Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks opening in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Why is a local person using a franchise any different to a local person using their own name?

This kind of attitude isnt a million miles off this other clown who thinks all the "non-nationals" steal the jobs. People whinge about town being crap for shops then wont shop in the new shops unless they are opened by a blonde haired blue eyed Waterford person.

Do you take this attitude with every shop or just the new ones? Ever shop in Argos, Debenhams, Penneys or any of them other shops that arent from Ireland?

Yes my attitude of wanting to shop at a locally owned coffee shop that buys from Irish suppliers rather than a massive corporate brand is not a million miles from being a racist :cool: .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

edbrez wrote: »
    Wait 'till they ask your name to write on the paper cup and can't spell it.

That's a marketing ploy from Starbucks. They do it purposely so people will upload pictures of their cups on social media talking about the "wrong" name being put on the cup, with the shiny Starbucks logo in full view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Another marketing ploy is there won't be one local person working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Not only does that make zero sense, its basically a repeat of a previous pig ignorant post of yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

What's ignorant about pointing out this fact? They'd shouldn't be allowed open in Waterford unless they promise to hire a % of people from the town.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

edbrez wrote:
    What's ignorant about pointing out this fact? They'd shouldn't be allowed open in Waterford unless they promise to hire a % of people from the town.

If you were opening a business In any town or city you would hire people who live locally for many reasons . Flexibility or if you had extra hours to give at short notice you would want people living fairly near. Why do you think the Starbucks franchise holder won't employ people who live local ?

There is no facts in what you post , just the ignorance and dog whistle talk that closet racists use.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Failed the interview eh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Reading the thread shows me another thing waterford is being so negative about. There getting a Starbucks that means there is about 10 new jobs for the city. While it might not be much but its still 10 jobs at the end of the day.

Then I see the post about having to hire local people e.g. as a % for the place ?. Coming from a mixed background and growing up in the hospitality industry i know that its next to imposable to get locals to work the hours as there very anti social and you end up working with people from all over the world and i love that as you find out about the world from people.

All i can say is that i am wishing Starbucks good luck in waterford they need it with so many negative people around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have always been served by a local person in Starbucks Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Reading the thread shows me another thing waterford is being so negative about. There getting a Starbucks that means there is about 10 new jobs for the city. While it might nU?uot be much but its still 10 jobs at the end of the day.

Then I see the post about having to hire local people e.g. as a % for the place ?. Coming from a mixed background and growing up in the hospitality industry i know that its next to imposable to get locals to work the hours as there very anti social and you end up working with people from all over the world and i love that as you find out about the world from people.

All i can say is that i am wishing Starbucks good luck in waterford they need it with so many negative people around :)

Ease up there Apple, we all welcomed the jobs and just one moron made idiotic comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Officially confirmed for the former Toymaster unit in John Roberts Square.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/71879-starbucks-to-open-in-waterford.html

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Officially confirmed for the former Toymaster unit in John Roberts Square.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/71879-starbucks-to-open-in-waterford.html

Wlr just lifted that from the Waterford News & Star's piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

The last time I was in that building it was Compustore, it's a nice building - hope Starbucks will operate on all 3 floors. All the apple users can have a floor to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

eeloe wrote: »
    You are aware Starbucks in Ireland is a franchise business

I dont think this is true - I have found no evidence on line of it bring a franchise including no obvious way to apply for it.

A quick search shows evidence to the contrary - i.e. its all company owned.

Maybe Starbucks Ireland is run as a whole as a franchise - but in that case I would expect the same business practices to be applied (i.e. close down local businesses).

It appears to be going that way in Dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

All Starbucks in Ireland are company owned.

they will use local people in their stores

they will generally use in country vendors for construction

they will generally use in country delivery companies

when they get enough stores and it makes financial sense they will use irish vendors for print and condiment products...

they will pay taxes and contribute to the local system

yes some of the profits will go back to HQ..

robtri wrote: »

when they get enough stores and it makes financial sense they will use irish vendors for print and condiment products...

they will pay taxes and contribute to the local system

yes some of the profits will go back to HQ..

While in the short term this may be good (more local employment and other benefits you mention) long term the business model is not so good for the local economy. Sttarbucks willover saturate an area with the goal of closing as many existing competitors as possible. They will then reduce the number of their own stores leaving 1 or 2 starbucks only and a bunch of closed businesses. The net effect on the local economy is less choice for consumers and no change to employment etc.

Local to where I live similar happened with Tesco and Super Value. ! small super value and 3 small Tescos opened.. hailed as good for jobs etc. But pretty soon after 2 independent corner shops, 1 mace and a spar all closed.

Now maybe it could be the small businesses were close to the wall anyway and long term there is some job security working for testo/starbucks.. but what happens when the big companies with the big accountants stop even paying taxes to Ireland?

but what happens when the big companies with the big accountants stop even paying taxes to Ireland?

exact same when small shops stop paying taxes and rates... (which is generally more common)

as to their business model of closing down all local stores, lets be honest its not them closing stores, it is because locals start to use Starbucks and stop using local places. If people in waterford are interested in supporting local they can and can keep them afloat, this is not Starbucks doing this is locals not supporting locals

this is not Starbucks doing this is locals not supporting locals

ye fair point.. don't get me wrong - if I was Mr Starbucks Id be doing the same... and possibly more with a name like Mr Starbucks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

km991148 wrote: »
    I dont think this is true - I have found no evidence on line of it bring a franchise including no obvious way to apply for it.

Starbucks sold the Irish operation in 2012 to Ciaran & Colm Butler - they also own all the leisureplex complexes and involved with TGI Fridays.

Like any business, they will employ the best people for the positions. I would guess most will be local Waterford people, but some may come from Kilkenny side. You may even find the odd wexford person there from New Ross. :)

• Advertisement

VincePP wrote: »
    Starbucks sold the Irish operation in 2012 to Ciaran & Colm Butler - they also own all the leisureplex complexes and involved with TGI Fridays.

Like any business, they will employ the best people for the positions. I would guess most will be local Waterford people, but some may come from Kilkenny side. You may even find the odd wexford person there from New Ross. :)

Have you a link to this,
    my understanding was they where under licence to them to run them but still owned by Starbucks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Who cares. There going to employe locals and it's locals that contribute to our economy both locally and nationally. There's loads of businesses similar operating in Waterford!!

Sully wrote: »
    Who cares.

well if you read back you will see a few people care.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Max Powers wrote: »

There is no facts in what you post , just the ignorance and dog whistle talk that closet racists use.
    It really brings down discussions to the lowest common dominator to talk about racism. The argument he is making is to employ people who can do the job, rather lure over people with few options from across the continent, which is what many businesses do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

This discussion is getting quite pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Have you a link to this,
    my understanding was they where under licence to them to run them but still owned by Starbucks

The Irish operation was fully licensed to Entertainment Enterprises a company wholly owned by the Butler brothers.

They own and operate all Starbucks stores in Ireland.

They pay Starbucks a licence fee + purchase all coffee from Starbucks. Cakes and sandwiches are sourced locally though the sandwiches are made just outside Belfast. (as an original nordy I call that local)

This discussion is getting quite pedantic.

good observation, thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BobbyB90

'Let' sign just gone up on the unit between Supermacs & Subway on the Dunmore Rd, shortly after the unit has had a very sleek black & grey makeover....
    Ominously Starbuck-ish!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have Dealz expanded to that vacant unit where speculation that Starbucks was going before we knew the Toymaster site?

Passed yesterday and the place looks bigger but it could just be me. Unit next to old Elverys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yes, they did.

Advertisement