

Sure, if you look at IRL-GB , the WB Yeats is only allocated up to New Years eve when brexit will happen with a whimper or a bang depening on what happens in the ongoing talks?
    Is that also a scam to get at lads with vouchers or is it related to them hedging their bets on Brexit ?????

Irish ferries are no doubt waiting on the Brexit talks outcome which was to have been sorted by now but is dragging on.

Should a hard brexit happen then you could see them reallocate ferries/ ferry sailings from the IRL/GB to IRL/FR routes

Sure, if you look at IRL-GB , the WB Yeats is only allocated up to New Years eve when brexit will happen with a whimper or a bang depening on what happens in the ongoing talks? Is that also a scam to get at lads with vouchers or is it related to them hedging their bets on Brexit ?????

The only question is will they need more sailings to France. By all means hedge bets on the WBY but why not cater for existing customers to France on the Epsilon in the meantime?

They have now opened bookings for Dublin-Cherbourg in January, which is after Brexit so there is more to it than that.

I am standing by for a short trip in late March. I'd prefer to use Dublin but if IF don't open bookings before my dates are decided, I'll just use Stena or Brittany from Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They'll also be able to charge more as the land bridge option is out

That is a risk. We can only hope that competition between the three ro-ro ferry operators helps keep prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Because of Covid 19 or Brexit?

josip wrote:
    Because of Covid 19 or Brexit?

Brexit.

Delays and congestion at UK ports is likely to make direct ferries from Ireland to France more attractive than the land bridge. If channel ports are really chaotic, it might even be more efficient to ship from Scotland to the continent via Larne and then Dublin or Rosslare.

So the supply of ferries may not meet demand and that usually pushes up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mickyjoek

Irish Ferries 2021 summer bookings to France are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mickyjoek wrote: »

And let the rush begin...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Mickyjoek wrote: »

Not taking Bookings using Tesco Tokens yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Not taking Bookings using Tesco Tokens yet.

do you have to tell them in advance you're using tokens? Can you not pay the booking deposit now and use the tokens to pay closer to the time?

I have loads of the tokens and the Clubcard Deals that I used to spend them on have mostly ended.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    do you have to tell them in advance you're using tokens? Can you not pay the booking deposit now and use the tokens to pay closer to the time?

I have loads of the tokens and the Clubcard Deals that I used to spend them on have mostly ended.

I have always said it while Booking.

Edit to add:- I just phoned back there now and if using Tesco Tokens even in part payment then IF must be told this at time of Booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

€2,000 for the sailing late June to Cherbourg and back mid July incl a 4berth cabin. They're having a larff!
    And they're not even letting me book the 4 berth cabin for 6 people as I've always done. Recliner seat option is blocked off.

It's a bit all over the place. Not touching it at those prices

jay0109 wrote: »
    €2,000 for the sailing late June to Cherbourg and back mid July incl a 4berth cabin. They're having a larff!
    And they're not even letting me book the 4 berth cabin for 6 people as I've always done. Recliner seat option is blocked off.

Oh wow ! That is very expensive. And we were looking at similar dates.

Mickyjoek wrote:

Available from late May. Still nothing from end January until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Just booked one way Dublin to Cherbourg in July on the WB Yeats for Jeep + 3 Adults + 4 berth outside cabin with window + Club Lounge Access + Speedy Exit for €778.

Cancelled an identical itinerary on more or less the same date in July this year and my €775.20 credit covered next years sailing plus they are including their (not so) Flexi option FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Just booked for family of 5 going out the start of July and back two weeks later €1700 including speedy exit and flexy fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just booked using this year's credit. Was expecting to be on hold for ages, but got through to someone immediately. A bit more expensive than last year's trip, but marginal.

Ouch, and I though 677 for late May was steep

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Had resigned myself to not going nxt yr, but after seeing bookings opening and talking to other family that go with us, gonna price and probably book..

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Just booked one way Dublin to Cherbourg in July on the WB Yeats for Jeep + 3 Adults + 4 berth outside cabin with window + Club Lounge Access + Speedy Exit for €778.

Cancelled an identical itinerary on more or less the same date in July this year and my €775.20 credit covered next years sailing plus they are including their (not so) Flexi option FOC.

I think they've improved the flexi fare. As I recall it was pretty useless before, only refunded you if you cancelled more than a month ahead or something

The new one at least gives you 100% credit up to a week before departure

Advertisement