Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console. Charity, Irish-style

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

gctest50 wrote: »
    Con Sold. for sure
    Good one.
    Con your Soul is more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very handy that they got a week to feck off out of the country with their money, cars and files before the examiners and the judges woke up enough to file an injunction!

Was there a tip off or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

Cecelia ahern director of the uk branch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

CaraMay wrote: »
    There are no therapists left in Irish autism action either so I am curious where all the fund raising is being spent

Isn't that the one Keith Duffy quit some time ago, due to 'pressures on his time'? I know someone who asked IAA for help with her child who has
    autism, all to no avail. You should see her reaction whenever she sees Duffy on TV!! :mad: I was intrigued to see that he has set up a new
    'foundation' in his own name, in spite of the fact that he had to resign from IAA because he did not have the time to devote himself to it anymore!!
    Why do I smell a rat? :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Isn't that the one Keith Duffy quit some time ago, due to 'pressures on his time'? I know someone who asked IAA for help with her child who has
    autism, all to no avail. You should see her reaction whenever she sees Duffy on TV!! :mad: I was intrigued to see that he has set up a new
    'foundation' in his own name, in spite of the fact that he had to resign from IAA because he did not have the time to devote himself to it anymore!!
    Why do I smell a rat? :(

what, what, what? IAA i did a marathon for those

• Advertisement

Cecelia Larkin so to speak

:eek:

:eek:

Bertie has already popped up in this story, denying all knowledge, but things just got interesting

Mary63 wrote: »
    He probably put on the pilot suit and got into the cockpit of a transatlantic jet,he knows how to fly the plane but not how to land it.

Catch Me If You Can indeed!! :D

selastich2 wrote: »
    what, what, what? IAA i did a marathon for those

It would be interesting to hear from people they have actually helped.
    My friend had no success when she contacted them; a local charity in
    her area has provided a lot of assistance for her and others in
    similar circumstances.

similar circumstances.

I know someone they helped, mediated with schools for places, not sure what other assistance but they were raving about them at the time. One guy in particular was brilliant. It may be area dependent ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Cecelia Larkin so to speak

Kelly was known to put names of people as "trustees" without their knowledge so I wouldn't read anything into this other than another name he added without asking.

I'm guessing that the amount accruing to the kelly family will end up in the €3m + area

Revenue / CAB will probably get involved and between taxes and penalties their private property could be (hopefully) taken.

VincePP wrote: »
    Kelly was known to put names of people as "trustees" without their knowledge so I wouldn't read anything into this other than another name he added without asking.

I'm guessing that the amount accruing to the kelly family will end up in the €3m + area

Revenue / CAB will probably get involved and between taxes and penalties their private property could be (hopefully) taken.

Nah, she actively resigned from the UK board, she was in full knowledge

similar circumstances.

Its important to separate the kellys from the excellent counsellors who do great work for very small money - that's if they actually got paid.

Its important to separate the kellys from the excellent counsellors who do great work for very small money - that's if they actually got paid.

This hopefully is no reflection on the hardworking frontline councilors, I have nothing but praise and respect for those peope

I know someone they helped, mediated with schools for places, not sure what other assistance but they were raving about them at the time. One guy in particular was brilliant. It may be area dependent ?

Console had brilliant people working for it also. With all due respect, not
    much money is needed to mediate with a school (unless a bribe was involved) ;)
    Good to hear IAA did help someone. But, according to an earlier post, they
    have no therapists now. Poster was wondering where fundraising money
    was gone.

Console had brilliant people working for it also. With all due respect, not
    much money is needed to mediate with a school (unless a bribe was involved) ;)
    Good to hear IAA did help someone. But, according to an earlier post, they
    have no therapists now. Poster was wondering where fundraising money
    was gone.

Ah, yeah a few phone calls. All necessary therapist was paid for privately, outside of the IAA

I must find out

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Nah, she actively resigned from the UK board, she was in full knowledge

Michael d Higgins was a patron

Mary mcaleese was a patron.

Noel Smyth - solicitor and property developer opened a 500k centre for him.

He got the people of the year award

He got a princess grace award

He go an award from uk labour party.

This was a very convincing scammer. I wouldn't hold anything against anyone who was "sold" by him, both public figures and many who gave services.

Unfortunately there are some that will pick one name and then create their own Walter mitty situation. A bit like kelly himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Charity industry is completely wrecked in this country, very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Another named as a trustee
    Celia Larkin last night moved to distance herself from the board of a Console UK charity after it emerged she was named as a trustee of the organisation, in court.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/celia-larkin-moves-to-distance-herself-from-console-uk-34850791.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Really interesting how the Independent are all but ignoring the story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seems James Reilly as Minister for Health seems to have been informed 3 years ago of the problems.
    But then he was preoccupied fixing up things for his own constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Charity is just business. You are selling guilt-relief like the church used to sell indulgences.

Any good work done is merely a pleasant side effect of people trying to make money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

similar circumstances.

Well they have no therapists left, seemingly haven't paid their rent for a year, some staff got redundancy last year and are back working there....

We did get help from them but the course was paid for by a private donor, not iaa. Kids were jumped up the queue if you knew staff members / Keith Duffy. That course finished up and now there's nothing available.

I would love to know where the money is going.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Charity is just business. You are selling guilt-relief like the church used to sell indulgences.

Any good work done is merely a pleasant side effect of people trying to make money.

Probably the best description ever :)

There are a few exceptions - but very few.

Totally agree. I have heard several people say that the help they received from the Console counsellors was top notch. But those counsellors were employed as private contractors by Console and were often not paid.

My previous comment to which you replied referred to Irish Autism Action which, apparently, does not have therapists any more. Another poster had been asking where had the fundraising money gone. I am intrigued as to why Keith Duffy has resigned from IAA to set up a foundation in his own name. Not insinuating that one has anything to do with the other!

Ah, yeah a few phone calls. All necessary therapist was paid for privately, outside of the IAA

I must find out

So, did IAA provide any financial help for your friend? They most certainly did not for mine!!
    On the other hand, a charity close to her home has provided invaluable assistance to her for
    several years past. As mentioned earlier, she almost hisses at the TV whenever she sees Keith
    Duffy on it!! ;)

CaraMay wrote: »
    Well they have no therapists left, seemingly haven't paid their rent for a year, some staff got redundancy last year and are back working there....

We did get help from them but the course was paid for by a private donor, not iaa. Kids were jumped up the queue if you knew staff members / Keith Duffy. That course finished up and now there's nothing available.

I would love to know where the money is going.

I did not know all that! :( I had heard alright that help was forthcoming if you were 'in'.

I had my suspicions when Duffy resigned from IAA, stating that it was due to all his 'other commitments',
    only to set up a 'foundation' in his own name some time afterwards!! Iirc, he had one of those black-tie
    fundraisers in the Powerscourt Enniskerry, formerly Ritz-Carlton. It struck me at the time that IAA would
    feel betrayed by that, as he had regularly held fundraising balls in the same Ritz-Carlton when he was involved
    with them.

Now that 'charity' is a disgraced brand, it seems the done thing to make a few bob for yourself is to establish
    a 'foundation'!! The sooner the Charity Regulator gets some effective powers, the better. However, I shall not
    hold my breath on that score!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

This hopefully is no reflection on the hardworking frontline councilors, I have nothing but praise and respect for those peope

Most Councillors are scumbags too, like the majority of politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Forgetting Console for a minute why are we not asking the same questions about every charity because a lot of things just don't make sense..

Can someone explain to me why most of Ireland's "charities"" chairs etc drive new company cars..it's a "voluntary" organisation but we forgot to mention 7 of our paid staff drive BMWs everyone who isn't paid dedicates their life to actually doing the volunteering....

I never support large charities as I feel they pay far too much in wages for me personally the type I see doing the most work are generally run by people who are not doing it because they need to make a living but because they have made a living and now want a past time - retired etc.

Granted this is terrible but really it's no big deal all of the bigger charities are the same really, the people at the top are more motivated by the money they make than the cause they support. RE: console why weren't the HSE putting that 500k into providing more counselling services to public patients to lessen the backlog - that money would have paid 10ish therapists for a year

Advertisement