Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks opening in Waterford

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

looksee wrote: »
    As I said. Other countries give it different names, but it is still the same end result. That article simply says that PP is the permission that has to be sought in UK and Ireland. Nowhere does it say that there is no equivalent anywhere else.

In other countries you don't have to seek permission from corrupt local councillors. The law is clear and simple on the matter and is far cheaper to comply with than it is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

In other countries you don't have to seek permission from corrupt local councillors. The law is clear and simple on the matter and is far cheaper to comply with than it is in Ireland.

Building Permits (aka Planning Permission) are/is required everywhere in the EU, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand to name a few places.

http://www.academia.edu/4877331/Comparison_of_building_permit_procedures_in_European_Union_countries_presentation_

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Ireland and the UK are the only two countries in the world with planning permission. Every other country seems to get by without planning permission, I don't see what's so special about Ireland and the UK that we require it.

not very up to date on things are you..... tell you what u go to any city in America/Canada/european countries and try to open up a shop with out getting permission from the local council for it....
    If you think Planning is bad here... you should try getting it in US and Canada... makes your eyes water

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there anything else you can think of to do bitter and twisted about?

Jambo wrote: »
    Building Permits (aka Planning Permission) are/is required everywhere in the EU, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand to name a few places.

http://www.academia.edu/4877331/Comparison_of_building_permit_procedures_in_European_Union_countries_presentation_

They are fundamentally different in nature to what is in place in the UK and Ireland. If the plans comply with regulations then they can be built. In the UK and Ireland they can be refused for whatever reason the corrupt councillors please.

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    not very up to date on things are you..... tell you what u go to any city in America/Canada/european countries and try to open up a shop with out getting permission from the local council for it....
    If you think Planning is bad here... you should try getting it in US and Canada... makes your eyes water

Ireland is one of the most difficult and expensive places in the rich world to build. That is an indisputable fact. The US and Canada don't even come close.

looksee wrote: »
    Is there anything else you can think of to do bitter and twisted about?

Resorting to personal insults just because somebody disagrees with you. Sounds like you're the bitter one here.

Ireland is one of the most difficult and expensive places in the rich world to build. That is an indisputable fact. The US and Canada don't even come close.

indisputable fact.... cool I love them.... lets see the facts please... very curious as i have worked on projects requiring building permits in the US and in ireland... and have found the US to be way more strict and controlling... so please lets see these indisputable facts..

robtri wrote: »
    indisputable fact.... cool I love them.... lets see the facts please... very curious as i have worked on projects requiring building permits in the US and in ireland... and have found the US to be way more strict and controlling... so please lets see these indisputable facts..

Regulatory costs add €106,421 to the cost of building a hypothetical warehouse in Dublin. The figure is $8,317 for New York. I'll leave you do the currency conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Regulatory costs add €106,421 to the cost of building a hypothetical warehouse in Dublin. The figure is $8,317 for New York. I'll leave you do the currency conversion.

They didnt build. Why are you attempting terribly to defend scambucks?

• Advertisement

thats an amazing number they managed to come up with.... especially the €101,000 to obtain planning permission... when according to foe example Waterford city council the charge is €3.60 per sq m.... or €4,680 (for that example development.... not €101,000 ....

and what have you got for difficult??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They are fundamentally different in nature to what is in place in the UK and Ireland. If the plans comply with regulations then they can be built. In the UK and Ireland they can be refused for whatever reason the corrupt councillors please.

I genuinely laughed out loud when you said Ireland and the UK are the only places in the world with planning permission,and if you think that Ireland has corrupt councillors, they are a drop in the ocean compared to most African/Asian countries.

You need to get out of your bedroom and see the world.

I genuinely laughed out loud when you said Ireland and the UK are the only places in the world with planning permission,and if you think that Ireland has corrupt councillors, they are a drop in the ocean compared to most African/Asian countries.

You need to get out of your bedroom and see the world.

If you have an issue with what I said then you can edit the Wikipedia page I used as a source. Or you can continue making mocking comments to cover up your ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

See thats the thing you're using a source that can be edited by anyone.

See thats the thing you're using a source that can be edited by anyone.

And sources have to provided for those edits.

Advertisement