Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks opening in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I will personally boycott this decision.It will lead to a proliferation of hipsters in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It was in a local paper last year that it was opening up in the closed down restaurant next to the entrance to city square dont know if thats still the case though

I remember posting about it in December 2014 actually

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878580&page=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It was in a local paper last year that it was opening up in the closed down restaurant next to the entrance to city square dont know if thats still the case though

I remember posting about it in December 2014 actually

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878580&page=19

That and others marked for demolition..city square extension.
    No hipster or myself for that matter would be seen dead in Starbucks when there are loads of places already to get better coffee.plenty of people around who like posing with their coffee and Apple product though who will be rejoicing.good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see Starbucks are advertising for staff for a new Waterford outlet. Any ideas where it's opening in the city?

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1543208

I heard it will be in the old Toymaster premises on John Roberts Sq.

Jambo wrote: »
    I heard it will be in the old Toymaster premises on John Roberts Sq.

Would be good to see it back in use and a nice location for outside cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Although it's always good to see new jobs, I hope it doesn't affect our local coffee shops. Blackfriars and Gallweys are just 2 of many we have in Waterford which are great places for coffee, food & cake. Hopefully we'll keep on supporting these local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I can't see myself passing up The Arch or Portico for my coffee. Although as the above poster said it is good to see new business opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Should be in the WIT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Think it's a different market to Arch, Blackfriars and any other place trying to make real coffee.

They'll be doing two things, taking market share from Costa and Insomnia, and probably expanding the coffee market overall because people who don't drink coffee might drink some of their sugary ****e and eventually start drinking coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

iseegirls wrote: »
    Although it's always good to see new jobs, I hope it doesn't affect our local coffee shops. Blackfriars and Gallweys are just 2 of many we have in Waterford which are great places for coffee, food & cake. Hopefully we'll keep on supporting these local businesses.

Totally agree with that.

Those cafes are using local suppliers so the knock on is much bigger then you think.

Starbucks will just import everything from the UK. As far as i know there is still a boycott of the English market starbucks in Cork. Traders dont want them in the city at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

iseegirls wrote: »
    Totally agree with that.

Those cafes are using local suppliers so the knock on is much bigger then you think.

Starbucks will just import everything from the UK. As far as i know there is still a boycott of the English market starbucks in Cork. Traders dont want them in the city at all!

This wont be the first Starbucks, bet you there will be another one or two opening within a short period of time... Once some of the existing business close, Starbucks will go back to one shop. Seems to be the business model up here in Dublin.

Starbucks will just import everything from the UK.
    Will have to get used to soya milk in the lattes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There doing a bit of work up by where Elverys used to be (well until recently). An empty unit there. Shame to see Toymaster gone, nothing seems to last in there.

Bet they'll be all young non-nationals hired.

edbrez wrote: »

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

So what if they do. What are you getting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Nah they will just hire the people who fit the role best, have a non ****ty entitled attitude and who are likely stay in the role for many years instead of bitching and whinging.

Maybe thats why all the "****ty" jobs that companies couldnt fill during the boom times are now filled by "young non-nationals".

What a moronic comment.nobody wants to hear that kind of crap here or most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Those poor poor people of no nationality, they need all the help they can get :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Jesus boy. Cant open your mouth around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

All the best to them. Great to see another shopfront about to be refreshed and re-opened, same with Weatherspoons. Bringing vibrancy back which will all compliment the shopping center development and city square re-development in years to come.

I obviously hope it won't affect the other one million local coffee shops in town, I personally love Galloways, however Starbucks offer a larger variety of shakes, iced drinks, cold coffees and ultimately choice, which can only be good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Jesus boy. Cant open your mouth around here.

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If they are the only people applying for the job, so what if they are hired?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Ill be staying away from it anyways and supporting local shops like blackfriars and portico. Starbucks business model is to close down local coffee shops sadly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You are aware Starbucks in Ireland is a franchise business, so it's not the overlords from head office have picked Waterford to inflict their wrath on??

Someone in Waterford, or possibly a neighbouring county, has decided to invest a LOT of money to open a starbucks franchise to turn a profit over a couple of years. Their drinks are probably going to be a lot more expensive than the local shops too, especially if you're going for the large option on their drinks(i ****ing hate the term "venti")

I personally like starbucks cold drinks, not many coffee shops offer cold options.

So what if they do. What are you getting at?

Wait 'till they ask your name to write on the paper cup and can't spell it.

Judging by the intelligence of some of these posts, I'm surprised you can spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I feel your pain Krzysztof... I just tell them my name is Tom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Ill be staying away from it anyways and supporting local shops like blackfriars and portico. Starbucks business model is to close down local coffee shops sadly.

Why is a local person using a franchise any different to a local person using their own name?

This kind of attitude isnt a million miles off this other clown who thinks all the "non-nationals" steal the jobs. People whinge about town being crap for shops then wont shop in the new shops unless they are opened by a blonde haired blue eyed Waterford person.

Do you take this attitude with every shop or just the new ones? Ever shop in Argos, Debenhams, Penneys or any of them other shops that arent from Ireland?

• Advertisement

Why is a local person using a franchise any different to a local person using their own name?

This kind of attitude isnt a million miles off this other clown who thinks all the "non-nationals" steal the jobs. People whinge about town being crap for shops then wont shop in the new shops unless they are opened by a blonde haired blue eyed Waterford person.

Do you take this attitude with every shop or just the new ones? Ever shop in Argos, Debenhams, Penneys or any of them other shops that arent from Ireland?

I'm not against new business opening, I welcome it but I'll stick with The Arch and Portico for my coffee because that is where I've been buying it all along. I like Badger & Dodo and 3fe coffees and that's where it is sold.
    As for the nationality of who serves me I couldn't care less, Portico is staffed by Americans so your served by locals argument is pointless.
    Also I've been in Starbucks and its a bit of a headwrecker, gimmicks like writing names on the cup, about 5 people behind the counter to pour your coffee. One takes your order, passes the info to the cup writer, who passes your info to the person who pours, who passes the info and cup to the person who takes the cup to the counter, then the caller calls you... 15 mins later you get called. Ridiculous.

Advertisement