Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console. Charity, Irish-style

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I noticed one of the clothes recycling banks here has the Console logo on it. Now that brand is tarnished in the mind of thousands. I feel sorry for those who donated and the frontline staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I noticed one of the clothes recycling banks here has the Console logo on it. Now that brand is tarnished in the mind of thousands. I feel sorry for those who donated and the frontline staff.
    Charidee clothes recycling banks? Would ya go way. What percentage do the charities get? Big, big lucrative money making spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Just heard on the radio that it appears himself and the wife have done a legger.... :mad: They can't be located by their lawyers. The sister was served with the injunction today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

HiGlo wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that it appears himself and the wife have done a legger.... :mad: They can't be located by their lawyers. The sister was served with the injunction today.

Probably hopped on a plane to England yesterday.
    David Hall was on VinB last night and stated that while they had managed to freeze all credit cards / access to Irish accounts, there was a Console related account in the UK with 100k Sterling in it that they couldn't freeze. He was saying it was imperative that that account should also be frozen.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's were they've went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

PARlance wrote: »
    Probably hopped on a plane to England yesterday.
    David Hall was on VinB last night and stated that while they had managed to freeze all credit cards / access to Irish accounts, there was a Console related account in the UK with 100k Sterling in it that they couldn't freeze. He was saying it was imperative that that account should also be frozen.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's were they've went.

And there is talk of a paypal account set up to receive donations that they cannot determine where the money is going.

It's like an onion. More to come on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

All fingers point to the ownership of the office in Westminster London is in the name of Paul Kelly, David Hall as much said so on whineline

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

A few years ago at my then workplace we did a series of events raising thousands for this charity. Makes me sick to think of it.

Re-enforces of my view of only giving to a select few (mainly local and all researched properly) charities. Not a cent to any others.

A few years ago at my then workplace we did a series of events raising thousands for this charity. Makes me sick to think of it.

Re-enforces of my view of only giving to a select few (mainly local and all researched properly) charities. Not a cent to any others.

I hear you. The trouble is determining which ones are legit and which are not.

Many people will just stop donating to the brand name charities as they fear they are all self serving and corrupt
    I am one of them. Local community charities only from now on.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    However,it looks like RTE,in the days when it COULD make worthwhile TV,did quite a job on this lad....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-exposed-kelly-26-years-ago-i-guess-some-people-never-change-34848107.html

Revisiting the crimescene,indeed !! :(

And she did nothing.

I'd also like to hear what Health Minister Reilly knew/did about this when he was told there was skulduggery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement

A few years ago, after the CRC/Rehab scandal broke, there was another story about a charity which was established for women, I think they may have been survivors of cancer.

Anyway most people would have assumed donations were going towards counselling & medical care, but it turned out there was just a group of ladies getting makeovers and going in groups to spas & hotels.

There was a mild amount of tut-tutting in a small article in the Irish Times, but there was no more about it. Does anyone remember the story, or the name of the charity concerned? I think it was a cancer charity.

I think people are sometimes reluctant to push stories like this, because nobody likes to come down hard on vulnerable people. But vulnerable people, including those who survive cancer, or whose relatives died by suicide, are also capable of mismanagement and breaching public trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

freuden slips here by the indo rehad :pac:

The People of the Year Awards has written to controversial Console director Paul Kelly and asked him to return his ward.

The Awards, run by the Rehad group, said it had made the decision "in light of the revelations in recent days and on foot of queries from members of the public

http ://www. independent.ie/irish-news/news/console-director-paul-kelly-asked-to-give-back-people-of-the-year-award-34849286.html".

Who really gives a fcuk about a poxy People of The Year Award?

We want the money back, Rehab can quit whining about their silly knick-knack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

There are no therapists left in Irish autism action either so I am curious where all the fund raising is being spent

If only we could sort the HSE out so there is less/no dependence on the charity sector to provide these type of services.

CRC, Rehab, Console...all in receipt of HSE funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You have to laugh, I just went onto the Console website, out of curiosity.

Thankfully it appears the Paypal donation facility has been suspended. But at the bottom of the page:
    To have any questions answered please call +353 (0)1 610 2638 or email paul@console.ie.

I think we all have a lot of questions we'd like Paul to answer.

Winterlong wrote: »
    If only we could sort the HSE out so there is less/no dependence on the charity sector to provide these type of services.

CRC, Rehab, Console...all in receipt of HSE funding.

Stinks of here's a pile of money go do what we should be doing

Comedy Gold :

whole college full of paddy psychiatrists & no-one spotted yer mans a looper ?

http://bit.ly/29bhIeU

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cecelia Larkin so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

There was a lot of money spent by Positive Action,it was a charity set up to help women who were given contaminated blood as far as I remember.

There was a big hue and cry when it was discovered a good portion of the money raised was spent on holidays and spa treatments and days out.

Im not sure where its at now regarding that charity and nothing seems to have happened in the Rehab case either.

This will all die a death too and possibly no charges will stick.Paul Kelly will say he was CEO and he could spend the money whatever way he likes.

Its the HSE who have questions to answer and the first one is how much money did they give Console after James o Reilly was told by a member of the public that Paul Kelly had form.The citizen was told to contact a senior figure in the Department of Health and that person more or less said we cant touch him because the charity deals with the suicidal and if Console didnt answer the phones who would,at that stage there were only two phone lines left,Paul Kelly cut the other four because there was no money to pay the bills.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the suicide figures are increasing year on year and the victims getting younger and younger.Console should be dismantled now along with all the other charities involved with suicide and the State should do its job and provide services directly.Young people spend most of their time in schools so fully qualified professionals should be employed in individual schools to provide support to struggling teens,I dont mean people who have done a course provided for three thousand euros by Paul Kelly,this was another little sideline.He actually got people to enrol on courses provided by him,got them to hand up work which was never returned and nor was the course validated by anyone.

Some parts of this story have made me laugh,it could only happen in Ireland.

ETA,I suppose he will qualify for free legal aid.

• Advertisement

Mary63 wrote: »
    There was a lot of money spent by Positive Action,it was a charity set up to help women who were given contaminated blood as far as I remember.

There was a big hue and cry when it was discovered a good portion of the money raised was spent on holidays and spa treatments and days out.

Im not sure where its at now regarding that charity and nothing seems to have happened in the Rehab case either.
    Ah, that's the charity I was trying to recall earlier!

Apparently it's been liquidated, and the Director's sentence has been adjourned, pending her ability to return the money she stole. (Apparently she is 'expecting an inheritance from her aunt', lol)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/woman-who-stole-116-000-from-hepatitis-c-charity-given-chance-to-raise-money-1.2578878

Other wrongdoing at the charity, such as expenditure on weekends away, angel therapy, etc. seems to have gone ignored.

I hope her Aunt isnt Paul Kellys wife,i feel a bit sorry for Paul actually,his wife will be shrieking at him now and she wont like living in a Dublin Corporation flat when the Gardai catch up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope her Aunt isnt Paul Kellys wife,i feel a bit sorry for Paul actually,his wife will be shrieking at him now and she wont like living in a Dublin Corporation flat when the Gardai catch up with them.

They are gone.

The money is gone from here, but there may be more in the UK.

They will never have to live in a council house (nothing wrong with such houses, but they will never need one).

They were given a full week to scarper. Then the injunction went in, and the assets/bank accounts frozen.

Have they got friends in High Places or what?

Absolutely disgusted.

Anyway the CAB might be able to get their house in Clane. But they could argue that it is not a company asset. Hey ho.

More to come.....

Word on the street Liveline was that they've hightailed it down to Spain.

Perhaps those Kinehan boys are hiring a Director of Business Development.

He probably put on the pilot suit and got into the cockpit of a transatlantic jet,he knows how to fly the plane but not how to land it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its hilarious that REHAB is taking the high ground asking for their award back, shur there as bad as him

There seems to be a sense here that the operations of some charitable and non-governmental organisations should be handed over to the state to avoid corruption and embezzlement as if it were exclusive to that sector. Remember FÁS people, the now rebranded beacon of shining light, Solas.

What about the former FÁS employee at Baggot Street HQ James Brooke Tyrrell, a most gentmanly of figures, jailed for defrauding the organisation and the state of over €600K to top up his salary for cars, holidays and home improvements.

Con artists going to con and find their way into services directly set up to meet a social objective or target the vulnerable and disadvantaged which often have lots of public funding thrown at them where there is already a complacent culture around accountability and scrutiny. None of this surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No more donations. Why would you?

Absolutely laughable that Rehab are looking for the award to be returned. A pure deflection tactic. I would imagine even AK47 is in awe of Paul Kelly.

• Advertisement

Con Sold. for sure

Advertisement