Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks opening in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Thats actually not complex at all. You just descrided a capitalist system. If you want a totally fair economy they your looking at communism. Look how well that worked out!

Whereas I don’t completely disagree with you at the same time the fire sector as you call it and all large companies create many jobs directly, create more through contracts and other spending. They take from an economy but they give back as well. A utopian society is never going to be achieved it is just a fantasy. Yes capitalism is prone to periodic shocks and can reduce people to mere consumers. However the reason why capitalist has lasted is that it allows people the freedom to succeed. As has been said above other systems have been tried and they have not exactly made the average person rich. Sure look at China it was only when they started to embrace capitalism that the average person started to come out of poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thats actually not complex at all. You just descrided a capitalist system. If you want a totally fair economy they your looking at communism. Look how well that worked out!

please do some more research into this, the people ive mentioned are a good start. many post on sites like naked capitalism. i have found those that have done very little research nearly always harp back to communism! i do think ha-joon chang is probably right, capitalism is a pretty good system compared to the rest, the only problem is, we re following the worst kind of capitalism, i.e. neoliberalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

What the F is the fire sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Max Powers wrote: »

Finance or Financial - it has to be!

Max Powers wrote: »
    looksee wrote: »
    Finance or Financial - it has to be!

FIRE - Finance, Insurance and Real Estate as depicted by american economist Michael Hudson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

All I know next time I am in Waterford I am going to have my

Tall skinny grande mocha iced steamed coffee and go yummy coffee.

While the doom and gloom in Waterford is outside with there pitchforks going down with major company's

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BobbyB90

No planning permission for change of use on the Starbucks Premises, so that's the opening stalled for 2-3 months... Not dissimilar to what happened recently in Cork with the retention orders.

Enjoy the bin liners over the sign for a few weeks to come!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BobbyB90 wrote: »
    No planning permission for change of use on the Starbucks Premises, so that's the opening stalled for 2-3 months... Not dissimilar to what happened recently in Cork with the retention orders.

Enjoy the bin liners over the sign for a few weeks to come!

Weren't the Cork stores open during the retention process thou, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something similar happening in Waterford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I thought it was to open this weekend?! Fully stocked and stuff like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Any news on it opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

My two teenage daughters used to love going to Dublin to drink it, and I hate the bloody stuff. I think it’s a vile coffee.

Unsure if that's really necessary for Cllr Joe Conway to be saying that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

iseegirls wrote:
    Unsure if that's really necessary for Cllr Joe Conway to be saying that.

What's the issue with someone not liking the taste of a product?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

It's a joke that they even need to apply for planning permission. They've made no changes to the outside except for a paint job on the entrance. I suppose we need nonsense laws like this so our useless local councillors can keep getting their brown envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What's the issue with someone not liking the taste of a product?

No need for him to say that at all, using words such as vile, when speaking to the national press. What good does that comment offer.

God help it if Nandos, Wagamama or Milanos ever want to locate here, when you've got a local councillor who speaks ill of their main product to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

I don't understand the gripes people have with Starbucks and using Arch Coffee and Portico as benchmarks for what coffee shops are and should be, can I just highlight that coming out of the summer season neither of these will have indoor seating of note.

On the other hand I don't understand the love other people have for it, as if they went on a city break to New York/London/Dublin and the only thing they came back with was the enlightenment of what a coffee shop is and what we are missing out on in Waterford.

Its a coffee shop that ultimately will offer choice to Waterford City center and that is good in my eyes. My favourite coffee shop, Gallways for the win but if someday I fancy a Coffee cooler or youghart based drink that Gallways or many of the other coffee shops in town don't offer well then I will probably go to Starbucks, and that is why this is good, it gives us choice, and another option and makes the competition up their game, for instance Carters coffee now offer a range of coolera/iced tea and retro sweets, because they knew they had to change it up with Costa openning on their doorstep, and lets be fair their outdoor seating area is always wedged with people.

With regards a counciller weighing in on this like said by a previous poster, well for me that just shows that we have too many councillers in town and they don't have enough work to keep them stimulated.

Waterford has bigger issues than a coffee shop openning......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

It's a joke that they even need to apply for planning permission. They've made no changes to the outside except for a paint job on the entrance. I suppose we need nonsense laws like this so our useless local councillors can keep getting their brown envelopes.

The joke is that Starbucks think the laws and rules set out need not apply to them.

Starbucks know the rules, that need planning permission (which would be just a formality but there is a fair process to give all citizens a chance to make their voices heard) but have decided as part of their expansion program to ignore these and just do as they see fit...

this is not a mistake on Starbucks part but a deliberate disregard for the planning process...

While I applaud every one job created, I am appalled that a company such as Starbucks have scant regard for due process...
    its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Why are people complaining? I really don't get it. These are the people holding Waterford back. For years we have been trying to get bigger companies like Starbucks to open in Waterford and as soon as it opens up, people find something to give out about.

Obviously the planning process is there for a reason and I understand that, but it's really not as if they've turned it upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A culture of letting the big boys ignore the law doesn't end well. You would think people would know that in this country after the last few decades and all the corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hot chocolate €4.25 / hot chocolate in Georges Court €2.90

Hot chocolate €4.25 / hot chocolate in Georges Court €2.90

holy s*it. wanna be good stuff for that price

Theboybang wrote: »
    Why are people complaining? I really don't get it. These are the people holding Waterford back. For years we have been trying to get bigger companies like Starbucks to open in Waterford and as soon as it opens up, people find something to give out about.

Obviously the planning process is there for a reason and I understand that, but it's really not as if they've turned it upside down.

So if JR Square ends up surrounded by Ann Sommers and Lovejoy franchises, Paddy Power, hairdressers, Insurance offices, massage parlours, etc, that will be ok? Or is there to be some sort of regulation that states that coffee shops and international name stores don't have to have planning permission? So they move in and the local stores get squeezed out? Or what do you have in mind?

So if JR Square ends up surrounded by Ann Sommers and Lovejoy franchises, Paddy Power, hairdressers, Insurance offices, massage parlours, etc, that will be ok? Or is there to be some sort of regulation that states that coffee shops and international name stores don't have to have planning permission? So they move in and the local stores get squeezed out? Or what do you have in mind?

I don't see any issue with that. A business shouldn't have to satisfy uptight snobs to open a premises. They should only have to worry about satisfying their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Well if there is an opening in the market, I see no issue. Don't forget that this is very similar to what happened to the old TK Maxx out at Harvey Norman when some "uptight snob" got it shut down because they weren't allowed to sell clothes, and one would imagine the immediate lowering in footfall played a part in the closure of B&Q as well.

I don't see any issue with that. A business shouldn't have to satisfy uptight snobs to open a premises. They should only have to worry about satisfying their customers.

'Uptight snobs'? Presumably you read 'Ann Summers' and jumped to conclusions. This is nothing to do with uptight snobs, it is looking at the appeal of our central shopping area to locals and tourists. Starbucks is a cafe, so not controvertial particularly. But if the central point of the city were just businesses of the type I described, including insurance offices and banks, it would be a very boring area and would not create any atmosphere at all.

The premises I listed all have blank or very uninteresting windows; why would anyone want to stroll in that kind of environment, and in the absence of people the cafes would not last long. These are the kind of reasons why planning is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Whats wrong with Ann summers?. I would not even class it as a sex shop it's a underwear shop with a small sex item area. It's not worse then what the kids see online...

Insurance offices have to go some where and city center is perfect as makes it easy for people to get into them.

Bookies I don't care its handy place to go while the misses is shopping I'm penny's.

There is more then the major coffee shops that open with no planing and go for retaining once open. As some times the smaller businesses who does this can't be closed while they wait for planing.

And with the tk Maxx still never got why people in Waterford got it closed down. As I find nothing wrong with them selling clothes.... Even if they had no permission as it beings people to that business Park.

I lived in Waterford for 4 years and I love the city and I do miss it but you can't always be doom and gloom about getting stuff for the city as any kind of shop is good and brings jobs and more money to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

People in Waterford didn't get TK Maxx closed down.

'Uptight snobs'? Presumably you read 'Ann Summers' and jumped to conclusions. This is nothing to do with uptight snobs, it is looking at the appeal of our central shopping area to locals and tourists. Starbucks is a cafe, so not controvertial particularly. But if the central point of the city were just businesses of the type I described, including insurance offices and banks, it would be a very boring area and would not create any atmosphere at all.

The premises I listed all have blank or very uninteresting windows; why would anyone want to stroll in that kind of environment, and in the absence of people the cafes would not last long. These are the kind of reasons why planning is necessary.

I read your entire post. And I'm of the opinion that someone that thinks a bookies or massage parlour isn't good enough for their precious little city centre then they are an uptight snob.

The reality is these places wouldn't be locating in the city centre if any decent shops were located here. But good shops don't come here and our ridiculous planning laws are partly to blame for that. If you don't want to have your sensibilities offended by all the plebs going to the bookies in the city centre then maybe you should favour making it easier for good retail businesses to set up in the city instead of forcing all these "undesirable" businesses out with laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Well has anybody been in yet?

Advertisement