Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby at the olympics. The draw is as follows ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The ticker on the bottom of Sky News is gas

GREST BRITAIN HAVE WON A MEN'S RUGBY SEVENS SILVER MEDAL AT RIO OLYMPICS WHILE FIJI TOOK GOLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

piers morgan lashing them on twitter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

kuang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus bbc jumped away from that fairly lively! I guess no post-match analysis required!!!

They do that with everything. I get they have a lot to show but it's fairly annoying. They only go back for the medal ceremony if there's a Brit involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Omackeral wrote: »

GREST BRITAIN HAVE WON A MEN'S RUGBY SEVENS SILVER MEDAL AT RIO OLYMPICS WHILE FIJI TOOK GOLD

And? What should it say? Sky and BBC are British stations. What exactly are you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Delighted for Fiji
    The pre match and first half BBC commentary there was absolutely hilarious.

"We're fitter and stronger, we have s real chance here"
    "This will be very tight"

At 22-0

"We're still in this"

Lolballs.

I missed that as was watching on RTE but friend text me to say they said something like "Seen as we just bet SA who are running rampage on japan think we can be very confident of gold"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Delighted for Fiji, those guys will be heroes forever in their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

and yet completely ****e at 15's. gas

Gas? Not at all, sad. It would be great to see them develop as a team, given access to their players and have regular games against tier 1 teams. How else can they improve? What we did to them a few years ago downgrading the November international to a non capped game was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fiji were just outstanding in that final. No team could have lived with them. How do you play a team that are so good at keeping the ball alive and so good at running support lines? Even the way they go into contact is all about trying to ensure the offload. Go high and they slip down so that they can offload from the deck, go low and they'll offload in contact, get a second man in and it's the basketball pass. And when they have that much possession your defensive line is such a mess that if you do win a turnover you can't capitalise on it.

Delighted for Fiji and couldn't help but think it'd be great craic to be at it watching their fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Well Done Fiji

its only fitting that they got gold, after dominating the sport for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

clsmooth wrote: »
    Gas? Not at all, sad. It would be great to see them develop as a team, given access to their players and have regular games against tier 1 teams. How else can they improve? What we did to them a few years ago downgrading the November international to a non capped game was a disgrace.

that was so it could be played outside Aviva afaik

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Fiji were just outstanding in that final. No team could have lived with them. How do you play a team that are so good at keeping the ball alive and so good at running support lines?

styles make fights.
    nz normally push them close .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/83049145/Rio-Olympics-2016-Fiji-bounce-New-Zealand-out-as-refereeing-calls-under-fire

by all accounts the ref had a shocker too.

nz are able to get under their skin.

think england completely shat the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

delighted for Fiji - always love the way they play - best game of tournament for me was Japan/NZ -

good to see francois hoooohaaaaaa with a medal. always liked him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Omackeral wrote: »

well Fiji are getting nothing but praise on BBC 5 live, no sour grapes

philstar wrote: »
    well Fiji are getting nothing but praise on BBC 5 live, no sour grapes

Often the standard of commentary and punditry on 5 Live is much better than the people they use on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Result never in doubt and it was game over almost straight away. Well done Fiji

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭A-Train

What a performance by Fiji never in doubt! People looking at me funny in the pub cheering for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

styles make fights.
    nz normally push them close .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/83049145/Rio-Olympics-2016-Fiji-bounce-New-Zealand-out-as-refereeing-calls-under-fire

by all accounts the ref had a shocker too.

nz are able to get under their skin.

think england completely shat the bed.

England weren't playing at the Olympics. Were you watching some other tournament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Whats the point of downgrading a game :confused:

Charizard wrote: »
    Whats the point of downgrading a game :confused:

It was done so the game could be held outside the Aviva (i.e. contractual issues). That part I understand, but it was a lack of respect towards the Fijian team, an away test against a tier 1 team downgraded to an exhibition game. Can you imagine if another team did that to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It was done so the game could be held outside the Aviva (i.e. contractual issues). That part I understand, but it was a lack of respect towards the Fijian team, an away test against a tier 1 team downgraded to an exhibition game. Can you imagine if another team did that to us?

they have also been on the end of some very dubious refereeing calls in tight matches down the years , lost some of there key players to bigger nations - they bring so much to the game it would be great if they could bring there 7s success to the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Thats madness, you think they would try get the smaller games to the other provinces, they would fill out west easily

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It was disrespectful but whats the alternative?
    Charizard wrote: »
    Thats madness, you think they would try get the smaller games to the other provinces, they would fill out west easily
    Contract deal with Aviva means they cant. When that ends IRFU may get change so they can move so games. Isnt really madness to some extent but it is frustrating especially as with 20s and womens sides playing in Donnybrook there isn't any internationals outside of D4

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

silver medal !!! well done the donovans!!1

It was disrespectful but whats the alternative?

Play the game in the Aviva. Drop ticket prices or sell them as a package with the tickets for the other games for that series. Or cheap tickets for school kids to encourage kids interest in rugby.

Play the game in the Aviva. Drop ticket prices or sell them as a package with the tickets for the other games for that series. Or cheap tickets for school kids to encourage kids interest in rugby.
    But what about the rest of the country? Its totally ridiculous that the 3 main international sides now only play their home games in D4.
    What about move games to Limerick, Belfast, Cork, Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

_90761470_bank2.jpg

Ha ha. This is twitter at its best :)

But what about the rest of the country? Its totally ridiculous that the 3 main international sides now only play their home games in D4.
    What about move games to Limerick, Belfast, Cork, Galway?

Forgive my ignorance but what are the 3 main international sides?

Forgive my ignorance but what are the 3 main international sides?
    Meant to expand on that but 3 main sides who compete in 6Ns. Men, Women, 20s. All ints are now in D4 in Aviva or Donnybrook...

• Advertisement

Meant to expand on that but 3 main sides who compete in 6Ns. Men, Women, 20s. All ints are now in D4 in Aviva or Donnybrook...

Ah, I see, I was thinking rugby, soccer and then I was drawing a blank.

Advertisement